PDA

View Full Version : A couple questions about racing @ Houston Raceway

nathanf2009
11-03-2009, 07:01 PM
I've never formally went to the track and ran anything, mostly due to not knowing what to do and being embarrassed. Couple of buddies at work said we should go to the Houston Raceway, I said I wanted to after my headers/tune but they said to go prior for a baseline. So I'm wondering when do they actually race? I hear Friday & Sundays, but what times? My current mod is only a Vararam, our cars are capable of 1/4 times below 14 second stock so I assume with good driving I'll be below that so I should bring a helmet? (sorta answered that myself) I don't own a helmet, do they rent out helmets or would it be a good investment? That's all I have for now, I read Steve's posts about drag racing/racing at the track for the first time. Just wanting some track specific tips and what not. Thanks!

bwooten492
11-03-2009, 09:50 PM
The track opens at 6pm on Fridays and they stay open until midnight. They are no longer open on Sundays. I believe that you can borrow a helmet from them if you leave your ID at the office. It might not be like that anymore. I would just buy a cheap motorcycle helmet on ebay. If you go to the track a few times a year it is worth it.

Carl@SFE
11-04-2009, 02:15 AM
they are sometimes open of sundays still just not sat...

KaiserM715
11-04-2009, 06:03 AM
The track opens at 6pm on Fridays and they stay open until midnight. They are no longer open on Sundays.

I would recommend getting there closer to 6pm. The lines are shorter and you are likely to see some pretty trick machines (they get there early and leave early). I have seen a late model black Lincoln Continental with turbos out there before - I think he was in the 12s. The later it gets, the more riff-raff shows up (with alcohol) and it is mainly street racers showing up who don't want their times posted.

I think the Sunday afternoons are a late spring / summer / early fall schedule.

bwooten492
11-04-2009, 01:50 PM
old goat posted a thread where hrp said that its a waste of their money to be open sundays now so the arent doing it anymore.
Mozilla/5.0 440x240 Samsung SCH-U940 NetFront/3.4

vv8
11-04-2009, 07:02 PM
here is the schedule
http://www.houstonraceway.com/index.php?id=3

when you go you can rent a helmet and see what size you need then go and buy one.

when you get there fill out card in parking lot, then drive to the tech lane, after teching in drive to your spot of choice and park with motor off and hood open for cool down 30mins, then drive to the staging lanes, pull up to the guy in the lanes and he will tell you to go to the track, after that guy another guy will tell you when to go to the box, as you pull to the box go around the water box, get straight back up a few feet untill your back is in the blue paint area(on wall) do a mild burnout in 2nd gear about 10-15 seconds, pull forward untill the first little yellow light comes on, then inch up for the second yellow to come on(side note keep windows and seat belt on when in the box area) after the 2 little yellow lights are on put left foot on break and right foot on gas pedal hold rpms to 1200 to 1500 and wait for the big yellow lights to start coming down, as the 3rd yellow light, lights up release left foot and smash right foot and hold on untill you get past the signs at the other end, there is 3 exits when you finish, its best to go to the 2nd one since the first one is very fast after the 1/4 mile markers, keep your speeds down to 25mph pull around to the little booth, , get your ticket from the person in the box and then smile as you get to do it again and again if your lucky.

have fun.

nathanf2009
11-04-2009, 08:35 PM
here is the schedule
http://www.houstonraceway.com/index.php?id=3

when you go you can rent a helmet and see what size you need then go and buy one.

when you get there fill out card in parking lot, then drive to the tech lane, after teching in drive to your spot of choice and park with motor off and hood open for cool down 30mins, then drive to the staging lanes, pull up to the guy in the lanes and he will tell you to go to the track, after that guy another guy will tell you when to go to the box, as you pull to the box go around the water box, get straight back up a few feet untill your back is in the blue paint area(on wall) do a mild burnout in 2nd gear about 10-15 seconds, pull forward untill the first little yellow light comes on, then inch up for the second yellow to come on(side note keep windows and seat belt on when in the box area) after the 2 little yellow lights are on put left foot on break and right foot on gas pedal hold rpms to 1200 to 1500 and wait for the big yellow lights to start coming down, as the 3rd yellow light, lights up release left foot and smash right foot and hold on untill you get past the signs at the other end, there is 3 exits when you finish, its best to go to the 2nd one since the first one is very fast after the 1/4 mile markers, keep your speeds down to 25mph pull around to the little booth, , get your ticket from the person in the box and then smile as you get to do it again and again if your lucky.

have fun.

GREAT ADVICE! Any you guys want to group up and go one night? Let me know

Carl@SFE
11-05-2009, 01:56 AM
I think a few of us are going to be out there this friday night..... Brain have you heard anything else.. im still down with going. Im ready to see that car get into the 12's with that tune!!!!! Then it will be time for the goodies to come:secret:

Horn09
11-05-2009, 09:19 AM
If you guys are going this Friday, I will try to make it out there also.

bwooten492
11-05-2009, 01:43 PM
ill be there. Lets get a good group tomorrow. Hopefully i will hit a 12.9x

Carl@SFE
11-05-2009, 05:07 PM
AIGHT SO ILL SEE YOU AT THE CASA TOMORROW AFTERNOON.. HUMIDITY IS GOING TO BE 82% BUT THATS LESS THAN LAST WEEKEND... WE WILL GET EVERYTHING SET UP:secret: AND DATALOG THE RUNS PRAYING THAT THE BEAST HITS 12.9X THEN WHEN IT DOES WE WILL ENJOY SOME DOLLAR BEERS:woohoo:

OLD_GOAT
11-05-2009, 07:41 PM
AIGHT SO ILL SEE YOU AT THE CASA TOMORROW AFTERNOON.. HUMIDITY IS GOING TO BE 82% BUT THATS LESS THAN LAST WEEKEND... WE WILL GET EVERYTHING SET UP:secret: AND DATALOG THE RUNS PRAYING THAT THE BEAST HITS 12.9X THEN WHEN IT DOES WE WILL ENJOY SOME DOLLAR BEERS:woohoo:

You guys gonna do anything about the torque management? That would easily put Brian in the 12's.

bwooten492
11-05-2009, 07:52 PM
You guys gonna do anything about the torque management? That would easily put Brian in the 12's.

we got some stuff in the works. Dont worry the tune is going into 'kill mode.' The tune will be there. We will see if the driver can drive. He obviously cant handle 3.27's. Lol

OLD_GOAT
11-05-2009, 08:05 PM
we got some stuff in the works. Dont worry the tune is going into 'kill mode.' The tune will be there. We will see if the driver can drive. He obviously cant handle 3.27's. Lol

I feel strongly the driver can drive. I showed my faith in him the last time we met. Actions do speak louder than words!

Good luck on the 12. If the DA would be better (-500) I would head on out and run tomorrow, however I really want to see a high school football game. I graduated from Rayburn and tomorrow night is THE rivalry game of the year, Rayburn and Pasadena, none of which have a district win. Should be a terrible game, but I haven't seen Rayburn play in years, and would kind of like to watch them, hear the fight song and alma mater, and just enjoy being in an element I haven't visited in years.

Carl@SFE
11-05-2009, 10:19 PM

theres really no need to totally disable the TM on these cars if you can get the tranny shifting the way you want .. its a pan in the but just to get that right... and i know and i think that brain can agree that the shifting cant really get to much better than what it is ... its very friendly on the street but when you put the hammer to it it comes alive and shifts well NICELY :secret: but the tm is reduced quite a bit!! but not all the way off.. No need for that. and most GOOD tuners will tell you the same thing... if you have to totally turn it off that just the easy way out and they dont want to take the time to fine tune things. Brain can tell you his tune just like many others that have been done has a lot of time in it... I think he was fine with it along time ago but i like to see what else can be done!

Once 12.9x is hit TRUST me this car will transform into something that will be simple but alot quicker than most out there but his will have less done to it.. :secret:

Call-Me-D
11-06-2009, 06:09 AM
What time does the track open up on fridays???? I'm goin outta town, but would like to get a couple runs in tonight before I leave...

vv8
11-06-2009, 08:44 AM
the gates open at 6pm maybe a tad earlier, I will be there in my GTO with ramair383ci in his G8 to see what the lastest tune has done for his car, best so far on the 20s is been 12.9, hope to see a few out there.

Carl@SFE
11-06-2009, 09:58 AM
well hell looks like we are going to have a great turn out tonight!!!!!

KaiserM715
11-06-2009, 10:12 AM
I have been needing to go out and get some runs in. I won't be able to make it tonight, but I am thinking about trying for 11/20.

bwooten492
11-06-2009, 10:20 AM
Kaiser sounds good! I have been going out there every weekend lately because the weather is so good.

Call-Me-D
11-06-2009, 01:36 PM
Change of plans.... The woman wants to leave earlier than expected, so I won't be makin it out tonight. Hope everyone has a good time and gets some good runs in.

vv8
11-07-2009, 07:28 AM
had a blast guys, first time back to the track in about 3-4 months, nice meeting
Kaiserm715,carl, and good seeing brian,jose again.

made 4 passes
12.91@108
13.02@105
12.95@105
12.81@108
trying different launch techniques with the etsteets

brian how did you fare?

Carl@SFE
11-07-2009, 11:34 AM
had a blast guys, first time back to the track in about 3-4 months, nice meeting

made 4 passes
12.91@108
13.02@105
12.95@105
12.81@108

brian how did you fare?

nice to meet you too... i think brains best pass was 13.04 @ 108

vv8
11-07-2009, 03:19 PM
damn so close but still yet so far lol, time for one more mod to get him there.

nathanf2009
11-07-2009, 03:23 PM
Wasn't able to make it out...I'm just going to wait till the headers and tune are done :nah:

jkayner
11-09-2009, 12:30 PM
Good meeting you guys out there too. My best that night was the 13.30 @ 105.6. I only got to run 1 more time after that corvette mess was cleaned up, but i screwed up the 'holding 3rd' trick, then had to take off. I might go back out there soon, to try again.

bwooten492
11-09-2009, 12:34 PM
Good seeing yall too. I am just about to say screw it and put that bitch on the jug! lol

vv8
11-09-2009, 02:21 PM
Good meeting you guys out there too. My best that night was the 13.30 @ 105.6. I only got to run 1 more time after that corvette mess was cleaned up, but i screwed up the 'holding 3rd' trick, then had to take off. I might go back out there soon, to try again.

got you mixed up with kiaserm715 lol, but nice meeting you.

Good seeing yall too. I am just about to say screw it and put that bitch on the jug! lol

I think I seen you yesterday going into bestbuy or close to it at around 3:30 yesterday? I was in my little truck lol

bwooten492
11-10-2009, 01:32 PM
it was probably me. I have only seen one other IOM car in baytown ever.

fiveoh
11-10-2009, 04:45 PM

made 4 passes
12.91@108
13.02@105
12.95@105
12.81@108

brian how did you fare?

Mods?

vv8
11-10-2009, 06:18 PM
Mods?

Goat!! 5.7L