PDA

View Full Version : Steering WHeel Swap ... need some help.

legion455
12-26-2009, 11:27 AM
Hi all..

Today I put in the new red/black steering when in my G8 … look excellent!

But I’ve got a small problem.

The instructions call for moving the wheel 90 degrees in order to push aside the springs holding the airbag in place.
When I moved the steering wheel, 10-20 degrees or so, .. it locked in place (as is normal)
Well the only way I could unlock it was to put the key in the ignition…

Then I could move the wheel to finish the job …
No I’m at the last point (putting on the upper/lower wheel covers), … but for some reason, the key seems to be locked in the ignition and won’t come out.

And because it sayts in big red letters, do NOT put key in the ignition … I’m afraid to put the fuse back in and then the battery cable…
Thinking the airbag will blow!!

I’m guessing that when I have power in the car again, I’ll be able to remove the key. Did I miss something in the instructions?
Need help getting the key out!

Thanks, way in advance.
Allen

legion455
12-26-2009, 01:51 PM
Yep, had to hook up the battery ...

and the airbag didn't blow ... whew!

take care
Allen

hflores3
01-04-2010, 03:19 AM
Thank goodness you "piloted" this process with the key! Swapped my steering wheel yesterday.

Not too difficult although I snapped off a !@#$%^&* lower cover tab!! Instructions say "pull toward rear of vehicle" ....but there is nowhere to go as the steering wheel blocks movement towards rear. Either....:

a) the process should be changed to refelct unbolting the steering wheel to get the extra .25 inch of end play to remove the lower cover
b) or my lower cover had "more plastic around the tab" than was needed.

Fundamentally, it should be okay without one tab. But if others don't have to lose "a tab" then I have contributed to the forum.

Thanks for the "watch out" on the key!