PDA

View Full Version : Cold Air Intake for G8

mackerman22
11-16-2009, 02:53 PM
I was thinking of installing the K&N cold air intake assembly. However, I was wondering if this would void my GM warranty.

GT-610
11-16-2009, 03:13 PM
OMG.there is a seerch feature.it works.you will find 1 million of these threads

KEV-O
11-16-2009, 03:19 PM
lol

Call-Me-D
11-16-2009, 03:26 PM
Damn, rip the guys head off why don't ya! LOL

mackerman22
11-16-2009, 04:14 PM
Good luck with those anger managment classes!

MGM GT
11-16-2009, 04:18 PM
You can get the AFE much cheaper and its very similar, possibly better. I just got the AFE Stage 2 from Auto Parts Warehouse for $250 shipped.

POPSG8GT
11-16-2009, 05:39 PM
I put the K&N on our G8 GT. It uses the same MAS therefore there should not be any problem. No problem with water intake as it is set up to make sure none gets in.
Talk to your dealer, but I say NO it shoud not void any warranty.

Scott McDonald
11-19-2009, 10:56 AM
I asked the local dealer about it when I had mine at the dealership a few weeks back. Specifically I asked about headers and CAIs. The Service Rep told me that both would void the warranty. She did mention that one of the reasons for the CAI voiding the warranty is that the filters such as the K&N have oil on them which makes its way onto the MAF wires and causes problems. That may be true and come to think of it I did have to put a new MAF on my 02 Z28 a few months back. But it has gone about 120K miles since the Holley Powershot filter was put on though. Regardless I don't think that a less restrictive air intake and/or exhaust system should be a valid reason for voiding the manufacturer's warranty.

Panzer Leader
11-19-2009, 04:29 PM
Get a CAI with a dry type filter. My dealer told me the same thing just today. uestions arre these: Does the dry type filter have the same air flow rate as the oil? Can it be washed and reused? Will the corresponding gains in HP, Torque and MPG be the same?

bobyoung
11-19-2009, 09:59 PM
I have a CAI with an oil type filter and have brought mine in many times, some for warranty work and have never been told it would void the warranty.

travis gore
11-20-2009, 04:02 AM
I was told by the service manager I could do whatever I want.just 1. leave o2 sensors alone
2. leave AFM on
3. exhaust (from the cats back)
We are in a unique sutuation here in indy our service manager is awesome,and has a G8 himself

mackerman22
11-20-2009, 01:27 PM
I submitted this question online to K&N and this was their response:

Thank you for your interest in K&N products. Sometimes, vehicle owners are under the impression that their vehicle’s warranty will be voided simply by installing a K&N replacement air filter or performance intake system. This happens because some dealer service department personnel, mechanics, and other car manufacturers’ representatives pass on incorrect information or opinions of K&N products, information that is based upon opinion and not upon fact.

The truth is, installing a K&N replacement air filter or performance intake system will not void your vehicle’s warranty. In the United States, consumers are protected by a federal law commonly referred to as the Magnuson-Moss Act. The law states that a consumer is free to choose any brand of replacement parts they wish to use on their vehicle without fear of voiding their vehicle’s warranty. If a service provider claims that the use of a particular part has caused the need for a repair, they must prove with evidence how the part caused the failure in order for the repair to fall outside of warranty coverage.

K&N has taken the Magnuson-Moss Act one step further by initiating a Consumer Protection Pledge. K&N pledges to consumers worldwide that if they experience a “difficult” dealership or service provider who is denying warranty coverage on a repair because of a K&N product, the consumer simply needs to contact us and we will step in and solve the issue. This keeps you from being stuck in the middle with a broken vehicle, and helps get your vehicle repaired and back on the road in a timely manner. This guarantee applies to all K&N replacement air filters and performance intake systems, both automotive and powersports, and is just a small piece of protection you get under K&N’s exclusive Million Mile Limited Warranty.

You may read our entire “Consumer Protection Pledge” on our website at http://www.knfilters.com/MAF/massairpledge.htm.

Thanks for writing,

goldz28
11-21-2009, 02:49 AM
^^^ Thanks for the info. I was told that a CAI would void my warranty also. Looks like I'll be putting it on afterall...:woohoo:

Panzer Leader
11-21-2009, 04:41 PM
So let me get this straight, K&N says "no problem, no worries" and cites the law. OK fine, but using an oil coated filter which could affect the MAF and throttle body is the question. If the car, was not set up for these components from the factory, I think GM would have a strong case, if the MAF and throttle body get FUed up due to the oil off the filter. How far is K&N willing to go, for that matter any of the other aftermarket producers.

DRCUSTOMPARTS
11-22-2009, 11:31 AM
They can't void the warranty because they see something that isn't stock on your car. If an aftermarket part(s) is proven to cause a breakdown, the repair won't be covered by GM. I have a CAI/tune/mufflers and the dealer has never said anything about my mods when I had it in for warranty work.

djchubbs
11-22-2009, 02:43 PM
yeah really calm down

:poof:

iceman2210
11-29-2009, 01:28 PM
I was thinking of installing the K&N cold air intake assembly. However, I was wondering if this would void my GM warranty.

I have the volant CAI and I like it....

I asked the same question to the GM dealer and it does not void warranty unless you have filter that uses oil.

SS DAVE
11-29-2009, 01:54 PM
my holden dealer in australia told me mafless tunes ,exhaust ,otr etc were fine,id only loose warranty if i put a blower or turbo on it.
id just go a mafless tune with a good otr,you wont have to worry about the filter oil clogging the maf then and it will make more power:woohoo: