PDA

View Full Version : What would you pay for this car?

hagarr
01-20-2010, 04:30 PM
It's a former rental...24k miles...or do I even want it? I would have to replace this car in three years since my company pays me a stipend plus mileage. I would probably put 20k annually easily. My neighbor would put leather in it for me...

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&csDlId=&csDgId=&listingId=31120973&listingRecNum=1&criteria=sf1Dir%3DDESC%26alMdId%3D21186%26mkId%3D2 0035%26stkTyp%3DU%26mdId%3D21186%26rd%3D75%26crSrt Flds%3DstkTypId-feedSegId-mkId-mdId%26zc%3D77449%26rn%3D0%26PMmt%3D1-1-0%26stkTypId%3D28881%26sf2Dir%3DASC%26sf1Nm%3Dpric e%26sf2Nm%3Dmiles%26alMkId%3D20035%26rpp%3D50%26fe edSegId%3D28705&aff=national

Thanks for your thoughts.

DRCUSTOMPARTS
01-20-2010, 04:36 PM
I paid $20K for my rental GT with about the same miles a year ago, but it seems the price on used ones has gone up since then. Offer them $20K and you'll probably get it for $22K or so.

Remikinz
01-20-2010, 04:45 PM
ehhh I would have some concerns about purchasing a used rental car... god only knows what abuse its been through... it IS certified so atleast you would have the warranty

RapidG8GXP
01-20-2010, 04:45 PM
KBB says it's worth 26k, so I'd say that is a good price.

Take it for a thorough test drive though.. look especially at the front end to see if the LCA's were replaced or not, and that any recalls and TSB's were done (GMVIS can tell you a lot.. ask for a copy)

Good luck.

pokey
01-20-2010, 04:48 PM
I would pass on a rental if you can wait and keep looking. Some maybe most are ok, but do you want to take the risk?

DRCUSTOMPARTS
01-20-2010, 05:17 PM
I've had my rental for a year now, the only thing it was in the shop for was the LCA's and to replace the hood latch cable that froze in the winter. I don't why so many people think a rental is bad, they are better maintained than a private owner car.

pokey
01-20-2010, 05:20 PM
True, only personal preference for me. Though...With all the work I've had to have done to mine I bought new it maybe would have been better for someone else to take care of all that! (and I would have saved a few bucks)

Remikinz
01-20-2010, 05:25 PM
I've had my rental for a year now, the only thing it was in the shop for was the LCA's and to replace the hood latch cable that froze in the winter. I don't why so many people think a rental is bad, they are better maintained than a private owner car.

I fear buying a rental because usually they get the snot kicked out of them... a v8 rental? mmm probably took a few beatings

DRCUSTOMPARTS
01-20-2010, 05:39 PM
Well mine's getting beat even more by me so what's the difference? The motor & trans are made to take a beating, and if it breaks they'll fix it for free.

r33pwrd
01-20-2010, 06:32 PM
KBB says it's worth 26k, so I'd say that is a good price.

Take it for a thorough test drive though.. look especially at the front end to see if the LCA's were replaced or not, and that any recalls and TSB's were done (GMVIS can tell you a lot.. ask for a copy)

Good luck.

I doubt KBB takes in consideration its a rental return with a "blemished title" In WA that will always be stated on the title and it does hurt resale.

I would buy a rental return but it would have to be a hell of a deal! (not 1 or 2 K less)

RapidG8GXP
01-20-2010, 07:11 PM
I doubt KBB takes in consideration its a rental return with a "blemished title" In WA that will always be stated on the title and it does hurt resale.

I would buy a rental return but it would have to be a hell of a deal! (not 1 or 2 K less)

Buying a rental car is always a crapshoot.. there's a 50/50 chance you'll either get what you paid for.. or GET what you paid for!

Which is why the second paragraph of my post is so important.

Not every state makes a distinction between a former rental and any other garden variety used car.. which is why, again, the second paragraph of my post is so important to follow. IMHO, of course:)

DRCUSTOMPARTS
01-20-2010, 07:15 PM
It seems a lot more people have trouble with their new G8 than I have with my used rental. If you check out the car thoroughly, then you know what you're getting.

RapidG8GXP
01-20-2010, 07:19 PM
Holy crap... my KBB says $19950.

I never pay more then trade in for a used car though.

Wasn't sure what condition the car was in (can't REALLY tell by pics alone), so I went with the "clean retail" price.

BTW, NADA lists it at 26.9K as well.

hagarr
01-20-2010, 08:35 PM
I know three people including myself that didn't pay that much for a new G8 and that's with premium package which this car doesn't have.

The OP asked our thoughts about the deal... I would pay $20k at most for a used G8 unless it was a GXP. Even then I would only pay more for a manual GXP.

I'm gonna have to go with you on this. I was thinking $20K tops since it is a rental base G8 GT. I did however sense something on the front/driver suspension. I am thinking no repairs have been made to the suspension. That $26K KBB figure is waaay off in my opinion. I will admit the non-electric seats kinda bothers me. The flip key is very beat up as well...how do you get replacements?

I have been trying to sell my Lexus and as soon as it sells it will be G8 time.

Demos-Analem-Kratos
01-20-2010, 09:28 PM
look under the front of the car and see how many people ran the car up on a curb when parking it.:facepalm2:

I am not a fan of rentals. Mainly because of the terms. "Did you drive it like a rental?" and "he drives that thing like he stole it." I know i have put some rentals through abuse i never would have done with my own car. You just hope and pray nobody was dumb enough to neutral drop it. Also find out how many sets of tires they have put on it. Who knows if they would tell you the truth on that though....

DRCUSTOMPARTS
01-20-2010, 10:51 PM
How would he find out how many sets of tires it had, he's not buying it from the rental company. You guys really say some foolish things.

CanadianEh
01-21-2010, 05:16 AM
who really cares how many sets of tires the thing has had.... if any of you are like me you drive your cars harder then someone who rented it would anyways. If you seen the black marks in front of my driveway you'd agree and the only issues ive has were cosmetic. We bought a rental 95 pontiac grand prix had something like 60k on it and drove it for 11 or 12 years before stuff started having issues and we dumped it. Not saying buying retals is 0 risk but if you dont mind taking a risk to save a few bucks its definitely worth thinking about.

travis gore
01-21-2010, 06:32 AM
I have bought a rental car before,had to put a tranny in it. I would not buy a rental myself. But good luck you can not buy a new one. so if you want one it will have to be used

DRCUSTOMPARTS
01-21-2010, 07:39 AM
I bought a new car that needed a new trans after 20,000 miles, so what's your point? Rental cars come with the same 100,000 mile powertrain warranty as any other used G8.

Remikinz
01-21-2010, 08:12 AM
Well mine's getting beat even more by me so what's the difference? The motor & trans are made to take a beating, and if it breaks they'll fix it for free.

I would rather buy a used car that was taken care of and treated nicely than a car that was beaten relentlessly... and who cares if they fix it for free... if the car is beat to hell and needs alot of repairs thats alot of time without the car your paying for every month... who needs that??

I understand your bias since you have purchased a used rental and I assume it has worked out for you seeing as you are recommending purchasing one. Perhaps you got lucky and got a car that wasnt TOO beat up but buying a used fleet vehicle is a pretty big risk warranty or no warranty.

And I forgot who mentioned it but having a car as a fleet vehicle DOES effect the resale value. Carfax usually lists fleet usage as a flag. KBB does not take into consideration the carfax when its talking book value.

Either way good luck to the OP just make sure you check that car inside and out CAREFULLY (especially the undercarraige) and if you notice ANYTHING unusual either make the dealer fix it before you sign ANYTHING or just walk away... Im sure you could find some better deals out there

DRCUSTOMPARTS
01-21-2010, 08:21 AM
How do you know that a used non-rental isn't beat? It's not like you can talk to the former owner if it's on a used car lot. If it's a demo then everyone and their mother has driven it, which is no different than a rental. And by the way, according to my insurance company my former rental car is valued the same as any other non-rental in KBB, so you're wrong about that.

09SlateG8
01-21-2010, 08:54 AM
I bought my 09 G8 GT (every option except Sunroof) in February 2009. It had 3K miles on. It wasn't a rental though. Just some guy who wanted a 2005 Chevy SSR pickup instead. They wanted 23,900 for it and would not budge from that price. It was certified also so I got the 4/48 bumper to bumper as well. So.... I think the price tag is a little high for what it is. With that said, I looked all over the country and found that prices vary quite a bit depending on where you are.

DRCUSTOMPARTS
01-21-2010, 09:03 AM
The prices on the G8's seems to have gone up. I paid $20K for mine a year ago and the retail value on KBB is $25K.

r33pwrd
01-21-2010, 09:33 AM
The prices on the G8's seems to have gone up. I paid $20K for mine a year ago and the retail value on KBB is $25K.

I can buy a new G8 GT still for 28K so there is NO way a used one would sell for 25K around here...

DRCUSTOMPARTS
01-21-2010, 09:55 AM
The used ones are advertised for more than $25K in the Chicago area. I've seen them for more than $25K on Ebay too.

r33pwrd
01-21-2010, 11:01 AM
The used ones are advertised for more than $25K in the Chicago area. I've seen them for more than $25K on Ebay too.

I can ask 4 million for my house but it still only worth 400K ;)

there are a bunch of new ones up here for 27-28K

r33pwrd
01-21-2010, 11:03 AM
The highest "bid on" G8 on ebay is only at 18,600 and it ends in 44 minutes!

There are Gt's with buy it now at 22-24K and not selling.

dukeofpg
01-21-2010, 11:10 AM
The first G8 I drove was a rental. I have driven rental G8s in Tampa, Chicago and San Francisco. I drove all of them hard and they took the punishment. One night in Tampa, I found a group of street racers in the industrial park where I was working and had a blast racing through the night. The cars are tough. The bad part about rentals is all the curb hopping they go through. If the suspension is good and you like the car, then it is worth what YOU pay for it. I guarantee you will have fun.

dukeofpg
01-21-2010, 11:13 AM

Used G8 GT's are selling up to 30K in Utah. I saw that when new ones were still available for less. Go figure.

DRCUSTOMPARTS
01-21-2010, 11:26 AM
All the 2009 GT's are going for $24.5K - $28K on Ebay right now.

r33pwrd
01-21-2010, 11:32 AM

"going for" ?? I think you mean people are asking... not a one is at 24K with a bid :)

agian I can ask 100K for my G8.... but it does not make it worth that.

DRCUSTOMPARTS
01-21-2010, 11:33 AM
They are classified listings with a set price.

r33pwrd
01-21-2010, 11:39 AM
They are classified listings with a set price.

again they are not selling for that price... that is simpy the asking price. There is one on bid G8 Gt (base)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pontiac-G8-BEST-DEAL-GT-LEATHER-V8-AUTOMATIC-MOON-ROOF-ONE-OWNER-WE-FINANCE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem20aef7c66aQQite mZ140374427242QQptZUSQ5fCarsQ5fTrucks

DRCUSTOMPARTS
01-21-2010, 11:42 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pontiac-G8-GT-2009-Pontiac-G8-GT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3a55e15d52QQitemZ250 548936018QQptZUSQ5fCarsQ5fTrucks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pontiac-G8-GT-2009-Pontiac-G8-GT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3a55c7ef44QQitemZ250 547269444QQptZUSQ5fCarsQ5fTrucks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pontiac-G8-GT-2009-Pontiac-G8-GT-low-mileage_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem19b357d649QQite mZ110383060553QQptZUSQ5fCarsQ5fTrucks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pontiac-G8-GT-2009-Pontiac-G8-GT-Factory-Certified_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2a03e29676QQi temZ180453807734QQptZUSQ5fCarsQ5fTrucks

DRCUSTOMPARTS
01-21-2010, 11:45 AM
/\ I said advertised price.

r33pwrd
01-21-2010, 11:46 AM

:)

DRCUSTOMPARTS
01-21-2010, 11:48 AM
That is the going or advertised price. I didn't say they were selling for that price.

r33pwrd
01-21-2010, 11:53 AM
That is the going or advertised price. I didn't say they were selling for that price.

I took it as being sold for... (being meaning departure)

either way back to topic :)

Remikinz
01-21-2010, 05:57 PM
again they are not selling for that price... that is simpy the asking price. There is one on bid G8 Gt (base)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pontiac-G8-BEST-DEAL-GT-LEATHER-V8-AUTOMATIC-MOON-ROOF-ONE-OWNER-WE-FINANCE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem20aef7c66aQQite mZ140374427242QQptZUSQ5fCarsQ5fTrucks

lol omg I bought my g8 from them Bezema Buick good people over there. Looks almost exactly like the picture they had up of my car.

Anyways.. Drcustom Im not trying to insult your car Im just saying resale would be more difficult with fleet history on a carfax mainly because people will think like %90 of the people here. They will think the car was abused or not properly taken care of and move on to something more appealing. Insurance companies AGAIN go by KBB standards... insurance pays what a normal car would be worth according to blue book standards, they dont take into account the history of the car only mileage and condition. If you were to sell the car privately having that on your car fax will make people think twice and may force you to lower your price to compensate, which is exactly why the ops g8 seems a bit pricey. I dont mean to step on your toes or upset you...

DRCUSTOMPARTS
01-21-2010, 06:40 PM
My last car was a 2004 GTP which was a rental and I got top dollar for it on a trade in, so your theory about a rental being worth less is wrong.

Remikinz
01-21-2010, 07:05 PM
thats a trade in again... kbb value... Im not trying to start a war here Im just trying to give you an opinion from the other side of things.

DRCUSTOMPARTS
01-21-2010, 07:24 PM
If someone goes to buy my trade, the dealer won't give them a bigger discount just because the buyer knows it's a rental. If that was the case then the dealer would have given me less money for my trade in, which didn't happen. In fact they gave me more than book value for it, so I can clearly see you don't know what you're talking about.

DRCUSTOMPARTS
01-21-2010, 07:30 PM
Here's what the experts say about rental cars:

With dozens of YouTube videos depicting gratuitous abuse of rental cars, it's not surprising that many consumers shy away from buying one. But talk to a few people who have bought a former rental car and you'll get a very different picture.

Kristen Reeves of Lowell, Massachusetts, for example, initially had her doubts about buying a rental car when she shopped for a vehicle last summer and found a 2007 Ford Explorer with only 5,000 miles. "I asked the Ford dealer to provide a vehicle history report," Reeves recalls, "and it said it had been a rental car. I have to admit that at first I thought, 'What has this vehicle been through?' It didn't scare me off," she admits, "but it did make me think twice."

She bought the Explorer and now describes it as "fantastic."

"I can't complain about anything," Reeves reports. "I haven't had any issues whatsoever. And the Ford dealership has stood by it and they fully honor the warranty."

Check It Out
Like everyone contacted for this article who had bought a rental car, Reeves is extremely happy with her vehicle. But she also emphasizes the importance of due diligence with any such large purchase. "I looked it over from top to bottom," she says, "and I was able to test drive it for a day."

Treat a rental car as you would any used car, advises Bob Aiken, a former National Association of Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) master mechanic. "Find an independent shop that you trust and pay to have the car inspected," he suggests. "Even if you have to walk away from the deal, it is money well spent."

John Nielsen, director of approved auto repair and auto buying networks for AAA, concurs. "Have a mechanic get it on a lift and look over the car thoroughly," he insists. He also urges obtaining a vehicle history report through a service such as CARFAX.

An upside to rental cars, Nielsen points out, is that they often receive great maintenance, "so there's no reason they wouldn't be as good or reliable in the long run as any other used car."

Rental Returns
Tim Walsh, senior vice president of Enterprise Car Sales believes, of course, that rental cars are better and more reliable than any other used cars.

"They go through regular checkups and service maintenance throughout their life in our rental fleet," he notes. Vehicles move from Enterprise's rental fleet to its sales lots when they are one- to two-years old and have between 15,000 to 30,000 miles, Walsh says. And all vehicles go through a rigorous inspection before being offered for sale. "Those are done by independent, ASE-certified technicians, not our own mechanics," he adds.

DRCUSTOMPARTS
01-21-2010, 07:33 PM
Some more:

What About Buying Used Cars From Car Rental Agencies Instead?
Keep in mind, a rental car is a used car, just like any other car. But we feel rental cars are probably maintained better than many privately owned cars, as they are kept in constant care and maintenance during use. When you rent a car from the top companies, they are clean, and I have never had a rental car break down. The companies tend to take them out of service by one to two years of age, so you are getting a decent car which the rental company has already absorbed the largest portion of the depreciation.. But all our rules for buying used cars still apply, because they are used cars. The used cars from car rental agencies usually still have their factory warranties in affect. Some car rental agencies may offer you a free limited warranty on used cars.

Remikinz
01-21-2010, 07:42 PM
I never said that they are junk cars all I am saying is that most people would assume that the cars have had alot of abuse. Im sure they do receive excellent maintenance... seeing as if they are broken down they cant exactly make money for the rental company.

You just have to be a little more careful and alert when purchasing a car that was a rental and in a private sale environment that would probably hurt the resale since most people would see it was a rental and walk away without even bothering to have it fully checked out.

I really was not trying to cause an argument I was simply stating my opinion and I never claimed to be an expert.

And I never said that the dealer would make a DRASTIC discount ofcourse they wouldnt how would they make money??

DRCUSTOMPARTS
01-21-2010, 08:01 PM
You have to check out any used car, even if you buy it from someone you know. But giving a rental a bad rap because of a few bad apples, and saying they are worth less than any other car is totally wrong. One of the experts said that a rental is better maintained than a privately owed car, so what more proof do you need?

Remikinz
01-21-2010, 08:22 PM
I know you have to check out any used car... problem is alot of people dont consider these things. All of us here are car fanatics we know what to look for and we have the knowledge to make sure we know what we are buying but not everyone does.

Okay I think I know what happened here... sometimes Im no good at trying to explain my point. I didnt mean that they are worth less... value wise in any sale is the same from a rental to a privately owned the difference is the buyer. Most people wouldnt consider the extra maintenance from a rental all they would think is abuse from seeing people wrecking rentals and such. It could possibly make the car a little harder to sell to your average joe buyer. Which COULD cause a problem when it comes time to sell it which in turn could hurt the re sale value meaning the seller (now Im talking private selling) might consider dropping the price a bit to try to compensate to seal the deal. That doesnt mean the value of the car (blue book) would be effected just re-selling the car could be effected. I hope Im making sense right now since my brain is a little rattled from work lol.

Im sorry if I insulted you in some way... That was NOT my intention

Regardless I still think that g8 in the op is a bit over priced. I bought my car used 1 owner with 16k for 25k out the door (including tax and title).

DRCUSTOMPARTS
01-21-2010, 09:00 PM
I doubt that most people ask a car sales person if it's a rental. They look at the car, test drive it, and if it seems ok they buy it. Only a small percentage of picky buyers will want to know the history of the car.

Remikinz
01-21-2010, 09:18 PM
true... I ALWAYS ask for a carfax lol I guess Im just picky :p But you do make a point.

Again sorry if I insulted you :cheers:

r33pwrd
01-21-2010, 09:47 PM
saying they are worth less than any other car is totally wrong

Sorry but go to any dealership and ask them is there is an affect on price. Some banks will not even loan on a X rental car. hell a law was recently passed that states all sellers must disclose if the car is a X rental...(not in all states)

Why does carfax clasify it as a "title problem"?

r33pwrd
01-21-2010, 09:49 PM
I doubt that most people ask a car sales person if it's a rental. They look at the car, test drive it, and if it seems ok they buy it. Only a small percentage of picky buyers will want to know the history of the car.

but again most states require the dealership tell you... just like if it has a rebuilt title!

dukeofpg
01-21-2010, 10:32 PM
Go buy the car. I bought a 2006 Grand Prix Rental and it is a solid car running strong. You will love it and if it breaks, get it fixed and drive it till it breaks again. That is what all of is do with the cars we bought new.

DRCUSTOMPARTS
01-21-2010, 10:33 PM
Yeah right, you got any more funny jokes? lol Comparing a rental to a salvage car is way off the mark, they aren't even close to being the same. And it's funny I went to my bank and instantly got a loan for my rental G8 right on the spot. I don't know where you got that info from, but you better find another source!

2ltrgsr
02-04-2010, 01:08 PM
lol

R.Penguin
02-04-2010, 01:42 PM
As I fly a lot & rent cars everywhere, I see lots of cosmetic interior problems, with some minor scratch/dent stuff.

I wouldn't buy one mainly because I rent the cheapest thing available and flog the shit out of it just to get up hills. Lots of "no smoker" rentals have been smoked in too.

Nonetheless, this post has absolutely nothing to do with a G8, so what the fuck am I doing here? (stupid penguin):rofl:

GotMyG8V8
02-09-2010, 11:41 AM
I don't even know what to say to any of this lol. Just funny. Simmer down!

r33pwrd
02-09-2010, 12:01 PM
Yeah right, you got any more funny jokes? lol Comparing a rental to a salvage car is way off the mark, they aren't even close to being the same. And it's funny I went to my bank and instantly got a loan for my rental G8 right on the spot. I don't know where you got that info from, but you better find another source!

Im not compairing them... just saying that the title in WA is branded like a salvage car (not the same but both titles cary a branding mark)

i would take a rental or a salvage any day!

Im not saying there is anything wrong with a rental just saying they are worth less to most poeple than a traditional car.

DRCUSTOMPARTS
02-09-2010, 12:11 PM
I know they don't sell salvage cars at dealerships, but they sell rentals there. Comparing those 2 types of cars like like comparing apples and oranges.

JayCo59
02-09-2010, 06:11 PM
It's a former rental...24k miles...or do I even want it? I would have to replace this car in three years since my company pays me a stipend plus mileage. I would probably put 20k annually easily. My neighbor would put leather in it for me...

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&csDlId=&csDgId=&listingId=31120973&listingRecNum=1&criteria=sf1Dir%3DDESC%26alMdId%3D21186%26mkId%3D2 0035%26stkTyp%3DU%26mdId%3D21186%26rd%3D75%26crSrt Flds%3DstkTypId-feedSegId-mkId-mdId%26zc%3D77449%26rn%3D0%26PMmt%3D1-1-0%26stkTypId%3D28881%26sf2Dir%3DASC%26sf1Nm%3Dpric e%26sf2Nm%3Dmiles%26alMkId%3D20035%26rpp%3D50%26fe edSegId%3D28705&aff=national

Thanks for your thoughts.

I see the car is no longer available at the link provided. So did you buy it or did it get away?
This thread kind of lost track of that issue!

Mr louis
02-09-2010, 11:14 PM
I would buy it!

supercharger
02-10-2010, 05:35 AM
The cars on Ebay aren't selling because they are on Ebay. Most Ebay shoppers are expecting the deal of a lifetime, which ain't gonna happen with a car like the G8. Personally if I'm going to spend 20-25K on a car I want to buy it from a dealer who I can hold accountable if the car develops a bunch of problems. I'd also want the dealership to handle all of the warranty transfer too. You might pay a little more, but most dealerships are going to give you better service if you bought the car from them. How many times have you brought a car in for service and the first thing they ask you is "did you buy the car from us?" If you did, they have already made money from you and if they treat you right they know that you'll probably buy from them again. Go to the dealer and tell them you got the car off Ebay....good luck with that.

Just my .02 cents :)