PDA

View Full Version : PIP4499B: Start Up Lifter Tick Noise After Engine Has Been Off For 2 Hours Or More

WickedMom
01-31-2010, 11:44 AM
#PIP4499B: Start Up Lifter Tick Noise After Engine Has Been Off For 2 Hours Or More - AFM Engines - keywords BQMI - (Oct 29, 2009)

Subject: Start Up Lifter Tick Noise After Engine Has Been Off for 2 Hours or More - AFM Engines

Models: 2007 Cadillac Escalade
built before April 1, 2006 with 6.2L L92 Engine
(these engines were built with AFM Hardward but the AFM system was disabled)
2009 Buick Lacrosse Super, Allure Super (Canada Only)
2007 Buick Rainier
2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS
2007-2010 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe, Trail Blazer
2007-2009 Chevrolet Impala
2007 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2007-2010 GMC Envoy, Sierra, Yukon
2007-2008 Pontiac Grand Prix
2008-2009 Pontiac G8
2007-2009 Saab 97x
With an AFM (Active Fuel Management) V8 Engine:
(RPOs L76, L94, L99, LC9, LFA, LH6, LMG, LS4, LY5)

This PI was superseded to remove non-AFM engines from this PI because there is no longer an updated lifter in the works for non-AFM engines. Please discard PIP4499A.

Important: This PI only applies to AFM V8 engines above. It does not apply to Non-AFM Engines. If you are dealing with a Non-AFM engine that is experiencing a similar noise, please refer to the latest version of PIP4725.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
Condition/Concern:

Some customers may comment on a lifter tick noise that occurs after the engine has been off for at least 2 hours and can last for several minutes. In most cases, the noise will last less than 2 seconds, which should be classified as a short duration tick noise. While in other cases, the noise may last longer than 10 seconds, which should be classified as an extended duration tick noise.

This may be the result of dirty/low engine oil. dissolved air in the oil, low internal lifter reservoir level, and/or debris in the lifters.
Recommendation/Instructions:

If the SI diagnostics do not isolate the cause of this lifter tick noise and normal oil pressure is noted during the concern, perform the following suggestions as necessary:

1. Check the oil condition and level. If it's more than 1 quart low or if poor oil quality is noted, change the oil and filter, and re-evaluate the noise. Allow at least a 2 hour soak time between start ups when re-evaluating the noise.
2. If the tick lasts long enough, perform a cylinder power balance test with the Tech 2 to cancel each fuel injector while listening to the noise. If the noise is eliminated, or greatly improved, each time a specific fuel injector is cancelled, there is most likely a concern with the related piston pin or piston to cylinder wall clearance of that cylinder. If this does not isolate a specific cylinder, continue to the rest of the steps below.
3. If an extended duration tick is experienced from more than 1 lifter, replace the oil pump and oil pump o-ring to address potential dissolved air in the oil. Generally, this will not affect oil pressure or cause obvious air bubbles in the oil that can be visually identified.
4. If an extended duration tick is experienced from a single lifter, use the information below to determine if the suspect lifter pack is equipped with Eaton lifters or Delphi lifters. Replace all of the lifters on both banks if Eaton lifters are present. Replace all of the lifters on the suspect bank if Delphi lifters are present. The new lifters from GMSPO should be Delphi lifters.
• AFM Lifters:
http://gsi.xw.gm.com/image_en_us/gif/000/002/364/2364065.gif
• 1) Eaton - 3 Slots in Tube
2) Delphi - No Slots in Tube
• Non-AFM Lifters:

http://gsi.xw.gm.com/image_en_us/gif/000/002/364/2364066.gif
• 1) Eaton - 2 Parallel Clip Wires Visible
2) Delphi - 3 Clip Wires Visible
5. If a short duration tick noise is experienced and none of the information above helps, updated AFM lifters will most likely be needed to repair the noise but they will not be available until Spring 2010 at the earliest. They were supposed to be available during the 4th quarter of 2009 but further validation work is needed. This P.I. will be updated with additional information as soon as they are available. Replacing the lifters with the ones currently in GMSPO stock may not repair a short duration tick noise.

gr8lover
03-24-2010, 06:44 PM
Is it bad if you have a tick noise? should people be worried about it or is it normal and just a noise thing??

Rawyzf
03-25-2010, 06:20 AM
Interesting info...

616 of 933
03-25-2010, 10:53 AM
i am getting this but i have my line lock installed and dont want them to say its my fault

Panzer Leader
03-25-2010, 02:16 PM
Question? Had my car (V6) at the dealership. Car was off and making a similiar noise. The Service writers heard it not me. They thought it was fuel system related. Any ideas?

STL_G8GT
03-25-2010, 04:29 PM
Is it bad if you have a tick noise? should people be worried about it or is it normal and just a noise thing??

With a Non-DoD cam wouldn't it replace the lifters?

tptboy
06-11-2010, 09:21 PM
I'm getting this noise now....Should I have the lifters looked at or would switching to synthetic oil help this issue?

AVIDMOTION
01-01-2011, 02:59 AM
Clean oil, correct level not low and synthetic oil all seem to have an affect on the tap. However even with synthetic clean oil at correct level I still get the tap for 15 seconds at start up cold.

WickedMom
01-01-2011, 04:50 PM
Question? Had my car (V6) at the dealership. Car was off and making a similiar noise. The Service writers heard it not me. They thought it was fuel system related. Any ideas?

Injectors can click/tap but I don't think it would be intermittent.

Sent from my amazing and awesome iPhone4

jonnynadeau
01-02-2011, 01:16 AM
:facepalm2:
Damn It! I have this problem, Should I bring the beast into the stealership? It ticks heavily for more than 10 seconds.

It's A G8!
01-03-2011, 09:08 AM
Mine is doing this now.

Chooch
01-03-2011, 12:16 PM
Same here, My good fortune being the dealer has done Mobil 1 changes since new every 4k miles (I know overkill but it cant hurt for sure), and no mods so in a perfect world, this should be fixed no questions asked..... then again who knows, we shall see. Service department has been excellent so far so while I have some worry, this should for all purposes be a non issue. I hope :)

jonnynadeau
01-04-2011, 02:43 PM
Is this Warranty work or what?

J Wikoff
02-26-2011, 04:55 PM
My dealer replaced all my lifters this week because of short duration tick. I don't have a copy of the bulletin, but its number is 10-06-01-007B

wood81
03-09-2011, 12:51 AM
My wife's GT is doing this, but only after the car has been off for several days. My Trans Am sounded like a sewing machine the entire time I owned it and I never had issues with it so I figured it was a normal LS family motor noise

Sephiroth
03-09-2011, 04:45 AM
Mine does this as well ~ 60% of the time, it's only after it's been off for at least 12 hours or more however.

J Wikoff
03-09-2011, 09:33 AM
Keep in mind, GM probably wouldn't release new AFM lifters if they weren't concerned that worse things than tick could happen. The V8's have ticked for years with the standard lifters and they didn't redesign them (oddly enough, lifter tick isn't as near as common in 3800's that used the same lifters). So why would they treat the AFM lifters differently unless there is a better reason than simple ticking? There's already documented AFM lifter failures out there. Food for thought...

Mier
06-09-2011, 04:23 AM
is there any audio available for this tick? since getting my headers I hear more noise which Charlie says is normal but I'm not versed in what's a bad tick versus an ok tick. I'm hoping it's a loud noticeable tick.

Mier
06-14-2011, 02:23 PM
Found an answer to what it sounds like, it sounds horrible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXKeqVWdcxY&NR=1

pha|anx
06-14-2011, 02:35 PM
holy. fuck.

Kaos
06-14-2011, 03:39 PM
Damn! That sounds like the diesel 2 1/2 ton truck I had in the army! F'in ouch!

Sent using Tapatalk Pro.

bigtreepu
06-15-2011, 06:29 AM
Stop revving/running that engine. That sounds like a bad lifter to me. Don't let it take out any cam lobes. Fix ASAP.

Rawyzf
06-15-2011, 06:34 AM
That's bad.

Mier
06-15-2011, 08:18 AM
Just to point out that is not my car that was someone else. *knocks on all wood in area*

mgm6.0l
06-16-2011, 07:38 AM
That sounds like crap, i thought mine was loud shows me how picky I am.

HEXEM
07-15-2011, 09:49 PM
Hi all,

This issue is also bad downunder. I've been told its a valvetrain issue (lifter/cam/preload etc etc)

I have had 3 engines now in my SSV and the latest started doing it at 8,000klm (or 5,000miles). The engine has now done approximately 11,000klm. The GM rep here has said it has to be worse than what I have before they will do any work to it.

Here's a video of my car. You can hear the clatter, clatter...

http://s280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/VE-SSV/Cold%20Start%20Knock/?action=view&current=IMG_0202.mp4
Cheers
Phil

TopFig1
12-26-2011, 05:01 PM
After dealing with the same issue, my dealer replaced the camshaft and all 16 lifters. Problem gone.

Fig

tazmanaic
03-27-2012, 07:42 PM
My 09 G8 developed an oil leak with only 16 thousand miles on it. Took it in to my local Chevy Dealer , they put tracer dye in it and told me it was a loose oil filter. After a few weeks and about 600 more miles i put it back on the lift and found more oil. Went back to my dealer where they proceeded to give me a loaner vehicle, and 2 days later i got my baby boy back good as new. Or so i thought! Now at start up i hear the tick noise , and on occasion i smell burning oil like when it hits the exhaust manifold. Help Advice should i go back to my dealer?

1gr8ate
04-14-2012, 12:53 PM
Mine was slightly tapping with stock rockers found that the dod/afm lifters have problems retaining oil i swaped to a 20/50 syth oil from 10/30 and went it was quiet. Might be a simple fix for some..

texn884
04-15-2012, 12:57 PM
Wow when my lifter went it did not sound that fricking bad. You got some major internal issue with that engine. Time for a new engine, like I got.

texn884
04-15-2012, 01:04 PM
Hexem, yours is almost how mine sounded. The first dealer replaced all lifters and the cam and it lasted 450 miles. They did not want to drop the oil pan to see how much metal was in the oil so the metal began to eat up the lifters and cam again and I demamded a new engine, and I got a new engine.

I hope everyone checked out how damaged the lifters were becasue the metal is still in the engine eating away at it again.

foreosu
04-20-2012, 04:16 AM
Dropping mine off at the dealership tomorrow. I've noticed this for some time, but I'm getting ready to put some mods on this beast, so I want to have things checked out now while she's bone stock. The car has always run great - I hope by them screwing with it that they don't jack something up and cause more problems. But I guess if I don't do anything, it could have some major effects long-term, so its time to take her in and see what's going on.

Mobil 1 oil changes ever ~5k miles and the oil level has always looked good, so hopefully its nothing major. Will report back early next week.

foreosu
04-23-2012, 05:35 PM
Dealer says that 2 different techs checked out the car and found nothing. Ran some sort of diagnostic test and nothing came up. Good to know that nothing major is going on, but frustrating because I know what I hear.

williamGT
04-27-2012, 09:33 AM
Stop revving/running that engine. That sounds like a bad lifter to me. Don't let it take out any cam lobes. Fix ASAP.
That's my car, it comes and goes, at that time I took the car to GM and they said to change my oil and it would be gone, I changed my oil and stopped. Just last week it does it again, 1 day after I did an oil change (Napa gold filter with 8.8L of Mobil 1 syn). GM looked at it yesterday and they are going to replace my lifters and change the oil...I noticed yesterday when I checked the oil that I seen little slivers of metal shavings on my dipstick....my car has 1 year of powertrain warranty left.

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9780 using Tapatalk

pha|anx
04-27-2012, 06:42 PM
That's my car, it comes and goes, at that time I took the car to GM and they said to change my oil and it would be gone, I changed my oil and stopped. Just last week it does it again, 1 day after I did an oil change (Napa gold filter with 8.8L of Mobil 1 syn). GM looked at it yesterday and they are going to replace my lifters and change the oil...I noticed yesterday when I checked the oil that I seen little slivers of metal shavings on my dipstick....my car has 1 year of powertrain warranty left.

ugh. we have nearly identical mileage. I can't help but envision the day I fire mine up and hear the dreaded 'tick'... keeping my fingers crossed. let us know how it goes, what they end up doing!

:brock:

williamGT
04-27-2012, 07:22 PM
Its suck:( I have my sitting in my driveway, I wanna use it...GM here says I can still drive it, but I think its not a good idea. I bought a magnetic oil drain plug, I checked my oil today and the shavings are so small.

ugh. we have nearly identical mileage. I can't help but envision the day I fire mine up and hear the dreaded 'tick'... keeping my fingers crossed. let us know how it goes, what they end up doing!

:brock:

06chevyss
09-11-2012, 06:16 PM
I believe i have inherited the dreaded lifter tick upon start up today in my garage i heard it shut it down rite away poped the hood started it again it laster like 5 second and went away. is this covered under any kind of warranty? its an 08 with 71k on it :facepalm2:

Crazy Paul
09-11-2012, 07:09 PM
PIP4499D
May 25 2010.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1SpzcAH9ONzRmpMOWpmQUY5R1k/edit?pli=1

aus2usv8
09-12-2012, 06:20 PM
Good info to know.....thanks Crazy Paul!

GM Customer Service
09-13-2012, 06:56 AM
I believe i have inherited the dreaded lifter tick upon start up today in my garage i heard it shut it down rite away poped the hood started it again it laster like 5 second and went away. is this covered under any kind of warranty? its an 08 with 71k on it :facepalm2:

06chevyss,

This concern may be covered under your powertrain warranty. Would you like me to check the expiration for you? If so please PM me your VIN.

Thank you,

Tina
GM Customer Service

jonnynadeau
09-13-2012, 09:33 AM
06chevyss,

This concern may be covered under your powertrain warranty. Would you like me to check the expiration for you? If so please PM me your VIN.

Thank you,

Tina
GM Customer Service

Hey Tina could you check if my powertrain warranty is still good too? I have 63k miles.

iPhone, Tapatalk, enough said!

06chevyss
09-13-2012, 09:35 AM
Tina you have a PM

Thank you Tom

aus2usv8
09-20-2012, 08:17 PM
06chevyss,

Thank you,

Tina
GM Customer ServiceTina, good to see GM corporate is still on these enthusiast forums! I had an opportunity to meet & talk with Scott Settlemire....famous "F-body Father." At a GM event for the military. Understand he's all over the Camaro forums too. Great to have the first-hand discussions with folks like yourself.

GM Customer Service
09-21-2012, 12:12 PM
Tina, good to see GM corporate is still on these enthusiast forums! I had an opportunity to meet & talk with Scott Settlemire....famous "F-body Father." At a GM event for the military. Understand he's all over the Camaro forums too. Great to have the first-hand discussions with folks like yourself.

Aus2usv8,

That is exciting that you have meet Scott! We appreciate your support! If you ever have any questions, comments or concerns please feel free to reach out to me.

Thank you,

Tina
GM Customer Service