PDA

View Full Version : Just e-mailed VMS about the G8 ECM/TCM Tune

bobyoung
10-17-2008, 08:52 PM
How much is involved installing the CAI Package? Is it worth it getting that along with the ECM TCM tune? I haven't really turned a wrench in many years except to change oil.
Actually I just took a look at one online and it looks pretty easy to install, as easy as it looks like it will be?

Steve
10-17-2008, 08:56 PM
yeah it's way easy - even I was able to do it ;)
http://g8gt.blogspot.com/2008/07/roto-fab-cai-radiator-cover.html

Blackrider
10-17-2008, 11:47 PM
The install of the Roto-Fab intake is very easy, and the instructions are very detailed. If you can change your oil you should have no issue.

Panther 2
10-18-2008, 08:05 AM
When you order your Ecm-Tcm tune ,order the Rotofab Cai fom Vector , they may have a special price for ordering both. The package is worth the money.

__________________________________________________ ________
VMS ecm-tcm, Rotofab CAI,GRRRR8 mods,Kook's LTH, Magnaflow muff. 12.89@109.64

GeorgeInNePa
10-18-2008, 08:23 AM
The install of the Roto-Fab intake is very easy, and the instructions are very detailed. If you can change your oil you should have no issue.

+1

About 10 or so pages with big pictures. Very easy to install with-out the instructions. With them, my wife could have installed it.

;)

Panther 2
10-18-2008, 08:42 AM
Now we know who's doing the mods to your car, aha!

rclinton
10-20-2008, 03:05 AM
I would add the HSRK to the CAI, ECM/TCM flash and get it done all at once.

-Ray-
10-20-2008, 05:27 AM

I agree.

bobyoung
10-20-2008, 04:32 PM

Two questions, George, do you think your wife could install the HSRK? If she can do it I can do it. :D

And I've just about given up on borrowing a laptop, I've read that the tune has a hard time with Vista, is that true? Has anyone here installed it with Vista on their laptop? It looks like I'm going to have to buy one and everyone I've seen has Vista installed except for some expensive Dells.

GeorgeInNePa
10-20-2008, 05:02 PM
Two questions, George, do you think your wife could install the HSRK? If she can do it I can do it. :D

And I've just about given up on borrowing a laptop, I've read that the tune has a hard time with Vista, is that true? Has anyone here installed it with Vista on their laptop? It looks like I'm going to have to buy one and everyone I've seen has Vista installed except for some expensive Dells.

It requires the use of powertools, so no, I wouldn't let her near the drill.

;)

Also, I had a problem with Vista, so I have been using my house computer. I pull the car up under the window where the computer is and run the cable through the windows.

The first time, I put the computer in the car. Tower on the passenger floor, the screen on the pass seat and the keyboard/mouse on the armrest.

Worked fine!

G8GTlawride
10-20-2008, 05:16 PM

Where are you located? There may be someone from the board close by. Maybe a thread on XP Laptops like the Dashawk thread. MMMmmm.

-Ray-
10-20-2008, 05:17 PM
I think he is in Cleveland.

bobyoung
10-20-2008, 06:58 PM
No I'm in MA, central near Worcester, I live on the second floor so can't really stretch out the computer cables that much. Also seriously what is involved in installing the HSRK? tools etc. Thanks again, you guys have been really helpful. I just want to get on that waiting list and can't buy the stuff until I have a laptop lined up or buy one.

-Ray-
10-21-2008, 03:15 PM
The HSRK you will wait on until you get the Roto-Fab. Basically you will drill to get the sensor in the shoulder of the air filter you receive or the piece the filter attaches to. Then unplug the MAF, and connect it to the HSRK, then one plug from the HSRK goes to the MAF. The small connector goes to the actual HSRK sensor. There is a thread here detailing how to do it.

bobyoung
10-21-2008, 08:17 PM
Alright thanks, still looking for that stupid computer, may have a 2nd hand one from a nearby school for 75 bucks refurbished. Mod sounds easy, for some reason I seem to remember a sensing unit that screwed into the block behind the carburetor on old 350's or is that a pipe dream?

Blackrider
10-21-2008, 08:29 PM
Just a heads up on the so called Vista issue, which is there is no Vista issue... lol I just used the Flash Express on my Vista SP1 laptop and it worked like a charm. Vista 64 Is not supported.

bobyoung
10-22-2008, 07:13 AM
Just a heads up on the so called Vista issue, which is there is no Vista issue... lol I just used the Flash Express on my Vista SP1 laptop and it worked like a charm. Vista 64 Is not supported.

Yeah, on their site they list Vista as a recommended operating system to use. I'll find out about that 75 buck laptop tonight, if they're are none available I'll have to buy a new one.

GRRRR8
10-22-2008, 07:20 AM
The laptop is worth it. I bought 1 for the car and now it is all I use at the house. Recliner, snacks, beverage, big screen and a laptop will piss off the average wife after 2 hours because you can completely tune them out. lol

GeorgeInNePa
10-22-2008, 08:27 AM

My laptop, an ACER, has Vista as the operating system. My laptop would not proceed past a certain point with the FXP.

I have seen the posts from a few people on the other boards about issuses with Vista.

bobyoung
10-25-2008, 06:23 PM
I bought some wifi stuff today and am going to use my own ancient POS for it, it's fast enough and it's XP. I still may buy that 75 dollar laptop, they're XP also and only one year old. But hey now I can move my computer anywhere with no wires.

bobyoung
10-26-2008, 07:50 AM
I installed wifi so I can drag the computer down stairs without wires to have it tuned so I just ordered the G8 ECM/TCM Tune and CAI Package stealth along with the HSRK and the flashXpress system. I also inquired about buying a stock ECM for those dealer trips :D. This tranny is slushy and slow to respond. I really took it for a ride with a friend yesterday and floored it and the damn thing must have taken at least a whole second to respond, went up a long hill, hit about 120 and let off, he was still impressed:clap: but I wasn't too thrilled with the hesitation. I don't know if it's searching for the correct gear or what but it's aggravating, I have felt some funny shifts before but this really showed the problem. Christ my 95 Roadmaster Wagon has much more crisp shifts than this thing has. I hope the tune addresses this. This has had the dealer tranny fix BTW.
I'll tell you this site has the best smilies of any site I've ever seen, haha! :nutkick:

wreckwriter
10-26-2008, 07:51 AM
You'll be much happier with the shifting after the TCM tune. These cars shift like dogshit until tuned, after tune they shift nicely.

bobyoung
10-26-2008, 08:03 AM
You'll be much happier with the shifting after the TCM tune. These cars shift like dogshit until tuned, after tune they shift nicely.

I know what's with that anyway? Definitely the weak link in the car so far.