PDA

View Full Version : Autoline Detroit Interview, Must View!

SRG963
11-12-2009, 05:17 AM
Interesting video, could we see the Caprice in 2012????

http://www.autolinedetroit.tv/journal/?p=6587

GM, Bring the Commodore back to the US!

supercharger
11-12-2009, 07:26 AM
Did all those guys pop a qualude before going on air? Good grief. Take about sleep inducing. As far as the G8, he gave a pretty foggy answer, like everyone else at GM. He did say something interesting though, and it agreed with something I said on the subject of the G8 police cars. When I heard only cops would get G8's (or caprice) I said that it would generate a lot more interest in the car. The public will get to see something they've likely not seen yet, and the current owners would see an uptick in resale values due to expanded exposure of the car. Everyone knows cops like having fast cars and the fact that only the cops could get one would make existing G8's like forbidden fruit...which many find irresistible...especially collectors who want something special. The fact that the G8 was such a watershed car in terms of performance and value and received so many rave reviews and "buy" recommendations from the automotive press is an incredibly solid foundation to build a cult legend on. Whether it generates enough interest to be viable in the public market again as a Caprice is not known, but it WILL create new demand in the used market and this cars value will not nosedive like some believe. If GM never brings it back for public sale and only sells to the police...resale values will hold up very well and may even bring a collectors premium a lot sooner than anyone realizes. If the car just dies and no police cars are made, resale values will suffer IMHO....but I think the police are going to buy a bunch of them. The Crown Vic is pre-historic now, and the only other game in town is the Charger. The police market needs new blood badly, and the stretched wheelbase G8 will be a BIG hit with cops in terms of performance. Remember, those guys can speed whenever they want...and the cops in areas with twisty roads will absolutely love them :)

One thing is for sure: There will never be any more G8's, and the number of G8's available for sale in the used market is only going to get smaller and smaller.

I think we all made a really good move getting one when we did :woohoo:

setinhi
11-17-2009, 12:26 PM
Reuss said a lot more, some of it not-so-between the lines. It's a very long interview, but with a lot of meat. What stuck with me is that they are seriously considering importing an Aussie rwd car to the US. At least 125 lbs lighter, possibly with a smaller exterior. Sounds like it would be the next-gen Commodore.

Of course, they seriously consider a lot of things that never happen, but Reuss just spent 2 years at Holden and he is obviously very fond of their cars.