PDA

View Full Version : So who's running the MicroEdge controller?

13 QTR
12-20-2009, 02:42 AM
If so...what wire did you use as the rpm signal. I was gonna use a coil pulse wire..just don't know which one. For the factory 02 wire...which color? I'm pretty sure you use the purple wire for the tps signal. I just don't want to go skinning back insulation checking them with a meter...

Nick@HSW
12-21-2009, 08:39 AM
A/F - I will need to see what brand sensor the G8's are using. It should be either a purple or black wire.

TPS - Purple

RPM - If going off of coil pack, compare the 4 coils and the color of wires going into each of them. All of them will be the same color except for 1 on each coil. You'll want to tap into one of the odd ball colors.

Hope that helps. Thanks.

Nick

jaxredg8
12-21-2009, 10:00 AM
I have the micro-edge. I just remember the installer said he couldnt use the same pick off point as the GTO so he went straight off the plug. I will try to get more info from him if you need it!

SinCity G8
12-21-2009, 11:01 AM
I would like to know this as well since I will finally be finishing the hook up over the holidays. I know the purple wire for TPS and I would also like to know for sure the coil wire and the O2 wire.

13 QTR
12-21-2009, 11:57 AM
appreciate the help...won't get the wiring done till after the new year...but the bottle and plate/solenoids are mounted.

EL PAPI OG8
12-29-2009, 07:11 PM
I want to wire rpm signal to crank sensor.is it possible.Also a little off subject what is best progressive setting,shooting 100hp.

Robert@KBXPerformance
12-29-2009, 07:24 PM
TPS WIRING: Tap into Upper Left (back) Green wire for TPS FALLING voltage...

TACH WIRING: Tap into purple wire on front drivers side #1 coil harness clip.
RPM Multiplier x2.

TPS- Which wire you tap into for TPS signal depends on whether you are looking for a rising or falling voltage signal. Most progressive controllers will allow you to use either as long as you ensure that the controller is set for it.
TACH- The tach signal can be pulled from more locations than the one I am posting but this is the one I decided to use.
AFR- As for getting the AFR reading for the lean safety of the nitrous system you should ONLY use one from a wideband O2 controller with its own wideband sensor. Since these cars are safe with a WOT AFR in the middle to high 11:1 range while on the juice you will need to have a wideband to see when it drifts leaner than that. The stock sensors on the G8's are narrowband O2 sensors which are meant for reading cruise AFR's near stoich AFR (14.64:1 AFR). They not only sense AFR's in a band too narrow to effectively use for monitoring safe WOT AFR's of juiced setups but they are also MUCH less accurate too because of their poor resolution. If you use the stock narrowband O2's for an AFR signal then you might as well not even use that feature of the controller. Do it off of a wideband or nothing.

I am attaching a screenshot of my FJO progressive controller settings I used in my G8 GT when I was spraying it. Hope it helps give some of you guys a little bit of an idea of where to start even if you are using a different progressive controller than I did. How aggressive you make your settings will depend on personal preference and how the car is setup to handle the power especially from a suspension and traction stance.

http://forum.grrrr8.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=4780&d=1262143331

EL PAPI OG8
12-29-2009, 07:38 PM
So you think tps falling is my best bet.Do you start spraying in 2nd,b/c I get a bit loose already from 1st to 2nd with motor only.

Robert@KBXPerformance
12-29-2009, 07:41 PM
So you think tps falling is my best bet.Do you start spraying in 2nd,b/c I get a bit loose already from 1st to 2nd with motor only.

Neither rising or falling TPS voltage is better than the other. They both are just as good as one another, but some nitrous controllers can only use one or the other. Some controllers can use both. What your particular controller can use will determine which signal you pull from.

I started spraying in 1st gear at 3000rpms at 10% and then ramped to 100% by 4000rpms and cutoff by 6000rpms. I had terrible traction issues while on stock tires which required quite a bit of throttle feathering with those settings but they worked just fine when I finally got my M/T ET Street's on it.

EL PAPI OG8
12-29-2009, 07:46 PM
Thank's lots.can I PM you for any tech advise.

Robert@KBXPerformance
12-29-2009, 07:48 PM
Thank's lots.can I PM you for any tech advise.

Yeah, that's ok. I am happy to help just make sure you search around in here first just in case the answer may have already been posted to your question.

13 QTR
12-29-2009, 08:35 PM
I just got back from having mine installed.. for right now...I'm using the factory 02 reading. From reading the microedge while spraying and then looking at the voltage sheet...I'm around 12.6 afr. I set the cutoff limit at 0.80 which equals 12.8. I'm activating at 3200 and shuting off at 5800.....thinking of uping it to 6000 shutoff,I shift at 6200.

Robert@KBXPerformance
12-29-2009, 08:41 PM
I just got back from having mine installed.. for right now...I'm using the factory 02 reading. From reading the microedge while spraying and then looking at the voltage sheet...I'm around 12.6 afr. I set the cutoff limit at 0.80 which equals 12.8. I'm activating at 3200 and shuting off at 5800.....thinking of uping it to 6000 shutoff,I shift at 6200.

12.6 while spraying is pretty damn lean. I would verify your WOT AFR's with a real wideband and then if it truly is 12.6 at WOT then richen that puppy up a bit. 12.6 is totally fine for a N/A setup but you will want to enrichen the WOT AFR's when spraying or boosted to keep heat and detonation in check.

If that 0.80 is in lambda then your cutoff limit is at 11.7 AFR at WOT not 12.8 AFR. You may want to verify this. But when dealing with AFR's if you are speaking in decimals like that then it is usually referring to lambda in most cases.

14.64 AFR Gas = 1.00 lambda
12.80 AFR Gas = 0.87 lambda
12.00 AFR Gas = 0.82 lambda
11.50 AFR Gas = 0.79 lambda

To convert lambda to AFR: A x B = C

To convert AFR to Lambda: C / A = B

A = 14.64 (stoich AFR)
B = Lambda
C = AFR

13 QTR
12-29-2009, 08:52 PM
12.6 while spraying is pretty damn lean. I would verify your WOT AFR's with a real wideband and then if it truly is 12.6 at WOT then richen that puppy up a bit. 12.6 is totally fine for a N/A setup but you will want to enrichen the WOT AFR's when spraying or boosted.

If that 0.80 is in lambda then your cutoff limit is at 11.7 AFR at WOT not 12.8 AFR.

pretty sure it's not lambda...I'm looking at the paperwork that came with the system for reading a narrowband 02. I'd have to order a bigger fuel jet to richen it up....it runs 12.8 at wot n/a. I got to order a couple new fittings...so I'll look at some new jets. Anybody wanna guess which one I need? Right now I'm running a 51 nitrous and a 31 fuel jet....it's a NOS plate system...

Robert@KBXPerformance
12-29-2009, 09:04 PM
pretty sure it's not lambda...I'm looking at the paperwork that came with the system for reading a narrowband 02. I'd have to order a bigger fuel jet to richen it up....it runs 12.8 at wot n/a. I got to order a couple new fittings...so I'll look at some new jets. Anybody wanna guess which one I need? Right now I'm running a 51 nitrous and a 31 fuel jet....it's a NOS plate system...

Ok I went back and looked at your previous post. I didn't notice that .80 you were referring to was a voltage reading that you were cross referencing to an AFR. Oh well, I guess the little Lambda conversion lesson was for free. :)