PDA

View Full Version : So I let my wife drive my G8 GT . . .

Oldtimer
11-14-2009, 06:45 PM
Her 2007 Malibu was making some noises from the front, and you could feel some hesitation in the steering, so we took it to the local Chevy dealer, who quickly diagnosed it as a faulty electric steering pump, kept the car for three days waiting for the part, and charged me $450 (less $200 extended warranty deductible). Picked it up, and the hesitation was still there, and the service writer says "drive it for a week or so, and if it's still doing that same thing, bring it back". Yeah, thanks!

I called the dealer where I take my G8, and ask them if they can work on her Malibu, and they say "you bet, bring it in". I pulled the Malibu into the service bay, and was doing the paperwork with my service writer, and another one pulls the car up about ten feet. The second guy get out and yells to my guy: "Feels like the lower shaft on the steering column needs to be re-lubed." Later that same afternoon, and $60 later, steering was smooth as silk.

Anyway, the day I took it in (my dealer is less than a mile from my office), I let my wife drive my G8. When we get home, her first words were: "Can I take it tomorrow?".

Well this was about six weeks ago, but the next day, I call the Sales Manager at my Pontiac dealer and tell him I need another one. And the search was on, nationwide. Our specs: G8 GT, cloth interior, and metallic red (although the deep grey would be a back-up). A red one shows up in Orlando, but it's a demo with 3K miles on it; another one shows up in St. Louis, but that dealer doesn't want to deal; finally, last week, almost at our wit's ends, we cut a deal in Minneapolis. Car arrived on Friday, and we picked it up today.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-9/49507/HisandHers.JPG

Anyone else out there also a His & Hers G8 GT family?

:woohoo:

Adam
11-14-2009, 09:01 PM
Real cool man! Glad she liked it that much. They really are great cars. My wife says its too big to drive everyday. She has an X-Type Jag and thinks the G8 has a better fit and finish. She just likes the size of hers. Very cool story though.

MANOFSTEEL69
11-15-2009, 03:12 AM
Nice! We thought about going this route. But with the Z-28 going into production, (fingers crossed), for 2011 the G8 will become hers, the Z mine. :) Congrats on the new ride for the Misses!

Modhauler
11-15-2009, 08:35 AM
We don't have 2 G8's but we have a metallic red and a mineral grey vehicle. lol

GRRRR8
11-15-2009, 10:02 AM
Congrats!

I read your post and said, "bad steering shaft, but they will lube and the issue will come back".

Anytime anyone spends $$ on a repair and it does the same exact thing, DEMAND your $$ back. Its not fixed. Even if they fix it, you paid $450 - your deductible in repairs that the car didnt need......obviously.

BW G8GT
11-15-2009, 10:04 AM
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-9/49507/HisandHers.JPG

Anyone else out there also a His & Hers G8 GT family?

There's a member who has a GXP, and his wife has a GT. I can't remember his name though.

GM_Fan
11-15-2009, 11:44 AM
Congrats on the His/Hers.

Tate
11-17-2009, 04:25 AM
That's great. I've always had Grand Prix's in the past and the wife always got the old one when I picked up a new one. We were known as the couple that has the same cars in our neighborhood. Since I've had my G8 I've tried to get her one as well. But she is stuck on the new Camaro and I promised when I got back from Korea, that's what we will get her. So I'll have my G8 GT and at least 1SS. Sometimes it pretty cool when your spouse wants to play as well, other times it sucks because that's less mod money for you and your car, now your splitting it.
Tate

travis gore
11-17-2009, 04:31 AM
his and hers look good.my wife has drove mine twice and she is scared of it....we are thinking about a v6 for her because she say that the G8s look SWEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:woohoo:

Shredmo
11-17-2009, 12:57 PM
My parents both have g8 GTs and I got one, so there are 3 in our extended family.
My dad thinks both of their G8s are his, but my mom claims the sport red one. I hope they sell one, so I can harvest some mods off it ;)

Oldtimer
11-17-2009, 07:17 PM
My parents both have g8 GTs and I got one, so there are 3 in our extended family.
My dad thinks both of their G8s are his, but my mom claims the sport red one. I hope they sell one, so I can harvest some mods off it ;)

We might be close to that. My son has a 2005 GTO, so essentially we're an all Holden family. :)

GTeve
11-17-2009, 07:22 PM
Two G8s in the family, mine black and my dad's silver... i let him drive my car one day after we went to a chevy dealership to look at the new camaros (that they wont let you test drive which is ridiculous) and he really liked the sedan. His year of new car searching came to end when he found the G8 he really wanted, and now really really enjoys. Gotta love these things!

Shredmo
11-18-2009, 08:17 AM
We might be close to that. My son has a 2005 GTO, so essentially we're an all Holden family. :)

My dad and my brother each have 2004 GTOs too! To top it off, my son's name is Holden (named him that before the madness). Here is a pic of a few of the cars together from this past summer.

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd238/Shredmo/Picture006.jpg

Z-mann
11-20-2009, 12:12 PM
No other g8's.. got an 01 camaro z28 that I bought brand new.. the g8 is my wifes car... she picked it out after seeing one on the highway... of course.. didn't take my talking to convince me to get one.

Scott McDonald
12-16-2009, 05:42 AM
I had to take the wife's Odyssey in for some service a few weeks back which meant she got to drive my G8 for the day. I was afraid after she had a dose of V8 horsepower again I might be relegated to driving the van more often. I dodged a bullet on this one because she still likes the van more. :)

Shredmo
12-16-2009, 09:03 AM
I had to take the wife's Odyssey in for some service a few weeks back which meant she got to drive my G8 for the day. I was afraid after she had a dose of V8 horsepower again I might be relegated to driving the van more often. I dodged a bullet on this one because she still likes the van more. :)

I too am concerned with the wife taking over the G8. I found a 100% fix-all to prevent this from happening though. I is called Pypes exhaust. I like the way it sounds, wife claims I ruined the car. My son likes the sound, so we are keeping 'em.

MAYBEN
12-16-2009, 02:51 PM
my fiancée has a tC which is way too small for me...

anyways, I let her drive it around a little before, when we out and I responded to calls...

but, when I had to go to MA a month or so ago for work, I had my boss drop me off by my parent's house in RI.. She was going to meet me up there and spend the weekend at my parents... I DID NOT WANT TO DRIVE THE tC FOR 200 MILES ON THE WAY BACK DOWN so I convinced her to take the G8, which she thinks is too big, and when she got there, she said "Wow, its much smoother than my car."

she also confessed that she did 89mph in it as well, and the only reason she realized it is once she passed 85, the car went DING DING... lol... she said "Wow, I barely have to press the gas getting on the highway."

congrats on the second G8 btw!

Scott McDonald
12-16-2009, 07:06 PM
I too am concerned with the wife taking over the G8. I found a 100% fix-all to prevent this from happening though. I is called Pypes exhaust. I like the way it sounds, wife claims I ruined the car. My son likes the sound, so we are keeping 'em.

You know my wife actually said the G8 was too quiet when I first got it and wanted to know what I was going to do to make it louder. I just haven't found the time to make it louder yet.

Oldtimer
12-16-2009, 07:48 PM
congrats on the second G8 btw!

Thanks!

We're now sneaking up on 1,000 miles on hers, and she still raves about it. In terms of comparison to her 2007 Malibu, it is such a more stable platform.

We were in it a few days ago, and I spent some time pointing out other cars: "You can take him, and him, and that one, and that other one over there."

Her response: "Really, wow, cool!"

Doubt if she'll ever act on it, though.

WickedMom
12-16-2009, 08:40 PM

+1. I did this. Except its my husband who thinks it is ruined.

Shredmo
12-17-2009, 07:51 AM
+1. I did this. Except its my husband who thinks it is ruined.

That is awesome!

Hessian
12-27-2009, 03:45 PM
Wife has a Panther black GT and I have the Stryker blue GT. If someone can't remember that - I tell em hers is the quiet one.

Oldtimer
12-27-2009, 08:27 PM
Wife has a Panther black GT and I have the Stryker blue GT. If someone can't remember that - I tell em hers is the quiet one.

Yeah, I'm thinking about doing the washer thing on mine, that way in the dark, when we use remote start, I can walk directly to mine.

:spank:

wnt2gofst
12-29-2009, 12:55 PM
My wife drove mine while i was deployed, now she says it too loud, she wants a camaro, but doesnt want a v8 says she dont need all that..she just likes the looks of the camaro, I keep telling her to buy the v8

G8GTlawride
12-30-2009, 06:34 AM
Now that Pontiac is out of production maybe a thread on clean used G8's for those who still want one?

There is a dealer in my city that has a dark red 09 GT with the Sport Package for sure. Looks to be really clean. I spoke to a relative of the person who owned it. Very well taken care of. I had seen the car around town and the person driving it looked older. I know the owner of the dealer, which is now a Nissan only dealer and the price has been lowered, to what I do not know though.

I can post the dealer details if the mods are ok with it. Not sure how that all works, don't want to step on any toes!

Sycosis
01-02-2010, 02:24 PM
Mine is a black Dodge Challenger SRT 8 and her's is the maverick silver G8 GT. She traded in her 06 Trailblazer SS. She likes the g* much better except the summer tires in NJ.

-Ray-
01-03-2010, 05:46 AM
Mine is a black Dodge Challenger SRT 8 and her's is the maverick silver G8 GT. She traded in her 06 Trailblazer SS. She likes the g* much better except the summer tires in NJ.

You don't press the shift key when you type 8. With a SRT* you should know that. :)

Sycosis
01-03-2010, 02:53 PM
Wow -- sensitive aren't we? It's a type-o!

-Ray-
01-04-2010, 04:28 AM
Charlie say's I should use smiley faces more often. I say fuck 'em. LOL

EDIT: Fixed it.

AVIDMOTION
04-06-2010, 12:07 PM
My wife drove mine also, and decided she too would like a G8. However we really need something to cart the kayaks and mountainbikes around so she prob get a Subu since we have the family in with that.

Godzilla213
05-17-2010, 07:13 PM
Man most of you guys are lucky. My wife thinks the G8 is ugly as hell, she wants an Impala SS again. I can't argue that the Impala is way better looking but the performance can't be compared. Right now her cash cow is a Buick Enclave CXL........which is what I gave up buying a GXP to get her.

MongosG8
05-18-2010, 12:45 AM
My wife always asks me to drive my G8. She cannot even handle driving her Accord.
I tell her sure you can drive it just sign this paper saying you will give me your Accord to trade in just in case you FK up my car.

99-LS1-SS
05-18-2010, 04:25 AM
My wife cares nothing at all about driving my car. She would probably rather chew on tin foil than have to drive my car. Manual transmission FTW!

MongosG8
05-18-2010, 04:48 AM
She would probably rather chew on tin foil than have to drive my car. Manual transmission FTW!

LMAO!! Classic!

Another reason why I miss my manual.. Wife doesn't know how to shift!

Mier
05-18-2010, 03:38 PM
Man most of you guys are lucky. My wife thinks the G8 is ugly as hell, she wants an Impala SS again. I can't argue that the Impala is way better looking but the performance can't be compared. Right now her cash cow is a Buick Enclave CXL........which is what I gave up buying a GXP to get her.

I disagree, I have to sit around Impalas all damn day and they look so damn plain and uninteresting. It says something to me when Commodore owners in Australia modify their cars to look like mine.

youngrushhour
05-18-2010, 05:00 PM
Let the girlfriend drive the modded G8 the day after it came back from Kaltech.

Let's just say she's a bit in love with a stalled Auto with headers and now wants a stalled Vette with headers.

jzpiano
05-30-2010, 04:59 PM
My wife took the car this week to work as I went on a field trip with my students this week that involved a sand volleyball and sand dodgeball for their end of the year party as I didn't want that in my car. This was the second time she has driven it. Her boss heard the car and was in love with the exhaust and kidded her about somebody being parked next to it since she put it in the way back of the lot. They were leaving work at the same time and he said I'll wait so I can hear the car again. Then she comes home and asks to drive again tomorrow because she finally understood what I meant about the car being "fun to drive".