PDA

View Full Version : Just installed my VMS tune

edmanet
10-16-2008, 01:04 PM
It was pretty straight forward. It took about an hour. That counts reading my
ECM/TMC, sending the files to VMS, getting them back and installing the new files.

I got the standard tune with Dod/AFM turned off. That's one less noise to worry about when getting my exhaust. In a couple of weeks I'll post some gas mileage numbers since turning this off only effects mpg. If I still get over 20mpg hwy like my GTo I'll be happy.

Couldn't really do any testing since it just started to rain when I finished installing the tune. I just drove it around the block to make sure everything
felt fine before I mail the flashexpress back to VMS. I can say one thing the car sure feels like its got a bigger set of balls. No use in flooring it if you're just going to sit and spin on a wet road.

Hopefully I can take a test drive on FRI.

GRRRR8
10-16-2008, 01:20 PM
I have the new GRRRR8 jock strap to contain even the largest G8 balls.

Chewy
10-16-2008, 01:22 PM
I think you mean Bawls right? lol

I can't wait to try out the VMS tune... Hell I can't wait to try out the car...:nutkick:

Glad you like it and that it went smooth for ya!

Chris

edmanet
10-16-2008, 01:48 PM
Yeah i meant bawls !!

Blackrider
10-16-2008, 04:45 PM
My cable is on its way right now, I can't wait!

PostalCherokee
10-16-2008, 05:03 PM
You'll be happy. My only real complaint about the car now is it still bogs when you try to take off after slowing down, like for a red light that changes to green. When I step on the go pedal it still bogs for a sec.

Blackrider
10-16-2008, 05:49 PM
Just as long as the god damn 2-1 downshift is fixed i'll be happy!

SRG963
10-17-2008, 04:21 AM
You'll be happy. My only real complaint about the car now is it still bogs when you try to take off after slowing down, like for a red light that changes to green. When I step on the go pedal it still bogs for a sec.

Seems like these car's don't like to be hammered down.

Try going 1/2 to 3/4 throttle then rolling into WOT quickly.

VectorMotorsports
10-17-2008, 07:34 AM

Have you had your trans fluid checked yet? Just curious as it may solve this issue!

Tate
10-17-2008, 03:24 PM
Hurry up and send the damn cable back! I ordered on Wednesday and can't wait for it to get here. I don't even have an idea of when I will get it. I hate waiting... but I guess it will be worth it.
Tate

edmanet
10-17-2008, 04:07 PM
Hurry up and send the damn cable back! I ordered on Wednesday and can't wait for it to get here. I don't even have an idea of when I will get it. I hate waiting... but I guess it will be worth it.
Tate

I started my tune at 2:30pm on THu and was back on the road by 4pm. VMS had their cable back on FRI at 10am. Can't get any quicker than that.

PostalCherokee
10-17-2008, 06:55 PM
Have you had your trans fluid checked yet? Just curious as it may solve this issue!

No I have not checked my fluid level yet. You know more about these cars than me so I'm not arguing, but I think it has to do with the throttle by wire crap. My tranny shifts fine. I don't feel or hear any slipping that would make me think it's low on fluid.

Blackrider
10-17-2008, 07:12 PM
I got the cable today and grabed the files off the ECM and TCM, but I have to wait until Monday as Vector is closed on the weekend.

Its going to be a long weekend and Monday work day. lol

-Ray-
10-18-2008, 04:56 AM
That's like going to jail on Friday during a 3 day weekend holiday.
:(

Tate
10-18-2008, 05:10 AM
I got the cable today and grabed the files off the ECM and TCM, but I have to wait until Monday as Vector is closed on the weekend.

Man, I hope that doesn't happen to me. I don't do to well with the patience thing. Something about being a Military Training Instructor... I like things my way right the hell now!

Off topic... How long is the cable? From the end that plugs into the computer to the end that plugs into the car.
Tate

wreckwriter
10-18-2008, 05:27 AM

Isn't Vector having an event today?

http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6579

Maybe you'll get lucky?

Panther 2
10-18-2008, 07:56 AM
Cable is 3'-4' long goes from cars OBDII port to USB port on the computer.

Blackrider
10-18-2008, 10:20 AM
The cable I have is about 11' total length.

GeorgeInNePa
10-18-2008, 01:16 PM
10' or so long. The USB cable is 6', you can buy a 10' USB cable at CC or Best Buy.

Tate
10-18-2008, 03:10 PM
Cool, I look into a USB cable to extend it out. I have no laptop for this and no friends that I have do either. I was going to move the computer to the garage, but the wife said "Hell, NO!
Tate

bobyoung
10-18-2008, 05:43 PM
Yeah I'm waiting to hear back from VMS and will have to borrow a laptop too. Wonder if the wife would go nuts if she came home and the computer was in the middle of the driveway?:rant:

wreckwriter
10-18-2008, 06:02 PM
Keep in mind you only need the car hooked to the computer twice, for about 5 minutes each time.

GN driver
10-18-2008, 06:39 PM
Keep in mind you only need the car hooked to the computer twice, for about 5 minutes each time.
Okay, guys, somebody have mercy on the new guy. VMS tune, stealth tune, Flash/express I have read 100 times and can't find a description of either if they aren't actually the same thing. Plus, what is involved in going thru with all this as I am hot to go.
Thanks

wreckwriter
10-18-2008, 07:06 PM
Okay, guys, somebody have mercy on the new guy. VMS tune, stealth tune, Flash/express I have read 100 times and can't find a description of either if they aren't actually the same thing. Plus, what is involved in going thru with all this as I am hot to go.
Thanks

VMS- Vector Motorsports. A site sponsor listed at left. Many of us run their tune with good success. Stealth tune is just an enhancement to VMS tune that makes it harder for dealer to tell its a third party tune. Flash Express is the cable/interface used to apply a VMS tune. You rent it from Vector to apply the tune files.

Check Vector website on the left for prices and such.

edmanet
10-19-2008, 05:36 AM
Its fairly simple. The whole process took me less than two hrs.

1-install software on laptop/pc from usb drive
2-hook cable up to car and computer
3- open EMC program, click connect read ECM, save file when finished
4- open TMC program, click connect read TCM, save file when finished
5- email files to VMS
6- VMS will email you *mod* files for ECM & TCM
7- open EMC program, click connect install ECM mod file
8-open TMC program, click connect install TCM mod file
9- take for test drive
10- mail back flashxpress

GN driver
10-20-2008, 05:13 AM
Edmanet and wreckwriter, thanks.

jbradsh1
10-25-2008, 02:26 AM

After reading your post, I thought I'd post my experience. I had what sounds like a similar problem. In fact when I used to go around a corner just normally and apply a little throttle it would hesitate before taking off, not to mention hesitating off the line & after slowing down and then hitting the throttle.
I just got back from VMS. I asked Kirk if he could apply the latest factory update first, which I think is not the 08150 but the 08136 (may be off on this number some) and then apply the VMS tcm tune over that. He said sure and was concientious enough to drive my car with his laptop next to him to make sure it was right. I've had no issues since having that done. Trans works perfectly, just like you'd want it. Hope this helps.

g8gt134
10-25-2008, 07:07 AM
should i be getting the vms tune with the dod/afm turned on or off. Thanks!

Blackrider
10-25-2008, 10:25 AM
should i be getting the vms tune with the dod/afm turned on or off. Thanks!

If you want, you'll lose a bit of fuel economy, however it will get rid of the AFM hesatation and the drone with aftermarket exhaust systems.

g8gt134
10-25-2008, 10:41 AM
thanks, but i'm still confused. I had the dealer reprogram something or other from information i got on one of the forums. This seems to have worked. No more hesitation. I'm not too concerned about fuel economy, in that i don't use the car on a daily basis. Have the car since April and logged 1800 mi. I'm not too savvy when it comes to these things so i really want to just get optimum performance from the tune. Thanks again!

Panther 2
10-25-2008, 12:10 PM
E-mail or call Vector Motor Sports , and they can answer your questions concerning your tune.I still retained Dod/Amf , personel choice , I don't believe it helped or hurt performance, just gas mileage, much better if retained.

Blackdevil77
10-25-2008, 12:20 PM
thanks, but i'm still confused. I had the dealer reprogram something or other from information i got on one of the forums. This seems to have worked. No more hesitation. I'm not too concerned about fuel economy, in that i don't use the car on a daily basis. Have the car since April and logged 1800 mi. I'm not too savvy when it comes to these things so i really want to just get optimum performance from the tune. Thanks again!

lol wow. I got my car around the same time then! (Very end of April) and have over 5000 miles lol

GeorgeInNePa
10-25-2008, 03:46 PM
I have around 8900 miles on mine.

;)

bobyoung
10-25-2008, 06:20 PM
I gotta slow down, got mine Oct 5th and have about 3200 miles already. Well I got a bunch of wifi stuff today so I can haul the damn computer downstairs, once I get it all hooked up and running right I'm going to e-mail VMS. I'm not a big computer guy, I'm still in the analog days so I hope the instructions are plain and simple.:huh:

Panther 2
10-25-2008, 07:25 PM
:rant:You better be quick with the flash express cable ,or some of those guys waiting for them may be knocking on you door!

GRRRR8
10-25-2008, 07:50 PM
:rant:You better be quick with the flash express cable ,or some of those guys waiting for them may be knocking on you door!

^What he said!^ I will be needing it to get the tune so I can hit the track before it closes.

bobyoung
11-17-2008, 09:25 PM
Well I got it on Friday 11-14 right about 5 when they close so I sent it to him and got it late Monday afternoon 11-17, was done in about ten minutes. Now it goes in the body shop tomorrow to pull all the deer hairs outta my cars snout, will be gone for a week. :mad: