PDA

View Full Version : AFM and X pipe

bwooten492
10-10-2008, 01:22 PM
OK lets see if this makes sense to anyone else, I was thinking that an X pipe and loud mufflers wouldn't sound bad when the AFM kicks on. From everything I've heard, the louder the exhaust, the worse is sounds with AFM. Is that true? It seems to me that an X pipe would equally distribute the exhaust flow and would make it sound smoother. In stock form with an axle back (ie. Kooks) Its coming out of one side of the exhaust and sounds like "farting trhough a folgers can." Im planning on doing a universal X and Corsa DB series blacks. Would a X pipe remedy this problem?

GRRRR8
10-10-2008, 01:27 PM
MagnaFlow systems use Xs. ARH/KOOKS use Xs. Its all in the mufflers.

-Ray-
10-11-2008, 03:32 AM
I'm going to be working on this issue as soon as I get a set of stock mufflers in my hands. Next Wednesday morning.

locrzn#92
10-11-2008, 04:22 AM
My mufflers are not real loud, they are proflows which appear to be a copy of the magnaflow, straight thru design with perferated pipe and packed with fiberglass. They have a great sound at idle and nice rumble. The drone is there for sure if in drive mode. I run mine in manual mode and it sounds great but the drone is not there. It only makes the drone noise in drive which I think was explained that the afm causes that and its not active in the manual mode. I see why the stock mufflers were so huge now, where the aftermarket mufflers get that resination and the stock won't. To tell you the truth I don't think there is any hp gain in the x-pipe/h-pipe or aftermarket mufflers, but, they sound good and thats why I put them on there.

GRRRR8
10-11-2008, 04:39 AM
AFM works in manual mode, but in M4 you are turing more rpms so the drone is gone.

jbradsh1
10-11-2008, 04:45 AM
I hear a lot of mention of X pipe. What benefit does an X pipe have?

GRRRR8
10-11-2008, 04:47 AM
X pipes balance the exhaust gases which increases higher rpm power abd it gives more of an exotic exhaust note.

jbradsh1
10-11-2008, 07:48 AM
Can I replace a section of the stock cat back with an X pipe? If so, which sections, the one with the muffler or the section with the resonators?