PDA

View Full Version : LSA into a GT

bradshow
12-05-2009, 10:49 AM
Other than the 14k price tag, what would it take to put the LSA crate engine into a GT? Has anyone done this yet?

Looking into my options because a supercharger runs around 6k and TT's run around 7k, then if I want to push them I need a cam and DOD delete which is around 3k.

I'm not much of a numbers guy but 14k for a LSA and then the resae value of a L76 with under 5k miles should net 5k at least. Thats an initial investment of 9k which is pretty much the same investment as either stated above but with a more solid foundation.

Just looking for ideas, opinions, etc.

Horn09
12-05-2009, 11:40 AM
Unless you find someone not too bright, you're not going to get $5K for your engine. What are your goals? Knowing that...suggestions can be made.

bradshow
12-05-2009, 12:24 PM
Goals:

Power and longevity. I bought this car to keep for a while. Being that GM is finding any and every reason to void warranties these days, it should be safe to say that spending a few extra bucks on reliablity is a wise choice. Sure I could drop 6k on a 1900 and slap it on but how far can you take the stock L76, what is the average PSI of boost 6lbs? What are some of the more extreme guys running? 12-15lbs?

Say I wanted a 600rwhp G8, I would need for sure a blower or turbo, cam and upgraded fuel system I would assume. I'm just looking at cost fo all this verses just dropping in a LSA, maybe even swapping in a M6.

Plus how many jaws would drop seeing that engine in a G8 anyways....lol

I suppose I should also remind those that I am not a newbie to high horsepower vehicles. My previous truck was a 03 HD F-150 running 15psi on a stock block. I was pushing it to the extreme limit on the stock fuel system and stock internals. I wanted a more reliable vehicle which is why I got rid ofthe truck and since I'm a Chevy fan at heart anyways, the G8 was a perfect choice.

Radrace19
12-06-2009, 06:56 AM
You will have to buy a new front accessory drive, and find some way to either piggyback the CTS-V PCM into the G8 or find a way to control the various parts on that engine that are not the same as the G8.

The crank is an 8 bolt instead of 6 like the G8 but that isn't an issure like it is on the LS9.

That sounds like the hard parts.

-Greg (This is Greg@Paceperformance :) )

bradshow
12-08-2009, 08:30 AM
wow, i thought this was a discussion forum, has no one ever given thought to doing this conversion?

Would the stock A6 bolt up the the LSA?

Adding a superchager to the L76 adds how many more sensors? the only thing that really needs to be tweaked is the MAF and I would assume the knock sensor correct?

I'm looking at some serious options here. I am fortunate enough to have some deep pocketed cousins that work in the automotive industry that are considering a full sponsorship for when I get to Hawaii.

99-LS1-SS
12-08-2009, 08:51 AM
wow, i thought this was a discussion forum, has no one ever given thought to doing this conversion?

Adding a superchager to the L76 adds how many more sensors? the only thing that really needs to be tweaked is the MAF and I would assume the knock sensor correct?

I'm looking at some serious options here. I am fortunate enough to have some deep pocketed cousins that work in the automotive industry that are considering a full sponsorship for when I get to Hawaii.

Yes, it will bolt up.

Tjay74
12-08-2009, 01:41 PM
Might not live long but will bolt up. The cts-v uses the 6l90e instead of the 6l80e the g8 uses.

Also this will not exempt you from warranty issues, gm can and still will flag and or deny you powertrain warranty issues as since the g8 did not come with a factory supercharger the drivetrain has not been tested or certified for the power levels the lsa will provide.

As long as you are ok with that and able to find someone to do all of the custom work to get it to work then go for.

While this is a discussion forum, not everyone has $15,000+ laying around to throw at a possible motor swap when there are other proven options out there already.

MGM GT
12-08-2009, 02:04 PM

Where in Hawaii you going? They closed the track on Oahu years ago. I used to race at HRP back in the day and we used to get on the ferry and race on Maui and Kauai. Plenty of street racing all around though, lots of fast cars running around.

Chewy
12-08-2009, 02:11 PM
It won't cost you less than 20 to do this swap unless you do it all yourself. Labor rates for custom work is stupid $$$.

Chris

bradshow
12-08-2009, 05:46 PM
I guess I'm missing what custom work is involved, any shade tree mechanic can do a motor swap in thier driveway with hand tools and a cherry picker. What I'm mainly looking for was brushed on only briefly. The electronic portion. With the LSA you can get a GM harness with it as an option. How much different from a G8 is the corvette wiring harness? Where would I find out if no one knows. Just trying to get some wheels turning.

So far I've got that I would need a new front accesory drive
the stock A6 will bolt up so I'm assuming a stock M6 would too
Electronics, wiring harness

I should also ask for those running a 2300, how much boost are you running and what internal engine mods were done?

MIEngineer
12-10-2009, 07:44 PM
I considered it earlier in the year when shopping for a GT, but unless you want to be the first to do it in a G8, it would be wiser to just buy a CTS-V.

I thought I heard that the LSA and LS9 have a different bolt pattern on the block for the trans...

But really, I'd rather just buy a CTS-V than bother with a swap, or sell the GT and start with a V6 model to save $.

Tjay74
12-11-2009, 08:42 AM
Mie the bolt pattern is the same for the lsa, it uses the 6l90e transmission in the a6 model which is the same transmission as our 6l80e only beefed up some internally.

StockG8
12-11-2009, 08:52 AM
Back in the old days of regular OBDII specs, I would do it in a heartbeat. But with the CAN-BUS protocol. The hardest part is to get all the electrical to work together especially the ECU. Doesn't take much to do a engine swap at home with a cherry picker nor it requires major fab work. Again, it's the electrical side that's going to be the hardest.

p71
02-05-2010, 12:49 PM
Just go with the tvs... it is proven, costs less and will get you to where you want to be...
if you are going to hose levels you are going to need the same fuel system upgrades...

GeorgeInNePa
02-05-2010, 01:02 PM
Goals:

Power and longevity. I bought this car to keep for a while. Being that GM is finding any and every reason to void warranties these days, it should be safe to say that spending a few extra bucks on reliablity is a wise choice. Sure I could drop 6k on a 1900 and slap it on but how far can you take the stock L76, what is the average PSI of boost 6lbs? What are some of the more extreme guys running? 12-15lbs?

Say I wanted a 600rwhp G8, I would need for sure a blower or turbo, cam and upgraded fuel system I would assume. I'm just looking at cost fo all this verses just dropping in a LSA, maybe even swapping in a M6.

Plus how many jaws would drop seeing that engine in a G8 anyways....lol

I suppose I should also remind those that I am not a newbie to high horsepower vehicles. My previous truck was a 03 HD F-150 running 15psi on a stock block. I was pushing it to the extreme limit on the stock fuel system and stock internals. I wanted a more reliable vehicle which is why I got rid ofthe truck and since I'm a Chevy fan at heart anyways, the G8 was a perfect choice.

You could buy a 416 forged short block for under $6K from a "name", have your heads cleaned up for well under $1K, and buy a Maggie for under $7K.

That is the same $14K, but it will make a lot more power and live longer doing it.