PDA

View Full Version : Head Lights

saihageh
11-15-2009, 12:56 PM
Hello, I have a 2008 G8 I bought back in Sept., pre-owned, and only recently have had to drive in the night. The head lights are what came from the factory, I haven’t upgraded to HD lighting. What the head lights do, on low beam, is create a black line just above the top level of the steering wheel. You can see thru this line, slightly, but it’s a very noticeable sharp cut off separating the road ahead from what’s lit and dark, so what your line of sight sees is lit road then at eye level, just about an inch above the steering wheel, you see total black. High beams are no problem, when the lighting reaches its maximum viewing distance there’s a gradual cut off of what you see and don’t, but with low beams it’s like someone put a black piece of paper just above the steering wheel, light below and black above. I’ve tried to explain this as best as I can. Anyway has anyone experienced this with their car? I’ve tried to look up how to adjust the head lights, thinking that maybe raising them up slightly would at least raise up this black separation line I see, but apparently I haven’t put in the right wording on the internet, and haven’t seen this discussed here. Can anyone tell me what’s happening and tell me how to correct this, outside of having to put in HD lighting, maybe lead me to a link that gives step by step instructions, with pictures, on how to adjust the head lights and if any special tool is needed (gm part #), I ask about any special tool because I use to drive a company ford c/v, and it needed a special ratchet to sdjust the head lights. Can someone help me? Thanks.

schwartz
11-15-2009, 02:46 PM
Does this happen before or after the doobie?.............LOL,just kidding.Never heard of or experienced this.

Remikinz
11-15-2009, 05:58 PM
they are projector housings so they cause a cut off line... HIDs really do help but since your trying to avoid that Im not much help... If you do find out how to adjust them up and down I would be interested too.

NYG8GT
11-15-2009, 06:05 PM
Adjusting is cake, there is a small plastic screw piece that fits either a Torx bit or a socket, I think a 10mm. Its a white piece, pretty much in plain site on the top of the headlight under the hood.

And yes, the cut off is normal and no, HID's wont get rid of it. But be careful how much you raise the headlights, or else you might start causing nasty glare in the view of oncoming traffic.

Remikinz
11-15-2009, 06:07 PM
hids make it a bit brighter atleast lol... thanks for the info NYG8GT going to try to adjust them a bit higher

todds87ss
11-15-2009, 11:17 PM
This is very normal, as it is also with the GTO. It does take some getting used to. Adjustment will just agitate oncoming traffic. HIDs wont help. Sorry.