PDA

View Full Version : PIC5283, Water leak in Passenger compartment

WickedMom
01-05-2010, 11:45 AM
#PIC5283: Water Leak Into Passenger Compartment From Rear Doors - keywords wet - (Nov 20, 2009)

Subject: Water leak into passenger compartment from rear doors

Models: 2008-2009 Pontiac G8

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Some customers may comment about water found on the interior of the vehicle near one of the rear doors.

Recommendation/Instructions:
If a customer comments about a water leak in the rear of the passenger compartment and you have it narrowed down to the front of one of the rear door seals, follow the procedure listed below.

Locate the area of the door seal pictured below.

There is a rubber plug that is part of the door weather stripping (pictured below). This rubber plug is meant to keep water from falling off of the roof and funneling down into the door.

Pull the weather stripping back to expose the body. Fill the void with silicone sealer in the areas with the arrows as pictured below.

The silicone should be in the areas pictured below.

Allow the silicone to dry then reinstall the weather-stripping making sure to properly position it in place. Retest for water leaks to confirm the vehicle is repaired.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer

Sycosis
01-05-2010, 11:53 AM
Thank you for the information!

wreckwriter
01-05-2010, 11:59 AM
Please post the pics!

WickedMom
01-05-2010, 01:01 PM
Nope... they are waaaaaaaay to consuming to do from work... (I am not even supposed to be on the interwebz) if someone needs em, I suppose I can do them from home... but tell me what ya need please

wreckwriter
01-05-2010, 01:03 PM
Would like to see the pics for the first one if possible?

GeoffA
01-05-2010, 01:55 PM
Yeah, you can atleast post these these pics... and I'll give you a pass on the others for winning :secret:

WickedMom
01-05-2010, 08:05 PM
Pictures added... can a mod move this to the TSB section...

vert
01-05-2010, 08:13 PM
Thanks Wicked, what would we do without you.

WickedMom
01-05-2010, 08:20 PM
now that I have a lil more time on my hands.... here is another
#09-01-39-007: Carpet Wet When A/C Is On (Realign A/C Drain Tube) - (Aug 7, 2009)

Subject: Carpet Wet When A/C Is On (Realign A/C Drain Tube)

Models: 2008-2010 Chevrolet Caprice, Lumina (Middle East Only)
2008-2009 Pontiac G8

Condition

Some customers may comment that when the A/C is on, they feel moisture on the front floor carpet.
Cause
Example of a Collapsed A/C Drain Grommet

http://gsi.xw.gm.com/image_en_us/gif/000/002/321/2321888.gif

This condition may be caused by a collapsed A/C drain grommet (1), resulting in a wet carpet condition.
Correction

Remove the panels in order to gain access to the A/C drain pass-thru grommet and realign drain tube using the procedure listed below.

1. Verify the customer condition.
http://gsi.xw.gm.com/image_en_us/gif/000/002/321/2321478.gif
2. Remove the insulator panel (1). Refer to Instrument Panel Insulator Panel Replacement - Left Side in SI.
3. Remove the knee bolster (2).
• Grasp the knee bolster assembly (2) and carefully pull downward to disengage the retaining clips.

Important: When removing the knee bolster, care must be taken not to scratch the steering column cover. This can be achieved by slightly bending the knee bolster to avoid contact with the steering column.
• Disconnect the headlamp switch electrical connector from headlamp switch.
http://gsi.xw.gm.com/image_en_us/gif/000/002/321/2321482.gif
4. Remove the center console extension panel.
http://gsi.xw.gm.com/image_en_us/gif/000/002/321/2321466.gif
5. Remove the console trim plate (LHD) (1).
http://gsi.xw.gm.com/image_en_us/gif/000/002/321/2321480.gif
6. Push the carpet down with one hand, and with the other hand, take a pick tool and insert the tool in the grommet.

Important: When installing the HVAC drain tube and grommet, make sure they are properly aligned in order to allow the HVAC water to drain properly.

http://gsi.xw.gm.com/image_en_us/gif/000/002/321/2321517.gif
7. Route the pick around the rubber HVAC drain grommet and make sure the drain tube is properly centered in the grommet. View the figure above and note how the HVAC drain tube grommet is positioned. The lip of drain grommet should be positioned inward of the entire circumference (1).
8. Reinstall all of the panels.
9. Let the vehicle run with A/C on.
10. Perform a final inspection for the A/C and verify that the system is draining properly.

Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation

Description

Labor Time

D9755*

Reinstall the HVAC Drain Grommet & Make Sure HVAC Drains

0.4 hr

*This is a unique labor operation for bulletin use only. It will not be published in the Labor Time Guide

wreckwriter
01-06-2010, 08:31 AM
Thanks much!

-Ray-
01-06-2010, 04:15 PM
Moved. Thanks Jessika. Oh that water leak. LOL
Mine hasn't leaked.

wreckwriter
01-25-2010, 07:11 AM
Has anyone done the first one? I still get wet carpet behind driver seat. The weather strip looks to be a one piece unit, not clear on "peeling it back".

BLKG8
03-08-2010, 01:44 AM
I bought my car on 7/08 and right off the dealer it started to leak water. But it was on the pass., side rear door. They replaced the door seal thats on the body. And had to replace the carpet and padding cause it started to mildew.

Adam
03-13-2010, 06:19 AM
Add this one to the list of stuff wrong with my car. I pulled back the carpet and juke padding after popping the back seat bottom out and was able to soak up about 2 pints of water. Carpet was dry on top too!

Scott McDonald
03-15-2010, 08:39 AM
Anyone else ever have a puddle of water in the front passenger floorboard? We had a lot of rain last Thursday here in Atlanta and when I went out to lunch I had a puddle of water in the passenger floorboard.

Adam
03-15-2010, 08:57 AM
^ Not yet. I am sure my car has that issue too but I have not had anything other then the frozen water until this past week. The rear thing was bad because it was not an issue on top of the carpet but standing water under it.

Panzer Leader
03-16-2010, 12:12 PM
My friend with the 2008 GT MGM, has the water leak in the rear passenger side. Took it to the dealer and got lip service. In his case it is a leased car but he is still pissed off. He is taking it to another dealer. So if the carpet is dry on top how can you tell you have a leak? Hate to think its when the mold and mildew starts.

Adam
03-16-2010, 01:38 PM
It is pretty easy to tell. The best way is to pop out your back seat bottom. It is only held in place by 2 clips in the front. About 6" over from each side. Give it a few hard cranking tugs straight up near the pin and it will pop right out. REAL EASY! Then the gap from the seat bottom and the carpet with show. Get your hand between the metal and the 2" thick juke padding and try to run it (your hand) all the way down to the floorboard area. If it feels wet then you most likely have this issue. At that point I started pulling trim pieces off and such so that I could get a better look. That is when I saw standing water after pulling the carpet back.

You could also try things like taking a long screw drive and a towel and poking it down there then feel if the towel got wet, if it is too tight for your hand/arm. I did not try that but I am sure it would work. I found out while running an LED wire under the carpet.

Shneaky
04-15-2010, 06:43 AM
Just wanted to say a big THANKS! I took mine in to the dealer a few days ago, and gave them the TSB info I found here. They found the AC Drain leak as my problem. Fixed the issue and ordered me some brand new carpet and mats! No more stanky mildew smell. :)

Big thanks to WickedMom, and also to the guys at Skillman GMC here in Greenwood....they were great.

2StepsAhead
04-19-2010, 01:57 PM
Good thing I saw this...I was vacuuming my car and felt the rear passenger foot well and noticed it was damp, gonna check this out.

BigRed585Lbs
04-22-2010, 02:34 AM
I still think that a shower drain from Lowes or Home Depot will still be the best option for do-it-yourself-ers. Get that water out with no bickering with an inept dealership.

Eidolon
04-22-2010, 07:13 AM
Y'know, it kinda worries me that the sample vehicle shown in both of these issue descriptions is Liquid Red... But at 20,000 miles, I haven't gotten any wet carpets yet. *knocks on wood*

BigRed585Lbs
04-24-2010, 11:21 AM
I forgot to show a link if anybody's interested, so here it is:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_199310-143-K826-20PC_4294821487_4294937087?productId=3132237&Ns=p_product_price|1&pl=1&currentURL=/pl_Tub%2BRepair%2B_4294821487_4294937087_?Ns=p_pro duct_price|1

Once you install it under the backseat carpet, it's unnoticeable, and all you have to do is step on it to open and close it and drain that accumulated H2O out. Sort of reminds me of the old floor-mounted dimmer switches we used back in the day.

tptboy
06-11-2010, 12:45 PM
I had my car in the shop for the dreaded interior leak! I had a pool of water in the back of the driver's seat. The dealership had the car for two days and determined that it was the A/C drain. I asked why my front floor boards weren't wet and they said the water settles in the back....

Is that true?

Also they replaced the jute(sp?) and disinfected the carpet. When they replaced the carpet it was not tight against the floor or near the tunnel. So they said they would replace the rear carpet. Is this ok or should I request that all of the carpet is replaced?

They also put about 7 miles on the car. I am not sure why they had to test drive it. Is this normal...I am concerned someone took it for a joy ride. Am I just being paranoid?

Thanks all.

N2G8GXP
06-11-2010, 06:24 PM
We were told the same thing, however it was the moonroof drain. I will try to post pictures this weekend. The drain from the moonroof is made of soft plastic, over time with heat/ice it develops a sag in the line. The line from the moonroof is very short and inserts into a drain near the door. It just slides over the drain When water collects in the sag it spills out and runs down the door and into the back floorboard creating a large puddle. My husband a Cat mechanic (he works in hydralics) for over 35 years, replaced the moonroof drain with tubing that was not quite as soft, inserted a connector between the two drains and used sealant so it would not leak. We have then sprayed copiuos amounts of water and it has not leaked yet. It was a time consuming job and to remove the trim carefully near the airbag. The dealer's repair coordinator would not listen and told him if he did the repair himself would completely void his warrenty. I plan to contact the owner as the desk clerk told him he could not even tell the mechanic what he found. Needless to say he fixed it himself! I hope they do not try to void our warrenty, if so I plan legal action! You can at least pull up the back floorboard carpet, spray a lot of water using a hose over the moonroof and if you start to see water in the floor you can probably assume you have the same problem! Good luck!

tptboy
06-11-2010, 06:50 PM
Fortunately, I don't have a moonroof.

N2G8GXP
06-12-2010, 03:56 AM
Keep me posted if this fixed. It was not my problem as he took all the trim aound the air conditioner and checked this in-depth first.

BLKG8
06-30-2010, 06:19 PM
Well my car is back at the dealer for the water leak on the rear pass. door. It was fixed on 7/08. The good thing i checked it this morning. We're in the middle of a hurricane.Its at the dealer inside

tptboy
06-30-2010, 10:38 PM
I have had my car in the rain and so far so good. I do see a bit of water from the A/C drain on the ground so I hope that is not a problem anymore either. My car is garage kept so no need to worry about the long nights of rain! We didn't get much action from Alex here.

BLKG8
07-01-2010, 07:00 AM
They worked on it once and the leak stopped. It was the door seal. I seen it leak. But this time i think its were the bulliten talkes about. We'll see.

Tjay74
09-08-2010, 06:13 PM
Well put me into the list as well. My rear floor weels were a little surface damp. I pulled the rear seat and the jute was dry. I check the AC drain and mine is installed correctly. I went ahead and put the silicon into the rear door seals. If this does not get it then I will take it in for the sunroof TSB next.

smso966
04-14-2011, 06:31 PM
Add me as well. Found it today after the car had been sitting for over a week. The rear passenger's floor mat was covered in white black, and green mold on the corners and under on the backing. I found that it was my rear door seal leaking after a hose test. Fixed myself per TSB. Now how to get rid of the mold and odor?

BLKG8
04-14-2011, 07:12 PM
Dealer replaced the carpet and padding once they seen mold, and knew it had been caused by the known water leak.

They also replaced all of the door speakers and window seals. Speakers got wet too. Doors are made to take water and drain threw the bottom. But on my car it would trickle onto the speaker and into the car.

Dunlin1
04-26-2011, 03:14 PM
I just checked my car out to see about this leak and my rear passenger side rug is damp. (2009 G8 GXP) I will be bringing it to the dealer next week, thanks for the tsb.

BigRed585Lbs
04-29-2011, 01:37 PM
I don't even want to talk about it.

Adam
05-08-2011, 01:51 PM
Mine was "fixed" but will be going back in for the same issues again. I checked right after I got out of the dealer but not really since. Now I removed the winter floor mats with my mats below. I took the mats out to vacuum them and noticed both mildew and mold in the same spot as the previous leak. No one even sat in the back all winter. Not once! So I would say the issue is back if it ever got resolved in the first place. It will be going back in for that one.

TurboMike
06-13-2014, 05:15 PM
These pics wont load anymore. I'm getting a ton of watr in my door but cant figure out where to silicone. Anyone know another site to look at the TSB pics?

AuuuSSSIII YA' LATA
06-13-2014, 06:34 PM
Which door? Do you have a sunroof? Is water running down your a-pillar?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

JoshHefnerX
06-18-2014, 12:13 PM

Seriously though can the pics be reposted?

Josh

TurboMike
06-19-2014, 03:07 PM
No sunroof. Water is INSIDE the door. Not getting into interior of car. I've looked for the "drain holes" but there are only three holes for trim pops. Water should not be getting into the door as others have said.

Seattle09GT
06-19-2014, 05:46 PM
No sunroof. Water is INSIDE the door. Not getting into interior of car. I've looked for the "drain holes" but there are only three holes for trim pops. Water should not be getting into the door as others have said.

Same issue - water getting into my rear passenger door - wiring is starting to corrode. Not into car, but into door - would love to see pics.

TurboMike
07-08-2014, 01:07 PM
Ugh after Trop Storm Arthur now I'm getting water in my front pass door too. I just stick a pen cap in the door trim until it all drips out. I might just cut one of the clips out, or drill a drain hole next to the trim and let it drip out as a short term solution.

Anyone know how I can get these TSB pics??

Greg@PacePerformance
07-08-2014, 01:51 PM
Pictures that can be added to first post.

#PIC5283: Water Leak Into Passenger Compartment From Rear Doors - keywords wet - (Nov 20, 2009)

Subject: Water leak into passenger compartment from rear doors

Models: 2008-2009 Pontiac G8

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Some customers may comment about water found on the interior of the vehicle near one of the rear doors.

Recommendation/Instructions:
If a customer comments about a water leak in the rear of the passenger compartment and you have it narrowed down to the front of one of the rear door seals, follow the procedure listed below.

Locate the area of the door seal pictured below.

There is a rubber plug that is part of the door weather stripping (pictured below). This rubber plug is meant to keep water from falling off of the roof and funneling down into the door.

Pull the weather stripping back to expose the body. Fill the void with silicone sealer in the areas with the arrows as pictured below.

The silicone should be in the areas pictured below.

Allow the silicone to dry then reinstall the weather-stripping making sure to properly position it in place. Retest for water leaks to confirm the vehicle is repaired.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer

-Ray-
07-09-2014, 01:53 AM
Fixed.

Seattle09GT
07-10-2014, 08:22 AM
Thank you!!!