PDA

View Full Version : seat belt broke

mrj88
01-02-2010, 03:36 PM
wow slammed on brakes to miss fool who pulled out in front of me and seat bet snapped at the cable attached to seat. never seen this to any car i have owned.

616 of 933
01-02-2010, 03:44 PM
that dont sound safe. Did you hit the car?

jrc1122
01-02-2010, 05:28 PM
wow-- huge safety issue-- Bring that to GMs attention ASAP, and hopefully they fully investigate this.

It will obviously be fixed free of charge, but I am thinking about seeing if this is a weakness in a mass produced part, or a batch of them, or simply a fluke related solely to your particular car.

Panzer Leader
01-02-2010, 08:06 PM
wow-- huge safety issue-- Bring that to GMs attention ASAP, and hopefully they fully investigate this.

It will obviously be fixed free of charge, but I am thinking about seeing if this is a weakness in a mass produced part, or a batch of them, or simply a fluke related solely to your particular car.

GM does not need crap like this right now.

BigRob
01-02-2010, 08:44 PM
wow, that does not sound good... can you take pics?

-Ray-
01-03-2010, 05:23 AM
My seat belts are not attached to the seat. Please tell us you have a camera and took pics.

mrj88
01-03-2010, 07:38 AM
will try to get pisture today

jrc1122
01-03-2010, 07:39 AM
GM does not need crap like this right now.

I'm not in the business of keeping GM afloat... OH WAIT, I guess I am. :lame:

Seriously, I would never sweep anything under the rug at the expense of 1000's of people safety (possibly).

GM should live or die by its business decisions and practices.
I shouldn't be expected to keep their doors open for them, as with any company they must earn their business and then make good business decisions.

Broken Seat belt- is a SERIOUS safety issue. It isn't like many people are going to be in situations that exert that amount of force on the belt, so GM should ensure that it is a fluke, and not a mass quantity problem.

Panzer Leader
01-03-2010, 07:56 AM

Seriously, I would never sweep anything under the rug at the expense of 1000's of people safety (possibly).

I shouldn't be expected to keep their doors open for them, as with any company they must earn their business and then make good business decisions.

Broken Seat belt- is a SERIOUS safety issue. It isn't like many people are going to be in situations that exert that amount of force on the belt, so GM should ensure that it is a fluke, and not a mass quantity problem.

Exactly my point. Sort of like the strut tower bushings, Lower Control Arms, leaking transmissions, and so it goes.

polo
01-03-2010, 07:57 AM

I'm sure he doesn't mean this shouldn't be reported and fixed by GM. He just meant how badly this could hurt GM if it ended up being a defect that lead to a recall.

-Ray-
01-03-2010, 08:15 AM

I think we're being a little premature with this. One post without any documentation doesn't constitute a serious defect. Lets see what happened to this G8 first.

jrc1122
01-03-2010, 11:31 AM

To all the ball busters-- please read my initial post. (quoted above)

I said it should be "investigated" to determine if this is a weakness in a mass produced part, or simply a fluke related to this particular car..

-- Again- I could give two sh*ts about GMs business. My personal and family safety is more important to me than the survival of GM.

Anyways, it is quite ridiculous to think that a recall on G8s would really hurt GM in a major way.

-Ray-
01-03-2010, 12:31 PM

To all the ball busters-- please read my initial post. (quoted above)

I said it should be "investigated" to determine if this is a weakness in a mass produced part, or simply a fluke related to this particular car..

-- Again- I could give two sh*ts about GMs business. My personal and family safety is more important to me than the survival of GM.

Anyways, it is quite ridiculous to think that a recall on G8s would really hurt GM in a major way.

I read you initial post. It takes a lot more than 1 defect to start an investigation.
You ever heard the term "flier"?

jrc1122
01-03-2010, 07:06 PM
Yeah Seat belt breaking during hard braking is a huge safety issue.

I never said it was something that was a defect, but one would never know unless it is looked into.

But you are right, GM should just replace the broken part and look no further into it. They should wait until more cases of it possibly happens, maybe during accidents, where people are thrown from the car, then it may warrant an investigation.

Your concern seems to be with the semantics of the word "investigation".

If I take my car to GM and say a noise is coming from underneath my hood, they investigate. If I say my passenger side front window won't move, they investigate.
If I say my driver's side rear floor board is filling up with water (which it did) I expect them to investigate.

Oh BTW-- at least 10+ people had that exact same floorboard/water issue.. There still isn't a recall.

a wet rear floor board probably won't kill anyone. but let 10 seat belts break during accidents or near accidents and I am sure GM would be wishing they took a more serious action on this.

For all I know this could be a 1 time 1 car 1 issue sort of thing.. I am simply saying that sitting around waiting for the next person to have the same issue would be a sign of negligence.

Again we aren't talking about orange peel on the paint -- we are talking about a life saving device malfunctioning when it suppose to work....

just a thought...

jrc1122
01-03-2010, 07:07 PM
How many firestone tires had to blow before - Firestone got a clue?

BlueJacket
01-03-2010, 07:47 PM
Oh BTW-- at least 10+ people had that exact same floorboard/water issue.. There still isn't a recall.

So you think that every defects that 10+ people on these boards think they have should be recalled? Sorry but it takes a lot more then that.

a wet rear floor board probably won't kill anyone. but let 10 seat belts break during accidents or near accidents and I am sure GM would be wishing they took a more serious action on this.

I really doubt it. Even when it comes to safety items it takes a good number of documented cases before anything is done. Come on you've never seen Fight Club? :)

JPEGXP
01-03-2010, 07:59 PM
Come on you've never seen Fight Club? :)

I was totally just thinking of that, i can't remember the exact equation he spits out though, great movie!

I don't care what car I'm in, my seat belt breaks I'm going to be concerned. What if this wasn't an emergency stop for the OP, but an accident. If everyone on the board found out one of us was injured due to a seat belt failure I'm sure plenty would be concerned....
...........just saying

WickedMom
01-03-2010, 08:23 PM
We don't even know what happened to the OPs seat belt... right? You guys can be so argumentative. I really doubt a recall would happen because 1 persons seat belt broke... now if 10 broke the SAME exact way... maybe. I saw this recently and I think this shows that GM is not afraid to recall vehicles. Not the most cars recalled (thank you for that Toyota) but the most recalls issued. Better safe than sorry.
http://www.freep.com/assets/freep/graphic/C41492401230.JPG

Now the water leak issues will probably not become a safety recall, because it is not safety related. Technical Service Bulletins will be issued and the warranty side becomes up to your friendly service manager(if you are out of the 36/36).

johnbell2
01-03-2010, 08:49 PM
Much ado about nothing until OP shows the pics proving it actually did happen. Until then, "cool story, bro".

-Ray-
01-04-2010, 03:50 AM
Much ado about nothing until OP shows the pics proving it actually did happen. Until then, "cool story, bro".

My point.

Panzer Leader
01-04-2010, 06:37 AM
My point was simply this, should never have happened in the first place. As one who owned a piece of crap Dodge Charger (1975) equipped with Firestone 500 tires, defective cruise control (provided for an exciting ride), defective seat belts, equipped with Dodge Dart Disc Brakes (Yes you heard right) I totally understand, that safety is the main issue. I really hope that this is an isolated case for all of us. But if it isn't, then it needs to be addressed, as soon as possible. And while GM probably did not make the part, one of their suppliers did. Remember the old adtage, "Build in Detroit, tested on American Highways."

vert
01-04-2010, 06:51 AM
My point.
+2, not to mention we had some members unfortunately crash their G8's and a seatbelt issue was never mentioned.

-Ray-
01-04-2010, 06:54 AM
Wait a second! What water leak issue?

We don't even know what happened to the OPs seat belt... right? You guys can be so argumentative. I really doubt a recall would happen because 1 persons seat belt broke... now if 10 broke the SAME exact way... maybe. I saw this recently and I think this shows that GM is not afraid to recall vehicles. Not the most cars recalled (thank you for that Toyota) but the most recalls issued. Better safe than sorry.
http://www.freep.com/assets/freep/graphic/C41492401230.JPG

Now the water leak issues will probably not become a safety recall, because it is not safety related. Technical Service Bulletins will be issued and the warranty side becomes up to your friendly service manager(if you are out of the 36/36).

jrc1122
01-04-2010, 07:32 AM
This thread is funny. People read what they want to read. I show concern for a member's safety and my own, and suddenly I am the bad guy......

I never said a Mass recall is demanded, or should be issued.. I used the word investigate. Which is what any mechanic does with any broken part. I am simply saying that because his car had a life saving part broken during the exact time it suppose to work (hard breaking) that should draw alittle concern, maybe not in GM's CEO just yet.. But red flags in general have to start getting raised somewhere.. And it is probably "Steve" the GM service department manager @ Johnny's Chevrolet.

PS- Just because it is an isolated event doesn't mean it's not a "Huge Safety issue".

You can call me selfish, but I first and foremost care about my family's safety. So I don't need 2000 G8s to have the same problem to be concerned.

It may not be a "huge safety issue" to you, because your car isn't equipped with defective seat belts, or if it is, you haven't found out about it yet) but to this guy, and his parents, and children, and friends, it would be a huge safety issue.

LASTLY,, you are right all the details aren't given, but this is an internet message board, not a court room. We often times discuss topics without ALL the facts. We speculate and form opinions based off the information given.
People are very sensitive-- Lord Help this people if GM goes completely under, they may have a nervous break down.

jrc1122
01-04-2010, 07:38 AM
If you really want to know about the water leak issue, Search this board and the "other
G8board" search for water leak. You will suprised the number of cars who've had this problem. (Including myself)

NEP OTR CAI- only a few engines blew up, but a new "shield" has been produced to correct the problem. And NEP has paid at least one person's insurance deductible.. It just shows you, that in a smaller company like New Era Performance.. Attention is given to problems much faster than a beauracratic, huge, money losing, government assisted company like GM.

jrc1122
01-04-2010, 07:42 AM
My point was simply this, should never have happened in the first place. As one who owned a piece of crap Dodge Charger (1975) equipped with Firestone 500 tires, defective cruise control (provided for an exciting ride), defective seat belts, equipped with Dodge Dart Disc Brakes (Yes you heard right) I totally understand, that safety is the main issue. I really hope that this is an isolated case for all of us. But if it isn't, then it needs to be addressed, as soon as possible. And while GM probably did not make the part, one of their suppliers did. Remember the old adtage, "Build in Detroit, tested on American Highways."

-Ray-
01-04-2010, 09:08 AM
This thread is funny. People read what they want to read. I show concern for a member's safety and my own, and suddenly I am the bad guy......

I never said a Mass recall is demanded, or should be issued.. I used the word investigate. Which is what any mechanic does with any broken part. I am simply saying that because his car had a life saving part broken during the exact time it suppose to work (hard breaking) that should draw alittle concern, maybe not in GM's CEO just yet.. But red flags in general have to start getting raised somewhere.. And it is probably "Steve" the GM service department manager @ Johnny's Chevrolet.

PS- Just because it is an isolated event doesn't mean it's not a "Huge Safety issue".

You can call me selfish, but I first and foremost care about my family's safety. So I don't need 2000 G8s to have the same problem to be concerned.

It may not be a "huge safety issue" to you, because your car isn't equipped with defective seat belts, or if it is, you haven't found out about it yet) but to this guy, and his parents, and children, and friends, it would be a huge safety issue.

LASTLY,, you are right all the details aren't given, but this is an internet message board, not a court room. We often times discuss topics without ALL the facts. We speculate and form opinions based off the information given.
People are very sensitive-- Lord Help this people if GM goes completely under, they may have a nervous break down.

No one said you were a bad guy.
I'm on the other side of your argument. I didn't speculate or form any opinion. I'm waiting for some actual information to come out before I make any determination.
If in fact the OP's seat belt broke, I'll agree, it's a safety issue.
Try not to be so sensitive.

jrc1122
01-04-2010, 09:29 AM
The internet is a wonderful thing... lol....

-Ray-
01-04-2010, 01:26 PM
:D

StandFast85
01-04-2010, 01:32 PM
The Russians are invading, by the way.

<-- Waiting on pictures.

vert
01-04-2010, 01:41 PM

<-- Waiting on pictures.

Thanks for the reminder, I need to buy more ammo.

StandFast85
01-04-2010, 02:03 PM
No problem..... be glad you can afford ammo right now!

Post #200 for me!

Mighty Horse
01-06-2010, 01:59 PM
Not the most cars recalled (thank you for that Toyota) but the most recalls issued.

Those pesky sticking accelerators. Mine has been doing that a lot since I installed my axlebacks.

But I figured out that mine was caused by my foot keeping it mashed to the floor. :nah:

SRG963
01-06-2010, 02:46 PM
So, no pics eh? - LAME

mrj88
01-06-2010, 05:33 PM
http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab256/mrayj88/image001.jpg

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab256/mrayj88/image001-1.jpg

Pontiac repaired the seatbelt today.

GeoffA
01-06-2010, 06:07 PM
Wow, I can't see how that just snapped

Panzer Leader
01-06-2010, 07:27 PM
Yikes!

99-LS1-SS
01-06-2010, 07:32 PM
You don't have mice in your car.....do you? http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/images/smilies2/suspicious.gif

j/k

kevinm0131
01-06-2010, 07:40 PM
WOW.
Hard to tell for sure but it looks like a fairly clean break of the steel cable and doesn't look like there is any sort of corrosion. What did the dealer say?

kevin

mrj88
01-06-2010, 08:15 PM
all they said is they were going to look at it

dukeofpg
01-07-2010, 07:15 PM

<-- Waiting on pictures.

CRAP!! I knew it. I saw a guy at the beach carrrying a sign that said this and I did not believe him. I am so stupid. Now that it is on the internet, IT MUST BE TRUE.

SRG963
01-08-2010, 04:55 AM
http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab256/mrayj88/image001.jpg

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab256/mrayj88/image001-1.jpg

Pontiac repaired the seatbelt today.

Damn! I'll be tugging on mine next time I'm in the car, the seat belt that is, lol.

BigV8
01-08-2010, 06:55 AM
crap!! I knew it. I saw a guy at the beach carrrying a sign that said this and i did not believe him. I am so stupid. Now that it is on the internet, it must be true.

lol

WickedMom
01-08-2010, 09:50 PM
I just noticed how filthy that G8 is in those pictures...

Fatdaddy
01-09-2010, 07:45 AM
I just noticed how filthy that G8 is in those pictures...

Hey mrj88, I think your mom is telling you to go clean your car! :spank:

jrc1122
01-09-2010, 09:42 AM
Oh "snap"............................. get it.... "snap"

Hmmm doesn't look like sabotage, but do you have enemies?

-Ray-
01-09-2010, 10:24 AM
Oh "snap"............................. get it.... "snap"

Hmmm doesn't look like sabotage, but do you have enemies?

LOL, I was thinking the same thing. Or the ever popular, "How the hell did that happen?"

johnbell2
01-09-2010, 12:34 PM
Thanks to the OP for posting pics. You see so many trolls these days it's nice to get some real info. Glad that you came out of that OK and weren't hurt.

95_9C1
01-09-2010, 03:07 PM
You see so many trolls these days it's nice to get some real info.

what real info? cell phone pics of a clipped belt mount in a junkyard?

this IS a troll thread

parish8
01-09-2010, 03:25 PM
just an idea i am tossing out.

i have seen guys at work clip the belt in and then sit on it. they leave it that way all the time so the work van does not beep at them. looking at those pics there is a lot of scuffing on that plastic trim where if you sat on the cliped in belt it might fold over to and hit the plastic. do that enough times and it could kill the cable.

BlueJacket
01-09-2010, 04:47 PM
What is going on here?

http://forum.grrrr8.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=4881&d=1263084441

polo
01-09-2010, 05:02 PM
How 'bout all the detectives on here getting to work!
BlackBerry8310/4.5.0.110 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102

MoonPie
01-09-2010, 05:50 PM
+2, not to mention we had some members unfortunately crash their G8's and a seatbelt issue was never mentioned.

My seatbelt worked, I think...

MoonPie
01-09-2010, 06:11 PM

i have seen guys at work clip the belt in and then sit on it. they leave it that way all the time so the work van does not beep at them. looking at those pics there is a lot of scuffing on that plastic trim where if you sat on the cliped in belt it might fold over to and hit the plastic. do that enough times and it could kill the cable.

Looks like somebody was teething or some shit. Something had to gnaw-up that seat control housing.

TxNessie84
01-10-2010, 11:43 AM

Just seeing this one pic that kind of looks like what happened in my opinion.

jrc1122
01-10-2010, 12:12 PM
never understood why people are so hell bent on not wearing their seatbelt, my mom is that way.. she refuses to wear it. And she is a NURSE who works in the ICU. She has seen the effects of not wearing seatbelts.

mrj88
01-10-2010, 09:36 PM
for everyones information i have never clicked the seatbelt closed and sat on it. if i didnot want to wear it i would not wear it . the scratches on the plastic housing ? your guess is as good as mine.

dukeofpg
01-10-2010, 09:49 PM
for everyones information i have never clicked the seatbelt closed and sat on it. if i didnot want to wear it i would not wear it . the scratches on the plastic housing ? your guess is as good as mine.

I am a bit surprised at the slight accusations of many of the people posting. I may be wrong, but before there were pics, people doubted the validity of the claim. Now that there is a photo, it has become a CSI case. Lighten up people. It is not that big of a deal.

jrc1122
01-10-2010, 10:13 PM
I am a bit surprised at the slight accusations of many of the people posting. I may be wrong, but before there were pics, people doubted the validity of the claim. Now that there is a photo, it has become a CSI case. Lighten up people. It is not that big of a deal.

Not me, I not only believed him, but I caught crap for thinking GM should investigate to ensure it isn't some sort of faulty equipment that was mass installed in other vehicles.

As far as the seatbelt thing, I was simply commenting on someone else's speculation, that I have never understood why people (in general) do that.

Sorry I should have been more clear. I too have found it very strange that everyone cries "troll", just because it could possibly shed a light on a flaw in the G8.

parish8
01-11-2010, 04:25 AM

it is kind of a big deal. it would be nice to find out it was some kind of "user issue". not here to place blame but looking for a cause.

when i get into my car i my rear end does not drag across the seat belt and bend it over. maybe his does? diferent body type? diferent seating position? that part does stick up a ways and it isn't too hard to see how it could get bent over getting into the car.

i once had a lifted truck. for me to get in and out of it i would rotate in the seat with my legs hanging out sideways(not real tall), then i would just slide out of the truck. not your normal means of egress. it didn't take long to wear out the side of the seat. i took it to the dealer to fix the seat and they watched me get in and out of the truck and showed me how i was wearing it out. then they went ahead and fixed it for me too.

looking for a cause doesn't have to be taken as accusations.

BlueJacket
01-11-2010, 05:49 AM

Did you buy the car used or new?

jrc1122
01-11-2010, 08:34 AM
Were you wearing a blue polo when you bought the car?

Do you have blue eyes?

Do you like long walks on the beach?

What is your favorite food?

... okay now that we thoroughly know your entire life, please post a video

of your looking into the camera, walking on the beach, wearing a blue polo, chowing down on your favorite food. You have 24 hours to post, or you are a TROLL.....

RIDICULOUS.

BlueJacket
01-11-2010, 10:01 AM
Were you wearing a blue polo when you bought the car?

Do you have blue eyes?

Do you like long walks on the beach?

What is your favorite food?

... okay now that we thoroughly know your entire life, please post a video

of your looking into the camera, walking on the beach, wearing a blue polo, chowing down on your favorite food. You have 24 hours to post, or you are a TROLL.....

RIDICULOUS.

I hope this is not directed at my posts. I have at no time call this guy a troll nor do I think my questions are out of line. You are the one that took this thread OT and tried to make it another GM/G8 is crap thread. So who is the troll?

-Ray-
01-11-2010, 11:02 AM
Asking if the vehicle was used is a good question. I don't know about anyone else, but this thread leaves out a lot of information that could be useful.
I'm not a seat belt investigator, but it looks like it was cut off to me. It's a picture, but it's not worth a thousand words.
IMO, this thread leaves more questions than answers. People like to hear the truth, not defensive posturing.

MoonPie
01-11-2010, 11:05 AM
If someone makes a complaint about the car, it's only natural for those on here to ask questions to help them and the OP to better ascertain the cause and not just chalk it up to faulty parts. There were some red flags: lack of pictures, mysterious marking and the fAct that it may or may not have been used. Now, these questions may have been answered, I didn't take the time to read over the entire thread, but your smart ass comment does nothing but push would be assistance away. I don't doubt it happened, just have a few questions that, if answered, I'm sure would make a 'cause' much more obvious.

dukeofpg
01-11-2010, 03:08 PM
Sorry guys. I just can't leave the mud on the bottom of the pond. Just gotta stir things up. I promise to behave in the future......not

jrc1122
01-11-2010, 05:55 PM
I hope this is not directed at my posts. I have at no time call this guy a troll nor do I think my questions are out of line. You are the one that took this thread OT and tried to make it another GM/G8 is crap thread. So who is the troll?

It was directed to the person/people that call the guy a troll, and for anyone expressing extreme levels of skepticism and doubt of the validity of the story and or the picture.

If you fit in that category, then yes, if not then no.

95_9C1
01-11-2010, 10:40 PM
i would think mrj88 a troll

before

concern for my seatbelt

jrc1122
01-12-2010, 07:22 AM
mrj88 I am in no way saying I don't believe you, but can you please answer these questions, feel free to answer them via PM if you like.

What color/ options car do you have
What month/year did you buy your car
What state do you live in

95_9C1
01-12-2010, 05:48 PM
mrj88 I am in no way saying I don't believe you, ...

why not?

i don't believe him

why tip toe around someone who has absolutely no credibility, no G8, and is making false critical safety failure claims?

i say: proof or be banned

mrj88
01-13-2010, 01:26 PM
2008 g8 v6 purchased new may 2008 gray now kiss my a**

in no way am i criticizing the g8 despite the belt breaking its still my favorite new car i have owned

Remikinz
01-13-2010, 02:30 PM
I havent read the last 6 pages too much bickering lol... ANYWAYS did you bring this to the dealership yet? and if so what did they say about it? Im a little concerned about all the scratches on the plastic seems odd... my car was purchased used and has 21k on it and I dont have any scratches there and doesnt seem like that cable would be causing that unless it was resting on it for some reason.

Anyways Im subscribed so I can hopefully hear the outcome of this

vert
01-13-2010, 03:47 PM
LOL, I have visited this thread in a few days and it has blown up. This might have been asked, but I do have 2 questions,
1. The way the picture is taken looks like the console has been removed.
2. Did you have the seat belt warning going off on the dash before it broke? If I am not mistaken the sensor detects when the belt is plugged in. I would think the sensor wire would have been broken before the buckle detached.

mrj88
01-13-2010, 03:57 PM
the belt broke on the side closest to the door not the console. It is not removed

mrj88
01-13-2010, 04:01 PM
The seat belt broke on the drivers side nearest to the door not the console. No th econsole has not been removed

vert
01-13-2010, 04:03 PM
The seat belt broke on the drivers side nearest to the door not the console. No th econsole has not been removed

Makes sense, I thought it broke at the buckle.

BlueJacket
01-13-2010, 05:09 PM

Now the scuffs make a little more since. I too was looking at the pic as if it broke at the buckle. I bet when you get in the car your hip or butt is pushing the belt down and into the trim making the marks. That could also be what helped weaken the cable.

jrc1122
01-13-2010, 09:09 PM
2008 g8 v6 purchased new may 2008 gray now kiss my a**

in no way am i criticizing the g8 despite the belt breaking its still my favorite new car i have owned

Again I believe you...

I have done my own little mini investigation-- these answers match posts from you a year ago on the other forum. (I wasn't sure if it was a V6 or not, but ) color, year, and month all match up..

and you live in SC right?

As I thought they would...

sorry you keep getting the 3rd degree from certain folks.

mrj88
01-14-2010, 08:55 AM
thanks jrc1122 i do live in sc

Chief
05-27-2010, 05:32 AM
Hey all.
I didn't take time to read the whole thread but I have the same problem. Seat belt cable broke right at the junction where it goes into the plastic housing where it mates to the web belt. A little research on the problem shows that it is a design issue. My car is in the shop now. I've started a thread on another board to collect data about the issue. I'll start one on here as well. I need data so I can go to GM with the problem. It's a serious safety issue.

Could someone recap the basics for me of what happened here so that I don't have to read al 8 pages? Thanks.

polo
05-27-2010, 05:38 AM
Hey all.
I didn't take time to read the whole thread but I have the same problem. Seat belt cable broke right at the junction where it goes into the plastic housing where it mates to the web belt. A little research on the problem shows that it is a design issue. My car is in the shop now. I've started a thread on another board to collect data about the issue. I'll start one on here as well. I need data so I can go to GM with the problem. It's a serious safety issue.

Could someone recap the basics for me of what happened here so that I don't have to read al 8 pages? Thanks.

Just skim through it.... it seriously won't take long. Most of the posts are people ragging the original poster because they didn't believe him.

Chief
05-27-2010, 06:18 AM
Ok I just took a quick skim and saw the pictures. Same thing that has happened. to my seat belt. The rubbing/cracking of the plastic on the seat is part of the problem.

Take a look at the way you get into your car next time. You will notice that the placement of the seat belt is right where you slide your butt in. That causes the seat belt to fold over at that junction and also press into the plastic on the seat. Over time, 1 1/2 years for me, it causes the cable to wear to the point that it snaps in half. Serious design issue and safety issue.

The day before mine broke, I noticed that every time I got in the car, the seat belt was twisted. I now know that was because the cable was frayed and about to break. The next day when I got in the car and pulled my seat belt on, the cable snapped and the end wound up in my lap. Like the OP, I have never buckled my seat belt and sat on it.

This is a serious design issue that needs to be addressed. Please check you belts and post results in the info thread I have started. Thanks.

-Ray-
05-27-2010, 09:41 AM
Hey all.

Chief, can you take a photo of your seat and belt area? I'm going to investigate mine a lot closer now that there are at least two reported broken belts.

99-LS1-SS
05-27-2010, 09:52 AM
Me too.

-Ray-
05-27-2010, 09:56 AM
I just went out to my g8 and looked at my set belt and the plastic cover that lines the outboard portion of the seat.
I saw no wear to my seat belt at all and only a slight rubbing of the plastic cover.
This photo was taken less that 5 minutes ago. Time is incorrectly set on the camera.
My G8 is over 2 years old with 28k miles. This hasn't happened to mine. I'm going to assume at this point ingress/egress is the issue.
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t16/ElecBlueG6GT/seat%20belt/DSCF1467.jpg

norm8332
05-27-2010, 10:04 AM
Maybe the cable wasn't properly heat treated when it was made or something. Poorly made cable is my guess. I have never been able to break a cable that thick by just bending it back and forth.

TooManyHobbies
05-27-2010, 10:55 AM
Checked mine, no issues. I am fairly tall and have my seat back quite a ways though. The belt is behind the B-pillar. I could see it causing issues if the seat were further forward.

99-LS1-SS
05-27-2010, 10:59 AM
I just checked mine and it appeared to be fine. I'm the opposite of TooManyHobbies, I'm fairly short so it doesn't appear that seat position is the only reason. I bet it's a bad batch of metal or cables.

PostalCherokee
05-27-2010, 05:29 PM
I don't know about my cable have to check. But I have broken the plastic piece that the cable and the controls are on. Guess sliding in and out of the seat causes wear on it as well. Anybody else see this?

Chief
05-27-2010, 06:10 PM
OK I posted some pictures in my info thread. I'm going to see if I can get a mod to stickey it.

-Ray-
05-28-2010, 02:34 AM
I don't know about my cable have to check. But I have broken the plastic piece that the cable and the controls are on. Guess sliding in and out of the seat causes wear on it as well. Anybody else see this?

Get a pic Rick, if you can. I would like to see the forum need to document this.

johnbell2
05-28-2010, 08:27 AM
Revisiting this thread... I took a look at my driver's seat belt cable and can see where the plastic / rubber cable protector is rubbing off against the seat trim. It's doing it enough to put scratches in the trim but it doesn't appear to be dramatic. I only have a phone camera at the moment but will try to get some pics.

BlueJacket
05-28-2010, 08:40 AM
Just check mine and it is fine.

Chief
05-28-2010, 10:50 AM
Revisiting this thread... I took a look at my driver's seat belt cable and can see where the plastic / rubber cable protector is rubbing off against the seat trim. It's doing it enough to put scratches in the trim but it doesn't appear to be dramatic. I only have a phone camera at the moment but will try to get some pics.

John, when you get some good pic's, can you post them and your findings in the info thread? Thanks.

PostalCherokee
05-28-2010, 05:03 PM
Get a pic Rick, if you can. I would like to see the forum need to document this.

Ok, I took a pic but am having issues trying to upload. I'll get it on here eventually.

TurboMike
05-29-2010, 08:40 PM
Noticed you have the non-leather seats. Is it possible the seats stretch more? I noticed the plastic cover on yours seems to be pushed out (where the crack is right where your seatbelt cable would be). Is it possible your plastic cover cracked and stretched out right where the cable is, causing it to push out and where the metal cable comes out of the sleeve its not at an angle?

Thats my theory anyway.

The second guy this happened to, do your also have a problem with the seat plastics? Theres a thread where some of the plastic covers are popping off or cracking on some people.

Chief
06-01-2010, 05:43 AM
The plastic is cracked as a result of the cable bending over on it. I got the car back this weekend and noticed that with the seat up some, the cable does not bend over the side. But I keep my seat all the way down and so the cable bends right at that junction.

They didn't replace the plastic peice so I've got to call the dealer today and see what happened. I also checked the other seat as well. Since my wife keeps her seat all the way up, it dosen't rub like mine did.

crazygreek89
06-06-2010, 04:43 AM
I will check mine next time I take the G8 out. Interesting read despite all the bashing.

PostalCherokee
06-13-2010, 04:22 PM
http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs319.snc3/28603_1384228726036_1241529396_31060554_2957295_n. jpg
Here ya go Ray