PDA

View Full Version : Front Strut Removal

SS Enforcer
10-10-2008, 03:07 PM
Got a quick question please fellas when removing the struts for the G8 will the whole strut come out without compressing the springs ... someone here said you can remove the front strut whole and it does look like it to me but in other cars I have done it hasn't been the case.

cheers

GRRRR8
10-10-2008, 03:31 PM
I believe its all 1 piece. The pics show them as being an assembly, but I havent had mine off YET.

G8V8
10-10-2008, 03:51 PM
The front struts come out as a unit with the springs intact. Then a spring compressor is needed to remove the mount. The balls fall out of the bearing if you are not careful.

SS Enforcer
10-11-2008, 06:55 AM
Thanks for that fellas I just picked up a set of pedder springs and Fe2 struts that are almost new so it should be a fairly simple swap over with mine. As mine is over 2 years old with about 40k miles on em it was stop deal.

cheers

Justice Pete
10-13-2008, 08:33 AM
The alignment of the spring plate is mission critical. Take out both struts. Note the alignment of the teeth twards the engine. Make dead certain that when you install the new coils the teeth are in exactly the same place. The same is true for the coil wrap. Remove the coil wrap from one E coil. Install it on your new Pedders coil. Then do the other coil.

These details are critical!

SS Enforcer
10-15-2008, 05:16 AM
Swap went fine in fact the front struts were a piece of cake because the ones I were putting in were allready complete. Coil wrap I saw that and my old ones had no wrap on them. The new ones do have some wrap front and rear. I get more suspension bush noise than before I though I had a loose shock but it's not and it's also only a slight noise. I took some people for a ride in it and they couldn't hear anything. :shutup:

cheers

Justice Pete
10-16-2008, 04:44 PM
The noise was there before the swap or developed after the swap?

SS Enforcer
10-17-2008, 12:31 AM
The noise was there before the swap or developed after the swap?

After but only whilst going slowly I drove it hard across some rough road and it was all quiet so I am not going to sweat it and it will just fix itself like every other noise,bang rattle I have had in this car........ I hope. :thumbsup:

There was some wrap on the originals I had another look yesterday before I put em up in the roof for storage.

cheers