PDA

View Full Version : What are symptoms of memory steer?

diamondd817
12-16-2009, 05:06 PM
Found numerous mentions of "memory steer" so I searched and searched but can not find details of this condition. Can anyone explain Memory Steer?

jimmyban
12-17-2009, 05:27 PM
If you come out of a sharp left turn then drive straight the car will pull to the left for some period of time. If you come out of a sharp right turn it will pull to the right. Basically, the condition is a random pull which is related to the last direction the front wheels were turned.

Hope this helps.

Panzer Leader
12-17-2009, 05:59 PM
Assume that this cannot be fixed as it is a characteristic of the car's design?

todds87ss
12-19-2009, 07:45 PM
alignment (more toe?) may help, but will increase tire wear.

Struggle
12-20-2009, 12:25 PM
Memory steer can result from worn components that allow the car to be aligned but still the car will not necessarily center going down the road. Worn ball joints. Caster being more positive than another. Bent control arm. A lot of vehicles you cannot really adjust caster.

Total steering alignment thrust angle will allow a steering wheel to be off yet not always mean it will wear tires out.

There are really a lot of things that can influence memory steer. A bad steering rack allowing pressure to bleed off.

pokey
12-21-2009, 10:31 AM
If you come out of a sharp left turn then drive straight the car will pull to the left for some period of time. If you come out of a sharp right turn it will pull to the right. Basically, the condition is a random pull which is related to the last direction the front wheels were turned.

Hope this helps.

This pretty much explains mine. It felt like to me the worst alignment issue I've experienced in a car which would be bad one day (couldn't let go of the wheel to go straight) and other days ok.

Took to the dealer and they replaced the top strut tower bearings (or somthing like that) PM if you want the details on the work order. My first dealer installed MOD!

todds87ss
12-21-2009, 06:16 PM
This pretty much explains mine. It felt like to me the worst alignment issue I've experienced in a car which would be bad one day (couldn't let go of the wheel to go straight) and other days ok.

Took to the dealer and they replaced the top strut tower bearings (or somthing like that) PM if you want the details on the work order. My first dealer installed MOD!

Did this work?

dandragonrage
12-23-2009, 10:15 AM

Mod? Then my latest mod is the oil change mod. :nah:

pokey
12-23-2009, 10:48 AM
Did this work?

For me, 97+%, yes fixed the very apparent alignment issues I was having. I have noticed once or twice going over a bad bump in town my alignment would go off but then soon later it would be ok? I was thinking this may be a design issue with the configuration of the suspension?

It only did it once though, so I never took it in to bitch.

pokey
12-23-2009, 10:50 AM
Mod? Then my latest mod is the oil change mod. :nah:

Did you combine this with the "new" oil filter mod? :)

JoeSyko
12-23-2009, 11:46 AM
I had this very issue with mine. Turn left & it pulled left...turn right & it pulled right. Had it to 2 different dealers to figure out the problem and was about to take it to a 3rd when the 2nd dealer finally decided to read up on a bulletin on this problem. My strut tower bearings were also replaced and now the issue is gone.