PDA

View Full Version : our cars are doomed

grandmacpubah
12-11-2009, 03:36 PM
They are going to start using salt brine on the streets in seattle. Our poor cars are doomed to be rust buckets. I need to get like 2000 explorer or ranger or something for a beater.

kyllekkc
12-11-2009, 03:39 PM
they dont salt the streets in texas, atleast not in my city

R.Penguin
12-11-2009, 03:46 PM
They are going to start using salt brine on the streets in seattle. Our poor cars are doomed to be rust buckets. I need to get like 2000 explorer or ranger or something for a beater.
Nonsense Macpube! Just do what I do. Every time I drive my exceedingly fast and lovely PSM I just crawl under it with a garden hose and wash down both bottom and top with clear, fresh Pacific NW tap water. :clap:

Just remember to wear a good set of foul weatheralls. :poke:

WickedMom
12-11-2009, 03:46 PM
My car will never see road salt... and hardly ever sees rain... and IS my DD

R.Penguin
12-11-2009, 03:48 PM
My car will never see road salt... and hardly ever sees rain... and IS my DD
Smart-ass woman! :p

It's been in the 20's F here for a week!:cold:

Chewy
12-11-2009, 03:51 PM
Mine sees it all winter. It's all about keeping it well protected and cleaning it. It snowed a couple of days ago here. I washed it tonight in a touchless with under carriage and dry. I put two coats of Adams MSW on it a month ago and that stuff is like a bullet proof layer.

It'll be fine if you use common sense and take care of it.

Chris

grandmacpubah
12-11-2009, 03:55 PM
I don't know wtf is going on out here. Between the unbelievably cold weather and now salt I think I'm in the midwest.

Good part is we're back to the 50's next week...

R.Penguin
12-11-2009, 03:58 PM
I don't know wtf is going on out here. Between the unbelievably cold weather and now salt I think I'm in the midwest.

Good part is we're back to the 50's next week...
Help me doggonit! I've been frozen under my car in the driveway for 3 days.:windy:

Blackrider
12-11-2009, 05:49 PM
Out road's get salted about 2 or 3 times a year, but then the rain takes care of it. I just give it a good wash making sure to get under the car really good.

grandmacpubah
12-11-2009, 08:26 PM
ya I expect at the end of the day we'll probably only see it a couple times a year....just gotta make sure I keep it washed.

christiancoach
12-12-2009, 09:07 AM
The touchless car wash on Hwy 99 and 212th (I think 212th), across from Jack in the box, and Detroit Auto works has an indercarriage wash with the $12 wash. Probably good for getting salt off the undercarriage.

r33pwrd
12-12-2009, 09:14 AM
I figure they wont use salt until it snows and at that point my G8 will be in the Driveway! I would think that the residual salt would wash off the roads with the first rain?

TomPierce
12-13-2009, 03:01 AM
Check out your carwashes (if you can) before you use them.

Some car washes filter and reuse the water they collect (especially in these 'green' times) - that way they can claim to be 'recycling' and 'environmentally friendly'. But be careful - the filters they use are usually particulate filters to remove grit and sand to protect the pumps and nozzles.

These filters do not remove salt or other ice-treatment chemicals which means you are basically washing your car with salt water.

You might want to ask what kind of filters they use, or if the rinse water is fresh from the water mains.