PDA

View Full Version : limped trans

bigwillys58
11-16-2009, 08:08 PM
as the title states i limped the ole 6l80e saturday. thinkin it did it when the converter locked at WOT in 4th gear. guessin it might have slipped the clutches in it. i was horsen around in manual mode and my converter still locks in it. launched in 2nd grabed 3rd then 4th. ran it out till about 120ish then coasted back down. went to go back to drive and noticed the converter felt looser than normal. bout then i noticed the check engine light on too. only had 4th gear. cant remember the code numbers but i think the descriptions were "transmission control malfunction" and "shift control solenoid c stuck on or open" ill get the numbers again tonight. anyways i cleared the codes and beat on it some more in sport mode with no WOT converter lockage and havent had anymore problems.

discuss

R.Penguin
11-16-2009, 08:22 PM
Yeah. 6l80e is a tough piece. :p

Mike P
11-16-2009, 08:26 PM
Oh man, that stinks...... I don't have the mechanical know-how to add anything intelligent, but I just want to say "I'm sorry".....

I was bummed when my driveshaft broke on me.....

Good luck with the fix...... I'll be watching the thread.....

1GXP4ME
11-17-2009, 09:43 AM
The Allison does the same thing, its a good saftey feature
but sucks when your racing or towing, I guess this drivetrain
is not as bullet proof as we all hoped.

fiveoh
11-17-2009, 09:59 AM

So this is a safety feature and the tranny is ok or he broke something?

Mike P
11-17-2009, 10:57 AM

I'm not sure......... I'm definitely curious & want to know.....

bigwillys58
11-17-2009, 03:24 PM

thats how i know i "limped" it

limped the one in my d max about 5 times. never seemed to have any major issues once i figgured out to stay away from WOT overdrive shifts...

still thinkin this one was caused by the converter locking at WOT

bigwillys58
11-17-2009, 03:25 PM

saftey feature for sure

on the allison it occurs when it detects clutch slippage which on those transmissions was usually from WOT shifts into overdrive. it would always throw 2 codes... the same 2 decriptions as the ones i got from this one.

the thing that worries me most is reading somewhere on here that these trans dont like high rpms while mine shifts at 6700:hang:

fiveoh
11-17-2009, 06:46 PM
saftey feature for sure

on the allison it occurs when it detects clutch slippage which on those transmissions was usually from WOT shifts into overdrive. it would always throw 2 codes... the same 2 decriptions as the ones i got from this one.

the thing that worries me most is reading somewhere on here that these trans dont like high rpms while mine shifts at 6700:hang:

Does it pull all the way to 6700? Wow. :wacko: