PDA

View Full Version : DAM - Dollar Antenna Mod :)

SRG963
12-10-2009, 04:49 PM
I was tired of my long factory antenna, so I did this.

Please avoid this mod if you use Onstar or subscribe to a Satelite radio service as it may damage your unit.
I do not subscribe to either, so I personally feel safe with this mod on my car.

Pick up a small rubber gromlet and a M6 short stainless steel screw at Home Depot or Lowes.
All I could find were 1" long, so the gromlet takes up the extra space.

Paint the head flat black with a quality spray paint.

Unscrewed the factory antenna.

Push the gromlet onto screw and finger tighten the screw into the stock antenna hole.

Finished product will look similar to this:

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm227/srg963/PC100229.jpg

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm227/srg963/PC100230.jpg

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm227/srg963/PC100231.jpg

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm227/srg963/PC100232.jpg

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm227/srg963/PC100233.jpg

rmcrom
12-10-2009, 04:58 PM
DAM; that's a cheap mod!

TLS
12-10-2009, 06:48 PM
Yeah, that's great, but how do you get reception?

RapidG8GXP
12-10-2009, 07:00 PM
looks as appropriate as the washer mod. JMO

hazer396
12-10-2009, 08:05 PM
DAM ima do that

WickedMom
12-10-2009, 09:03 PM
I think it looks like someone stole your antenna...

bigtreepu
12-10-2009, 10:56 PM
reception doesn't change. at least I didn't notice when I unscrewed mine. Unscrew yours and test for yourself. I'd just recommend not letting it fill up and sit w/ water.

~Matt

JAM
12-11-2009, 06:05 AM
I'm gonna try it. If reception does not change, will then try a flat black metal cap that contacts the M6 screw and fits with enough resistance against the rubber bushing so that it will stay on at speed.

Thanks for sharing SRG963,

JAM

GTPprix
12-11-2009, 06:19 AM
That will probably cook the onstar transceiver board if you try to make a call just an FYI ;)

SRG963
12-11-2009, 06:25 AM
That will probably cook the onstar transceiver board if you try to make a call just an FYI ;)

added a caution statement, thanks for the heads up Chris

Chewy
12-11-2009, 06:29 AM
Now get a small black vinyl cap to put over the screw to clean it up a bit. A good hardware should sell them.

Chris

JAM
12-11-2009, 06:32 AM

Thanks, but don't know why - I'm a "push to talk" guy.

I figured using a metal cap that contacted the screw would not degrade reception, and did not realize that could cause damage. If that is the case, I'll try a plastic cap & see if reception is acceptable.

JAM

GTPprix
12-11-2009, 06:36 AM
Removing the antenna at all on a transceiver and then transmitting for any length of time can damage the unit especially on the 08-09 units that were 3W (as opposed to 09.5's that were .6W)

JAM
12-11-2009, 06:42 AM
Gotcha. I have an 09.5 so I'm leaning toward giving this a try. So there is no added risk with using a metal vs plastic cap?

Thanks,

JAM

GTPprix
12-11-2009, 06:54 AM
The risk is there either way, its NOT a good idea if you plan on using onstar personal calling OR if you signed up for monthly vehicle diagnostics. I mean its your car obviously but ask anyone into radio at all, not a good idea.

SRG963
12-11-2009, 07:55 AM
lol, added more warning. I don't want people to screw up their cars :)

GTPprix
12-11-2009, 08:16 AM
lol, added more warning. I don't want people to screw up their cars :)

Sorry man not trying to be a pain but I'm pretty big into Radio/RF Design :)

JAM
12-11-2009, 09:51 AM
The risk is there either way, its NOT a good idea if you plan on using onstar personal calling OR if you signed up for monthly vehicle diagnostics. I mean its your car obviously but ask anyone into radio at all, not a good idea.

I was going to remove OnStar until read somewhere that they would notify emergency services (whether or not you had a subscription) if you could press the button.

I do not use calling or diagnostics, vehicle was never registered with them after purchase, and I subsequently conclude, hopefully accurately, that there is minimal to no other risk with doing this with a metal or plastic cap.

Thanks for the feedback,

JAM

GTPprix
12-11-2009, 09:55 AM
I was going to remove OnStar until read somewhere that they would notify emergency services (whether or not you had a subscription) if you could press the button.

I do not use calling or diagnostics, vehicle was never registered with them after purchase, and I subsequently conclude that there is minimal to no other risk with doing this with a metal or plastic cap.

Thanks for the feedback,

JAM

And again pressing that button is a transmission that engages the unit in which case it will more than likely cook the box. So it just wont work the one time you actually need it, and even if it doesnt cook the finals in the box how much reception do you think you'll get with no antenna and a .6W transmitter? :)

Also lest we forget the unit is ALWAYS trying to establish coms with the towers so i some way its always transmitting and without reception its more than likely commanding full power to hit the towers. If you do this mod, unplug the onstar module .

r33pwrd
12-11-2009, 10:17 AM
I'm pretty big into Radio/RF Design :)

Is this what you do for a living?

todds87ss
12-11-2009, 10:37 AM
If you do this mod, unplug the onstar module .

This is the warning on the top of the box. Thanks, Chris.

Is this just an appearance mod, or is there there another benefit?

GTPprix
12-11-2009, 11:26 AM
Is this what you do for a living?

Not exactly no, but it plays in to some of the things I do. I've been licensed by the FCC in some form since I was 15 :)

SRG963
12-11-2009, 11:30 AM
Sorry man not trying to be a pain but I'm pretty big into Radio/RF Design :)

Thanks for the input, no pain at all:)

This is the warning on the top of the box. Thanks, Chris.

Is this just an appearance mod, or is there there another benefit?

Just an appearance mod which might weaken the radio signal somewhat.

rmcrom
12-11-2009, 02:14 PM
How does removing the AM/FM antenna burn up the on-star box?

Panzer Leader
12-11-2009, 03:11 PM
The antenna does not bother me. There are some things that are better left undone.

JAM
12-11-2009, 04:08 PM
It's tooo long for me. On some other cars I've owned I've swapped the long antenna with a stubby from a police radio, but my stubbys do not fit the G8.

JAM

GTPprix
12-11-2009, 08:33 PM
How does removing the AM/FM antenna burn up the on-star box?

Thats not the AM/FM antenna its the onstar/XM antenna. The Onstar portion is the whip antenna the XM is actually in the base. The AM/FM are on the rear glass.

TLS
12-12-2009, 04:43 AM
The AM/FM are on the rear glass.

Really??? Did not know that.

JAM
12-12-2009, 06:02 AM
Thats not the AM/FM antenna its the onstar/XM antenna. The Onstar portion is the whip antenna the XM is actually in the base. The AM/FM are on the rear glass.

I did not know that, and that solves this completely for me.

Thanks again,

JAM

MoonPie
12-12-2009, 06:02 AM
I've had my whip antenna unscrewed since day one, that was May 26th 2009. I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary. I do, however, have a sharkfin antenna in transit.

rmcrom
12-12-2009, 09:14 AM
Are you sure the whip isn't the am/fm. Everyone in the sharkfin anntena replacement says g8's do not have the am/fm in rear glass like camaros do and that the whip on top is the am/fm.

GTPprix
12-12-2009, 09:35 AM
Are you sure the whip isn't the am/fm. Everyone in the sharkfin anntena replacement says g8's do not have the am/fm in rear glass like camaros do and that the whip on top is the am/fm.

You know the AM/FM I'm NOT 100% sure on I thought I saw it on the glass last time I was back there, I do know for sure that the roof antenna is XM/OS it MAY be a shared style with AM/FM. I guess I'll just order one and take it apart from the way it looks electrically the VCIM uses the whip section and XM uses the base area.

FWIW This is what they call the unit on the roof in the service manual: "Cellular and Digital Radio Antenna (U2K/UE1)

On the outside rear center of the roof panel"

GTPprix
12-14-2009, 07:11 AM
See post #36, DAMN GM and their wacky parts catalogs/service manuals!

WickedMom
12-14-2009, 07:41 AM
You sir, are AWESOME!
on that other retarded board, they are saying otherwise... :)

GTPprix
12-14-2009, 07:51 AM
You sir, are AWESOME!
on that other retarded board, they are saying otherwise... :)

Eh it happens :) My only question would be longevity of the box/antenna running 3W through an antenna designed to dissipate .6W but I seriously doubt it's an issue and it DOES look better!

GTPprix
12-14-2009, 08:12 AM
Ok this isnt necessarily a surprise but heres the scoop, I just triple checked AGAIN (my car this time) the service manual and parts catalogs are both wrong. The diversity module that is called out ISNT there the Antenna is indeed a shared system the whip is for both the VCIM and Radio. With the antenna on I had 100% VCIM signal and 126DB at the radio, with it removed its 67-70% VCIM and about 65DB on the radio side.

I mean good lord why is it in the manual?!

Radio Antenna Diversity Module Replacement
Removal Procedure

•Turn the infotainment system OFF.
•Remove the left hand side rear quarter upper trim panel. Refer to Rear Quarter Upper Trim Panel Replacement .
•Disconnect the rear glass electrical connector (1).
•Disconnect the diversity antenna amplifier module connector (4).
•Remove the diversity antenna module to upper body bolt (2).
•Remove the diversity antenna module (3) from the rear upper quarter panel.
Installation Procedure

•Install the diversity antenna module (3) to the rear upper quarter.
Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in the Preface section.

•Install the diversity antenna module to rear upper quarter panel retaining bolt (2).
Tighten
Tighten the bolt to 10 N·m (89 lb in).

•Connect the diversity antenna amplifier module connector (4).
•Connect the rear glass electrical connector (1).
•Install the left hand side rear quarter upper trim panel. Refer to Rear Quarter Upper Trim Panel Replacement .
•If re-programming is required. Refer to Control Module References .