PDA

View Full Version : Second guessing a maggie

grandmacpubah
01-07-2010, 10:47 AM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong on any of these points...if I do a maggie

I can't use my vararam...I called them and they have no way to make it work with a maggie as of yet. Could change in the future, but that's how it is today

I can't use my Pedders Strut Tower Brace...

I can't use my Underdrive Pulley...

I can't use the ported manifold I was planning on doing with my cam in march...

Am I missing anything else I cant use?

I'm starting to wonder if a different route might be better.

99-LS1-SS
01-07-2010, 10:56 AM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong on any of these points...if I do a maggies

I can't use my vararam...I called them and they have no way to make it work with a maggie as of yet. Could change in the future, but that's how it is today
Correct

I can't use my Pedders Strut Tower Brace...
Correct

I can't use my Underdrive Pulley...
Not sure on that one but I think it's correct.

I can't use the ported manifold I was planning on doing with my cam in march...
Correct

Am I missing anything else I cant use?

I'm starting to wonder if a different route might be better.
With the exception of a different power adder such as ProCharger or turbo(s) you won't find a different route that gives you more power with great driveability. I don't mean to seem harsh but if you are worried about the items above to the degree that you are second guessing a supercharger, then what IS your reason for wanting a supercharger?

I've addressed your questions in red. I truly don't mean to come off as a dick. I just don't understand your thought process.

r33pwrd
01-07-2010, 10:57 AM
IMO guys with Heads and cams are just as fast as the Maggie guys so that should answer your question :)

A turdo will make you have just as many "throw away" parts (mainly headers and intake)

trust me we can make the vararam work with a maggie!

99-LS1-SS
01-07-2010, 11:01 AM
IMO guys with Heads and cams are just as fast as the Maggie guys so that should answer your question :)

A turdo will make you have just as many "throw away" parts (mainly headers and intake)

trust me we can make the vararam work with a maggie!

I agree with this statement BUT, you don't usually have the driveability with a big cam car that you do with a power adder car.

grandmacpubah
01-07-2010, 11:02 AM
I've addressed your questions in red. I truly don't mean to come off as a dick. I just don't understand your thought process.

I don't take your comments bad at all. My thought process was this....

I invested initially in a bunch of mods..some of which are listed above and along the way I decided I would do a cam and FI. My cam is going in, in March and was spec'd around doing FI next year.

After doing some reading it seemed like the maggie was a good option. Easy to install, reliable, not hard on the engine etc etc...

However, after I started to learn more about it I realized I would lose or not be able to use many of the investments I had already made in the car. So now I'm wondering if there is a better FI route to take, or if I just invest in making the car faster N/A...do heads maybe a slightly larger cam...etc...

Or maybe I just bite the bullet and disregard all the other mods for the maggie.

r33pwrd
01-07-2010, 11:02 AM
I agree with this statement BUT, you don't usually have the driveability with a big cam car that you do with a power adder car.

I agree and IMO if you are looking for ultimate performance in a DD a maggie is the way to go! If its a weekend car BIG ass cam :)

99-LS1-SS
01-07-2010, 11:05 AM
I agree and IMO if you are looking for ultimate performance in a DD a maggie is the way to go! If its a weekend car BIG ass cam :)

Then we are are on the same page. :D

r33pwrd
01-07-2010, 11:13 AM
I don't take your comments bad at all. My thought process was this....

I invested initially in a bunch of mods..some of which are listed above and along the way I decided I would do a cam and FI. My cam is going in, in March and was spec'd around doing FI next year.

After doing some reading it seemed like the maggie was a good option. Easy to install, reliable, not hard on the engine etc etc...

However, after I started to learn more about it I realized I would lose or not be able to use many of the investments I had already made in the car. So now I'm wondering if there is a better FI route to take, or if I just invest in making the car faster N/A...do heads maybe a slightly larger cam...etc...

Or maybe I just bite the bullet and disregard all the other mods for the maggie.

IMO you are going to have the heads off so the performce return for $$$ is going to be much better than the Maggie! What 6K for a maggie but with the investemnt already being made to R&R the cam you might as well just get into the heads while you are there. Expecially if you are buying a SUV / Truck for a Daily driver.

Just my opinion but I do not have a maggie or a can yet!

G8GT721
01-07-2010, 11:23 AM

^this sounds good to me

If you went turbos, you would have to axe the LT headers & varraram, also you would find shorty headers or stock manifolds to use as well.

Steve
01-07-2010, 11:25 AM
I feel your pain :) That's why I haven't moved to the vararam and sticking with my roto-fab etc.. Then again my entire upgrade process has been a "Pick an ultimate end goal and then work backwards to upgrade everything slowly but surely" process :) And Yeah you can't use the UDP Either... which is going to be my only 'throw away' if it ever comes that far.

Hopefully I can get this cam ('FI Friendly' supposedly ) & stroker (with dished pistons so they could handle boost if I ever get around to a supercharger or maybe some giggle juice) + ported heads install going this month if everyone's schedule lines up! :D

VegasNate
01-07-2010, 11:39 AM
Many of us have been where you are now. My first mod was the magnadrone catback system. I had to eat that one after my cam and headers install. It was worth it in the end. You should have decent luck selling those things on here to get some of the money back. That's why I love this board so much. The first full throttle launch with the Maggie and all your worries will be left in the dust! I myself have no exact plan yet as to my next move(power wise) so I'm constantly researching my options.

G8GT721
01-07-2010, 11:49 AM
i'll cut you a deal on a used roto-fab lol

fiveoh
01-07-2010, 11:51 AM
Go nitrous instead and u can keep all those parts.

r33pwrd
01-07-2010, 12:15 PM
Go nitrous instead and u can keep all those parts.

I have had nitrous in 2 cars but after seeing a NOS backfire (and than a car burn to the ground) that shit aint ever touching another car I own!

NYG8GT
01-07-2010, 01:21 PM
Maggie + heads (even if worked over stockers) + cam = success.

Seriously, if I had the cash for a Maggie there is no way in he'll I'd be second guessing it because of an intake, pulley, and STB.

grandmacpubah
01-07-2010, 01:22 PM
I guess what it really comes down to is I need to come to grips with the fact that if I go FI I'm going to lose a good portion of money in the current mods. I should talk with Patrick too and see if my cam spec would change much if I wasn't going to go FI. Maybe I'll have him spec me another cam that has good driving habits, but not based around going FI in the future.

Decisions..decisions...

Well what I do know for sure is a cam is going to go in, in March!

grandmacpubah
01-07-2010, 01:24 PM
I feel your pain :) That's why I haven't moved to the vararam and sticking with my roto-fab etc.. Then again my entire upgrade process has been a "Pick an ultimate end goal and then work backwards to upgrade everything slowly but surely" process :) And Yeah you can't use the UDP Either... which is going to be my only 'throw away' if it ever comes that far.

Hopefully I can get this cam ('FI Friendly' supposedly ) & stroker (with dished pistons so they could handle boost if I ever get around to a supercharger or maybe some giggle juice) + ported heads install going this month if everyone's schedule lines up! :D

I can't get Justin to call me back about the cam install...he must be getting ready for your stuff!!

norm8332
01-07-2010, 01:43 PM
Maggie + cam!:)

I don't have final numbers yet, but it looks like my first guess was right. At least 475rwhp at only 6 psi.

99-LS1-SS
01-07-2010, 01:45 PM
I'll probably end up doing a stage 1 blower cam at some point.

r33pwrd
01-07-2010, 01:46 PM
I guess what it really comes down to is I need to come to grips with the fact that if I go FI I'm going to lose a good portion of money in the current mods. I should talk with Patrick too and see if my cam spec would change much if I wasn't going to go FI. Maybe I'll have him spec me another cam that has good driving habits, but not based around going FI in the future.

Decisions..decisions...

Well what I do know for sure is a cam is going to go in, in March!

But your really not loosing much...

you may loose what
30 bucks on the tower brace?
50 on the vararam?
40 on the UD pulley?
Do you already have the ported manifold? (if So I will buy it :) )

even if you loose say 200 bucks... come on thats a few tanks of gas :)

99-LS1-SS
01-07-2010, 01:47 PM
Think of how many dollars you'll be losing but how many horses you'll be gaining!!!

Mbower
01-07-2010, 01:47 PM
I just had to bite the bullet on my vararam, and strut bar for my maggie. I had a roto fab to and traded it for the vararam. Im sure come saturday I will have no regrets.

norm8332
01-07-2010, 01:58 PM
I just had to bite the bullet on my vararam, and strut bar for my maggie. I had a roto fab to and traded it for the vararam. Im sure come saturday I will have no regrets.

I'm sure you wont!:woohoo:

But this never ends.:)

Steve
01-07-2010, 02:20 PM
I can't get Justin to call me back about the cam install...he must be getting ready for your stuff!!

Talked to Rich today calling the number listed on their website.. I lost justin's Cell # (if you have it, could you pm it to me?)... Rich said they were keeping some space open for me so really I can drop it off whenever... woot!

I'm sure you can sell some of your stuff or find someone willing to trade... depending on how loud this new setup gets I may want to switch back to stock axlebacks vs my stolen fox magnaflow's... Sure I can find someone willing to trade :)

r33pwrd
01-07-2010, 02:33 PM
Talked to Rich today calling the number listed on their website.. I lost justin's Cell # (if you have it, could you pm it to me?)... Rich said they were keeping some space open for me so really I can drop it off whenever... woot!

I'm sure you can sell some of your stuff or find someone willing to trade... depending on how loud this new setup gets I may want to switch back to stock axlebacks vs my stolen fox magnaflow's... Sure I can find someone willing to trade :)

Im following your blog so please keep it updated :)

Steve
01-07-2010, 02:35 PM
I will - hope to have at least an update every other day or so :)
Machine shop is close by so I can swing by there almost every day for some pictures

Mbower
01-07-2010, 03:22 PM
I'm sure you wont!:woohoo:

But this never ends.:)

Im really hoping I decide to keep everything the way it is haha, anymore mods and Im going to have to build the bottom end to be safe. Its official modding is worse than drugs.

mystic98ls1
01-10-2010, 07:21 PM
Get an STS turbo it will work with all but the vararam :-)

FLUBYU
01-11-2010, 10:17 AM
You wont have time to think about the money you've lost on those other mods when the g-forces kick you brains out of ur head and into the back seat.

Ktlplxm
01-11-2010, 03:01 PM
Think of the ditching the STB as weight savings (it isn't good for anything else) The UDP can be resold for close to new (its isn't like its a wear out item) The Vararam can be traded to someone on here for a Roto-fab and the Intake manifold can be sold for what you have in it as well. No loss at all