PDA

View Full Version : Battery Tender pics?

CRW
11-10-2009, 06:20 AM
For those with battery tenders where/how are you connecting? Under the hood? In the trunk? I've heard there's a quick disconnect you can mount and leave in place.

Anyone have any pics? Trying to figure out exactly what I need to order!

Thanks
Chris

Rayvan
11-10-2009, 10:34 AM
They ones I bought for my dirtbikes come with a "pigtail" you attache to the battery. You may not need to buy anything.

TomPierce
11-10-2009, 01:11 PM
On the one I have there is a disconnect in the cord that goes to the battery. You clip onto the battery with alligator clips and leave that short wire connected to the battery.

This would work either in the trunk or under the hood.

GeoffA
11-10-2009, 02:05 PM
You need to get one of these from a V-Dub, plugs right into the cig lighter

http://dubfoto.com/albums/userpics/10003/Solar_Panel_2.jpg

the only problem is that our 12v accessories turn off when the key is out and in order to use the solar panel to charge the battery it needs to stay on.

GRRRR8
11-10-2009, 02:51 PM
What if your car is garage kept? :boxing:

GeoffA
11-10-2009, 04:31 PM
What if your car is garage kept? :boxing:

Then it wont work :nud:

You could always cut a hole in the roof of your garage :nah:

scorpio ps
11-10-2009, 05:48 PM
:stooges::stooges:
Then it wont work :nud:

You could always cut a hole in the roof of your garage :nah:

Why not extend the wire and place the Solar panel on the roof. :woohoo:

GeoffA
11-10-2009, 05:57 PM
it wont work for our cars anyways. The accessory has to have constant power. Ours are switched/relayed off when the key is out and the door opens.

But if you took the plug off of the end and placed the wire to the battery terminals then :hmm:

Struggle
11-10-2009, 08:47 PM
it wont work for our cars anyways. The accessory has to have constant power. Ours are switched/relayed off when the key is out and the door opens.

But if you took the plug off of the end and placed the wire to the battery terminals then :hmm:

I believe the plug in in the center counsel is power on all times. That is the one under the center arm rest.

GeoffA
11-10-2009, 09:18 PM
I believe the plug in in the center counsel is power on all times. That is the one under the center arm rest.

nope, it goes off too.

G8Smitty
11-11-2009, 08:23 AM
I leave the quick connect on and plug it in through through the truck. I actually shut my trunk while it is plugged in, but I make sure that the wire is not near the latch. I also put something like a chamois on my trunk so I remember that I have it plugged in. :)

CRW
11-17-2009, 11:57 AM
How do I get the red cover off the + battery terminal? It doesn't seem to want to pop off and I obviously don't want to force it and break it.

TomPierce
11-17-2009, 12:10 PM
It takes a fair amount of force to get it off.

CRW
11-17-2009, 12:18 PM
Does it pop straight up? At an angle? It feels like I could risk breaking it.

G8GTlawride
11-18-2009, 07:39 PM
Finally got around to buying the Tender. Instructions say to connect the neg to a ground on the car.

Is there a reason we cannot attach both connectors to proper terminals on the battery and not a ground source on the car?

And, can the Tenders be hooked up to the under hood connections?

The Tender came with the clamp type connector and the ring connectors. I would like to attach the ring terminals directly to the battery and allow the pigtail connector to dangle out of the battery cover. Both style quick disconnects have covers that snap over the terminals so they can't contact any metal.

Any suggestions on methods of attaching the terminals to the battery?

-Ray-
11-19-2009, 03:30 AM
I'll be taking my battery out and putting it in the utility room in the house. I almost froze my battery last year.

CRW
11-20-2009, 08:35 AM
Finally got around to buying the Tender. Instructions say to connect the neg to a ground on the car.

Is there a reason we cannot attach both connectors to proper terminals on the battery and not a ground source on the car?

And, can the Tenders be hooked up to the under hood connections?

The Tender came with the clamp type connector and the ring connectors. I would like to attach the ring terminals directly to the battery and allow the pigtail connector to dangle out of the battery cover. Both style quick disconnects have covers that snap over the terminals so they can't contact any metal.

Any suggestions on methods of attaching the terminals to the battery?

Hmmm.... these pics show the rings on the battery. Which is it?
http://www.newenoughhp.com/nehp_images/pdf_files/deltran_battery_spec_sheets/bt_plus_install_mount.pdf

I just got mine this past week too and would like to hook up this weekend. Any more comments on removing the positive cover without breaking it?

G8GTlawride
11-20-2009, 11:26 AM
I didn't try to remove the cover. I ended up attaching the alligator clips to the posts under the hood and set it up that way.

silver6.0L
11-20-2009, 09:42 PM
Hmmm.... these pics show the rings on the battery. Which is it?
http://www.newenoughhp.com/nehp_images/pdf_files/deltran_battery_spec_sheets/bt_plus_install_mount.pdf

I just got mine this past week too and would like to hook up this weekend. Any more comments on removing the positive cover without breaking it?

I used the battery tender last year and had no problems with charging. I used a small screw driver to release the clip that holds the red cover on and pulled up to release and it didn't break. I used the clamp connector for awhile but got tired of removing them when the weather was good enough for a drive. I put the ring connectors on and ran the wire above the liner near the top of the trunk so it barely shows. I replaced the red positive cap but didn't put it all the way on. Also I put the panel back on so it looks stock inside the trunk. When I plug the tender in I run the wire out the trunk near the glass and close the trunk. This seems to work for me.

pokey
11-21-2009, 05:42 AM
I used the battery tender last year and had no problems with charging. I used a small screw driver to release the clip that holds the red cover on and pulled up to release and it didn't break. I used the clamp connector for awhile but got tired of removing them when the weather was good enough for a drive. I put the ring connectors on and ran the wire above the liner near the top of the trunk so it barely shows. I replaced the red positive cap but didn't put it all the way on. Also I put the panel back on so it looks stock inside the trunk. When I plug the tender in I run the wire out the trunk near the glass and close the trunk. This seems to work for me.

Sounds like a good method I'll have to try the same.
BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.77 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105