PDA

View Full Version : V6 engine growl

GregC63
10-16-2008, 02:46 PM
Is it me, or does anyone else's V6 produce a growl until it hits about 4th or 5th gear?

Kind of strange, and I only really notice it when the windows are up.

Has me scratching my head, or am I just hearing things?

Thanks,

Greg

Steve
10-16-2008, 04:08 PM
I test drove a V6 before I got mine and though that was a while ago I never got any 'growl' that I can remember. I'm sure some of the members with a V6 will chime in when they see this thread.

GregC63
10-16-2008, 06:29 PM
I think I'm gonna run it by the dealership just to see what the salesman and service techs think.

I could be paranoid too...

GregC63
10-18-2008, 02:47 AM
:DTook it to the dealership and the mechanic heard the same thing I did.

He said it sounded like the GTO motor under heavy acceleration, but could make heads or tails of why the G8 was making it in the lower gear ranges. He assured me that it wasn't anything mechanical. He said if it was a main bearing or a journal, it surely would have already blown up or at the least lit a warning light.

They had another V6 on the lot, we drove that one around for about a half an hour as well and it did the same thing.

He wrote a service ticket on it and sent it into GM, he didn't think it was anything to worry about, just nature of the beast.

I think it may have to do with the exhaust ports and manifold and the way it resonates in the cabin with the windows up.

At least I have some documentation from the dealer if there is an issue.

That and I think I'm a little paranoid, I don't want anything to happen to my baby!!

norm8332
10-18-2008, 06:42 AM
I haven't driven the V6, but according to most reviews of it that I have read, the V6 does have a unique and noticeable sound.

John Wilson
10-18-2008, 10:14 AM
Mine makes the same "ugly" sound...I still love the V6! John Wilson

Mashko1
10-19-2008, 04:46 AM
It reminds me every time I hit the gas to be thankful it's not a Prius.

I was walking down the street the other day and almost got hit by one. You can't hear the damn thing.

GregC63
10-19-2008, 06:48 PM
Lmao

Mich's04
11-01-2008, 08:06 PM
I noticed that the V6 does have a bit of a growl until it hits high gear. I think it seems normal to me. You have to figure the engine is a small displacement with a good strong torque curve, thats moving a 3,900 lb car. Once the car is up to cruising speed in high gear, there is no longer a big load on the engine. The growling should be gone.
Now awhile back, I test drove a G8 V6, and that particular car was noisy as all hell. This car I just bought is a lot less noisy than the previous one I drove. So who knows. Probably nothing to be concerned with.

09G8CGY
06-11-2009, 06:07 PM
I have a 2009 G8 V6 and I love the car. I don't know if I am thinking of the same growl. If I am, it reminds me of the sound of an early to mid 90's 3.1L GM engine.

Panzer Leader
06-11-2009, 06:59 PM
Yes it does growel but its better than that high pitch winney crap that a rice burner emits, like a chain saw. Then again I do remember the 1960s and 70s. If I remember, and correct me if I am wrong, Pontiacused to advertise its performance cars as "Cats"

HoldenMan21
06-13-2009, 07:16 PM
Change the muffler with this one, now it's gonna have a GGGGGGROWL !!!

http://www.pm-fl.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=768&osCsid=c09be82d8877a957cfbdcf4cafdb9660

vinzul
06-14-2009, 05:57 PM
hey mine does the same thing.... i thought something was up i got out looked around the car and seen the gxp badge on it...then i was like OHHH OK that's normal.
:flag:

just playing around guys, I wish i had the v6 and could afford a vett or something. have best of both worlds.

i seen a v6 around me and i love the wheels.

Slizzo
06-15-2009, 10:49 AM
Slap an intake on that bad boy and then you'll REALLY hear a growl!

:)

As a more serious side, is it after the car hits a specific rev range? The LY7 has variable valve timing correct? Could be that...

vinzul
06-15-2009, 11:11 AM
Slap an intake on that bad boy and then you'll REALLY hear a growl!

:)

As a more serious side, is it after the car hits a specific rev range? The LY7 has variable valve timing correct? Could be that...

Hey that's a good point
BlackBerry8320/4.5.0.110 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0

Homebrew
10-07-2009, 07:37 AM
On my initial test drive I noticed this engine noise! Didn't think too much about it. Now as a owner I'm thinking this is loud. Not sure if this is a exhaust rumble I hear or just motor noise coming from the engine compartment. Any way you get used to it after awhile. Just wondering what new passengers think? Also how does it sound from behind while accelerating? Car is fairly quiet when cruising.

GuyLeDrew
10-11-2009, 04:13 PM
The growl you're referring to is a well-documented phenomenon, and is quite normal for the V6. Just read the reviews found online. The V8, surprisingly, isn't as "noisy" as the V6 in the lower gears. However, both the wife and I love this sound in our V6, as it reminds us of a "muscle car" sound!

Sidewinder
10-11-2009, 04:39 PM
The growl you're referring to is a well-documented phenomenon, and is quite normal for the V6. Just read the reviews found online. The V8, surprisingly, isn't as "noisy" as the V6 in the lower gears. However, both the wife and I love this sound in our V6, as it reminds us of a "muscle car" sound!

I agree with ya there. I have the Roto-Fab CAI and it makes the car have more of a growl. I do love the sound!

richmond2000
05-29-2010, 11:11 PM
I test drove caddy SRX and CTS and other G8 B4 buying mine and they all "raddled" sorta reminds me of the old ford six pots from the falcons / mustangs