PDA

View Full Version : Vector vs. Intense ECM Tune

LiquidRedG8GT
10-21-2008, 02:53 PM
In no way am I trying to start an argument here over product preference, just looking for some advice. I just got my Liquid Red G8 GT and want to tune the ECM to get all the power I can out of it. I am debating whether to do the Intense or Vector tune. I am leaning towards the Vector, but the price of the Intense is a lot better. Anyone out there have an unbiased opinion and reasoning for which they prefer? Or, have an idea of which is putting up better performance numbers? Sorry if this issue has been discussed before; I'm new to the forum. Thanks for any advice/feedback! Either way I love my new G8 :auto:

wreckwriter
10-21-2008, 03:01 PM
As I understand it Intense is not able to do your TCM. Go with Vector for the full tune solution.

-Ray-
10-21-2008, 03:12 PM
I'm not unbiased as Vector has been my tuner on 2 Pontiac's now. I won't go anywhere else.

wreckwriter
10-21-2008, 03:13 PM
On this same topic I spent this morning hanging out with Kirk from Vector. You won't meet a better tuner or a nicer guy. This question is a no-brainer for me.

MANOFSTEEL69
10-21-2008, 03:26 PM
Except for having your car personally dialed in over a standard plug in tune. Every car is different no matter what the mods. I prefer the personal touch.

wreckwriter
10-21-2008, 03:32 PM
Except for having your car personally dialed in over a standard plug in tune. Every car is different no matter what the mods. I prefer the personal touch.

Even without a TCM tune?

GeorgeInNePa
10-21-2008, 03:35 PM

Not exactly true.

If you get the standard tune and go no further, then yes, it's a one-size-fits-all.

The FXP system allows you to have the tune changed to suit your car. You can use the DashHawk (if you have one) to data-log or but a wide-band O2 (I'm doing this) to log and send files to Vector. Then, just like a dyno-tune, they have info that is specific to your car and will allow them to change the tune to suit YOUR car.

MANOFSTEEL69
10-21-2008, 03:40 PM
Not every car is the same just because they rolled off the assemly at the same time. Build, break-in and the daily driving habits of a driver can make 2 of the same cars perform differently. I'm just saying, I prefer my car to be dialed in to my motor, not just a standard plug-in tune.

-Ray-
10-21-2008, 03:41 PM
Nothing wrong with that Jay, as my car was on Vector's dyno. Hence I can't be un-biased.

Steve
10-21-2008, 03:43 PM
well depends on whether you want a fully tuned ECM/TCM (which yeah maybe not as specific to your car as an in-person tune IF - and that's a big IF - they know what they're doing with HPTuners, which yes is a great piece of software) or an ECM "tune" with literally just a couple of things (ok... make that a 'few'.. I guess three is more than two.....) changed..

I'm not saying though that every shop that uses HP Tuners does this; Mike @ New Era for instance is VERY good (ask ManOfSteel69) and if you wanted to go the HP Tuners route i'd suggest you go to him since you're fairly 'close by' (yeah not exactly, but closer than most of us).

Personally I'd go Vector - or if you want the personal experience, schedule Vector's FlashXpress with some dyno time and they can do it remotely. Or I hear you can bribe them with good food , some booze & plane tickets ;)
hahaha

wreckwriter
10-21-2008, 03:43 PM
Not every car is the same just because they rolled off the assemly at the same time. Build, break-in and the daily driving habits of a driver can make 2 of the same cars perform differently. I'm just saying, I prefer my car to be dialed in to my motor, not just a standard plug-in tune.

I don't disagree, my biggest point is that I've been told Intense does only the ECM, not the TCM. When I first got tuned I found the TCM part most important in the general feel of the car and the performance.

MANOFSTEEL69
10-21-2008, 03:50 PM
Most of the TCM issues are being fixed via the factory fix. So that might be a mute point unless you're going to the strip, track etc.

Steve
10-21-2008, 03:53 PM
From my personal experience I had the 'factory fix' done before my tune.. it went from a 5 to maybe a 6 on a scale from 1-10 (10 being best) while after my TCM Tune it's definitely around a 8 or 9 (still a few tweaks i could use but SO much better).

-Ray-
10-21-2008, 04:08 PM
Vector is also a vendor for this web site, and it's good to support these guys as well.

GeorgeInNePa
10-21-2008, 04:09 PM
Not exactly true.

If you get the standard tune and go no further, then yes, it's a one-size-fits-all.

The FXP system allows you to have the tune changed to suit your car. You can use the DashHawk (if you have one) to data-log or but a wide-band O2 (I'm doing this) to log and send files to Vector. Then, just like a dyno-tune, they have info that is specific to your car and will allow them to change the tune to suit YOUR car.

GRRRR8
10-21-2008, 04:17 PM
Look at what happens in the time it takes to close the shop and eat. Intense has limited tuning ability on the G8. Vector has tuned more G8s then ALL other tuners combined if I had to guess. I made a post about being "cheaper" on another site. If your young remember, whats good isn't cheap and whats cheap isn't good. You have to compare apples to apples in order to make a very easy decision. If Vectors does x for x $$, and Intenses does x for x $$, you will find Intenses X's are not going to add up.

norm8332
10-21-2008, 04:52 PM
I got my TCM tune dialed in pretty good myself with HPTuners, but for the engine I had Mike@newera take care of it and I definitely noticed the difference. No dyno yet though.

g8_795
10-21-2008, 04:55 PM
I got my TCM tune dialed in pretty good myself with HPTuners, but for the engine I had Mike@newera take care of it and I definitely noticed the difference. No dyno yet though.

Did you try the engine first before going to Mike? I just got my HP software and it is intimidating to say the least. Did he lock the tune?

norm8332
10-21-2008, 05:08 PM
Did you try the engine first before going to Mike? I just got my HP software and it is intimidating to say the least. Did he lock the tune?

I had no idea where to start with the engine and I didn't want to arbitrarily step up the timing tables for 93 etc. Plus a lack of time etc.

I did the Trans myself because I wanted some Torque Management on up-shifts and I have been able to tweak the Torque Management to less/shorter even though the parameters that have to be changed are scattered around in the shift settings instead of all under the Torque Management tab. I'm pretty happy with the results while knowing I'm not burning up clutch plates.

The tune is not locked, and can be modified all you want.

There is a gentleman's understanding that a paid for tune never be posted to the web.

g8_795
10-21-2008, 05:14 PM
There is a gentleman's understanding that a paid for tune never be posted to the web.

Totally agree. If you tune your own ECM and want to post, by all means. If somebody tunes it for you, no way. Did Mike mention tuning the TCM or did you tell him to keep his hands off?

norm8332
10-21-2008, 06:08 PM
He tuned it But I replaced it with mine because I wanted the TQ management.

The TQ management complete removal is great for the best all out performance, but I have to drive my car in the winter and the very firm shifts would have me breaking loose at every shift. Plus I feel it's harder on the trans for longevity.

Also I had already tweaked my TCM for shift points etc. and was happy with it.

PM him over at G8gttech.com to see what he can do for you. I don't think he's on here much.

PS: sorry for the threadjack

Mike P
10-21-2008, 10:50 PM
On this same topic I spent this morning hanging out with Kirk from Vector. You won't meet a better tuner or a nicer guy. This question is a no-brainer for me.

Where were you, that you were able to hang out with Kirk?

Blackdevil77
10-22-2008, 03:32 AM
If you don't go with VMS, Tune Time Performance is also very close to you (closer than New Era I think) So that's another option for you. There located in New Jersey. They were one of the firsts to get their hands on a G8 and have been playing around with it for a long time and they know what they are doing.

Chewy
10-22-2008, 05:22 AM
Isn't Intense the ones that blew up a bunch of 3800's?

I believe in the personal touch as well if you can get it. Around here no one knows what a G8 is let alone worked on one.

I will be going with Vector for more than one reason.

BlueJacket
10-22-2008, 05:48 AM
Isn't Intense the ones that blew up a bunch of 3800's?

I believe in the personal touch as well if you can get it. Around here no one knows what a G8 is let alone worked on one.

I will be going with Vector for more than one reason.

Yes they are. I would never let Intense do any tuning on my car. Also the fact that they can not do the TCM makes it a no brainer.

LiquidRedG8GT
10-22-2008, 02:03 PM
Kind of got off topic, and did slightly become an argument, but I got some very useful info. from everyone. Thanks! Think I am going to go with the Vector ECM/TCM tune. I haven't had the time to shop around much, is the Vector ECM/TCM and Roto-fab CAI package a good deal price wise? Thanks again everyone for the input.

GRRRR8
10-22-2008, 02:05 PM
Its a GRRRR8 value for what you get. Add an HSRK to the package too.

GTPprix
10-22-2008, 02:08 PM
Ahhh now that I'm "free" I can fill you guys and gals in on some important FACTS:

1. Intense has blown up more Grand Prix's than they have tuned G8's.
2. We had a customer get an intense tune and drive immediately up from thier place to ours because it was so screwed up. It had FOUR changes done to the entire ECM and TCM, one of which is the TQM turned off.

Blackrider
10-22-2008, 02:18 PM
Ahhh now that I'm "free" I can fill you guys and gals in on some important FACTS:

2. We had a customer get an intense tune and drive immediately up from thier place to ours because it was so screwed up. It had FOUR changes done to the entire ECM and TCM, one of which is the TQM turned off.

:clap::clap:

-Ray-
10-22-2008, 02:54 PM
Kind of got off topic, and did slightly become an argument, but I got some very useful info. from everyone. Thanks! Think I am going to go with the Vector ECM/TCM tune. I haven't had the time to shop around much, is the Vector ECM/TCM and Roto-fab CAI package a good deal price wise? Thanks again everyone for the input.

People feel strongly about their tuners.

GRRRR8
10-22-2008, 03:28 PM
People feel strongly about their tuners.

And people dont like to get ripped off or lied to!

BlueJacket
10-22-2008, 03:34 PM

:lies:

Panther 2
10-22-2008, 07:27 PM
I'll run my VMS tune , with rotofab CAI ,Kook LTH and catted system against an equally equipped Intense tuned G8 anytime at Atco Raceway to answer the question of which tune is better .

GRRRR8
10-22-2008, 07:31 PM
DITTO but in TX

Atlas
10-22-2008, 08:40 PM
I'll run my VMS tune , with rotofab CAI ,Kook LTH and catted system against an equally equipped Intense tuned G8 anytime at Atco Raceway to answer the question of which tune is better .

like i said on g8board, come to gainesville or meet me halfway and i will be your huckleberry...

edit: didnt see the intense tuned part... but my guys tune will blow you away, lol...

jetttstream
10-24-2008, 04:26 AM
:lies:

That is some funny shit.

I remember Intense and Zoomer back in the day with the grand prix shit.

-Mike

jetttstream
10-24-2008, 04:28 AM

:thumbsup:

I want to see this!

-Mike

Blackdevil77
10-24-2008, 05:08 AM
:watch:

GTPprix
10-24-2008, 07:31 AM

LOL good luck finding one to race, I think they sold like three of them and two of them converted to ours LOL

Mike P
10-24-2008, 08:15 PM
Atlas: Have you ran some 1/4 mile times yet in your G8?

Atlas
10-24-2008, 10:27 PM
only stock in high heat and humidity...

GT-610
10-25-2008, 02:59 PM
only stock in high heat and humidity...

then how can you say that your guys tune will blow away the vms?
we have track tests to prove what the vms can do and you have nothing?
makes no sense to me

Panther 2
10-25-2008, 03:06 PM
Say it loud , Say it proud. WE REPRESENT!!!!!

GRRRR8
10-25-2008, 03:11 PM
Just to set the record straight, Atlas' car is not tuned by Intense or VMS.

Atlas
10-25-2008, 03:17 PM
then how can you say that your guys tune will blow away the vms?
we have track tests to prove what the vms can do and you have nothing?
makes no sense to me

b/c i have faith in my guys b/c my TBSS tuned by them (EFI) beat out TBSS' tuned by VMS... i have just not had time to get to the track yet, but please believe, i have no doubt that my tuners are better than VMS...

GRRRR8
10-25-2008, 03:25 PM
We cant say "better" on this site without proof, but since I do know who tuned your car, I will say that shoot out needs to happen on 2 equal cars with tunes and no power adders. Please if this happens, be able to drive so that variable does not become the excuse for 100s of negative posts 1 way or the other. I love competition, but lets be nice. Because we like VMS and Atlas' doesn't, doesn't mean hes a bad person, just has a different opinion. As most of you know I can be very ignorant when I set my mind on a belief and now I realize that it just doesn't do any good and really doesn't matter. We have G8s, most of us here will be sub-13 sec cars by the end of the year and many will be low 12s. Thats what we are here for.

GeorgeInNePa
10-25-2008, 03:45 PM
Atlas, your guys could be better, but for 90% of us it doesn't matter. They don't have a system to do remote tuning.

Yes, I know that you can send in the ECM, but what about the TCM? Also, even if I send them the ECM, what data do they use to tune with? Fla. and your car is a lot different than Pa. and my car.

Atlas
10-25-2008, 04:00 PM
Atlas, your guys could be better, but for 90% of us it doesn't matter. They don't have a system to do remote tuning.

Yes, I know that you can send in the ECM, but what about the TCM? Also, even if I send them the ECM, what data do they use to tune with? Fla. and your car is a lot different than Pa. and my car.

my guys aren't newbs, they have been tuning cars since 1998... they have tuned plenty of C6 A6's via mail (both ECM 38 and TCM 42 and 43) without problem... i know for a lot of the canadian cars they have done through the mail, they send out a dash hawk or get some type of data logging from the consumer, so they can max out the benefits for the car... and while i may not know everything about how they do mail order tunes (b/c i don't believe in it), i know they aren't just sending out canned tunes and do take the time personalize the tune for each car in order for the car to perform at an optimal level...

GRRRR8
10-25-2008, 04:02 PM
my guys aren't newbs, they have been tuning cars since 1998... they have tuned plenty of C6 A6's via mail (both ECM 38 and TCM 42 and 43) without problem... i know for a lot of the canadian cars they have done through the mail, they send out a dash hawk or get some type of data logging from the consumer, so they can max out the benefits for the car... and while i may not know everything about how they do mail order tunes (b/c i don't believe in it), i know they aren't just sending out canned tunes and do take the time personalize the tune for each car in order for the car to perform at an optimal level...

As have most of the members on this site that use VMS. I just dont know where this is going or why, but.........

Atlas
10-25-2008, 04:11 PM
im not saying kirk or VMS are bad, i just believe my guys are better... everyone keeps throwing hissy fits b/c i am recommending something other than the norm i guess, lol... i am willing to drive damn near anywhere to show this on the track, so if anyone wants to come to sunny FL or has a track open in the winter (school break is then), bring your VMS G8, Intense G8, TTP G8 or any other tuned G8 so we can settle this, in a friendly manner...

GRRRR8
10-25-2008, 04:12 PM
Where in Fla? and what are the bolt ons allowed?

Atlas
10-25-2008, 04:21 PM
Moroso just re-opened, so why not there?? we can go bolt on for bolt on if you want, that just means i have to buy headers, and everything else... as it stands right now, all i have is my OTR CAI, a S. F. H-pipe, and tune...

GRRRR8
10-25-2008, 04:25 PM
Moroso just re-opened, so why not there?? we can go bolt on for bolt on if you want, that just means i have to buy headers, and everything else... as it stands right now, all i have is my OTR CAI, a S. F. H-pipe, and tune...

I am taking it you ran in the 12s already, or should I say you better be in the 12s, Wreck I hear an invite!

Atlas
10-25-2008, 04:29 PM
^ :D

btw, that is a mighty selection of smilies...

GRRRR8
10-25-2008, 04:30 PM
^ :D

btw, that is a mighty selection of smilies...

LOL!! You can post with them and never type a word sometimes.

wreckwriter
10-25-2008, 04:33 PM
Unfortunately, as far as I know, Moroso is not reopened.

http://www.morosomotorsportspark.com/

I'll be happy to show up there when it does though.

Atlas
10-25-2008, 05:15 PM
Ed Quinlan said on LS1tech that it should be opening November 8th, i knew that, so i dont know why i said it had reopened...

Blackrider
10-25-2008, 08:54 PM
im not saying kirk or VMS are bad, i just believe my guys are better... everyone keeps throwing hissy fits b/c i am recommending something other than the norm i guess, lol... i am willing to drive damn near anywhere to show this on the track, so if anyone wants to come to sunny FL or has a track open in the winter (school break is then), bring your VMS G8, Intense G8, TTP G8 or any other tuned G8 so we can settle this, in a friendly manner...

You can believe all you want, and hey they might be. But most people are looking for proof befor they spend money. I guess it boils down to if you are happy with the product, its the product for you! As for me I'm extreamly happy with both the feel and dyno results of my VMS tune.

Atlas
10-25-2008, 08:58 PM
You can believe all you want, and hey they might be. But most people are looking for proof befor they spend money. I guess it boils down to if you are happy with the product, its the product for you! As for me I'm extreamly happy with both the feel and dyno results of my VMS tune.

agreed, which is why, on nov 2nd, things may change a bit...:bleh:

Blackrider
10-25-2008, 09:01 PM

Can't wait! :prostock:

Mike P
10-25-2008, 10:47 PM
What happens on Nov. 2nd?

I'll be putting my money on "Wreck"......

wreckwriter
10-26-2008, 04:46 AM
??? I don't have anything planned for Nov 2...

Atlas
10-26-2008, 07:36 AM
What happens on Nov. 2nd?

I'll be putting my money on "Wreck"......

the gto v. mustang shootout is the day before nov 2nd... i will finally post modified track results then...

Mike P
10-26-2008, 01:26 PM
I copy that. Races are always fun.... :)

s281 S/C to G8
11-15-2008, 10:35 PM
Newbie here, just traded my saleen S281 s/c convertible 2 days ago for a G8 GT, love it !! I'll be going with Vector since they are only a few miles from my house and I'm so glad I found this website and this thread or I would have had no idea they existed and was amazed how close they are to me. I only want to get the car tuned and don't want to go all out. I went all out before on my previous WRX & EVO 8 and ended up getting sick of it and selling them & onto something new a V8 & went with a 01 saleen s281 S/C. Have a 1 year old now so decided to trade it for a family truckster - G8 GT . Since I want the car to just have a tune and drive like it's stock just have a few extra ponnies on 93 oct. Can the tune keep the shifts like stock when NOT at WOT?? I don't mind it shifting hard at WOT but not just driving around town with the wife and kid.

Sorry for the long post and if this is already answered somewhere else and sorry for thread jacking. Thanks guys for your help, I'm just beginning to catch up/learn about the G8.

rclinton
11-16-2008, 04:12 AM
Newbie here, just traded my saleen S281 s/c convertible 2 days ago for a G8 GT, love it !! I'll be going with Vector since they are only a few miles from my house and I'm so glad I found this website and this thread or I would have had no idea they existed and was amazed how close they are to me. I only want to get the car tuned and don't want to go all out. I went all out before on my previous WRX & EVO 8 and ended up getting sick of it and selling them & onto something new a V8 & went with a 01 saleen s281 S/C. Have a 1 year old now so decided to trade it for a family truckster - G8 GT . Since I want the car to just have a tune and drive like it's stock just have a few extra ponnies on 93 oct. Can the tune keep the shifts like stock when NOT at WOT?? I don't mind it shifting hard at WOT but not just driving around town with the wife and kid.

Sorry for the long post and if this is already answered somewhere else and sorry for thread jacking. Thanks guys for your help, I'm just beginning to catch up/learn about the G8.

IMHO, with the vector ECM/TCM flash the HRSK and CAI the car drives like it should have come from Pontiac. No harsh anything, shifts great (at the right time and eliminates the lag in shifting). Unless you stomp on the go pedal, you will never hear the growl of the CAI and it drives as smooth and mild mannered as any sedan I have been in. Caution though, because you don't feel any harsh after effects, the quiet, smooth ride it is real easy to be nearing triple digits when you just mildly step on the gas to pass.... Congrats the the trade up.....your gonna love the vector tune!

s281 S/C to G8
11-16-2008, 06:00 AM
Thank you rclinton! Thats all I needed to hear to confirm I would flash/tune the car the Vector route.

ProStreet
11-17-2008, 06:41 AM
:beer2:
the gto v. mustang shootout is the day before nov 2nd... i will finally post modified track results then...
:)

NDM
11-19-2008, 12:10 PM

Im looking at my calendar and it is the 19th of Nov.....Where are these results?

SRG963
11-19-2008, 01:21 PM
http://www.forum.grrrr8.net/showpost.php?p=16316&postcount=152