PDA

View Full Version : Charger SRT-8 Encounter

SpeedRacerX
11-02-2009, 03:06 PM
No one will believe this but I have witnesses...two others with me.

New, Silver, Charger SRT-8 with some kind of Exhaust came up on me hard later on Saturday on the highway. He was alone.

I changed lanes to see what it was and to let him get next to me. He wanted to go. First time he nailed it, we were side by side at about 50-60 and I very slowly pulled on him up to 100 or so where I had about a car on him by then.

Second time, he nailed it at about 50 and jumped me because I wasn't ready, had a half-car on me or more and I slowly pulled him back in and evened it up by about 80 but had to slow quickly for cars up ahead.

I'm happy I could hang side-by-side with an SRT-8 and slightly pull on him.

Other driver was all smiles and very cool.

fiveoh
11-02-2009, 03:31 PM
I dont belive it! haha j/k Do you have a tune?

SpeedRacerX
11-02-2009, 05:28 PM
I dont belive it! haha j/k Do you have a tune?

Maybe....:secret:

Devilish34
11-02-2009, 05:34 PM
Must be the red caliper mod :)

SpeedRacerX
11-02-2009, 06:15 PM
Must be the red caliper mod :)

Yup. The other driver goes into shock and lets up on the go pedal a little. :)

Ktlplxm
11-02-2009, 06:51 PM
Whats not to believe? The Chargers aren't all they're made out to be. Good kill though

kyllekkc
11-02-2009, 08:09 PM
Yup. The other driver goes into shock and lets up on the go pedal a little. :)

lol

familycaronROIDS!
11-02-2009, 09:17 PM
Good kill - I believe you 100% no witnesses needed

Ive had the same type of experiences a few times. Before the SRT8 defenders come on in with the superman shirts on. I am sure there are tons of SRT8 that would smoke me(2-way street) I just havent ran into any on the highway yet.

johnh
11-05-2009, 09:49 AM
I completely believe it.

I went to the track yesterday.

There was a Charger SRT8, running mid 13s, he was all stock.
There was a 300C SRT8 with Intake and Tune, running 13.1s and 12.9

I raced heads up against the Charger and lost because of my crappy launching (2.3 60' with wheel hop).

I raced head up with the 300C, it was great race, I hole shotted him, but he caught me by lights barely (.06 seconds). He had Intake and Tune...

So a slightly modded G8 (Intake, Tune, Exhaust) can easily hang with a stock/slightly modded SRT8.

MANOFSTEEL69
11-05-2009, 10:27 AM
Snack food! :) I don't even bother with "American" muscle cars anymore.
BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104

99-LS1-SS
11-05-2009, 10:30 AM
Whats not to believe? The Chargers aren't all they're made out to be. Good kill though

This for sure! They aren't that fast.

nathanf2009
11-05-2009, 04:44 PM
People who cannot drive stick shift are the ones who make the car slow....properly tuned automatic and you got him

Devilish34
11-05-2009, 04:57 PM
Snack food! :) I don't even bother with "American" muscle cars anymore.
BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104

You must not have any Terminators around you. Got a couple 03/04 Cobras running around here at least 1 PC 300 SRT8, 1 Roush, (but haven't seen any since I got my cam or stall) and 1 TT GTO,

nathanf2009
11-05-2009, 10:57 PM
You must not have any Terminators around you. Got a couple 03/04 Cobras running around here at least 1 PC 300 SRT8, 1 Roush, (but haven't seen any since I got my cam or stall) and 1 TT GTO,

I wouldn't mess with the terminator cobra :boxing:

Ace22
11-07-2009, 05:45 AM

I would :nah:

nathanf2009
11-07-2009, 06:05 PM
I would :nah:

I read your signature/mods and first thing that came too mind, a bit rudimentary but I was thinking "DUHHHHHH". That would be fun to see :)

Devilish34
11-07-2009, 06:32 PM

I'll be looking for one tomorrow morning or the CTS V that's near me
BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.77 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105

ChicagoG8GT
11-09-2009, 08:00 AM
Nice!

I ran a stock one on Friday twice.. Me 1 Him 1

Ktlplxm
11-09-2009, 12:53 PM

Terminators are like everything else, all the power in the world won't help a bad driver, not to mention whereas there are some quick ones on the streets; they are still outnumbered by the stock ones.

04Venom
11-11-2009, 04:05 PM
they are still outnumbered by the stock ones.

Uhhhh.... I would think the inverse; the stock Cobra's are outnumbered by the modified ones.

Horn09
11-11-2009, 06:41 PM
exactly, it is rare to come across a stock 03/04 cobra these days.

Devilish34
11-11-2009, 07:04 PM
Bah saw the one of the Cobras and the CTS V both going the opposite direction lol.
Not sure it the ones in my area that I see are stock or not but I do know the guy in the CTS V would run. I've seen him get on it numerous times but I'm always in my Avalanche lol

Devilish34
11-11-2009, 07:05 PM
exactly, it is rare to come across a stock 03/04 cobra these days.

Esp since a simple pulley swap is just that simple.

Ktlplxm
11-12-2009, 06:50 AM
I think its where people pay attention to the modified ones more. In my area I can count off at least 13-14 stock ones. I don't consider exhaust, cold air, and tunes, really modded; they should come that way regardless. In my head, they aren't really modded until major upgrades are done. A standard pulley swap only nets so much hp, and it still doesn't guarantee they can drive. I maintain my original statement. I've seen more get outrun than I've seen win.

04Venom
11-12-2009, 03:10 PM
I don't consider exhaust, cold air, and tunes, really modded; they should come that way regardless.

Well I'm glad that you don't consider E/I/T really modded. However when someone loses, everything including the galaxy comes-into-play :)

A standard pulley swap only nets so much hp, and it still doesn't guarantee they can drive.

I agree with that.

I maintain my original statement. I've seen more get outrun than I've seen win.

Be careful, a E/I/T/P Cobra will outgun pretty much any 400HP car out there. Don't take this combo lightly.

When my car was stock, I made 378/342. After BorlaS/BassaniX/FIPK I made 406/367. This is without a TUNE or PULLEY.

Devilish34
11-12-2009, 03:19 PM
Be careful, a E/I/T/P Cobra will outgun pretty much any 400HP car out there. Don't take this combo lightly.

When my car was stock, I made 378/342. After BorlaS/BassaniX/FIPK I made 406/367. This is without a TUNE or PULLEY.

I don't think he is worried

04Venom
11-12-2009, 05:51 PM
I don't think he is worried

Oh, true.. No dispute there. Just saying that a E/I/T 03/04 should be a formidable opponent.

Ktlplxm
11-13-2009, 05:08 AM
Oh, true.. No dispute there. Just saying that a E/I/T 03/04 should be a formidable opponent.

And rightly so, they should be. Fortunately, its the drivers of the cars you have to beat, not the car. Missed shifts, bad launches, roll offs from bad speeds, holding a gear too long/not long enough...Although you do not seem to be one of them, most of the Terminator owners I meet are WAY too overconfident. They remind me a lot of GN owners. they have a wonderfully built car, with lots of potential, but till they learn to harness it efficiently... But a well built Terminator, with a good driver is a little more of an issue (then you just run them in a comparable yet more powerful car). Supras are the ones I'm usually wary of.

Robert@KBXPerformance
11-13-2009, 01:43 PM
Well I'm glad that you don't consider E/I/T really modded. However when someone loses, everything including the galaxy comes-into-play :)

I agree with that.

A cobra with I/E/T/P will be putting down right around 460-475rwhp and is good for 11.5's or so on stickies with a good driver. Nothing to sneeze at even in a G8 making good power. I put down 500rwhp/570rwtq in my G8 GTTT and I am still careful around Terminators. That is probably because my roots are in the Mustang world so I know what they can do with different mods. Drop a whipple on em and run middle 10's all day with a good driver on the right tires.

Robert@KBXPerformance
11-13-2009, 01:51 PM
Hey 04venom now that I am talking about Whipples I just noticed that you plan to do a Whipple 2300 on your Cobra. Not bad. I like the 2.3's for a good street vehicle. Too many people will step up to a 3.4 and only turn the bitch to 17 psi of boost, essentially wasting its efficiency. I don't see any problem with you being able to hit 550-570rwhp on a safe tune with pretty mild boost. Heck that combo can take you past 600+ at the tires with a little more aggressive tune with either meth or racegas and higher boost. I didn't notice anything about upgraded halfshafts. Do you plan to just run the stockers on DR's or do you plan some DSS equipment or 8.8" SAS from a GT? The stocker shafts can last if you launch the car right, even while on slicks, but I would keep a spare one in the trunk for track days.

Voice of Reason
11-13-2009, 10:03 PM
I miss the kick in the chest power from my old E/I/T/P 03 Cobra but that's about it. The G8 is a better car in every other department.

04Venom
11-14-2009, 12:20 PM
Hey 04venom now that I am talking about Whipples I just noticed that you plan to do a Whipple 2300 on your Cobra. Not bad. I like the 2.3's for a good street vehicle. Too many people will step up to a 3.4 and only turn the bitch to 17 psi of boost, essentially wasting its efficiency.

I'm collecting the parts now for a late-spring build. I was torn between the 2.3L and 3.4L. I did my homework and for the level of boost I want to make with the stock internals, the 2.3L is more efficent. My decision was aided from rumors of the 3.4L snapping off the crank snout, and or cracking the block itself.

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139528

I don't see any problem with you being able to hit 550-570rwhp on a safe tune with pretty mild boost. Heck that combo can take you past 600+ at the tires with a little more aggressive tune with either meth or racegas and higher boost.

Yeap, a safe tune and a mild level of boost (15 PSI) is exactly what I'm looking for.

I didn't notice anything about upgraded halfshafts. Do you plan to just run the stockers on DR's or do you plan some DSS equipment or 8.8" SAS from a GT? The stocker shafts can last if you launch the car right, even while on slicks, but I would keep a spare one in the trunk for track days.

Yah... With the additional power, I'm wondering how long my half-shafts are going to last. I can either go with level 5 half-shafts, or busings all around. I can't do both next summer. Right now my thoughts are to drop the rear, go with Derlin bushings, the FORE differential cover, and call it a damn day :)

Robert@KBXPerformance
11-14-2009, 02:57 PM
Yah... With the additional power, I'm wondering how long my half-shafts are going to last.

Honestly probably not long even if you were on DR's, let alone slicks. Hell it has become somewhat common to have I/E/T/P Terminators snap a halfshaft while on stickies with decent track prep let alone the power you will be making.

Voice of Reason
11-14-2009, 05:42 PM
Honestly probably not long even if you were on DR's, let alone slicks. Hell it has become somewhat common to have I/E/T/P Terminators snap a halfshaft while on stickies with decent track prep let alone the power you will be making.

I saw a 200 mile paper tag Terminator snap a halfshaft at the track in 04. The car hopped once at the line and boom, that's all she wrote. Stock tires too. It used to freak me out when mine would start to hop on a wet street when I was only at 1/10 throttle.

04Venom
11-15-2009, 07:02 AM

If I'm able to gut the IRS and replace the rubber bushings with Derlin, that should reduce wheel-hop. That's alot of work though. Also, I'm prepping my car more for "road course" duty rather than track duty, so I'm not worried about hard laucnhes. I know I will need stickier tires; the M/T E.T. Street radial II looks really good :)