PDA

View Full Version : multi disk converter lock up problems?

parish8
12-01-2009, 02:08 PM
i hear of some issues. can anyone tell me what the problem is and what people are doing to get around the problem?

i am getting ready to order a converter and would like the option to lock it up going down the track. does this feature work? is it just normal driving with the issues and what are they?

GRRRR8
12-01-2009, 02:41 PM
I have a Circle D triple disc and have no issues. Most have issues as most are clueless on how to really tune a trans on a hi HP application. Ask me how I know. :)

parish8
12-01-2009, 02:48 PM
what about down the highway. do you still lock it? any issues?

edmanet
12-01-2009, 03:00 PM
I have a Circle D triple disc and have no issues. Most have issues as most are clueless on how to really tune a trans on a hi HP application. Ask me how I know. :)

I wonder....

Most issues were with the Precision triple disc as far as I know.

GRRRR8
12-01-2009, 03:23 PM
what about down the highway. do you still lock it? any issues?

Drove all the way to Victoria (1.5 hours+) and it locks and stays locked with no surge. The trans tune is a whole lot better now.

Th efunny thing is I didnt even know I had a triple disc until others had issues and Chris @ Circle D informed me thats what he built me. :)

irnwkrkev
12-01-2009, 03:27 PM
Please enlighten us Charlie! My PI triple disc bounces at 60 to 80 and seems more noticeable now. I heard that hp was going to update the software to be able to tune the duty cycle. Are you saying that isn't necessary? I'm planning on a re-tune as soon as I install my exhaust.

parish8
12-01-2009, 03:31 PM
Drove all the way to Victoria (1.5 hours+) and it locks and stays locked with no surge. The trans tune is a whole lot better now.

Th efunny thing is I didnt even know I had a triple disc until others had issues and Chris @ Circle D informed me thats what he built me. :)

thats a good deal then. i will be getting a circle D just not sure on the 245 or 258. i plan on making 600+ rwhp before long.

Devilish34
12-01-2009, 03:38 PM
Why the triple disc? I talked to Fran about this and doesn't use them in the high HP Vettes they build
BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.77 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105

parish8
12-01-2009, 03:44 PM
Why the triple disc? I talked to Fran about this and doesn't use them in the high HP Vettes they build
BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.77 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105

it is nice to have the option of locking it up at wot. i would not lock up a single at wot at anything much over stock power.

and yes if your not going to lock it up at wot then the tripple disk is a waste.

GRRRR8
12-01-2009, 04:03 PM
Please enlighten us Charlie! My PI triple disc bounces at 60 to 80 and seems more noticeable now. I heard that hp was going to update the software to be able to tune the duty cycle. Are you saying that isn't necessary? I'm planning on a re-tune as soon as I install my exhaust.

You need to have your trans tune looked at carefully. I have found many issues with mine (with Patricks advice) and will know just how well it works as soon as it stops raining!

Patrick G
12-02-2009, 05:23 AM
Jim,

Personally, I think that locking up a converter at WOT adds more problems than it's worth. Look at all the really fast turbo LSX guys. None of them are locking up their converters at the track. In fact, many of them don't even have lockup converters at all. The problem I see with triple disc clutches are that they add a whole bunch of unnecessary rotating mass to your flywheel and this hurts 60' times and acceleration when the converter is not locked up. Add to the fact that they are very problematic to keep locked up with the current tuning solutions, I would steer clear of them and concentrate on running the lightest torque converter that has the greatest internal strength and holding capacity that you require. A 258mm converter will most likely be the better choice (higher holding capacity).