PDA

View Full Version : "Wheel marks" in paint

rlafash
10-22-2008, 06:35 AM
I took delivery of a 2008 G8 GT in early September. Once the exterior of the car got rained on, I noticed what I describe as "wheel marks" on the hood and roof of the car. The car is painted Magnetic Gray Mettalic. I expressed my displeasure with the wheel marks to the salesperson and the Service Manager who both stated that they do not use a "wheel" in the shop. I reminded them that the car was a dealer trade and that the wheel marks may have come from the original dealer. They agreed to "re-detail" the car the result of which showed little if any improvement in the finish. At this point I spoke with the Manager of the dealership who took the position that the marks were found on ALL vehicles, regardless of manufacture, both foreign and domestic manufactured in the past two years. He described the marks as "spider webs" and stated that this is not covered by Pontiac. I've had the car examined by a body shop and a Chevrolet Dealer Detail Shop both of whom identify the marks as "wheel marks". The detail shop says they can get the marks out, however, the selling dealer will not pay to have this done. Any and all comments and suggestions are appreciated.

GRRRR8
10-22-2008, 06:40 AM
Try to clay bar it 1st then use a Mothers power ball for paint and that should do the trick. You can use any high quality paint cleaner and then wax the car.

norm8332
10-22-2008, 07:09 AM
I had too until I applied a couple coats of Rejex. They are gone.

GRRRR8
10-22-2008, 07:12 AM
I think these marks are from the protective sheets that are applied to the car. My car was covered with them, but they all came off.

08G8V8
10-22-2008, 09:13 AM
I had rail dust on my Panther Black G8 that I discovered after getting it home and in the garage under lights. I took it back and they "clayed" the car. Looked good, on the overcast day I picked it up. Got it home and in the garage under lights, and I had scuff marks and swirls all over the paint. The scuff marks were random areas, as randomly as the rail dust was, and appeared they used some sort of abrasive to remove them. Took it back to have it polished/buffed. Picked it up again on a cloudy day and it looked alright. I should have had them put it under lights for me before I left, but I didn't. Got home, same thing. They barely corrected any of it.

Took it to a local detailer who did a full polish on the car, who specializes in black paint. Looks great now, but I had to pay out of my pocket to do it. I didn't want to fight/argue with the dealer, and I didn't want them touching it again.

But I will definitely let them know that I don't want their "courtesy wash" anytime I bring my vehicle in for service.

BlueJacket
10-22-2008, 09:19 AM
My paint was a mess too when I got the car. It looked fine out side but once I got it under some lights I had marks and rail dust all over. I ended up getting a buffer and spent two days fixing it. It still is not 100% but it works until spring when I will do a fully detail on it.

-Ray-
10-22-2008, 11:03 AM
I took delivery of a 2008 G8 GT in early September. Once the exterior of the car got rained on, I noticed what I describe as "wheel marks" on the hood and roof of the car. The car is painted Magnetic Gray Mettalic. I expressed my displeasure with the wheel marks to the salesperson and the Service Manager who both stated that they do not use a "wheel" in the shop. I reminded them that the car was a dealer trade and that the wheel marks may have come from the original dealer. They agreed to "re-detail" the car the result of which showed little if any improvement in the finish. At this point I spoke with the Manager of the dealership who took the position that the marks were found on ALL vehicles, regardless of manufacture, both foreign and domestic manufactured in the past two years. He described the marks as "spider webs" and stated that this is not covered by Pontiac. I've had the car examined by a body shop and a Chevrolet Dealer Detail Shop both of whom identify the marks as "wheel marks". The detail shop says they can get the marks out, however, the selling dealer will not pay to have this done. Any and all comments and suggestions are appreciated.

Contact Pontiac customer service. Explain the situation. Be nice to those who answer the phone, they can help.

norm8332
10-22-2008, 05:29 PM
Contact Pontiac customer service. Explain the situation. Be nice to those who answer the phone, they can help.

I second this, I ended up with my problem corrected and a GM care package for free oil changes and tire rotations until 33000 miles.

John Wilson
10-22-2008, 10:17 PM
I have pics...you should have seen mine!!

l.i. bruce fan
10-24-2008, 07:16 PM
I have pics...you should have seen mine!!

John would you post the pics, I'm curious if its the same thing I noticed on my liquid red after the first or second wash, once I washed off whatever the dealer prepped the car with.

Chewy
10-25-2008, 06:02 AM
I took my car from the dealer with no detailing completed. I have them all over my car. It needs clayed VERY badly which will happen today for sure as I am having all my protective vinyl put on on Tuesday and want it as close to perfect as possible.

Good luck