PDA

View Full Version : Trying to replace fog light bulb; airdam won't come down!

Eidolon
01-02-2010, 03:26 PM
So one of the fog lights on my GXP burned out a few hundred miles ago, and I've had the spare bulb sitting around. Now with the right tool to remove the snaps around the wheel wells, I've decided to tackle the job.

To replace the fog lamp, you have to remove the airdam that's just behind the front bumper. I've take out every nut or bolt holding it in that I can see, and I removed a few snaps from the wheel wells to loosen it up.

Giving it a tug, however, to pull it out doesn't pull it free. It still seems to be hooked or caught on something. It slides out a bit, then sliiides back. And I can't pull it free.

Anyone else removed this thing and got some tips on the job? Thanks for the help.

WickedMom
01-02-2010, 03:58 PM
Front Air Deflector Replacement
Removal Procedure

Warning: Refer to Safety Glasses Warning in the Preface section.

Danger: To avoid any vehicle damage, serious personal injury or death when major components are removed from the vehicle and the vehicle is supported by a hoist, support the vehicle with jack stands at the opposite end from which the components are being removed and strap the vehicle to the hoist.
1. Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle.
2. Remove the front wheelhouse liners. Refer to Front Wheelhouse Liner Replacement.

http://gsi.xw.gm.com/image_en_us/gif/000/001/936/1936352.gif
3. Remove the front air deflector to front bumper fascia retaining screws (2).
4. Remove the front bumper fascia. Refer to Front Bumper Fascia Replacement.
5. Remove the front air deflector to front frame push-in retainers (3).
6. Remove the front air deflector (1).

WickedMom
01-02-2010, 04:00 PM
according to GM the front bumper cover has to be removed... to change the bulb.

Are you under warranty?

Eidolon
01-02-2010, 04:10 PM
I've actually got a subscription to AllDataDIY.com, and their data for the G8 is unfortunately a little off. They also don't even have the GXP listed yet (if they ever will). So it's not much help. Thanks for the info, though. :)

Still, anyone out there that's done this personally?

vert
01-02-2010, 06:13 PM
I know on my GT, I replaced my bulbs by pulling the lower grille out and reaching in. I know the GXP grille is seperate from the light so I am not sure if it will work for you.

DRCUSTOMPARTS
01-02-2010, 06:42 PM
I would think you just remove the pins in the wheel liner and reach in to change it like on the GT. I had a burned out fog light bulb replaced under warranty, so you might look into that.

sultech
01-10-2010, 02:59 PM
I just man handled it outta there. idk if anything broke seems to be fine now. went back in just fine also.

sweetair
01-10-2010, 04:01 PM
I had to remove the piece you are talking about and the bumper cover to install the aux. tranny cooler. The piece has a small lip on it that will catch under the bumper cover. Does the whole piece need to be removed or can you loosen it and gain access that way?

Superdave
01-10-2010, 08:59 PM
Go in thru the front half of the inner fender well. This is what I did. Just remove some clips and pull back the liner enough to squeeze ur arm in there. I could have brought it into service but they were booked and I really didn't care to wait a hour or two for them to warranty the bulb. So I told the service guy I would get a bulb and do it myself. He said "well I'm pretty sure u have to remove the front bumpe cover." I said nope there is easier ways. :)

mikemaj82
01-10-2010, 09:20 PM
I'm still trying to figure out what tool you had to get to remove the "Snaps" in the wheel well? I just used two small screwdrivers and pried them out. Is it different from the GT?

Camss57
01-11-2010, 11:09 AM
You can get the bulb replaced for free under warranty. I had one replaced on my Canyon a few years ago at no charge.

G8GTlawride
01-22-2010, 09:41 AM
Two small flat blade srewdrivers on either side of the push pin (there are slots on them). Pull evenly on either side until the pin protrudes then pull the entire assembly from the hole, with the pin still in. There are two each inside each wheelwells as well. Those are missed sometimes. Also don't forget the 7mm hex bolts that bolt the front of it to the front facia. It takes some wrangling but it will come out if you keep at it. It will flex quite a bit to move around the fenders and such. Good luck.

travis gore
01-22-2010, 10:10 AM
very easy pull out the grates in front. 1 screw in the bottom of fog lamp,and 2 clips on top (squeeze and pull) go to my album on here and i have photos.

motownc
02-04-2010, 03:05 PM
Where are your photos, Travis!

Motownc
Detroit, MI

travis gore
02-04-2010, 03:07 PM
go to my profile then album on the right hand side