PDA

View Full Version : Headers = Fail Emission???

09gtliquidred
01-07-2010, 04:36 PM
The G8 is the first car I've owned that I want to put some $$ into making it perform better, I don't really have much experience in making it happen; so here's my question I'm looking at the SLP LT headers w/hi-flow cats, and there is a disclaimer that says "NOTES: Not legal for sale or use on pollution-controlled motor vehicles. For off-road use only." Does this mean my car won't pass emissions??

I already have the Corsa catback installed and my understanding is that this limits my choices in headers. My plan ATM is Vaararam, headers, and tune. Am I missing anything that could be done before the tune?? I figure getting the tune last would be the most cost efficient? Thanks!!

GRRRR8
01-07-2010, 04:40 PM
You could do shorties and may even be able to slide with KOOKS mid lengths.

norm8332
01-07-2010, 04:48 PM
I highly do not recommend the SLPs. (note my sig)

Steve
01-07-2010, 04:58 PM
Would depend on who and how they do your emissions testing. We've got emissions here in WA State, but they simply plug into your OBDII port and see if it's throwing any errors... so if you pass that you're good to go.. Other places do the tail sniffer etc, and i'm not quite sure about those.

r33pwrd
01-07-2010, 05:09 PM
Would depend on who and how they do your emissions testing. We've got emissions here in WA State, but they simply plug into your OBDII port and see if it's throwing any errors... so if you pass that you're good to go.. Other places do the tail sniffer etc, and i'm not quite sure about those.

Plus we dont have to do them till our car is 5 years old :)

edmanet
01-07-2010, 05:41 PM
Under current MD law you'll pass. All they do is plug the tester into the obdII port and check the gas cap. As long as your car doesn't throw any codes you'll be fine.

The G8 is the first car I've owned that I want to put some $$ into making it perform better, I don't really have much experience in making it happen; so here's my question I'm looking at the SLP LT headers w/hi-flow cats, and there is a disclaimer that says "NOTES: Not legal for sale or use on pollution-controlled motor vehicles. For off-road use only." Does this mean my car won't pass emissions??

I already have the Corsa catback installed and my understanding is that this limits my choices in headers. My plan ATM is Vaararam, headers, and tune. Am I missing anything that could be done before the tune?? I figure getting the tune last would be the most cost efficient? Thanks!!

Devilish34
01-07-2010, 05:44 PM
I believe MD use a lottery for emissions??? So you may never get called on it.

edmanet
01-07-2010, 05:47 PM

You can even pass the sniffer test if your car is tuned correctly. I had a 86 Monte Carlo SS that had a 350, a brad urban computer carb, a select performance 200-4r trans, headers, and a gutted catalytic. It still passed the sniffer test.

The real problem is when they do visual inspections. If the inspector is a by the book person you're screwed.

09gtliquidred
01-07-2010, 06:20 PM
You could do shorties and may even be able to slide with KOOKS mid lengths.

But would these fit to my catback? I'm also under the impression that long tubes offer the greatest performance increase; am I mistaken?

May I ask why?? I don't see a note lol.

After doing a little more research (that I should have done prior to this thread) the OBD test is the only one the state of MD lists as being applicable to our year vehicles.

On-Board Diagnostics (OBD) Test

* For vehicles of model year 1996 and up and weighing under 8,500 pounds.

* What it does: Skips the tailpipe and exhaust completely and instead links into the vehicle's computer system (if it has one), searching for any sort of inconsistencies relating to the engine. If the Check Engine light blinks on at this point, things may not look so good for passing the test.

Sounds like there shouldn't be any issues.

edmanet
01-07-2010, 06:33 PM
I believe MD use a lottery for emissions??? So you may never get called on it.

Every 2 years and it cost $14. I just took my Xterra today.

christiancoach
01-08-2010, 08:08 AM
Plus we dont have to do them till our car is 5 years old :)

REALLY?? I was just having this conversation about headers, tune, cat-backs and emissions as well. That is good to know!

jimmytt6
01-08-2010, 08:33 AM
If you worried about visual inspection I would get the Kooks 1 7/8 Mids..fitment is great and no spark plug issues. Like Norm said don't bother with SLP's..tuned right and you be fine.

r33pwrd
01-08-2010, 12:01 PM
REALLY?? I was just having this conversation about headers, tune, cat-backs and emissions as well. That is good to know!

yep and the funny thing is even in this state if you fail it doesnt matter if you have kooks as long as you have "functioning converters"

And in all honestly in 1996 or newer they just plug into the OBDII to make sure there is no fault for 02 sensor! My 240 had a fully built RB25 motor not even using the factory ECU and no cats at all and I still passed the OBD2 check :) (all I did was reset the comuter in the parking lot before going in for the test)

TLS
01-08-2010, 12:49 PM
You can get connector pipes to mate a set of Kooks LT w/ High Flow Cats to your existing Corsa....not cheap, but nothing on this car is!

Tempest2000
01-08-2010, 04:56 PM
I have the kooks mid length. It passed visual and obdii with no issues. They looked at it a little funny because of the choppy idle, but nothing was said and I went on my way.

hondakiller
01-08-2010, 08:30 PM
I've passed the visual with LT's before in delaware. I wasn't in the G8 but still. Those guys see a thousand cars a day, it's not a big deal as long as it passes the OBD2 scan. I even tried to run my t/a through without cats when I first bought it and they didn't say a word about the noise until it failed the visual. They didn't ask why it wasn't setting a code without cats or anything.

kev
01-19-2010, 02:51 PM

what's wrong with slp's headers? i'm actually considering them except that just like the thread starter, i'm concerned about failing an inspection with them. i live in new york city, in staten island to be exact, does anybody know if i would fail if i had those headers on? also, what headers do you guys recommend if not slp?

christiancoach
01-20-2010, 02:52 AM
Someone please say more to the conversation on SLP. I am ordering headers today and need some feedback asap. I have a Corsa Cat back and want a direct bolt up. Long tubes preferred.
Thanks

TLS
01-20-2010, 04:40 AM
Buy the Kooks LTH's and they have a Corsa connection pipe to mate everything up.

todds87ss
01-20-2010, 06:16 AM
yep and the funny thing is even in this state if you fail it doesnt matter if you have kooks as long as you have "functioning converters"

And in all honestly in 1996 or newer they just plug into the OBDII to make sure there is no fault for 02 sensor! My 240 had a fully built RB25 motor not even using the factory ECU and no cats at all and I still passed the OBD2 check :) (all I did was reset the comuter in the parking lot before going in for the test)

most cars will fail due to readiness codes not set...beware the computer reset!!!

r33pwrd
01-20-2010, 06:39 AM
most cars will fail due to readiness codes not set...beware the computer reset!!!

I have know multiple people that have done this without any issues. All they look for is any code related to emmisions systems failures. And the fact is we can easily turn the O2 code off o its not even an issue in the G8

r33pwrd
01-20-2010, 06:40 AM
Someone please say more to the conversation on SLP. I am ordering headers today and need some feedback asap. I have a Corsa Cat back and want a direct bolt up. Long tubes preferred.
Thanks

I would go Kooks or ARH and have a custom X pipe made. I have a buddy in Kent that does nice exhaust and im sure he would work you a deal. (not sure if he can build a true X pipe?)

christiancoach
01-20-2010, 07:30 AM
Buy the Kooks LTH's and they have a Corsa connection pipe to mate everything up.

Do the kooks come with hi flow cats?

r33pwrd
01-20-2010, 07:37 AM
Do the kooks come with hi flow cats?

Yes

christiancoach
01-20-2010, 08:50 AM
Yes

Anybody have a suggestion other than Kooks?

kev
01-20-2010, 11:36 AM
from the looks of it, im probably not gonna get the slp long tubes. i know kooks should be pretty good considering how many people have them on their cars but i also saw jba headers on maryland speed. how would you people rate them?

TLS
01-20-2010, 02:10 PM
from the looks of it, im probably not gonna get the slp long tubes. i know kooks should be pretty good considering how many people have them on their cars but i also saw jba headers on maryland speed. how would you people rate them?

The JBA's are shorties.

IMO, if your going to go with headers, go with long tube's. Just not enough gain with the shorties.

TLS
01-20-2010, 02:13 PM
I have know multiple people that have done this without any issues. All they look for is any code related to emmisions systems failures. And the fact is we can easily turn the O2 code off o its not even an issue in the G8

I had problems with my 300m and emissions. Battery died the day before my inspection appointment. I replaced the battery and took it in....Mechanic said to drive it around a few days because the computer reset and will not pass the OBD emissions test without XX number of error free restart cycles.

youngrushhour
01-20-2010, 03:42 PM
The JBA's are shorties.

IMO, if your going to go with headers, go with long tube's. Just not enough gain with the shorties.

Unless you do the Kooks Mids/Shorties which get you 25 or so rwhp.

TLS
01-20-2010, 03:46 PM
To me, the gains of installing headers come with a laundry list of other "things you need to do" to make them work well. IMO, the increased gains of LONG tubes make the list a bit easier to swallow.

AUGAH
01-20-2010, 04:04 PM
Since you have already made a signiicant investment in the Corsa Cat-Back exhaust, Kooks has developed a connector pipe that allows you to connect directly from their long tube headers to your Corsa system. This is the only company that allows you to do that. Most people choose other headers because we do not have the Corsa exhaust system.

I chose the ARH headers due to reputation and manufacturing quality. As they say, if you want the best, bring the money.

G8JOE
01-21-2010, 06:33 PM
The G8 has stock tubular type shorties on it, another brand being true tubes will have little overall gain, I would do the LT's like others have said with all the effort, cost and hassle to make it work, it seems only worth doing with the LT's.

todds87ss
01-22-2010, 06:34 AM
To me, the gains of installing headers come with a laundry list of other "things you need to do" to make them work well. IMO, the increased gains of LONG tubes make the list a bit easier to swallow.

I used to think this also...read up on the Kooks mids. I think that there is enough data out there now. I was very impressed.

jimmytt6
01-22-2010, 06:48 AM
I used to think this also...read up on the Kooks mids. I think that there is enough data out there now. I was very impressed.

I'm happy with my Kooks 1 7/8 mids..times are in my sig.
If I had a Corsa exhaust though I would have got the Kooks LT's with high flow cats. But 1 3/4 LT give you about 10HP more I believe.

JVH1982
01-22-2010, 07:18 AM
Great info, but I find it strange that everyone is dodging the SLP header question... What gives...ya'll sign gag orders when ya bought 'em?

DRCUSTOMPARTS
01-22-2010, 08:46 AM
Evidently SLP's aren't good headers, they wouldn't say not to buy them if they were.

norm8332
01-22-2010, 08:54 AM
Evidently SLP's aren't good headers, they wouldn't say not to buy them if they were.

The LTs headers themselves are fine, but the cats that come with them were junk, their physical internal strength sucks. The internal element moved/broke on both without any sign of melting. It appeared to be a physical failure. I never sent in the warranty card.:shiner:

DRCUSTOMPARTS
01-22-2010, 09:12 AM
I didn't send in the warranty card for my G8, I hope GM covers it if something fails. That's pretty lame if you ask me! I'm sure they have a record of your purchase.

JVH1982
01-22-2010, 09:35 AM
Ah, thanks for the info. That made my decision that much easier. Looks like it'll be Kooks LTHs when it happens... Now: 1 3/4 or 1 7/8? Prolly have more than a year to decide. Gotta buy a house first.

norm8332
01-22-2010, 10:35 AM
I didn't send in the warranty card for my G8, I hope GM covers it if something fails. That's pretty lame if you ask me! I'm sure they have a record of your purchase.

I just never bothered. I didn't want the same junk replacements anyways. They know these are being installed on performance cars yet they give you cheaply made third party cats and they end up having to be gutted or removed.

GT G8
01-22-2010, 07:00 PM

I wasn't going to buy them anyway, but what about them are bad?

DRCUSTOMPARTS
01-22-2010, 08:22 PM
Word

The LTs headers themselves are fine, but the cats that come with them were junk, their physical internal strength sucks. The internal element moved/broke on both without any sign of melting. It appeared to be a physical failure. I never sent in the warranty card.:shiner:

kev
01-23-2010, 07:10 AM
The JBA's are shorties.

on maryland speed's website, they say that they got 24 hp and tq out of the jba shorties. if thats true, im satisfied with them and will most likely get them. do you guys think its BS or true?

TLS
01-23-2010, 07:13 AM
on maryland speed's website, they say that they got 24 hp and tq out of the jba shorties. if thats true, im satisfied with them and will most likely get them. do you guys think its BS or true?

With a tune? Or without? With cats or without? Since all headers set a code, a tune is always needed.

christiancoach
01-23-2010, 08:44 PM
I second the question: 1 7/8th or 1 3/4?
I have Corsa Cat Back.

DRCUSTOMPARTS
01-23-2010, 08:49 PM
If you're not planning on a cam or forced induction 1 3/4" will be fine.

christiancoach
01-24-2010, 10:13 PM
If you're not planning on a cam or forced induction 1 3/4" will be fine.

Sooner or later Maggie will be riding with me, and a cam. Safe to guess you would suggest 1 7/8th?

DRCUSTOMPARTS
01-25-2010, 01:50 AM
Yep that would be a better choice.

youngrushhour
02-11-2010, 03:06 PM
Go 1 7/8 even if you're not sure if you're going to upgrade. No real reason not to.

TomPierce
02-11-2010, 04:21 PM
Go with 1 3/4 only if you're positive that you won't upgrade.

:)