PDA

View Full Version : New member, long time lurker...have a question for all

purduecrew
12-16-2009, 11:35 AM
Hell everyone!

This site has been great for study breaks the last year but the time has finally come, Im graduating this Sunday!!!:woohoo:

Now heres my question...plus a novel.

I have always liked these cars and would love to own one but I'm stuck on the dealers bein a wee bit overzealous in my opinion.

Back in June, I negotiated a deal for a new, loaded, 09 GT mav silver, sunroof, sport, prem. for $25,6XX plus license and title fee. That included tax!! I walked away however as they were tryin to scrooge me when I threw in a trade at the end.

Now that Im graduating, I already have a full time position contract signed and will be doing good IMO for a college grad. The s10 I currently have is paid for and relatively reliable (133K) but I have put half those miles on, so Im comfortable with it. Surely you guys understand that feeling. In other words Im gonna keep it regardless, as it will keep the G8 (hopefully) in the garage

SO, after going through all this and seeing this new $6500 cash back, plus the fact I should qualify for the grad discount, what should I be able to land a new GT for? I found one thats identical to above but no roof and pacific slate( love it). They asked where I wanted to be and I said AT LEAST where I was with the nicer optioned car. This new dealer (today) wasn't willin to deal. Am I out of line? I wouldn't mind hearin from dealers either!

Thanks for reading the novel and have a good day!

Brandon

Oh and P.S. somebody traded in a G8 on a 5K mile GXP Auto( the buyer was from nashville TN, GXP was for sale in Boston). Got the car for 30K plus TTL. STEALLLL!!!! I tried to get it but I was too late

purduecrew
12-16-2009, 02:39 PM
crickets? gheesh

kevinm0131
12-16-2009, 06:03 PM
First off the price was very fair. I usually don't defend dealers, but, you for all intents and purposes pulled a bait and switch by throwing a trade in at the end. If he had switch the car to a base GT would you not have felt that he had change the rules?
I would check out all the local G8's and see what other dealers are willing to do, perhaps even a different salesman at the dealer with the PSM. I do know if you want a brand spankin' new one they are getting pretty scarce. I have seen some pretty good deals on Ebay and there was a board member who had a low mileage 09.5 in the for sale section at a great price too.
good luck...I don't think you will be disappointed with a G8.
Kevin

JPEGXP
12-16-2009, 06:14 PM
First deal sounds too good to be true. Either dealer screwed up, and was trying to blow the deal by low balling the trade, or they would of ran a scam on the finance (if you were financing)
As for now, a brand new one would be scarce. It sounds is if the PSM you've found is brand new. Personally think you're better off without the sunroof. Obviously the car has been sitting for a long time now. I'm sure dealer would take the loss on it, just depends on how much. I'm sure they want to move the car, but you're number might be so far off that they feel they are going nowhere with you. Get a copy of the invoice, and expect the dealer to give up ALL the holdback and any advertising, then less all rebates. I don't think you should really expect much more than that though.
If you wanted the car this badly, for this long and are in a position to afford it and treat yourself.......then DO IT. Money will be easier to replace than this car. If you buy it and find out the following month that it would of been a 1000$ cheaper, are you going to like the car any less?

purduecrew
12-16-2009, 09:51 PM
thanks for the replies gentlemen.

I LIED. I found the paper here on my desk. Looks like it was 26,549. Dont know why the hell I thought it said 25,6XX? Dyslexia?

as far as maybe switchin it up...I see your point. The trade was just painfully sour in my humble opinion. But I digress.

Things are much more sure now and you are right, I would love to have the PSM and its auto ( so the potential wife could drive it, and she says I do nothin for her, :boxing:)

I dunno about shady financing, which yah I would have been financing that car. I just flat dont know.

And also you guys are right, $1000 wont make the difference but everybody likes a good deal. I just can't see in my mind how adding the 6500 deal PLUS college discount should yield me a price any HIGHER than what was negotiated 6 months ago. I guess thats my gripe/question.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c113/bcarr1970/img008.jpg

purduecrew
12-16-2009, 09:53 PM
hell after lookin at that again, I guess I could do better this time around. HMMMMMM.......

GRRRR8
12-16-2009, 09:58 PM
Since you have a previous quote, I would say "shouldnt I pay less now with $6500 off. I surely wouldnt think I would pay more!"

JPEGXP
12-16-2009, 11:17 PM
The way that guy wrote up a buyers order is definitely strange. Is 34,090.00$ the original MSRP for a loaded car? If so, I think that is an 09 and not an 09.5. I remember the sticker on the 09.5's being 35,190.00$ with sport and sunroof.
I'd be psyched to find a brand new PSM. My G8 is the first car I have had without a sunroof and I surprisingly don't miss it, and when I get in my other cars I never open the roof anymore.
Either way I bet you will be happy and good luck with everything.

incon3037r
12-17-2009, 12:29 AM
There was no bait and tackle. You should always haggle for the lowest price before introducing any trade in. I've done that on all of my vehicles.

jbradG8GT
12-17-2009, 08:19 AM
I think you did the right thing by not letting them know about the trade in first. That's the way it should be done, otherwise you would be cheating yourself out of additional savings. There are three separate negotiations at the dealership. First the purchase price of the vehicle, then the trade in (if you have one), then the financing (if needed) and all should be done separate.

purduecrew
12-17-2009, 09:23 AM
Well thats what I was *thinking*. I guess it sorta, sorta didn't work. Ok, so then lets move on and let me ask, if I qualify for supplier pricing, what should I be looking to get a $34,090 MSRP car for? My math tells me to subtract 8k, for a price of 26,090 OR BETTER, right? The way I see it, a cash incentive from GM shouldn't affect the dealers MARGIN. Any help there?

G8GXP4now
12-17-2009, 10:22 AM
$6500 rebate! Wow, keep holding out. the rebate has to get to $10K soon. How many GT's are left?

UGotSmkd
12-17-2009, 11:48 AM
First off the price was very fair. I usually don't defend dealers, but, you for all intents and purposes pulled a bait and switch by throwing a trade in at the end. If he had switch the car to a base GT would you not have felt that he had change the rules?
I would check out all the local G8's and see what other dealers are willing to do, perhaps even a different salesman at the dealer with the PSM. I do know if you want a brand spankin' new one they are getting pretty scarce. I have seen some pretty good deals on Ebay and there was a board member who had a low mileage 09.5 in the for sale section at a great price too.
good luck...I don't think you will be disappointed with a G8.
Kevin

That is what you are supposed to do. You negotiate the walk out price, and then add trade in. It's no secret. Smart car buyers have been doing it for years. It is so that dealers don't add more to the final price while giving you peanuts for your trade, all while making the deal look like a steal.

sweetair
12-17-2009, 01:38 PM
I think you did the right thing by not letting them know about the trade in first. That's the way it should be done, otherwise you would be cheating yourself out of additional savings. There are three separate negotiations at the dealership. First the purchase price of the vehicle, then the trade in (if you have one), then the financing (if needed) and all should be done separate.Agreed, agreed and agreed!! Always separate the three.

JPEGXP
12-17-2009, 06:34 PM
You're mentioning getting "supplier price" you can do better than that price. Supplier was usually 4-500$ over invoice.
This an 09, not an 09.5 I believe. Tell them to give up all the hold back, but settle for half, and give up any advertising on the invoice. Then subtract your 6,500$ and you can walk away comfortably knowing you've gotten the best possible deal for this month.

purduecrew
12-17-2009, 08:34 PM
Thanks for all your help JPEGXP but help me put numbers on this. ive been pluggin equations all day on how to minimize variance per risk assessed in portfolios given a certain group of assets. However subtraction is eluding me, forgive me.

Heres exactly what I got. Its an 09, MSRP is 34090. IMO thats more important than what they are asking right now.

So Im a college grad, that qualifies for supplier, and then the 6500 is in addition to that. supposed to be worth 8k on a GT. That gets me to 26090. How much is holdback, bout 900? advertising? i know the poor chap needs to pay the bills but I don't need to be that guy :) (never bought a new car)

So are you suggesting working myself to like 25,500? Like was said earlier, I don't want to price myself out of the conversation???:confused:

DO THE GM DISCOUNTS CUT INTO THE DEALERS MARGIN?????????

JPEGXP
12-20-2009, 01:05 PM
Sorry wasn't on for a few days. GM discounts don't effect the dealers margin. In fact certain discounts and incentives are sometimes available, but a dealer doesn't have to tell you.
In case you're wondering, I worked in a GM P,B,G, store for about 4 years, doing mostly all sales. I'm sorry I don't have the access I once did to pull the invoice for you. GM closed us in September.
From what I remember, holdback on a G8 is around 900$ I believe. You can really rub a dealer the wrong way in asking for holdback, but since the car is aged, I think they can understand. Advertising could range from about 300$-600$ that shit sucks. If you can get half advertising and half hold back this deal will be in the vicinity of 1200$ cheaper than Supplier price. IMO if I had a car sitting on my lot that long, and had an interested buyer I would do what needs to be done to move it. My owner how ever wouldn't care, he hated old aged units and would take a short deal to roll the car.
Have you seen the invoice yet, or gotten it yourself from online somewhere?

kevinm0131
12-20-2009, 08:14 PM
Here's a dealer lookin' to get rid of his last one:
http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27111

kevin

purduecrew
12-20-2009, 09:59 PM
Thanks kevin I saw that one. Sport package gives you the 19's right? Is that it? I noticed it only had premium. I know I know that info is prolly posted somewhere...

And JPEGXP, thank you! Now thats what I was wonderin! Dont apologize. I understand people have lives, hell I just graduated today!

The car Im lookin at has been at the dealer over 30 days. the salesman said they bought it from GMAC when GMAC reposessed it from a different dealership. Its a 34,090 MSRP car. They have $25,997 on it right now on the lot. The car is "certified used" but the only owner was gmac so the salesman said this car now has 4yr 48K BTB and 6yr 112K powertrain warranty??? I guess thats possible? There is exactly 42X miles on it. I think I may go pay him a visit with a 24K offer and shoot to end up on 25K. Go team?!?

JPEGXP
12-21-2009, 09:07 AM
So now it's actually being purchased as a "used" car. Few things to consider. Interest rate on loan could be higher since it's not actually "new". You get the additional time on the warranty, but the warranty is also ticking away on it. Since it's old, it probably balances out to 3/36 or in that area. Not sure if this is still even in effect, but last year you were able to write off the tax on a new car purchase. I have a feeling that stopped though.
30 days old for a used car is fine, 90 days is where you make the decision usually to unload it at auction or try to get rid of it.
Try to get a little history on the car. Original in service date is where the warranty starts. Ask them to run a VIS on it, so you can see what if any repairs have been made on it. May give you an idea of what to expect during ownership.

todds87ss
12-21-2009, 06:15 PM
Thanks kevin I saw that one. Sport package gives you the 19's right? Is that it? I noticed it only had premium. I know I know that info is prolly posted somewhere...

And JPEGXP, thank you! Now thats what I was wonderin! Dont apologize. I understand people have lives, hell I just graduated today!

The car Im lookin at has been at the dealer over 30 days. the salesman said they bought it from GMAC when GMAC reposessed it from a different dealership. Its a 34,090 MSRP car. They have $25,997 on it right now on the lot. The car is "certified used" but the only owner was gmac so the salesman said this car now has 4yr 48K BTB and 6yr 112K powertrain warranty??? I guess thats possible? There is exactly 42X miles on it. I think I may go pay him a visit with a 24K offer and shoot to end up on 25K. Go team?!?

pay the 26K, ask for a BTB 100K warranty throw in. Call this the best deal. Be happy. Anything else will just annoy them and you and make the process painful. Good luck.