PDA

View Full Version : Headers for GXP

Dunlin1
11-27-2009, 11:50 AM
I am thinking of getting headers for my GXP. I think i have it narrowed down to either the AR headers or the SLP headers, but am open for anything with cats. I want something that adds HP but doesn't get to loud or add drone, any help greatly appreciated.

99-LS1-SS
11-27-2009, 12:05 PM
The GXP mufflers are going to be your issue as far as noise goes. If you want the stock appearance, then you'll need to find a set of GT mufflers and use those instead. The GXP mufflers with the ARH long tubes with cats is pretty loud.

AUGAH
11-30-2009, 08:41 AM
I run the stock mufflers with the ARH. I agree with the pretty loud, although I do not mind the increase in volume. Certainly no drone. At a normal cruising speed the increase is barely noticable, but when you give her a little throttle, she barks.

G8GXP4now
11-30-2009, 09:13 AM
The SLP headers will rub on the spark plug wire boot a bit.

MoonPie
11-30-2009, 11:44 AM
I drive my GXP on a daily basis, 40-50 miles a day round trip, I have the kooks 1 7/8" LT headers, custom catted x-pipe and flowmaster 40 series mufflers and love the sound, doesn't bother me at all. That may be due to my relative young age of 28, my Titties would say 8, but what does she know, and I love the sound, I mean there really isn't a better high than starting from a dead stop, going from zero to hero, and hearing that roar. Hell, I drove it around with just the headers and no mufflers and loved the hell out of that, wish I could have kept it to just headers and straight pipe all the way, I'm currently debating on finding something harder, maybe SLP or PYPES. I want the sound to shake my wife's titties everytime I start it up, like a friggin shockwave. I'll be honest with you, to me the LT's with aftermarket mufflers and catted x-pipe are NICE! But that's me, don't worry about making other people happy with the car because it's yours, do what you like, there's only a handful of things men have that are still manly and haven't been polluted by our modern effeminate society, and your car is one of them. As Titties says, my last car was sex on wheels, but the GXP is an orgasm on wheels...

BigV8
12-01-2009, 07:53 AM
I guess the question is do you plan on keeping the stock exhaust? The SLP will bolt up but the LT ARs will not unless you want the modify the exhaust. Check my sig to see what i have on. I would not want it any louder then this setup, but thats me.

fiveoh
12-01-2009, 11:04 AM
I drive my GXP on a daily basis, 40-50 miles a day round trip, I have the kooks 1 7/8" LT headers, custom catted x-pipe and flowmaster 40 series mufflers and love the sound, doesn't bother me at all. That may be due to my relative young age of 28, my Titties would say 8, but what does she know, and I love the sound, I mean there really isn't a better high than starting from a dead stop, going from zero to hero, and hearing that roar. Hell, I drove it around with just the headers and no mufflers and loved the hell out of that, wish I could have kept it to just headers and straight pipe all the way, I'm currently debating on finding something harder, maybe SLP or PYPES. I want the sound to shake my wife's titties everytime I start it up, like a friggin shockwave. I'll be honest with you, to me the LT's with aftermarket mufflers and catted x-pipe are NICE! But that's me, don't worry about making other people happy with the car because it's yours, do what you like, there's only a handful of things men have that are still manly and haven't been polluted by our modern effeminate society, and your car is one of them. As Titties says, my last car was sex on wheels, but the GXP is an orgasm on wheels...

Is this thread about titties or headers? :D

Xtnct8
12-01-2009, 12:56 PM
Im so confused... Did he just refer to his significant other as titties? I mean, seriously?!?

MoonPie
12-01-2009, 07:25 PM
Is this thread about titties or headers? :D

Mmmm, probably went a little off topic there, but I was talking about headers.

MoonPie
12-01-2009, 07:29 PM
Im so confused... Did he just refer to his significant other as titties? I mean, seriously?!?

:sleeping: ding, ding, ding, ding, ding...we have a winner! Tell him what he's won, Johnny!

TyG8GXP
12-04-2009, 03:43 PM
i drive my gxp on a daily basis, 40-50 miles a day round trip, i have the kooks 1 7/8" lt headers, custom catted x-pipe and flowmaster 40 series mufflers and love the sound, doesn't bother me at all. That may be due to my relative young age of 28, my titties would say 8, but what does she know, and i love the sound, i mean there really isn't a better high than starting from a dead stop, going from zero to hero, and hearing that roar. Hell, i drove it around with just the headers and no mufflers and loved the hell out of that, wish i could have kept it to just headers and straight pipe all the way, i'm currently debating on finding something harder, maybe slp or pypes. I want the sound to shake my wife's titties everytime i start it up, like a friggin shockwave. I'll be honest with you, to me the lt's with aftermarket mufflers and catted x-pipe are nice! But that's me, don't worry about making other people happy with the car because it's yours, do what you like, there's only a handful of things men have that are still manly and haven't been polluted by our modern effeminate society, and your car is one of them. as titties says, my last car was sex on wheels, but the gxp is an orgasm on wheels...
http://forum.grrrr8.net/images/smilies/ttiwwp.gif

:)

MoonPie
12-04-2009, 04:22 PM
If I showed pictures of that I'd lose all testicle having privileges. You see she "lets" me have my balls...

Pontiac Addict
12-19-2009, 12:25 AM
Seriously, if you want stainess headers for longevity and you want quality, I would go no further than Kooks 1 7/8 with cats. Wether or not you coat them is up to you, but havig had both coated and uncoated headers, I would spend the extra coin and purchase coated.

p71
02-05-2010, 01:50 PM
Kooks FTW...
ARH also FTW...

SLP FTL...

elilozano28
02-05-2010, 11:36 PM
i have kooks they look great and sound great but remember i have SLP Loudmouth, so its veryvery loud but it doesnt bother me, i do it to atract people

616 of 933
02-05-2010, 11:54 PM
if you want to get GT mufflers I will trade you.

99-LS1-SS
02-06-2010, 05:38 AM
What did you figure out?

MIEngineer
02-06-2010, 10:53 AM
I am considering Thorley headers myself...not really concerned with stainless vs. coated - my GXP will never seen snow/salt.

Also, I think it is a bit of a crock with Kooks that you have to buy their adapter to fit the stock exhaust connections with LTs. I like their product, but there is not a shot I will give them that much when there are others out there for less or equivalent to the LT price that will retain the ability to use stock exhaust.

sharkie
02-17-2010, 07:04 AM
I installed ARH 1 7/8 headers through the stock GXP mufflers. I wasn't quite pleased with the sound, so inserted a pair of Magnaflows where the original mid muffler was. It sounds great! Slight rumble on idle. Deep throaty V8 sound on acceleration. Quiet on the highway.

99-LS1-SS
02-17-2010, 07:09 AM
I installed ARH 1 7/8 headers through the stock GXP mufflers. I wasn't quite pleased with the sound, so inserted a pair of Magnaflows where the original mid muffler was. It sounds great! Slight rumble on idle. Deep throaty V8 sound on acceleration. Quiet on the highway.

Do you have any clips of that sound? I like the GT mufflers with the ARH headers but sometimes I wish it was a little louder, but not as loud as the sloppy sound the GXP mufflers had.

sharkie
02-17-2010, 08:12 AM
Idle/Rev . . .

http://s637.photobucket.com/albums/uu96/sharkie0002/?action=view&current=0827092005.flv

Take off Sound . . .

http://s637.photobucket.com/albums/uu96/sharkie0002/?action=view&current=0827092006.flv

99-LS1-SS
02-17-2010, 07:14 PM
Idle/Rev . . .

http://s637.photobucket.com/albums/uu96/sharkie0002/?action=view&current=0827092005.flv

Take off Sound . . .

http://s637.photobucket.com/albums/uu96/sharkie0002/?action=view&current=0827092006.flv

Can you give me part numbers or more information on the mufflers you put in the middle?

Thanks.

sharkie
02-18-2010, 07:23 AM
I used a pair of Magnaflow #10416. These are 4" round, 14" long 'straight-through' mufflers that act as resonators for the system. With the ARH Headers, these mufflers fit nicely on the GXP where the mid muffler was originally installed (just in front of the rear axle). You even get to keep the heat shield in place. The shop just cut out a section of the ARH pipes and welded these in.

99-LS1-SS
02-18-2010, 09:03 AM
Could you have used a longer muffler than the 14" if you wanted to?

sharkie
02-18-2010, 12:58 PM
I think this is the longest muffler that will fit. It's pretty tight under there.

99-LS1-SS
02-18-2010, 12:59 PM
Ok, thanks for the reply!