PDA

View Full Version : thinking about building a custom kit or two. looking for input.

parish8
12-14-2009, 09:04 PM
i know, i know. i have seen it many times. someone posts up about building some kits and get people all excited and then they flake out or worse yet take money from people and dont deliver. i hope i am not that guy.

let me first say i am not looking to build a pile of kits. if i do anything it will be one set up at a time and just a few in years time.

i am looking for any input that you guys have to share. what it is people might want to buy. how much they might be willing to pay. level of materials...

i have an example of what i would be able to do for someone. i added up all the parts and labor for my set up and here is what i came up with.

a complete twin kit, installed, tuned, out the door. $11k

2 precision turbos between 450hp and 650hp each.
2 tial 38mm wg's
1 tial bov
duel in single out intercooler
complete 3" duel exhaust
all stainless pipes, all vbands
best oil return pump i know of
pre dyno, all tuning, post dyno, cable fees, 60lb injectors

you can look at my pics to get an idea of what i am pricing. i am sure i am forgeting some stuff.

does not include meth kit, gauges or boost controller.

soo.... seems like a ton of money. would there be any takers at that price?

i see some ways to shave the price. going with a 2.5" pre made cat back would probably knock off $500. i would just have to rework it a little.

i could do other work. this was just something easy for me to price out since i can just look at my car and add up the parts and time.

fiveoh
12-14-2009, 09:13 PM
Love your work, would love to have a turbo kit but I cant even come close to affording 11k. :) On a side note where are you located?

ulakovic22
12-15-2009, 08:02 AM
If I had the money I would be game, but honestly I would be the guy who buys a kit, installs myself and then gets a tune. Are you not interested in doing a couple kits because you want to build it on the car so you know everything fits and is good quality? That's how I would feel and I imagine anyone taking the time to do this themselves feels the same way.

esinger
12-15-2009, 09:42 AM
Not that $11K wouldn't be worth it for a turnkey package, but that's still a chunk of change for most people.

Personally I'd only be interested in the fabricated pieces. That way I could assemble the kit at my own financial pace. Turbos, wastegates, intercoolers, injectors, etc... can be bought almost anywhere, but not so with fabricated intake and exhaust piping.

ulakovic22
12-15-2009, 12:15 PM
To add to the above, I would definitely be interested in the flanges you made to mount the turbo's to the exhaust manifold and the cold side piping.

parish8
12-15-2009, 02:24 PM
To add to the above, I would definitely be interested in the flanges you made to mount the turbo's to the exhaust manifold and the cold side piping.

would you be interested in them if they cost $1100 for the pair.

thats the part from the manifold to the turbo and then a 1.5" off of it with an elbow/flex/flange for each wg.

to me the prices seem high but thats how much it comes out to, to be worth doing.

parish8
12-15-2009, 02:31 PM
Not that $11K wouldn't be worth it for a turnkey package, but that's still a chunk of change for most people.

Personally I'd only be interested in the fabricated pieces. That way I could assemble the kit at my own financial pace. Turbos, wastegates, intercoolers, injectors, etc... can be bought almost anywhere, but not so with fabricated intake and exhaust piping.

i think i can get that stuff as cheap as anyone else. fabing stuff up without the actual parts that are going into the car seems risky.

how about this method. i just sell the kit on my car. i know it fits, i know and can share any issues. if someone wants it for what i need to remake it then i sell it and remake another kit.

hmm. like i said, not looking to make a ton of kits. just thinking outloud to see if it is worth making any kits.

parish8
12-15-2009, 02:34 PM
Love your work, would love to have a turbo kit but I cant even come close to affording 11k. :) On a side note where are you located?

omaha

ulakovic22
12-15-2009, 07:39 PM
how about this method. i just sell the kit on my car. i know it fits, i know and can share any issues. if someone wants it for what i need to remake it then i sell it and remake another kit.

How much?

GTPprix
12-15-2009, 07:51 PM
Parish you need to post some pics of your truck, this man means business folks ;)

MGM GT
12-15-2009, 08:27 PM
Parish you need to post some pics of your truck, this man means business folks ;)

haha that came up in another thread... I agree it gets busy!

parish8
12-15-2009, 08:32 PM
How much?

for exactly what parts?

just looking at the metal stuff.

full 3" dual exhaust, manifold to turbo adapters, 2 charge pipes from turbos to intercooler and charge pipe from intercooler to engine. $4700.

the exhaust costs a ton. lots of material and lots of labor but you can see in my other post the exhaust was worth 86rwhp on a mustang dyno.

add in both turbos, both wg's and bov and thats another $2400

add in some silicone and clamps and that would be more.

couple of disclaimers.

turbos hang down about 1" below frame. might consider a shield of some kind.

the drivers charge pipe is a little low and slightly limits turning to the right. to go higher i would have had to remove or bend the factory air filter mount.

MaxPower
12-16-2009, 06:47 AM

would you be interested in them if they cost $1100 for the pair.

thats the part from the manifold to the turbo and then a 1.5" off of it with an elbow/flex/flange for each wg.

to me the prices seem high but thats how much it comes out to, to be worth doing.

for exactly what parts?

full 3" dual exhaust, manifold to turbo adapters, 2 charge pipes from turbos to intercooler and charge pipe from intercooler to engine. $4700.

the exhaust costs a ton. lots of material and lots of labor but you can see in my other post the exhaust was worth 86rwhp on a mustang dyno.

couple of disclaimers.

the drivers charge pipe is a little low and slightly limits turning to the right. to go higher i would have had to remove or bend the factory air filter mount.

Give me about a month to sell my Lightning, and I'm down. I'd go for the charge pipe setup, turbos, WG and hot side. Want to keep the 2.5" cat-back, and will end up tuning myself, along with adding injectors down the line. Start off with 6-8psi and work up from there...

Keep it to PMs if you'd like ( :lock: )

Ktlplxm
12-16-2009, 01:51 PM
Before you get rid of yours, don't forget what we spoke about : )

ulakovic22
12-16-2009, 02:15 PM
for exactly what parts?

couple of disclaimers.

Does it have to hang down below the frame for clearance? $5000 for all the piping and I supply IC, turbos, WG and BOV isn't a bad deal. I'm assuming all stainless? Only thing that concerns me is hanging low since I'm wanting to lower my G8 and your comment of not being able to turn lock to lock. Can that be fixed on a subsequent kit?

parish8
12-16-2009, 08:01 PM
Give me about a month to sell my Lightning, and I'm down. I'd go for the charge pipe setup, turbos, WG and hot side. Want to keep the 2.5" cat-back, and will end up tuning myself, along with adding injectors down the line. Start off with 6-8psi and work up from there...

Keep it to PMs if you'd like ( :lock: )

on my car 5psi was at high as i wanted to go without injectors or meth.

i am not sure how i would make the "down pipes" without having the exhaust to tie it to. the adapters(turbo to stock cat back) i had before i did exhaust had the wg tie in very close to the turbo and it forced the wg's to hang down even lower than the turbos. i really like the new exhaust/wg set up and it gained a ton of power with it compared to what i had before. you can scan thru the pics here and see what i had to start with and how it ended up after the new exhaust and wg set up. >> http://neufamily.org/images/g8gallery/

parish8
12-16-2009, 08:16 PM
Does it have to hang down below the frame for clearance? $5000 for all the piping and I supply IC, turbos, WG and BOV isn't a bad deal. I'm assuming all stainless? Only thing that concerns me is hanging low since I'm wanting to lower my G8 and your comment of not being able to turn lock to lock. Can that be fixed on a subsequent kit?

the 60mm t4's are pretty large. i think we could go with smaller turbos and keep it completely tucked but it may be lacking a little if you ever wanted to push it over 1000rwhp:). the two 60's are "conservatively" rated at 1300hp.

pipe is all stianless. you can check out the link at the bottom with my build.

the drivers charge pipe can be higher and clear the tire but the factory air filter mount would need to be bent out of the way.

i would not put the t4's that i have on a lowered car. best bet would be a pair of smaller turbos, keep it tucked. then lower it as much as you want.

MaxPower
12-17-2009, 08:02 AM
on my car 5psi was at high as i wanted to go without injectors or meth.

i am not sure how i would make the "down pipes" without having the exhaust to tie it to. the adapters(turbo to stock cat back) i had before i did exhaust had the wg tie in very close to the turbo and it forced the wg's to hang down even lower than the turbos. i really like the new exhaust/wg set up and it gained a ton of power with it compared to what i had before. you can scan thru the pics here and see what i had to start with and how it ended up after the new exhaust and wg set up. >> http://neufamily.org/images/g8gallery/

I'm guessing I could have the "stock" exhaust cut just past the point where the wastegate ties into it....and have you create everything minus that small section. I'm looking for a slightly smaller turbo setup (16g maybe?) - something that is readily available, and from someone's setup that's going bigger (SRT forums, etc?)...

This is the exhaust I'll be tying it into:

http://i590.photobucket.com/albums/ss343/goingsolo2/G8/01.jpg

I'm a supercharger guru, and it's been a while since I've been in the turbo business (had an old '95 Eclipse GST). So turbo sizing is not my forte'.

parish8
12-17-2009, 02:43 PM
I'm guessing I could have the "stock" exhaust cut just past the point where the wastegate ties into it....and have you create everything minus that small section. I'm looking for a slightly smaller turbo setup (16g maybe?) - something that is readily available, and from someone's setup that's going bigger (SRT forums, etc?)...

This is the exhaust I'll be tying it into:

I'm a supercharger guru, and it's been a while since I've been in the turbo business (had an old '95 Eclipse GST). So turbo sizing is not my forte'.

i can make a kit around any turbos you want. with a pair of small turbos i would be able to keep things tucked. from what i am hearing i could make the first 2' or so of the exhaust. get the wg's tied in and then you would figure out how to get it tied in to the rest of the exhaust. that seems like a good way to do it.

i just looked up the flow of a 16g and a pair of them might work for very low boost but thats it. pushing toward the edge of the map ~450rwhp but you push right off the side of the map after that. i dont think i would build a kit around that turbo.

on the flip side a pair of 60's like i have might be more than most people need. i think a pair of t3's that are good for 50lbs of air each would be a good turbo to build a kit around.

parish8
12-17-2009, 03:58 PM
i am going to put a price together for the adapters from the manifolds to the turbos and then for the first 2' of exhaust with the wg's all tied in. then the car owner can get whatever exhaust they have tied in. that will shave a ton of money off the set up.

this would take care of several issues. it would get rid of the quick bends i had in my first set up and it would get the wg's tied in back away from the turbos. it would also keep the wg's tucked up better.

is there any reason to have a set up that is good for 1000rwhp like have. if i got set up to make 700rwhp everything would fit better. the bigger turbos will be more efficient at almost all power levels but at the expence of a little more lag and the hanging down below the frame.

Posidon42
12-17-2009, 06:08 PM
I am in Omaha too. You need to come over and help me with my maggie install :) Very nice work.

Maybe we should get a dyno tune day in the Spring.

MaxPower
12-18-2009, 04:49 AM
i can make a kit around any turbos you want. with a pair of small turbos i would be able to keep things tucked. from what i am hearing i could make the first 2' or so of the exhaust. get the wg's tied in and then you would figure out how to get it tied in to the rest of the exhaust. that seems like a good way to do it.

i just looked up the flow of a 16g and a pair of them might work for very low boost but thats it. pushing toward the edge of the map ~450rwhp but you push right off the side of the map after that. i dont think i would build a kit around that turbo.

on the flip side a pair of 60's like i have might be more than most people need. i think a pair of t3's that are good for 50lbs of air each would be a good turbo to build a kit around.

Good info. I'm looking to keep the build to under $4-5k total (excluding injectors and tuning). Was trying to think of some readily-available turbos that could be found on the relative "cheap".

i am going to put a price together for the adapters from the manifolds to the turbos and then for the first 2' of exhaust with the wg's all tied in. then the car owner can get whatever exhaust they have tied in. that will shave a ton of money off the set up.

this would take care of several issues. it would get rid of the quick bends i had in my first set up and it would get the wg's tied in back away from the turbos. it would also keep the wg's tucked up better.

is there any reason to have a set up that is good for 1000rwhp like have. if i got set up to make 700rwhp everything would fit better. the bigger turbos will be more efficient at almost all power levels but at the expence of a little more lag and the hanging down below the frame.

I like the idea of keeping it as tucked as possible. I know a lot of folks, like myself and you as well, drive the car more than just to-from the track. I would be very happy with 450-500WHP for the street, and throw in a mix of 110 and a few more psi for the track.

Keep us posted for sure.

lsxfanatic
12-18-2009, 07:05 AM
I think that is the sweet spot for a basic kit. 550rwhp with instant boost and daily driver friendly.

I would look at an internal wastegate design to simplify things greatly.

parish8
12-18-2009, 10:23 AM
I think that is the sweet spot for a basic kit. 550rwhp with instant boost and daily driver friendly.

I would look at an internal wastegate design to simplify things greatly.

my experience with turbos is only t4's from 58mm to 88mm.

is there a t3 turbo with internal gate and ~50lb's of airflow?

SpeedRacerX
12-19-2009, 06:13 PM
I finally went through all the pictures - very detailed and impressive.

Couple of novice questions:

1. Is there any way to keep the cats or do they have to go because of space or some other technnical reason besides restriction?
2. Can money be saved with a single turbo setup or would it not yield enough power? I think the old Grand Nationals were singles......

Thx.

parish8
12-19-2009, 10:54 PM
to keep the cats you could go with an sts set up where the turbos are in the very back. there isn't much room for them other than where the cats are or at the very back. i dont like the idea of keeping the cats with turbos. i tend to tune on the rich side to keep things safe and going rich will hurt the cats.

yes a single would perform fine. i think there is room for one too in the air filter area. if i were to try and set up a single i would build one header for the drivers side with a feed thru from the passenger side.

the ideal budget turbo would probably be a mp76. should be good for over 600rwhp. hell we ran a mp70 up to 600rwhp on a 5.3.

would there be more interested in a front mount single at a lower price? the twin kit would support 1000+rwhp. a single would support ~600rwhp. no idea on the price but i would guess still over $7k

GeorgeInNePa
12-19-2009, 11:41 PM
Something like this?

http://www.aseturbo.com/html/ve_single_turbo_kits.html

Would it have a lot of lag? I've heard the singles are slower to spool over the twins. Then again, I have no experience with either...

parish8
12-20-2009, 08:22 AM
in my experience lag has more to do with max hp ability.even with very large turbos once you add in other mods like good exhaust and a converter lag is no longer an issue.

that kit looks interesting. too bad they dont have more pics. that is around $7k for the smaller kit and then there is shipping. i dont see any fuel system parts, bov or tuning stuff.

parish8
12-25-2009, 10:03 AM
just looking to price this things in diferent ways to see if there is any intrest.

if i was to build the adapters from the manifolds to the turbos, then the 1st 2' of the exhaust with the wg's tied in back a ways from the turbos, then add in both charge pipes to the intercooler and the charge pipe from the intercooler to the tb. i come up with a price of $4600.

this would include 2 precision turbos. from a ~50mm t3(tucked nicely, 900fwhp) up to a 60mm or larger t4(hang down about 1" below frame, 1200fwhp).
also include the first 2' of exhaust in 2.5" or 3" with the wg tied and in tucked nicely. see pic below.
also include both lower charge pipes with all silicone and tbolts. also the top charge pipe with silicone and tbolts.

it would not include the wg's but the flanges would be there, ready to bolt in. it would not include air filters or ducting. no oil system stuff, no intercooler, no tuning or fuel system stuff.

i could add in a pair of tial 38's for about $450. this is all stainless parts. brand name stuff. i got huge gains with exhaust and moving the wg tie in back from the turbo so that is why i am pricing it this way.

http://neufamily.org/images/g8gallery/images/g8%20170.jpg

Ktlplxm
12-26-2009, 09:54 AM
Looks good, and a very reasonable price

parish8
12-26-2009, 11:40 AM
Looks good, and a very reasonable.

i thought of one other thing. when i build the manifold to turbo adapters i will bring the wg pipe down and put a bend on it so the wg could be mounted right to it and dump strait down.

the options would be stick a wg on there and be done, let it dump. or extend it back a little ways, get a flex joint in there and tie it into the exhaust much like above but the flex joint would be down in that strait section right before the wg.

Devilish34
12-26-2009, 11:48 AM
need a kit for the LT guys

parish8
12-26-2009, 12:53 PM
need a kit for the LT guys

as in headers? you dont want to run LT headers. best bet would be to recoup some of your money by selling the headers.

SpeedRacerX
12-26-2009, 02:07 PM
just looking to price this things in diferent ways to see if there is any intrest.

if i was to build the adapters from the manifolds to the turbos, then the 1st 2' of the exhaust with the wg's tied in back a ways from the turbos, then add in both charge pipes to the intercooler and the charge pipe from the intercooler to the tb. i come up with a price of $4600.

this would include 2 precision turbos. from a ~50mm t3(tucked nicely, 900fwhp) up to a 60mm or larger t4(hang down about 1" below frame, 1200fwhp).
also include the first 2' of exhaust in 2.5" or 3" with the wg tied and in tucked nicely. see pic below.
also include both lower charge pipes with all silicone and tbolts. also the top charge pipe with silicone and tbolts.

it would not include the wg's but the flanges would be there, ready to bolt in. it would not include air filters or ducting. no oil system stuff, no intercooler, no tuning or fuel system stuff.

i could add in a pair of tial 38's for about $450. this is all stainless parts. brand name stuff. i got huge gains with exhaust and moving the wg tie in back from the turbo so that is why i am pricing it this way.

This is really great stuff. Could you price up a single turbo setup option like that one that could sit somehwere up where the factory air box is/was? And how much safe and hassle free rwhp can the single make? Can the stock fuel system handle it?

parish8
12-26-2009, 02:22 PM
someone jump in and correct me if i am wrong but i think stock injectors are good to low 400's rwhp. stock fuel pump is good to lower 500's rwhp.

turbos and hasle free hp should not be in the same sentence. turbos are always more work, more money and more messing around then lets say magna charger. i am not afraid to steer someone away from a turbo if they seem worried about money or some extra work. the magna charger set up is truely a bolt on and enjoy it kind of deal. at least till you start wanting more power.

i dont know where to start on priceing a front mount kit. i would almost have to build one and see how much time it takes. right off the bat you would save $700+ by buying just one turbo. another $230 for just one wg but with a single you might want to go with a larger unit so not the full $230. no oil pump. one air filter....

but now you would need a custom made header. thats a lot of work. the down pipe would be tricky and tieing it in to duel exhaust would be a little odd.

a single mp76 set up would be good for 600+rwhp with suporting mods.

one other benifit. kinda vain but with a top mount you actualy get to show off your turbo. open the hood of my car and you dont see anything.

parish8
12-26-2009, 06:19 PM
i just added up some numbers on a single set up. it does appear to be a good way to lower the costs some.

a single mp76 kit with a tial 44mm wg and tial 50mm bov. intercooler, all intercooler pipes and silicone, air filter, oil lines, 1 custom header, cross over, 3" down pipe. all together right around $5k.

no tuning or injectors. exhaust would only be ran to under the car and have to be tied in some how. wg would also not be tied in to anything, just dumped.

i think something like this could be finished up for around $1,500 more for a total of around $6500. have to figure on injectors, tuning and exhaust tie in.

everything would be stainless so no need for coatings. some down pipe wrap and a turbo blanket might be good investments. might even need a spark plug wire or 4 to clear the header.

Ktlplxm
12-27-2009, 06:45 AM

what "frame" is the 6062? Is that a T3 housing or a T4? I only ask because the 6062/6262/6765 are all supposedly built in the same housing.

Devilish34
12-27-2009, 06:57 AM
as in headers? you dont want to run LT headers. best bet would be to recoup some of your money by selling the headers.

Why?? I can guess but whats the down side

GeorgeInNePa
12-27-2009, 07:28 AM
Why?? I can guess but whats the down side

IIRC, headers transfer heat too quickly and they would be too long. The turbos should be closer to the engine, the exhaust gas velocity should be as high as possible.

Or something like that...

parish8
12-27-2009, 08:44 AM
IIRC, headers transfer heat too quickly and they would be too long. The turbos should be closer to the engine, the exhaust gas velocity should be as high as possible.

Or something like that...

yeah, all that stuff. the cast iron manifolds are also more durable.

Ktlplxm
12-27-2009, 08:50 AM
I wonder how the JBA Shorties would work. They flow better than the manifolds, bolt up the same, and are a good quality header. I worry about the low flow numbers. At some point they have to become a hindrance. With my luck, ill find it lol

parish8
12-27-2009, 08:58 AM
what "frame" is the 6062? Is that a T3 housing or a T4? I only ask because the 6062/6262/6765 are all supposedly built in the same housing.

mine are t4 with 3" vband out and e compresor covers

i think the one to try in a 60mm would be a vband in/vband out with the b cover. lots of power potential and tuck nice. i have never worked with a vband in, i bet that is nice. they also have that option in the 62mm.

parish8
12-27-2009, 09:02 AM
I wonder how the JBA Shorties would work. They flow better than the manifolds, bolt up the same, and are a good quality header. I worry about the low flow numbers. At some point they have to become a hindrance. With my luck, ill find it lol

the hole in the turbine is small. people make 2000hp with factory manifolds. cast iron is good stuff.

Ktlplxm
12-27-2009, 09:06 AM
Good to know. Thanks.

SpeedRacerX
12-27-2009, 09:08 AM
the hole in the turbine is small. people make 2000hp with factory manifolds. cast iron is good stuff.

But the factory cats have to go right?

Ktlplxm
12-27-2009, 09:13 AM
Yes, but cats are the bastard unholy union of the devil,hippies, and California, they should be destroyed at all costs

parish8
12-27-2009, 09:25 AM
But the factory cats have to go right?

cats have to go for the aps style set up. there are other ways to make good hp if you have to keep the cats. magnacharger or sts.

SpeedRacerX
12-27-2009, 09:37 AM
Yes, but cats are the bastard unholy union of the devil,hippies, and California, they should be destroyed at all costs

ROFL!!!

cats have to go for the aps style set up. there are other ways to make good hp if you have to keep the cats. magnacharger or sts.

Insert KTLPLXM's above quote about cats HERE when I think about STS. Not for me...

Maggie, Procharger, or Vortech...yes. Front mount turbos...YES.

Ktlplxm
12-27-2009, 10:17 AM
Glad I could help lol

Posidon42
12-29-2009, 08:20 PM
I was looking through the CTS-V forums at Ls1tech and found this post regarding adding individual accumulators to the turbos since they are mounted so low. Our car shares the same problem with a turbo system. Are these overkill or would it help anything?

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/12672509-post75.html
http://www.vettesandperformance.com/images/09ctsv/12.jpg

To explain the picture, the builder is making a twin turbo feed system for the stock supercharger. That aluminum pan thing is the intake for the turbos.

parish8
12-30-2009, 04:17 AM
wow, that is pretty cool.

i dont know about the acumulators. it can't hurt but there are lots of people running without them and no issues.

Ktlplxm
12-30-2009, 05:18 AM
I was looking through the CTS-V forums at Ls1tech and found this post regarding adding individual accumulators to the turbos since they are mounted so low. Our car shares the same problem with a turbo system. Are these overkill or would it help anything?

To explain the picture, the builder is making a twin turbo feed system for the stock supercharger. That aluminum pan thing is the intake for the turbos.

In theory it all works well, and in application it works well, but the tuning and safety in a system like that is "tedious". I know of a company making turbo kits for the CTS-V's but they are doing away with the Supercharger.

99-LS1-SS
12-30-2009, 05:19 AM

I couldn't imagine a car with 2000 horsepower!

MGM GT
12-30-2009, 07:36 AM

Did the shop ever finish that car? Never saw anything else about it after those pics were posted. Looks like a good waste of money to me.

I couldn't imagine a car with 2000 horsepower!

The funny thing is that guys that make that much power sort out the car well enough that its easier to drive then most 8-900hp cars. I've been in high hp turbo cars that are so linear and smooth that it doesn't feel as fast as it is.

GeorgeInNePa
12-30-2009, 01:43 PM
i just added up some numbers on a single set up. it does appear to be a good way to lower the costs some.

a single mp76 kit with a tial 44mm wg and tial 50mm bov. intercooler, all intercooler pipes and silicone, air filter, oil lines, 1 custom header, cross over, 3" down pipe. all together right around $5k.

no tuning or injectors. exhaust would only be ran to under the car and have to be tied in some how. wg would also not be tied in to anything, just dumped.

i think something like this could be finished up for around $1,500 more for a total of around $6500. have to figure on injectors, tuning and exhaust tie in.

everything would be stainless so no need for coatings. some down pipe wrap and a turbo blanket might be good investments. might even need a spark plug wire or 4 to clear the header.

Would the 600+ rwhp be with a turbo cam or the stock L76 setup?

parish8
12-30-2009, 02:04 PM
Would the 600+ rwhp be with a turbo cam or the stock L76 setup?

either way. just take more boost and better fuel with the stock cam.

turbos are kinda funny. you dont really need a bunch of mods to make the power if your not afraid to run more boost. with the stock cam it might take 12psi to get to 600rwhp. with an after market cam it might get there with 8psi.

i wouldn't go much over 10psi without valve springs.

GeorgeInNePa
12-30-2009, 02:16 PM
either way. just take more boost and better fuel with the stock cam.

turbos are kinda funny. you dont really need a bunch of mods to make the power if your not afraid to run more boost. with the stock cam it might take 12psi to get to 600rwhp. with an after market cam it might get there with 8psi.

i wouldn't go much over 10psi without valve springs.

I don't think the engine would run without valve springs...

"I keed, I keed." ;)

PM on the way...

parish8
12-30-2009, 02:45 PM
this is probably obvious but i will say it anyways.

when i say it is good for 600+ or 1000+rwhp. that doesn't mean it will make that much power by just bolting it on. that is just the limit of the turbo. there is a point where you can turn up the boost but it just wont make any more power or the boost wont go any higher. with a single mp76 turbo that point is going to hit somewhere above 600rwhp.

GeorgeInNePa
12-30-2009, 04:22 PM
That site I linked uses a "Garrett GT4502R dual ball bearing turbo" for their T1000 kit. they claim that it could make upwards of 550rkw. that's over 700hp. Is that a better turbo than the mp76?

parish8
12-30-2009, 04:26 PM
That site I linked uses a "Garrett GT4502R dual ball bearing turbo" for their T1000 kit. they claim that it could make upwards of 550rkw. that's over 700hp. Is that a better turbo than the mp76?

yes it is. probably cost twice as much at the mp76.

there are any number of good turbos that could be used and a ton of ways to option them out. i priced what i think is the best and largest budget turbo that would fit in there easy.

if someone was looking for more out of a single i would push toward something like a precision gts76. i am familur with the precision line and get decent deals on them.

who?me?
12-30-2009, 04:39 PM
build me something like this http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/pics-videos-buffet-149/641735-my-993rwhp-gt47-88-turbo-lightning-build.html might have to take my hood off but this is the kit that i want.

Ktlplxm
12-30-2009, 04:43 PM
yes it is. probably cost twice as much at the mp76.

there are any number of good turbos that could be used and a ton of ways to option them out. i priced what i think is the best and largest budget turbo that would fit in there easy.

if someone was looking for more out of a single i would push toward something like a precision gts76. i am familur with the precision line and get decent deals on them.

I agree. Its very hard to find a better hp/$ than the Precisions. PLus they are alot easier to identify and size than some of the others.

parish8
12-30-2009, 05:54 PM
build me something like this http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/pics-videos-buffet-149/641735-my-993rwhp-gt47-88-turbo-lightning-build.html might have to take my hood off but this is the kit that i want.

if your looking for that kind of power a nice set of twins like i have but maybe the next size up would get you in that range. a 1000rwhp set up is easy to build.