PDA

View Full Version : Boost questions.

99-LS1-SS
01-29-2010, 06:00 AM
For the people that understand this process better than me, what supporting modifications to the heads will enhance power with a supercharger. What, specifically, needs to be done to the heads?

BlownPoncho
01-29-2010, 06:09 AM
Obviously A por and polish job would make some more power, but from what I have read these heads flow great on both the intake and exhaust side. I believe that the exhaust side could be made to flow a little better to take advantage of how well the intake side does... so maybe clean up the exhaust side and a larger exhaust valve. But I am a rookie that just my 1 cent lol

GeorgeInNePa
01-29-2010, 06:25 AM
Port and Polish job, definitely the exhaust side, maybe the intake as well. You do have the option of just cleaning up the intake side. Also, have a good valve job done. Since you are there, upgrade your valve springs and keepers, locks, etc. Your valves should be ok, but some people don't like the hollow stem intakes on boosted engines.

norm8332
01-29-2010, 07:03 AM
I only did the valve job.

BlownPoncho
01-29-2010, 07:36 AM
Norm I thought I read somewhere that you were getting some valve float before you did your cam. Is that true? If so would upgrading to a slightly heavier valve spring be good? just a thought

norm8332
01-29-2010, 07:51 AM
Yeah there was some, but I believe it was mostly caused by an exhaust restriction.

When I said only the valve job, that was only because the heads were off when the cam went in just recently. I did get new springs, but that was because the cam lift exceeded the specifications of the stock springs.

IMO you will be fine with your planned mods. The only thing you might need is a Magnavolt or BAP if you want to put on a smaller pulley.

99-LS1-SS
01-29-2010, 08:21 AM
The fuel system shouldn't be a problem. I'm redoing it.

Ktlplxm
01-29-2010, 11:42 PM
Do not touch the intake side of the heads. If you have to touch the heads, upgrade the valvesprings and get a good valve job. If you still want to do a little more, do exhasut side work. Or do you just want the heads I pulled off of mine? Its not like they're doing anything except holding the table down. They are bare now, but had the exhaust worked and a good valve job.

BlownPoncho
01-30-2010, 04:57 AM
That is what i had planned to do to the heads.... The most i would do to the intake side of things is gasket match the supercharger manifold and the heads. but that is just to cut down on restriction

Ktlplxm
01-30-2010, 05:02 AM
That is what i had planned to do to the heads.... The most i would do to the intake side of things is gasket match the supercharger manifold and the heads. but that is just to cut down on restriction

Well you don't have to worry abou tit then. The supercharger base would have to be matched to the heads . The supercharger ports are smaller than the heads, and oddly shaped.

norm8332
01-30-2010, 05:51 AM
I didn't have the supercharger base/shell ported because it would cost a lot (alot of work) and according to those who did the porting on several cars, it was only worth around 10 hp with a stage 1 cam.

It is supposed to be that way for anti-reversal or something.

Ktlplxm
01-30-2010, 06:56 AM
I didn't have the supercharger base/shell ported because it would cost a lot (alot of work) and according to those who did the porting on several cars, it was only worth around 10 hp with a stage 1 cam.

It is supposed to be that way for anti-reversal or something.

It isn't worth much at all. I was just informing Poncho of the invalidity of porting the heads to match the supercharger base

BlownPoncho
01-30-2010, 07:07 AM
Sweet... justthe exhaust side then shouldnt be too costly

Ktlplxm
01-30-2010, 07:16 AM
not at all. I would recommend good valves but they are by no means a necessity

BlownPoncho
01-30-2010, 07:19 AM
Well I think Ill do valves when I upgrade cam I think

Robert@KBXPerformance
02-02-2010, 08:24 PM
For the people that understand this process better than me, what supporting modifications to the heads will enhance power with a supercharger. What, specifically, needs to be done to the heads?

Unless you plan to get REAL serious then just leave the heads alone mostly. Boost it and throw a FI friendly cam in there and call it a day. It is not really worth it to touch the heads unless you are going for big horsepower and in that case you would have had to build the bottom end of the engine to support that power anyways.