PDA

View Full Version : MAGNAFLOW street series

WARLOCK
11-23-2009, 06:46 AM
OK, this is about the Magnaflow street series cat-back I just finished installing about an hour ago. model 16887 I think is it.
Well first off I can sat that its a really easy bolt on it just sucks crawling under the car on ramps, wish i had a lift. no adj was needed it went right together and looks factory, which its clean if you like rolled tips... I dont, but whatever.
Sound. people are right this exhaust makes the car sound like it should have from the factory. its got a deep low tone with little grumbles on down shifts, but its very low key. coasting its silent, and idle is real quiet. Yet at highway speeds the drone when DOD kicks in is enough to be annoying.
performance.. I have no clue either need to the track or the dyno but i would say the 11hp magnaflow claims is optiimistic. however I can report my car lost about 20 pounds!

overall I give it a 5/10. why? well Im not exactly sure who this exhaust is for. It is a $900 retail cat back, and its suppose to be a quieter exhaust for those that just want a mellow system..
I get that but it still has drone when the dod is engaged so magnaflow, you failed IMHO.
I did not however pay retail for this system i picked it up second hand but if I would have I would be highly disappointed in it for that kind of money. The only thing I can say is I hope it sounds better with LT's, at which at this point Im considering running the DT tri-Y's without cats to this system just to see if it picks up the level some more with no cats. I will be shutting my DOD back off with this system.. hope that helps someone.

WhyteSS
11-23-2009, 09:24 AM
thanks for the review !!!

Monty
11-23-2009, 09:56 AM
I have the same exhaust and with the Superchips I turned off the AFM so no drone. I just installed the JBA shorty headers (for warranty sake) and it gives the exhaust more of a growl. So if you install the LT's you should get a deep throaty sound.

wnt2gofst
11-23-2009, 12:57 PM
look on youtube there is a video of guy with magna flow cat back and slp lt's. It sounds good, not as loud as kooks exhaust or arH exhuast but still real good sounding.

wnt2gofst
11-23-2009, 01:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQIPVJqeJ8k

here is video i was talking about.

stryker g8gt
11-23-2009, 05:01 PM
I have Kooks lt, no cats, NEP dod delete cam kit and the street series system.........I get tons of compliments on my sound......and all i have is a pretty quiet rumble inside......until I get on it then it sounds like a european supercar........ If I was to change anything I would want single tips about 3.5" wide.

WARLOCK
11-23-2009, 09:05 PM
I have Kooks lt, no cats, NEP dod delete cam kit and the street series system.........I get tons of compliments on my sound......and all i have is a pretty quiet rumble inside......until I get on it then it sounds like a european supercar........ If I was to change anything I would want single tips about 3.5" wide.

SEE thats what i was thinking about for tips was like a 3.5" round single tip intercooled maybe. AND how did you do the Kooks to the Magnaflow? did u buy the connector pipes from kooks, or did u just fab some from scratch to weld on to the magnaflow? a pic would be awesome so i can see how you did yours. sounds like what you did is what im looking for.

wnt2gofst, thanks for the link. i deff want a more out of this setup, but i have already got complements on it today.

ALSO. DID ANYONE else have issues with the Drive Shaft Tunnel Brace touching the pipes? mine does. doesnt rattle though it just concerns me

PaFromFL
11-23-2009, 09:24 PM
I have the same exhaust and with the Superchips I turned off the AFM so no drone...
Same here. The Superchips also converts the G8 from a family sedan to a performance vehicle.

I think the Street Series has right balance of V8 roar when accelerating and quiet rumble while cruising on interstates.

wnt2gofst
11-23-2009, 09:45 PM

What mufflers are you using? The kooks or oem. I am going w/ 1 7/8 headers catted and pypes mufflers. Should be all put on first weeked of dec. The pypes have the single tips for those wanting. or could always do like some others have and transplant diff tips...Oh and my wife hasnt gave the go ahead for a cam yet..:(

WARLOCK
11-25-2009, 07:04 PM
disengaged my DOD today. much better. no i can say i like the exhaust. could still be a little throatier at WOT. going to see if i can fix that.. The rolled tips are growing on me too. i can live with it.