PDA

View Full Version : 2nd dumb thing on GXP & GT

Oxygen
11-21-2009, 08:25 AM
Drove the GXP for 5 hours in bright Sunlight and the DIC display is about as useless as it gets.

Any way to change the background color to make it more readable?
or any thing else to help?

Oh!! #1 dumb thing is power seat controls. Otherwise GXP's & GT's are fantastic cars.

Blackdevil77
11-21-2009, 08:51 AM
I haven't had a problem at any point in the day seeing my DIC.

As for the power seats, only thing I DON'T like, is how the control to recline or incline the back is a knob and not powered, and is in an awkward spot.

Only thing I can really say that is DUMB, well at least for me that's been bugging me recently, is how you can't remove the headlamps without removing the bumper. Installing HID's or even just replacing bulbs is so much harder than it should be

Jackalope
11-21-2009, 08:58 AM
Haven't had a problem with the DIC in my car either. But yeah the seat recliner is dumb.

OmahaGTP
11-21-2009, 09:45 AM
Powered seat recliner and no auto-dimming mirror... '97 Grand Prix had them.

Not a deal breaker though. Just an odd step back.

zepcom
11-21-2009, 12:00 PM
To answer the OP's question, yes, GTPPrix (user on this board) does do OEM-quality DIC color changes.

Check them out here:

http://www.whiteautoandmedia.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=48&category_id=18&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=54

http://www.whiteautoandmedia.com/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/2008__G8_Instrum_491b092e8129a.jpg

GeoffA
11-21-2009, 12:41 PM
Yes, I agree with you on when the sun comes in from behind you or just the right way it does make the display hard to read.

Oxygen
11-21-2009, 03:24 PM
Yes! I would be interested in that DIC color change, anybody know if the
instrutment cluster has to be removed, has anybody done this?

Thanks

zepcom
11-22-2009, 08:43 AM
Yes! I would be interested in that DIC color change, anybody know if the
instrutment cluster has to be removed, has anybody done this?

Thanks

Did you read the link I provided? :spank:

He explains it on his site.

Yes, you send them your cluster and they take it apart and install the OEM counterpart color LCD's (and optionally custom needles) from overseas.

Click on the link to whiteautoandmedia.com -- they're an approved vendor on here too!

Oxygen
11-22-2009, 09:53 AM
Did you read the link I provided? :spank:

He explains it on his site.

Yes, you send them your cluster and they take it apart and install the OEM counterpart color LCD's (and optionally custom needles) from overseas.

Click on the link to whiteautoandmedia.com -- they're an approved vendor on here too!

Yes Thank you for the link. May do the color change, also has been suggested that polarizing glases may be a problem, which my regular glasses are. Gonna check the eye glass thing before I make a move.

Thanks for the info

WickedMom
11-22-2009, 10:02 AM
polarized glasses do make it hard to see the DIC and radio... tilt your head to see the difference

MGM GT
11-22-2009, 10:07 AM
polarized glasses do make it hard to see the DIC ... tilt your head to see the difference

Ohh thats funny....

GT-610
11-22-2009, 02:41 PM
yeah,I cant even read my cell phone with polarized glasses on!

zepcom
11-23-2009, 04:42 AM
Ohh thats funny....

<partialquote>

jnak
11-23-2009, 07:43 AM
The DIC is OK, it's the radio I find hard to read in direct sunlight.

zepcom
11-24-2009, 05:12 AM
The DIC is OK, it's the radio I find hard to read in direct sunlight.

In case you didn't already try this... here's the procedure on how to max out the radio brightness (independently of the dimmer switch for your instrument cluster)

With the radio on, hit the passenger-side knob to get into settings.
Scroll down (twist to the right) to "display"
Press the passenger-side knob once again to select
Now twist to "+5" and notice that it's brighter.
Now exit out of the menus see if that improves your situation.

(Sorry in advance if you already knew how to adjust the radio brightness...)

I was driving a 200-mile round trip yesterday in some full sunny conditions and there were times when I had to take my sunglasses off to see what song was playing. Something about the dark red text against the black (but almost pink in the sunlight) background that makes it hard to read.

You could optionally select the button that says "display mode" if you have an MP3 CD in there, I found that cycling through those made some of the text white from time to time, which is easier to read in the bright sunlight.

Hope this helps!

--zepcom

Biggeo
11-24-2009, 11:36 AM
How about window tint?

KEV-O
11-24-2009, 11:50 AM
In case you didn't already try this... here's the procedure on how to max out the radio brightness (independently of the dimmer switch for your instrument cluster)

With the radio on, hit the passenger-side knob to get into settings.
Scroll down (twist to the right) to "display"
Press the passenger-side knob once again to select
Now twist to "+5" and notice that it's brighter.
Now exit out of the menus see if that improves your situation.

(Sorry in advance if you already knew how to adjust the radio brightness...)

I was driving a 200-mile round trip yesterday in some full sunny conditions and there were times when I had to take my sunglasses off to see what song was playing. Something about the dark red text against the black (but almost pink in the sunlight) background that makes it hard to read.

You could optionally select the button that says "display mode" if you have an MP3 CD in there, I found that cycling through those made some of the text white from time to time, which is easier to read in the bright sunlight.

Hope this helps!

--zepcom

you would want to turn down the brightness if the sun is shining on the radio that bad
it would be easier to see it

KEV-O
11-24-2009, 11:51 AM
How about window tint?

tint helps, but if the sun is that strong, it only eliminates the glare to a certain extent

jnak
11-24-2009, 12:54 PM
It's the red text that is hard to read, the white or grey text is fine. And I have adjusted with the screen brightness, but it doesn't help.

Chewy
11-24-2009, 02:27 PM
Polarized glasses make no difference with our cars. I have posted pics to prove it.

I have two pairs of them from different places and neither make a difference.

Talk to Chris White...

Chris

crazygreek89
11-27-2009, 12:41 PM
Like many others said, Chris White, at Sellers Auto Sport, can reprogram your stock cluster to change the DIC, needle and speedo/tach colors.

As far as having a problem reading the DIC or head unit, I have never had a problem. I have 20% tint and drive in the sunlight all the time.

Oxygen
11-28-2009, 11:51 AM
Like many others said, Chris White, at Sellers Auto Sport, can reprogram your stock cluster to change the DIC, needle and speedo/tach colors.

As far as having a problem reading the DIC or head unit, I have never had a problem. I have 20% tint and drive in the sunlight all the time.

Do you have to tear your dash apart and mail the instrument cluster off to Chris White??

christiancoach
11-28-2009, 06:02 PM
Can he also reprogram the radio and atari guages? I want it all in Orange to match my Grey and Orange Theme. I think it would look bad if I had the dash orange and the radio was still red.

zepcom
12-01-2009, 05:59 AM
Drove the GXP for 5 hours in bright Sunlight and the DIC display is about as useless as it gets.

Any way to change the background color to make it more readable?
or any thing else to help?

Oh!! #1 dumb thing is power seat controls. Otherwise GXP's & GT's are fantastic cars.

Wonder if this BLUE radio and DIC combination would be easier to read in the daylight?

http://stadium.weblogsinc.com/autoblog/videos/HiRezPics/VE_Calais_V_047.jpg

http://stadium.weblogsinc.com/autoblog/videos/HiRezPics/VE_Calais_V_048.jpg

http://stadium.weblogsinc.com/autoblog/videos/HiRezPics/VE_Calais_V_051.jpg

PM GTPPrix for more details to see if this is possible to be retrofitted into your existing cluster (or purchase a replacement cluster with the new colors and swap out)

jnak
12-01-2009, 07:13 AM
The stereo would be easier to read if the red text was white instead.