PDA

View Full Version : MANOFSTEEL'S Cam!

Blackdevil77
10-22-2008, 06:00 AM
http://www.neweraperformanceparts.com/default.asp?S=503&A=E&PKV=nondod228|0

New Era updated their site and put this cam on it! MANOFSTEEL like's it and so far hasn't had any problems what-so-ever last time I checked. What do you guys think of this cam? How about compared to the LS3 "hot" cam that Charlie wants to do or the Livernois cam's?

GRRRR8
10-22-2008, 06:02 AM
I think Livernois will make a little more power, LS3 will be close, and they all will make more with head work!

99-LS1-SS
10-22-2008, 06:07 AM
Any specs besides the 228/240?

Blackdevil77
10-22-2008, 06:10 AM
Are these the Livernois cams for this car?
http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/view.phtml?f_cat=Performance+Packages%3A+General+M otors%3A+L92+%2F+LS3%3A+Camshafts

Andy@Livernois
10-22-2008, 06:16 AM
I would say its a decent cam, but it's a little wide on the spread between intake and exhaust for my taste. While the L92 heads like a split pattern camshaft, usually a 6-8 degree split is optimal when you are dealing with less then 400 CID with these heads. We came up with our stage 1 cam to suit the then non-existant 6.0 when using that head. The beauty of doing that is we have a cam that we feel is a great balance of power, driveability, fuel economy, and sound...

GeorgeInNePa
10-22-2008, 08:24 AM
Are these the Livernois cams for this car?
http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/view.phtml?f_cat=Performance+Packages%3A+General+M otors%3A+L92+%2F+LS3%3A+Camshafts

Yes

MANOFSTEEL69
10-22-2008, 08:26 AM
Please keep in mind fellas that this cam was also designed taking into consideration that I will be doing the supercharger in the future. ;)

Andy@Livernois
10-22-2008, 08:28 AM
hear ya there, now make a damn appointment already :D that stage 1 cam has amde over 700hp on boosted apps too :D

Mike P
10-22-2008, 08:36 AM
I would say its a decent cam, but it's a little wide on the spread between intake and exhaust for my taste. While the L92 heads like a split pattern camshaft, usually a 6-8 degree split is optimal when you are dealing with less then 400 CID with these heads. We came up with our stage 1 cam to suit the then non-existant 6.0 when using that head. The beauty of doing that is we have a cam that we feel is a great balance of power, driveability, fuel economy, and sound...

Andy: What is the most mild cam you guys have for the L76? I'm leaning towards going to the LS3 Hot Cam, but am not locked on to it.

I'm looking for a cam to get rid of the DOD/AFM internals (piece of mind), pick up some decent hp & torque, and have little to no lope at idle.

What could I go with that you guys offer?

I've definitely gotta come down there at the very least to do the Underdrive Pulley, but would like to order & have you guys install a ported TB & Intake Manifold.

Thanks in advance about the mild cam info..... :)

Andy@Livernois
10-22-2008, 08:59 AM
I am trying to get a video of our stage 1 cam. I think it is the perfect cam for what most people are wanting, and I think it sounds great. Most people that run this cam combine it with headers and stock exhaust for stealth...

We are doing a trailblazer SS with this combo, but it will have headers and a corsa cat back with no cats, but the lope shout be about the same, just slightly different tone...

wreckwriter
10-22-2008, 09:07 AM
Lope rocks. nothing sounds or feels better than a lopey cam. fine line of course though....

Mike P
10-22-2008, 09:31 AM
Tom your a mad man. I can't have lope for my daily driver.

You're too cool for me! :)

Mike P
10-22-2008, 09:35 AM
I am trying to get a video of our stage 1 cam. I think it is the perfect cam for what most people are wanting, and I think it sounds great. Most people that run this cam combine it with headers and stock exhaust for stealth...

We are doing a trailblazer SS with this combo, but it will have headers and a corsa cat back with no cats, but the lope shout be about the same, just slightly different tone...

Andy: Thanks for the information. I would definitely like to see a video clip of this cam. I've got the Kooks LT Headers, Xpipe, high flow cats, with the stock mufflers, and for me the sound is nice and stealthy.

At WOT it has some grunt.

This stage 1 cam sounds like a very good option.

wreckwriter
10-22-2008, 09:43 AM
Tom your a mad man. I can't have lope for my daily driver.

You're too cool for me! :)

Of course you can! I've done it a time or 2....

MtbDoc
10-22-2008, 10:23 AM

What sort of power should one expect to see out of such a combo? Gas mileage?

GeorgeInNePa
10-22-2008, 10:32 AM
What sort of power should one expect to see out of such a combo? Gas mileage?

1 better.

What sort of power with CAI, ported throttle body and manifold, headers and stock heads.

Same as above except with heads ported to work with the stage 1 cam.

Andy@Livernois
10-22-2008, 11:41 AM
I know on an LS2 combo such as this it makes about 410-430 rwhp, I would expect similar on this, the ported manifold and TB would help a little about 10-15. Actually that TBSS should be a good example of where it should end up. The G8 should be higher as the TBSS rear diff sucks some serious power.

Mike P
10-22-2008, 09:57 PM
I know on an LS2 combo such as this it makes about 410-430 rwhp, I would expect similar on this, the ported manifold and TB would help a little about 10-15. Actually that TBSS should be a good example of where it should end up. The G8 should be higher as the TBSS rear diff sucks some serious power.

This is awesome news. I think I could be a happy camper with 400+ rwhp and 400+ rwtq. I would be content running consistant 12s.

Nice!

GeorgeInNePa
10-22-2008, 10:00 PM
This is awesome news. I think I could be a happy camper with 400+ rwhp and 400+ rwtq. I would be content running consistant 12s.

Nice!

That's the big one. I want (need?) 400ftlbs. rwtq. That's one of the most important things to me.

The car weighs 4000lbs without my fat ass in it.

Torque is king!

Art708
10-23-2008, 03:09 AM
I just LOVE to hear a lopey cam....music to my ears.

jbradsh1
10-23-2008, 04:09 AM

Andy;
I have a few questions regarding a cam upgrade.
1. how did you guys arrive at the stage one cam specs? In other words, were several cams tested using different profiles, etc.?
2. Any downside to using the stage 1 cam on an otherwise stock motor ?
3.Will the stage 1 cam work well with an unported head, i.e., stoc head and intake (I do have Kooks shorty headers with high flow cats, stock cat-back, hsrk, roto-fab, VMS tune)?
4. Does a higher performance cam such as your stage 1 cam compromise long term reliability (up to 100,000 miles lets say)?
5. What kind of horsepower & torque numbers would you estimate a set up such as mine would give with the stage 1 cam, ballpark?
Your insightful info is appreciated as usual!

Andy@Livernois
10-23-2008, 07:52 AM
1. how did you guys arrive at the stage one cam specs? In other words, were several cams tested using different profiles, etc.?
IIRC over 100 different cam profiles were tested between our engine dyno, chassis dyno, and on the street. A big part of this was we were they first shop in the USA to have the L92 heads in our hands to play around with. GM supplied us the heads for development/testing purposes a good 8 months before you could even get castings through GM parts

2. Any downside to using the stage 1 cam on an otherwise stock motor ?
your gas mileage will probably go down because it will be that much more fun to beat the ever living daylights out of :D

3.Will the stage 1 cam work well with an unported head, i.e., stoc head and intake (I do have Kooks shorty headers with high flow cats, stock cat-back, hsrk, roto-fab, VMS tune)?

the stage one cam is optimized for unported heads, but you of course would benefit from head/intake work as well. I would prefer to see long tubes, but It wouldn't hinder the over all number too much. a retune would be required

4. Does a higher performance cam such as your stage 1 cam compromise long term reliability (up to 100,000 miles lets say)?

while there are alot of factors that can affect this, the cam would not directly effect the long term durability. We have customers with over 70k miles on much more aggressive stuff.

5. What kind of horsepower & torque numbers would you estimate a set up such as mine would give with the stage 1 cam, ballpark?
It will be difficult to get an exact number until a G8 actually rolls through here and has these mods done, but on an LS2 w/ L92 heads (almost identical to an l76) they make about 400/400 through an auto...

wreckwriter
10-23-2008, 08:00 AM
I assume "Stage 1" is your mildest stick? What other options are there? I went to your site but don't see anything specific to L76/G8. I guess I should be looking at the L92 stuff?

Andy@Livernois
10-23-2008, 08:33 AM
yeah, it's under L92 stuff, I asked rick to reorganize the site a little, and add L76 to the l92/ls3 section. I also want him to move the G8 package to the L92 area instead of the ls1/2/6 area

jbradsh1
10-23-2008, 11:33 AM
Andy; Thanks for the straightforward reply. Last question: running this cam on my car, would I need a converter for this cam to work well with my set-up?

Andy@Livernois
10-23-2008, 11:35 AM
we have never needed a converter with this cam. But it wouldn't hurt ;)

jbradsh1
10-23-2008, 12:56 PM
Thanks again Andy.

Andy@Livernois
10-23-2008, 01:05 PM
no problem