PDA

View Full Version : Nitrous Do's and Dont's

fastg8mi
01-13-2010, 09:26 AM
Hey guys i'm going to be buying a wet kit real soon and i am a complete beginner in the nitrous game. i talked to aden(thanks) about it and decided to get the sudden impact wet kit that harriss sells and i would like to no what are some things i should no before using it.

this is the kit im getting http://www.harrisspeedworks.com/product.php?productid=341&cat=122&page=1

thanks

G8GT594
01-13-2010, 10:55 AM
Why go spray? While im not completely against i just feel it is better suited for a built motor...

TexasG8
01-13-2010, 11:41 AM
I would go with the Sudden Impact Wet Plate Kit: http://www.harrisspeedworks.com/product.php?productid=379&cat=122&page=1

With The MicroEdge Nitrous Controller: http://www.harrisspeedworks.com/product.php?productid=1

But the best and safest bet is to get the All out acc. Kit: http://www.harrisspeedworks.com/product.php?productid=12

If you are stock then you don't need to worry to much about the timing but if you have a modded car you are going to want to get something to retart the timing or lower the timing in the tune.

fastg8mi
01-13-2010, 12:19 PM
I would go with the Sudden Impact Wet Plate Kit: http://www.harrisspeedworks.com/product.php?productid=379&cat=122&page=1

With The MicroEdge Nitrous Controller: http://www.harrisspeedworks.com/product.php?productid=1

But the best and safest bet is to get the All out acc. Kit: http://www.harrisspeedworks.com/product.php?productid=12

If you are stock then you don't need to worry to much about the timing but if you have a modded car you are going to want to get something to retart the timing or lower the timing in the tune.

all that stuff is planned in the future, but for now im going with just the kit.

the timing is already taken care of with vector

im looking for more technical info like spraying under certain psi etc.. stuff a normal person would have no idea about

TexasG8
01-13-2010, 01:20 PM
The good thing about having a timing controller is that you don't have to drive around everyday with low timing for the nitrous and have the car feel like a dog. Unless you have the cable from VMS and two tunes that you can switch for to run the nitrous. You want the PSI to be around 900-1100 which if you live up north you will need a bottle warmer. I like the plate because you don't have to drill a hole for the nozzle. Also with the Micro Edge you do not need the WOT switch. I would hate to have to mount the switch under the gas peddle.

Ktlplxm
01-13-2010, 01:47 PM
The good thing about having a timing controller is that you don't have to drive around everyday with low timing for the nitrous and have the car feel like a dog. Unless you have the cable from VMS and two tunes that you can switch for to run the nitrous. You want the PSI to be around 900-1100 which if you live up north you will need a bottle warmer. I like the plate because you don't have to drill a hole for the nozzle. Also with the Micro Edge you do not need the WOT switch. I would hate to have to mount the switch under the gas peddle.

The timing thing isn't really an issue, not much has to be pulled to be safe. I doubt you'd even feel the small loss "seat of the pants".
I agree on the pressure, 1050 is where I tune all of my kits.
He was wanting to keep the first install simple, and you can make the "hit" softer by moving the fogger nozzle, something you can't do as much with the plate. Inevitably, he'll upgrade to the plate and controller, but this is a nice easy affordable set-up for a beginner.

TexasG8
01-13-2010, 02:02 PM
The timing thing isn't really an issue, not much has to be pulled to be safe. I doubt you'd even feel the small loss "seat of the pants".
I agree on the pressure, 1050 is where I tune all of my kits.
He was wanting to keep the first install simple, and you can make the "hit" softer by moving the fogger nozzle, something you can't do as much with the plate. Inevitably, he'll upgrade to the plate and controller, but this is a nice easy affordable set-up for a beginner.

For a small shot yes but if you were going to shot 150-200 I don't know. I think 10*-12* of timing is alot and of course it depends on what supporting mods you have. I don't know what VMS has his timing at but if you were at 24* and had to drop it down to 14* to run the nitrous without Kr you would feel the difference.

13 QTR
01-13-2010, 02:08 PM
For a small shot yes but if you were going to shot 150-200 I don't know. I think 10*-12* of timing is alot and of course it depends on what supporting mods you have. I don't know what VMS has his timing at but if you were at 24* and had to drop it down to 14* to run the nitrous without Kr you would feel the difference.

Well before I blew up from going lean....
on the vector 93 non nitrous tune..I went 352whp.
With the nitrous tune and not spraying,I went 327whp...so that's a 25whp difference..N/A
And no....I didn't blow because of the tune......it was way to lean...wrong jets.

Ktlplxm
01-13-2010, 02:14 PM

I'd hate to see them pull that much out. Thankfully he isn't planning on spraying that much. For a 100-125 I wouldn't pull more than 4-6. Theres no need, any more than that is being overly cautious.

fastg8mi
01-13-2010, 02:14 PM
With the nitrous tune and not spraying,I went 327whp...so that's a 25whp difference..N/A
And no....I didn't blow because of the tune......it was way to lean...wrong jets.

how much were u spraying? im going to be spraying 125.

TexasG8
01-13-2010, 02:16 PM

What did you dyno on the bottle?

13 QTR
01-13-2010, 02:19 PM
What did you dyno on the bottle?

Like I said the jets was messed up or something...I only had the 100 shot jets in there ....and it went 492whp/550wtq......that's a 170 shot. So...it was extremly lean.
If you look at my thread on the piston explosion....well you know....:poof:

TexasG8
01-13-2010, 02:20 PM
Also what are you planning on doing for the shift points. Are you going to run a window switch. The micro edge is the way to go even if you are spraying only a 100 shot

13 QTR
01-13-2010, 02:25 PM
Also what are you planning on doing for the shift points. Are you going to run a window switch. The micro edge is the way to go even if you are spraying only a 100 shot

Nothing now...it's coming off. 1 blownup motor is enough for me. Before it blew..I was shifting at 6200...just shutting the nitro off at 6050.

TexasG8
01-13-2010, 02:31 PM
Sorry the question was for fastg8mi

jaxredg8
01-13-2010, 04:41 PM
I have the Harris Speed works 100-175 wet kit with the nozzles and micro-edge controller. i also purchased the accessory kit with the blow down tube, spark plugs, etc. I have a HP handheld with 4 different tunes. 1 all motor and then 100, 125, and 150 shot. All have been dyno tuned and the motor loves the nitrous but the 150 shot and the 175 shot was a pain to dyno because the car literally wanted to jump off the rollers even with weight in the back. Mine is set to come on at 3000 rpms and off at 6200 (for the shift). I would post pics of the dyno sheet but I'm at work and cant access my photo-bucket account. the small 100 shot was 518/540 at the wheels with a fairly conservative tune. Sorry for the long post, just trying to help!

mauricec00
01-13-2010, 06:21 PM
i sprayed 150 shot with a stock tune and stock tranny tune. stock exhaust and stock air box just an elbow that we produce at the shop i work at. all i did was run the car on 109 race gas unleaded from VP. had no problems at all i sprayed 2 bottles in one night. im not saying its safe but i never had any problems with it. and it is on a button not a window switch. i did this because i still want to be able to keep it floored if it started to spin all i do is let off the button so that way i dont have a nitrous backfire. we have had problems with window switches in the past blowing up the intake because of fuel in the intake and that equals BAD. as soon as we get the new combo in my car i will have a dedicated fuel system just for the nitrous and will spray 250 shot but will be tuned and a built tranny and good converter. and possibly a straight axle not sure yet.

Robert@KBXPerformance
01-13-2010, 08:20 PM
Here is a link to a writeup I made a while back and posted on here. Hope it helps a bit. http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=1271&highlight=nitrous

fastg8mi
01-14-2010, 05:33 AM
thats was a great write up rob, thanks

Johnnystock
02-06-2010, 10:16 PM
-One solution that saves engine and no one talks about is the FPSS(fuel pressure safety switch). It cuts the nitrous if not enough fuel going in. I saved 4 engines with that little 50$ investment. Honestly, I dont know why plp dont talk about this anymore..Its an absolute must!!!

-Two, get a nitrous tune absolutly; you will know if youre getting enough fuel and you can even adjust the fuel jet to go safer or meaner. Never take for granted the jets you have.

-Three, get TR6s, TR7 spark plugs or whatever match your jet size with the matching gap.

-Four, Timing tuner with a window switch is a must ; you can get 2 tune(N/A and N2O), nitrous delay, skip first feature, and the most important is to cutoff the N2O before the redline and before 3000rpm or so. Banging the cutoff on nitrous will destroy your engine automatically because nitrous will burn without any fuel; melted pistons and such are standard!!

-Fifth Fuel system; know the limit of your fuel system; lean mixture=disaster!!

-Finally, dont spray if you cant pay, because trying to save 300-400$ is stupid compare to the cost of rebuilding an engine.

-If going dry, get good injectors!!!!

with a FPSS, your engine would be alright...taking notes OP?!..BTW I'm sry for your loss 13QTR.

i sprayed 150 shot with a stock tune and stock tranny tune. stock exhaust and stock air box just an elbow that we produce at the shop i work at. all i did was run the car on 109 race gas unleaded from VP. had no problems at all i sprayed 2 bottles in one night. im not saying its safe but i never had any problems with it. and it is on a button not a window switch. i did this because i still want to be able to keep it floored if it started to spin all i do is let off the button so that way i dont have a nitrous backfire. we have had problems with window switches in the past blowing up the intake because of fuel in the intake and that equals BAD. as soon as we get the new combo in my car i will have a dedicated fuel system just for the nitrous and will spray 250 shot but will be tuned and a built tranny and good converter. and possibly a straight axle not sure yet.

You shouldnt play with nitrous like that, but at least youre admitting that its not safe...BTW, with a timing tuner, you can delay the nitrous from 0.1sec to 0.9sec I think, so when you floor it, you get traction and then nitrous engage...if still not good, go with a 2 stage! But my 150 shot was tracking good everytime; revise your tires and suspension maybe..

I dont see how any window switch can cause a nitrous backfire!! It stops the nitrous from coming in, so if theres a backfire in the intake then, something else is fishy.

Mike P
02-13-2010, 06:58 PM
Hey guys i'm going to be buying a wet kit real soon and i am a complete beginner in the nitrous game. i talked to aden(thanks) about it and decided to get the sudden impact wet kit that harriss sells and i would like to no what are some things i should no before using it.

this is the kit im getting http://www.harrisspeedworks.com/product.php?productid=341&cat=122&page=1

thanks

Did you ever end up getting this nitrous kit?