PDA

View Full Version : 08-08-57-006: Water Leak Into Passenger Compartment

WickedMom
01-13-2010, 06:56 PM
#08-08-57-006: Water Leak Into Passenger Compartment From Exterior Mirrors (Apply Body Sealer to Exterior Mirror Datum) - (Aug 21, 2008)

Subject: Water Leak Into Passenger Compartment From Exterior Mirrors (Apply Body Sealer to Exterior Mirror Datum)

Models: 2008-2009 Pontiac G8

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Condition
Some customers may comment on water leaking through the exterior mirror and tracking behind the door trim and into the passenger compartment.

Cause
Water directed onto the exterior mirror may build up inside the mirror until it leaks out of the datum pin hole and into the passenger compartment. This usually happens when a stream of water is directed at the mirror, such as during a heavy rainfall or in a car wash.

http://gsi.xw.gm.com/image_en_us/gif/000/002/178/2178835.gif

The figure above shows water leaking (1) from mirror datum pin (2).

Correction
Verify that the water leak is coming from the mirror datum pin. Usually a water mark/trail will be visible by the datum area.

Important: Do not use a sealer that will harden over time.

Technicians are to apply 3M™ Fast'n Firm Sealer, P/N 08505, or equivalent , around the mirror datum pin on the LH and RH mirrors per the procedure below:
http://gsi.xw.gm.com/image_en_us/gif/000/002/178/2178836.gif
•Remove the front door trim panel. Refer to Front Side Door Trim Panel Replacement in SI.
•Remove the plastic trim to expose the side mirror connector.

•Seal around the datum pin area with 3M™ Fast'n Firm Sealer, P/N 08505, or equivalent.
•Install the front door trim panel. Refer to Front Side Door Trim Panel Replacement in SI.
Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty use:

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

C9809*
Apply Sealer (both sides)
0.8 hr

*This is a unique labor operation for bulletin use only. It will not be published in the Labor Time Guide.

R.Penguin
01-13-2010, 07:31 PM
Thanks Mom! :p

pokey
01-14-2010, 10:28 AM
Yes, Thanks WickedMom! I'll have to complete this when I open up my doors for new speakers. (I noticed a leak once but have been trying to forget I saw it!) :)

Panzer Leader
01-14-2010, 03:12 PM
Thanks WickedMom. good info.