PDA

View Full Version : Guage Cluster Change

Ktlplxm
01-01-2010, 09:07 AM
Question for the Dealership people:

I've been told that switching out clusters throws a "flag" or a code. Mine has already been changed once, has been to the dealership, and no one has ever said anything to me about it. I want to switch back to my red gauges. If or when it throws this flag, is it something I can see or is it just a line of code the dealer sees when they scan the car? If so, then how do they clear it back out? The dealership changed my cluster the first time when I first got the car... Any Ideas? I wouldn't mind buying another, but to the best of my knowledge the only person selling new ones was GTPrix, and I don't know if he can get them now.

GRRRR8
01-01-2010, 09:10 AM
Most IC changes in new cars require them to be flashed to the vehicle. If the dealer did the 1st one, odds are thats why you didnt have an issue as they flashed it.

Ktlplxm
01-01-2010, 09:21 AM
I thought they must have done something like that too, but one of the suppliers on here said the dealer couldn't change the info in the Clusters. I'll see if I can find the thread...

Ktlplxm
01-01-2010, 09:45 AM
I'm guessing you personally have never programmed one of these things Once its programmed its locked, no more access to VIN or ODO info so unless you are using NEW units there is no way for you to program the VIN or ODO. Plus the VIN and ODO are ghosted at random intervals in the Microcontroller not just the EEPROM so even if you change the VIN/ODO in the EEPROM it still knows

I'm not trying to start anything by any means just alot of misinformation gets out like this and people end up in court like they did with the GTO :\
2008 Trailblazer SS -Tune/CAI/Corsa
2008 Malibu LT2 3.6L - Tune
2008 CTS4 3.6L DI - Intake, TCM Tune
2009.5 G8 GT - Roto-Fab, Tune, Corsa 350RWHP
2009 Corvette Z06 3LZ - '10 Launch Control
Last edited by GTPprix; 04-30-2009 at 10:04 AM.

From GTPrix

We all know my warranty is pretty much shot anyway other than interior, body, and chassis electrical. I don't even care if it throws a code, as long as I can drive it without seeing it.

GRRRR8
01-01-2010, 09:51 AM
In the past couple months I had t do 3 Impala's for instrument clusters. All of them had to go to the dealer to be flashed.

This is something we cant do without GM software/Tech II.

Ktlplxm
01-01-2010, 09:54 AM
I wonder if there are any dealer employees on the board who can fix it if I ship it to them or if it has to be installed and then flashed

mi04se1
01-02-2010, 08:25 AM
The cluster has to be in the car to program via tech 2.

Ktlplxm
01-02-2010, 02:15 PM
Can any tech2 do it, or is dealer specific?

GTPprix
01-02-2010, 08:55 PM
Can any tech2 do it, or is dealer specific?

The days of Tech 2s programming clusters are long gone.

Ktlplxm
01-02-2010, 08:59 PM
Then how are the dealers doing it

GTPprix
01-03-2010, 12:33 PM
Then how are the dealers doing it

With a brand new unlocked cluster and a TIS2WEB account with Odo security priv's.

Ktlplxm
01-03-2010, 12:47 PM
I believe that but it doesn't explain something
Fact 1 : I bought a used cluster off of eBay
Fact 2: I took it to the dealer foe install
Fact 3: dealer installed it
Fact 4: it operated perfectly and no visible codes
Fact 5 car has been to another dealer since for warranty work andno one has said a word

So when it sets this code of throws a flag, is it visible to anyone other than the dealer

mi04se1
01-03-2010, 06:40 PM
The dealer must have programmed it with tis2web.

Post 69..haha

GTPprix
01-03-2010, 06:52 PM
The dealer must have programmed it with tis2web.

Post 69..haha

You cant reprogram a used cluster once its setup its locked, you can update the firmware but the odo,vin ect are locked and non programmable (Post 69?) ;)

GRRRR8
01-03-2010, 07:06 PM
The days of Tech 2s programming clusters are long gone.

With a brand new unlocked cluster and a TIS2WEB account with Odo security priv's.

Just so I know, dont they use the TIS2WEB with a Tech2? The reason I ask is I worked at a shop that could flash anything GM. You had to go on line, plug this box/cable into a USB, download what you needed and then use this in conjunction with a Tech2 to reflash.

GTPprix
01-03-2010, 07:15 PM
Just so I know, dont they use the TIS2WEB with a Tech2? The reason I ask is I worked at a shop that could flash anything GM. You had to go on line, plug this box/cable into a USB, download what you needed and then use this in conjunction with a Tech2 to reflash.

Not so much anymore you can still use them as a bridge for programming some items but 99% of programming at dealers is now VIA the MDI with TIS2WEB. The Tech 2 alone wont program much of anything new anymore except for some small configuration tasks (at least on new stuff) but you can still use them as a bridge for TIS if you have to in a pinch.

Ktlplxm
01-04-2010, 08:01 AM
So the question still remains, how did they install mine with no issue, and are the codes or flags a cluster change throws apparent or just something the dealer sees?

Chris, have you been able to get the new clusters in yet? I never hear back from you

GTPprix
01-04-2010, 08:49 AM
They didnt they just didnt notice the big "VIN Mismatch" Flag or they didnt bother telling you about it because if they were to call GM and ask them why they cant clear it they would want to know why they were helping someone commit odometer fraud.

I can get new clusters yes.

Ktlplxm
01-04-2010, 08:54 AM
They didnt they just didnt notice the big "VIN Mismatch" Flag or they didnt bother telling you about it because if they were to call GM and ask them why they cant clear it they would want to know why they were helping someone commit odometer fraud.

I can get new clusters yes.

I don't know why they would make a big deal about it, the mileages were within a hundred miles of one another and the new had the higher mileage. I just didn't want the Red trim gauges. It has been to another dealership since for warranty work, and I wouldve thought if there was an issue that the second dealership def would've caught it. Don't really care if I don't have to see it while driving.

How long will it take for you to get a new one. Is the price still the same?

GTPprix
01-04-2010, 09:35 AM
Doesnt take long problem is me finding time to program it I'm slammed right now.