PDA

View Full Version : crazy hp seems easy. 1000+rwhp. what are the hard to upgrade areas?

parish8
12-27-2009, 05:30 PM
to me the after market parts for these cars seems great. it is a good thing to share soo many parts with other gm cars.

what is to keep one or more of us from making a 1000+rwhp car. what would that feel like?:)

engine is easy, 6bolt 427 lsx.

induction is easy, low mount twins.

tranny, that thing is a brute from the factory and you know they will make some kick ass parts for it soon. i was told rosler or someone has one rated at over 1000hp?

driveshafts are out there

axles, there is a post right now about 300m axles rated at 1000hp

soo, where does that leave us. rear diff for one. whats the word on that. i know a couple of them have broke, being that it is only a couple they seem to be strong from the factory. might have to go easy on the power till 2nd gear:)

what about all that rear suspension stuff? i know there are some parts out there. with those parts will the rest of it hold up or will mounts and stuff like that start ripping out?

what other parts would be needed to make crazy hp? fuel sytem, stuff like that.

MaxPower
12-27-2009, 06:05 PM
For fuel, lines and pump(s) for sure.

Problem with all that HP is putting it to the ground - not just through the drivetrain, but to the road. It doesn't look like we have a lot of room to work with for wider wheels and tires, so that would be a major area in need of some work.

I'm just looking forward to getting back to the high 10sec zone again. Miss all that HP/TQ in my Lightning. Still very serious about your TT kit.

NYG8GT
12-27-2009, 07:08 PM
Why on earth would you even consider keeping the factory IRS? With the money it's going to cost to build a motor capable of 1000+whp, you might as well through a proven solid rear axle in there that you know could take the abuse. Unless you wanna hang with the Supra guys and just roll race from 120+ lol.

As far as the "what is to keep one or more of us from making a 1000+rwhp car" question itself, I have a feeling the answer is....

$$$$$$$$

Devilish34
12-27-2009, 07:44 PM
the rear... as of now only option is a $1600 diff from OZ

parish8
12-27-2009, 07:48 PM
the rear... as of now only option is a $1600 diff from OZ

and that is a stock replacement? maybe difernet gears but no stronger?

bwooten492
12-27-2009, 08:06 PM
parish i think you are going to have to be the one to figure all this out.
Mozilla/5.0 440x240 Samsung SCH-U940 NetFront/3.4

Devilish34
12-27-2009, 08:10 PM
and that is a stock replacement? maybe difernet gears but no stronger?
No this is just the diff no gears no case just the diff.

http://www.harrop.com.au/products/drive_line_and_suspension/ttrc9823-00.html

mauricec00
12-27-2009, 08:24 PM
its do able just have to have a deep pocket. and i have not seen any good half shafts hold up with a lot of power and slicks. so it would have to have a 9 inch or something like that. and ladder bar set up. i am n the process of figuring out the 9 inch in my car. and not sure if stock electronics can hold up with the power so you would have to do a stand alone or something like it. i hope someone soon can make that HP in a G8 so i can ask them some questions.

parish8
12-27-2009, 08:33 PM
No this is just the diff no gears no case just the diff.

http://www.harrop.com.au/products/drive_line_and_suspension/ttrc9823-00.html

ahh, that seems kinda steep.

parish8
12-27-2009, 08:36 PM
its do able just have to have a deep pocket. and i have not seen any good half shafts hold up with a lot of power and slicks. so it would have to have a 9 inch or something like that. and ladder bar set up. i am n the process of figuring out the 9 inch in my car. and not sure if stock electronics can hold up with the power so you would have to do a stand alone or something like it. i hope someone soon can make that HP in a G8 so i can ask them some questions.

tuning the engine is easy. tranny tuning might be a bitch.

parish8
12-27-2009, 08:59 PM
Why on earth would you even consider keeping the factory IRS? With the money it's going to cost to build a motor capable of 1000+whp, you might as well through a proven solid rear axle in there that you know could take the abuse. Unless you wanna hang with the Supra guys and just roll race from 120+ lol.

As far as the "what is to keep one or more of us from making a 1000+rwhp car" question itself, I have a feeling the answer is....

$$$$$$$$

i am not going to give up on the irs too fast. since we have a very similur or maybe exactly the same set up as a camaro there is likely to be some killer parts on the way. i am ok with a 1.5x 60' if thats the best we can do. pour the power on after the 1-2 shift or even a little later.

i plan on needing to manipulate the power thru the run. speed and rpm based boost control. maybe keep the power around 600rwhp thru 1st. drop the boost a little or a lot right before the shift to help the tranny live. it is all part of the fun.

a friend of mine had a 9sec supra. still running a stick and irs. that car was angry:)

NYG8GT
12-28-2009, 05:06 AM
i am ok with a 1.5x 60' if thats the best we can do. pour the power on after the 1-2 shift or even a little later.

i plan on needing to manipulate the power thru the run. speed and rpm based boost control. maybe keep the power around 600rwhp thru 1st. drop the boost a little or a lot right before the shift to help the tranny live. it is all part of the fun.

So basically, you're ok with spending tens of thousands of dollars only to compromise and not utilize the full potential of the power you're making, running up to a full second slower than what the car might actually be able to do.

I don't know how that could be "fun", but whatever. I would rather have a stout drivetrain that could handle the power from the get-go, or at least more than 60% of it for the first 2 gears. What your proposing is a dyno queen capable of impressive numbers from the rear wheels without producing the numbers on the ET board.

Also, you mentioned tranny tuning could be a bitch. Are you actually proposing keeping the 6L80? This is a setup that is screaming for a TH400 and nothing else.

99-LS1-SS
12-28-2009, 05:28 AM
So basically, you're ok with spending tens of thousands of dollars only to compromise and not utilize the full potential of the power you're making, running up to a full second slower than what the car might actually be able to do.

I don't know how that could be "fun", but whatever. I would rather have a stout drivetrain that could handle the power from the get-go, or at least more than 60% of it for the first 2 gears. What your proposing is a dyno queen capable of impressive numbers from the rear wheels without producing the numbers on the ET board.

Also, you mentioned tranny tuning could be a bitch. Are you actually proposing keeping the 6L80? This is a setup that is screaming for a TH400 and nothing else.

I agree with some of your points but regarding the 6L80, why should he have to switch to a TH400 and lose 3 gears? If he drives this car with any regularity then I would think the 6 speed would be much more useful than they TH400. If it's strictly a track car then I agree with you.

Devilish34
12-28-2009, 06:02 AM
I agree with some of your points but regarding the 6L80, why should he have to switch to a TH400 and lose 3 gears? If he drives this car with any regularity then I would think the 6 speed would be much more useful than they TH400. If it's strictly a track car then I agree with you.

I don't and I see nothing wrong with boost by gear. RPM just installed a boost by gear on a twin turbo Vette. If anything he will save himself some money by not beating the hell out of the car.

99-LS1-SS
12-28-2009, 06:10 AM
I don't and I see nothing wrong with boost by gear. RPM just installed a boost by gear on a twin turbo Vette. If anything he will save himself some money by not beating the hell out of the car.

I don't see anything wrong with it either. My comment is based on whether or not the car is more of a track car or a street car. If it's more of a track car then I say go balls to the wall and throw all the power at it. If it's a street car then I agree with what Parish is saying.

GRRRR8
12-28-2009, 06:58 AM
Dyno queen? I guess you are not up to date with boost by mph/rpm/sec.

Why would anyone want 1000HP from the hit unless it was a full out drag car? Top fuel dragsters have 6000HP and they dont get it from the hit. They use clutches that slip so they dont blow the tires off and then lock up to put all of it to the tires. Even then they blow the tires off at times when they get to aggressive with the clutch set ups.

Devilish34
12-28-2009, 07:08 AM
Dyno queen? I guess you are not up to date with boost by mph/rpm/sec.

Why would anyone want 1000HP from the hit unless it was a full out drag car? Top fuel dragsters have 6000HP and they dont get it from the hit. They use clutches that slip so they dont blow the tires off and then lock up to put all of it to the tires. Even then they blow the tires off at times when they get to aggressive with the clutch set ups.

^This

Driveway Queen :nah:

parish8
12-28-2009, 09:58 AM

wow, you seem angry. if i wanted an old school drag car i wouldn't have droped $25k on a 4000lb pig. i suppose i should stick a carb on it too:)

GRRRR8
12-28-2009, 10:08 AM
wow, you seem angry. if i wanted an old school drag car i wouldn't have droped $25k on a 4000lb pig. i suppose i should stick a carb on it too:)

That seems to be the norm with this guy.

norm8332
12-28-2009, 10:11 AM
I just soften the shifts in the tranny programming with my setup. I think some have said in the past that they had some shifting issues after around 625 or so rwhp though.

Carl@SFE
12-30-2009, 01:04 AM

TH400 is not the best choice why not a TH350... the TH400 requires 50 more hp to run and soaks up alot more hp than the TH350... These trannys are great in these cars if there is going to be a tranny swap... IF!! why not the 4l60 or 4l80 they build these things to handle hp PLUS you still have your overdrive.... so infact the TH400 is not the best choice... alot of people run those cause they are CHEAP to build and they dont wanna sink the money into something that they would get better results out of.... just my .02

jaxredg8
12-30-2009, 05:01 AM
I just saw this thread and the first thing I could think when I saw "what are the hardest parts to upgrade" was " I dont know about the hardest to upgrade but I know to achieve 1000+ hp, the hardest part to replenish is my bank account!!"

NYG8GT
12-30-2009, 06:51 AM
Lol

stryker g8gt
12-30-2009, 07:04 AM
I just saw this thread and the first thing I could think when I saw "what are the hardest parts to upgrade" was " I dont know about the hardest to upgrade but I know to achieve 1000+ hp, the hardest part to replenish is my bank account!!"

+1000

1000hp DD ummm? don't know about that. By the time you cut, trim, and rework, (roll cage) i don't think the 4-door sleeper apeal would be there anymore.

bwooten492
12-30-2009, 12:23 PM
a 4l80 does seem possible. I think the 6l80 we have could hold if built though. RPM has a vette with one going 9s i believe...
Mozilla/5.0 440x240 Samsung SCH-U940 NetFront/3.4

SFC
12-30-2009, 04:06 PM
So the questions I've asked time and time again, and not had answered:

What's the price for the Rossler built transmission?
Who's making fuel systems, and what's the price?

I'm going to be borderline on both after this winter, and these forums seem to give me nothing in response but a "I'm working with a guy but I don't want you to bother him". Great, that helps a lot!

parish8
12-30-2009, 04:18 PM
fuel system is no mystery. to do it right i would replace pretty much everything. rails, front mount regulator, -10 feed, -6 return, staged pumps or a variable speed pump.

only question is what you want to do in the back. for me it would be something along the lines of a sealed surge tank. use the stock pump/tank to keep it full. about 1 gallon. on the top of the tank have a return line to back to the stock tank. from the surge tank start your new fuel system with a feed to the new pump and eventualy your return line coming back.

i am planing something more fancy. going duel fuel with 2 sets of phased in injectors. issue i have i dont really want to replace the intake to allow me a 2nd set of injectors but i dont know how to add a set to the plastic intake.

GeorgeInNePa
12-30-2009, 04:29 PM

What's the price for the Rossler built transmission?
Who's making fuel systems, and what's the price?

I'm going to be borderline on both after this winter, and these forums seem to give me nothing in response but a "I'm working with a guy but I don't want you to bother him". Great, that helps a lot!

Now seriously, you can Google Rossler and get their email and phone number. You can do the same for RPM Transmission. They are both, reportedly, offering bullet-proofing.

As far as fuel, there have been links to a Vendor on LS1Tech that does custom fuel systems. There have been links to Harrop/VCM and their modified factory tank with duel pumps. GTPrix even said that Harrop USA has a tank in stock in MI.

There are a few guys here working with other vendors getting custom fuel systems built. they plan to produce them for the masses, but testing takes time.

What more can we do for you? We are in uncharted territory for the G8. Many times one of us has to be the first to do something. Maybe it's your turn...

Robert@KBXPerformance
12-30-2009, 04:38 PM
fuel system is no mystery. to do it right i would replace pretty much everything. rails, front mount regulator, -10 feed, -6 return, staged pumps or a variable speed pump.

only question is what you want to do in the back. for me it would be something along the lines of a sealed surge tank. use the stock pump/tank to keep it full. about 1 gallon. on the top of the tank have a return line to back to the stock tank. from the surge tank start your new fuel system with a feed to the new pump and eventualy your return line coming back.

i am planing something more fancy. going duel fuel with 2 sets of phased in injectors. issue i have i dont really want to replace the intake to allow me a 2nd set of injectors but i dont know how to add a set to the plastic intake.

Why do you want to run phased injectors?

parish8
12-30-2009, 04:43 PM
Why do you want to run phased injectors?

i want to run pump gas on one set and phase in the other set as the power comes on and have meth or race gas in that set.

basicly have 1000hp on tap all the time. no need to run home and add some race gas. no wasting race gas idleing in the staging lanes....

we did it on another project and it is working well. i will post up a link when we get back from dinner. on the way out now.

Robert@KBXPerformance
12-30-2009, 05:57 PM
i want to run pump gas on one set and phase in the other set as the power comes on and have meth or race gas in that set.

basicly have 1000hp on tap all the time. no need to run home and add some race gas. no wasting race gas idleing in the staging lanes....

we did it on another project and it is working well. i will post up a link when we get back from dinner. on the way out now.

I am familiar with staged injector systems I was just curious what your particular reasoning was for going with it. It seems that you are really trying to keep yours a street car too. :)

parish8
12-30-2009, 06:16 PM
I am familiar with staged injector systems I was just curious what your particular reasoning was for going with it. It seems that you are really trying to keep yours a street car too. :)

i have lots of reasons to do it. one is i like a more complex set up. if it is too easy i get bored, need a challenge. in the past have ran one fuel system and either i was out and wanted the extra power but didn't have the race gas or i had the race gas and no one to race and ended up wasting $80 if fuel just driving around.

another thing is you pretty much have to rebuild the entire fuel system if you really want some high power. why not leave the factory stuff there and build a 2nd fuel system. not a whole lot of cost diference between the 2. very little if i can find a way to keep the stock intake.

it wasn't my intent to build a really high powered car but it looks like i am headed that way.

here is a pic of our wagon project. this is tuned with a low cost megasquirt. you can see the 2 ve tables and the 2 pw's in the chart. you can see it switch from one ve to the other. works pretty good.

http://www.neufamily.org/images/67novagallery/images/67nova%20484.jpg

http://www.neufamily.org/images/67novagallery/images/untitled.jpg

SFC
12-30-2009, 08:15 PM
Now seriously, you can Google Rossler and get their email and phone number. You can do the same for RPM Transmission. They are both, reportedly, offering bullet-proofing.

Right, but I don't want to call just to ask them what their pricing is when I'm not in the market today. I don't like wasting people's time. If I were going to do it next week, I'd be on the phone.

People here keep talking about it, I guess I didn't realize that the purpose of this forum was to tell people to pick up a phone. Here I thought we actually attempted to help each other out with questions.

If someone makes a post asking for the lug nut specs, do you tell them to call GM? Because that's about as helpful as your response above.

As far as fuel, there have been links to a Vendor on LS1Tech that does custom fuel systems. There have been links to Harrop/VCM and their modified factory tank with duel pumps. GTPrix even said that Harrop USA has a tank in stock in MI.

There are a few guys here working with other vendors getting custom fuel systems built. they plan to produce them for the masses, but testing takes time.

What more can we do for you? We are in uncharted territory for the G8. Many times one of us has to be the first to do something. Maybe it's your turn...

I recall GTPrix making a thread about fuel systems, then never responding when I and several other asked some questions.

Again, no prices, and a lot of speculation. You're answering with the same non-answers as the other threads. If the sole purpose of your response was to annoy me with the same bullshit I saw in the other threads, congrats. If you were attempting to add anything of value to this forum, you failed miserably.

So can anyone else, who actually purchased a fuel system or rossler/RPM upgrade, let us know what the ballpark pricing is, and what kind of power you've been told it will support?

GeorgeInNePa
12-30-2009, 08:31 PM
Right, but I don't want to call just to ask them what their pricing is when I'm not in the market today. I don't like wasting people's time. If I were going to do it next week, I'd be on the phone.

People here keep talking about it, I guess I didn't realize that the purpose of this forum was to tell people to pick up a phone. Here I thought we actually attempted to help each other out with questions.

If someone makes a post asking for the lug nut specs, do you tell them to call GM? Because that's about as helpful as your response above.

I recall GTPrix making a thread about fuel systems, then never responding when I and several other asked some questions.

Again, no prices, and a lot of speculation. You're answering with the same non-answers as the other threads. If the sole purpose of your response was to annoy me with the same bullshit I saw in the other threads, congrats. If you were attempting to add anything of value to this forum, you failed miserably.

So can anyone else, who actually purchased a fuel system or rossler/RPM upgrade, let us know what the ballpark pricing is, and what kind of power you've been told it will support?

So I guess I need to drive to your place and enter the urls in your computer myself?

Maybe the reason no one has any info on the trans upgrades is that none of us has had them done yet. I read of one guy who posts on G8 Board that was going to have work done but then didn't mention anything after that. He was the first one to mention it.

Wait, I'll give Rossler a call for you tomorrow and get you the info. Will that be more helpful?

There have been 3 people that I know of that have done fuel system upgrades, aside from a Boost-a-Pump.

One is Intense, I'm sure they can give you the price of their system. The other is Ktlpxlm who has said that the vendor who did his system isn't ready to market it yet, but will be soon.

I'm sorry that we can't be more helpful, we'll try much harder in the future.

Now you can whine again.

G8GT721
12-30-2009, 08:35 PM
So I guess I need to drive to your place and enter the urls in your computer myself?

Maybe the reason no one has any info on the trans upgrades is that none of us has had them done yet. I read of one guy who posts on G8 Board that was going to have work done but then didn't mention anything after that. He was the one to mention it.

Wait, I'll give Rossler a call for you tomorrow and get you the info. Will that be more helpful?

There have been 3 people that I know of that have done fuel system upgrades, aside from a Boost-a-Pump.

One is Intense, I'm sure they can give you the price of their system. The other is Ktlpxlm (http://forum.grrrr8.net/member.php?u=611) who has said that the vendor who did his system isn't ready to market it yet, but will be soon.

Now you can whine again.

but whats the price? even though im not ready

GeorgeInNePa
12-30-2009, 08:47 PM
lol

SFC
12-30-2009, 08:52 PM

Maybe the reason no one has any info on the trans upgrades is that none of us has had them done yet. I read of one guy who posts on G8 Board that was going to have work done but then didn't mention anything after that. He was the first one to mention it.

One is Intense, I'm sure they can give you the price of their system. The other is Ktlpxlm who has said that the vendor who did his system isn't ready to market it yet, but will be soon.

Now you can whine again.

No, what would be helpful is you not posting at all if you have nothing useful to add to the discussion. I asked pretty straightforward questions that have pretty straightforward answers. If nobody has purchased, great, then nobody will respond.

I didn't ask "hey guys, I have no clue how I could ever possibly get this information outside of this forum, where would I find it?" I was asking for people with experience in either of the categories.

It's good to know you have none, but are more than willing to tell me something I already know. Thanks!

SFC
12-30-2009, 08:55 PM
but whats the price? even though im not ready

:lol: Why would anyone want to know the price of an expensive upgrade in advance? I can't think of any reason that would ever enter someone's train of thought.

GRRRR8
12-30-2009, 09:00 PM
No, what would be helpful is you not posting at all if you have nothing useful to add to the discussion. I asked pretty straightforward questions that have pretty straightforward answers. If nobody has purchased, great, then nobody will respond.

I didn't ask "hey guys, I have no clue how I could ever possibly get this information outside of this forum, where would I find it?" I was asking for people with experience in either of the categories.

It's good to know you have none, but are more than willing to tell me something I already know. Thanks!

It seems you are having a bad day. No reason to be rude. The response you got was a WHOLE lot nicer then if I had got to it 1st.

GeorgeInNePa
12-30-2009, 09:45 PM

:wacko:

Robert@KBXPerformance
12-30-2009, 10:29 PM
:lol: Why would anyone want to know the price of an expensive upgrade in advance? I can't think of any reason that would ever enter someone's train of thought.

SFC just quit while you aren't too far behind. I fully agree with what George said in his first post to you. If you know the place that is known for doing the transmission upgrades for the 6L80E and feel you aren't getting enough information on a forum then why not call them yourself? Or did you really think throwing up a bitch session was going to solve anything? George, Charlie, Me, and many other here are VERY willing to help others with their power endeavors but jesus man at least be willing to do a LITTLE bit of leg work yourself! Lazy people annoy the hell out of me. If you aren't willing to put in the time to try to find things out then why should we? If you look around the prices have been posted for the Rossler upgrade on this forum and the other one. I know this because I posted them. Google search works wonders too....so does a phone... Doing a search may have revealed this, rather than starting shit with a well respected member on here.

Devilish34
12-31-2009, 03:58 AM
More than $3000+ tax and shipping

G8GT721
12-31-2009, 06:47 AM
OK. so as you may already know i have one fucked up transmission and after my standing mile adventures it's only gotten worse. Anyway i spoke with RPM Transmission about having them rebuild my tranny. They told me they could do a clutch upgrade + fix my transmission (as long is there's no real serious damage), including my gears slippage problem. This seems to be cheaper than what it would cost to fix the tranny at any local place alone.

Anyone have and thoughts on this, or on RPM Transmission, i don't have any personnal experience with them but i heard a few good comments.

did they give you ballpark on what the cost would be?

Actually he gave me an exact number 1,295 + shipping.

just another option albeit more pricey...

http://www.rosslertrans.com/

They are the one that livernois recommends and did the C6 trans. They only have one build level and has been working w/o a failure on several cars upwards of 1000hp price is $2395

heres all i could find

Devilish34
12-31-2009, 07:19 AM
heres all i could find

I would be curious as to what the RPM build level is and I assume the rossler is your trans shipped and rebuilt. Either way thats not bad at all.

mauricec00
12-31-2009, 08:16 AM
tuning the engine is easy. tranny tuning might be a bitch.

if you have the money to make that power you need a good tranny ya you can tune the stock tranny but inners will not hold up. and on a 150 shot and slicks it blows through the converter like no other. so if i was going to make over 1000hp i would run a power glide for my tranny witch later this year i will put a power glide in my car along with the 408 stroker. and then we go back to the converter a must. and rear end like a 9 inch and a 4 link or ladder bar set up. and you need fast or big stuff something for tuning. i am going to look into the stock computer and do some research and see if the stock computer can do it i might be wrong. some one needs to make some good power soon i would love to see it.

THE KIDD:secret:

GRRRR8
12-31-2009, 08:40 AM
I think a powerglide destroys the whole concept of the car. I would say a
4L80E would be a better choice.

MGM GT
12-31-2009, 08:50 AM
I think a powerglide destroys the whole concept of the car. I would say a
4L80E would be a better choice.

Indeed it would... its a modern day grand touring car not an old hot rod.

I would look more at the 6L90 or a Gforce street 6 speed that would bolt in and handle the power just fine.

parish8
12-31-2009, 09:19 AM
worst case is i go with a 4l80e. i have pushed one of them over 1000rwhp in a 5000lb truck no problem. i dont mind working thru some issues with the 6l80e. the guys at finishlinetrans are friends of mine, they will figure out how to make one kick ass.

irnwkrkev
12-31-2009, 11:28 AM
For the glide, 9", 4 link.....why go with a 4,000lb. 4 door that cost well over $20,000? Go get a light weight nova or camaro roller. I can totally see the reasoning of doing it with stock parts if they can hold up and still be "STREETABLE".