PDA

View Full Version : VMS TCM Tune, HPTuners, and TCM TSB

g8_795
10-14-2008, 03:07 PM
OK,
So I love my VMS ECM/TCM tune but the engineer in me wants to really mess with shit. If it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features... Unfortunately I can't use HP Tuners with my VMS tune, but I do have a stock ECM to mess with. One problem is that I believe the VMS TCM tune will not allow me to read/write to the ECM so I have to go back to the stock TCM.

So I have a question. If I bring the car with my stock ECM in the vehicle to get the TCM TSB update, will the dealer be able to flash the TCM? Has anybody done this? Did the dealer flip out?

Any insight would be great. I wish I could keep my VMS TCM tune, but I can't get them to unlock it for me.

My HPTuner software shows up Thursday. I still have to get the WB O2 sensors.

Thanks,
-Robert

GeorgeInNePa
10-14-2008, 03:56 PM
The TCM tune is dealer over-writable.

GTPprix
10-14-2008, 05:07 PM
The Dealer can overwrite the TCM but its not readable, not sure why you would want to mess with a good thing though, you have an incredible trap speed its obviously working LOL

MtbDoc
10-14-2008, 05:14 PM
Chris, this is my question about the 'mail order tune' approach as well. Without any tweaking being done, how does one really optimize parameters? Or, for example: start w/ ARH exhaust, rotofab, tune; later want to add a cam that you haven't worked with...then what?

You are clearly doing some good stuff w/ these cars, and I appreciated what I saw and heard from you over on the GTO forums. It is just the 'down the road' aspect that I am a bit uncertain of. As I have said, I truly appreciate your intellectual property rights, but the practicality is a concern.

Maybe I just need to let them 'ole INTENSE people blow up...I mean tune...my G8!!! Get me one of them 160* thermostats...or heck, even lower...in fact, why not just get rid of that pesky thing anyway??? [/sarcasm] I really enjoyed the rehash of experiences w/ GP "tunes" that were linked. That certainly is enough of a warning.

g8_795
10-14-2008, 05:18 PM
The Dealer can overwrite the TCM but its not readable, not sure why you would want to mess with a good thing though, you have an incredible trap speed its obviously working LOL

I want to keep the VMS tune (I am keeping the VMS ECM tune on one of my ECM's), but also want to experiment on my own. I can't do that with the VMS TCM tune because the software will choke when it can't read the TCM even if I only want to read/write the ECM. I wish I could tune the extra ECM and keep the VMS TCM tune, but it just won't work without a VMS blessing......

g8_795
10-14-2008, 05:21 PM
Chris, this is my question about the 'mail order tune' approach as well. Without any tweaking being done, how does one really optimize parameters? Or, for example: start w/ ARH exhaust, rotofab, tune; later want to add a cam that you haven't worked with...then what?

You are clearly doing some good stuff w/ these cars, and I appreciated what I saw and heard from you over on the GTO forums. It is just the 'down the road' aspect that I am a bit uncertain of. As I have said, I truly appreciate your intellectual property rights, but the practicality is a concern.

Maybe I just need to let them 'ole INTENSE people blow up...I mean tune...my G8!!! Get me one of them 160* thermostats...or heck, even lower...in fact, why not just get rid of that pesky thing anyway??? [/sarcasm] I really enjoyed the rehash of experiences w/ GP "tunes" that were linked. That certainly is enough of a warning.

I agree 100%. I very much respect the IP they have put in. I would sign an NDA or whatever to allow myself to tweak the parameters. That would add a lot of value to the product.

GTPprix
10-14-2008, 05:22 PM

Easy, the same way everyone else is dominating the tracks with our tune; the FXP system. The FXP is used to scan/log and email results back to us for fine tuning, this way you get the benefits of the most powerful software available without any of the hassle. Another thing we recommend all of our customers have is the Dashhawk, we developed it with MSD for this purpose, the logs are invaluable.

So far the FXP has helped fine tune alot of cars, even remotely on the dyno or the street with logging :)

Even IF we unlocked it you still wouldnt be able to edit it, HPT doesnt support ANY of our stuff.

g8_795
10-14-2008, 05:34 PM
Easy, the same way everyone else is dominating the tracks with our tune; the FXP system. The FXP is used to scan/log and email results back to us for fine tuning, this way you get the benefits of the most powerful software available without any of the hassle. Another thing we recommend all of our customers have is the Dashhawk, we developed it with MSD for this purpose, the logs are invaluable.

So far the FXP has helped fine tune alot of cars, even remotely on the dyno or the street with logging :)

Even IF we unlocked it you still wouldnt be able to edit it, HPT doesnt support ANY of our stuff.

If you unlocked the TCM, I would not be able to read/write the ECM?

Are you 100% sure about that?

I am not trying to knock your product at ALL. Like I said, I am completely satisfied with the VMS tune that I have, but I want to tweak my own car, and not wait 2 weeks for an FXP every time I want to make a simple change, or add LT's or a cam one weekend. If I got a crazy idea to through a cam in the car one weekend, i wouldn't be able to drive it for weeks while I wait for the FXP system to show up.

You guys are always having to battle someone on these forums. LOL. :huh:
-Robert

GTPprix
10-14-2008, 05:37 PM
You would but it would error HPT out as it would have no idea what to do with our TCM OS, trust me I deal with this allll day :) As far as the FXP stuff goes, yes its a bit of a headache with scheduling but thats all it is, scheduling :) Most would think having the best is worth the little bit of wait, buuuut thats just me :D

MtbDoc
10-14-2008, 05:43 PM
Thanks, that makes sense. I bought a Dashhawk so that isn't a problem. Is there a cost for each mod down the road?

Finally, any chance that you will work up a tune for any of the new blower setups? Again, I am not at all certain about what direction to take the car, but it would be nice to know that you could accommodate serious changes.

Given the great results you are seeing w/ an intake and tune, that is the obvious 'no brainer'...

...but what if I really want a 160* thermostat?!?!?!?!?!?

Sorry...but I just can't let that bit of idiocy go...

g8_795
10-14-2008, 05:44 PM
You would but it would error HPT out as it would have no idea what to do with our TCM OS, trust me I deal with this allll day :) As far as the FXP stuff goes, yes its a bit of a headache with scheduling but thats all it is, scheduling :) Most would think having the best is worth the little bit of wait, buuuut thats just me :D

To many beers tonight.....

IMO the best would be having the pros tune my car (you guys) with the ability to tweak something if need be while protecting your IP with out the wait. Maybe asking to much?

Sounds like sort of a useless argument on my part. All I want is to tune my EXTRA ECM, while keeping the best TCM tune around in my car. But I have to erase this good product to satisfy my tweaking needs.
-Robert

ProStreet
10-15-2008, 04:21 AM
This is the reason I will never have a mail order tune. I have HPTuners and just tune it the way I like it!

wreckwriter
10-15-2008, 04:30 AM
Chris you guys should get about 40 more cables. I know they're pricey but it would eliminate this particular issue.

GRRRR8
10-15-2008, 04:40 AM
With the GXPs and Camaros coming I assume they will up the inventory.

GTPprix
10-15-2008, 05:21 AM
This is the reason I will never have a mail order tune. I have HPTuners and just tune it the way I like it!

Thats great when they have the parameters you need to do the vehicle correctly, not really the case in my opinion with the 6 Speed auto. Also the FXP is far from a mail order tune, hence why our customers out trap/ET 99% of those with dyno tunes and the same mods.

Chris you guys should get about 40 more cables. I know they're pricey but it would eliminate this particular issue.

These cables cost US just OVER $1000 a pop, we add them as we can but it takes ALOT of tunes to recoup ONE cable.

G8V8
10-15-2008, 06:48 AM
Chris, are these cables made to your specifications and documentation or are they an assembly you just buy from someone? I ask because I work for an electronics assembly and engineering company.
Ed

VectorMotorsports
10-15-2008, 06:49 AM
They are made to our specifications, there is no "off the shelf" device for stuff like this.

Chewy
10-15-2008, 08:06 AM
Hell that's only 40 grand! JUST DO IT! :okay:

I think I can wait it out... It may be tough but I can do it... I will probably wait till after Christmas as money will be tight... I need to buy a ring real soon too...:wub: :dodge:

G8V8
10-15-2008, 08:25 AM
They are made to our specifications, there is no "off the shelf" device for stuff like this.

That is what i suspected/expected. If you own the design and would like a quote to assemble units, let me know. Not saying we can beat the price but who knows? We can do a formal NDA if you want.
Check PM.

Tate
10-15-2008, 04:32 PM
How long are the cables total (from where it hooks up to the computer to where it hooks to the vehicle)?
Tate

Torqued
10-17-2008, 07:44 AM
When you fine tune via the FXP logging is it only for WOT performance or can you also tune for mpg?

How much of a power gain have you seen between a tweaked FXP tune and the base VMS tune?

Thanks