PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Mustang Shelby GT down in flames on the highway

foreosu
10-28-2009, 05:32 PM
Coming home from work the other day, this black Mustang comes flying up on me in traffic and keeps pacing me. So... when traffic opened up, he got on it hard and took off. I didn't know anything about these cars, but it sounded pretty good and with the "Shelby" badge, I assumed it was upgraded.

I followed suit and he didn't pull away, so I was pretty pleased. He slowed down and I caught back up. I assumed he was going to wait for me to get even, but as soon as I got on his back bumper, he took off again. I was ready for it, but he got a good 2-3 car jump before my car downshifted into 3rd and got rolling. Well, much to his displeasure, I started pulling him in little by little. By the time we hit about 115, I was pulling on him to the point that I was at his back bumper and we both shut it down.

My car is still stock (took the Pypes off last weekend). Does this make sense? I assumed those cars would be a lot faster.

Jimmy Dean
10-29-2009, 04:48 AM
Not many stock cars will outrun you on the highway. I pulled away from a 2010 SS Camaro a few weeks ago when we hit about 130 and by the time I hit 140 +/-, the lead was plenty enough to claim victory. :) I don't know if he ran out of engine, gears or nads, but after I slowed down and he caught up to me, he gave me a huge grin & thumbs up.

I'm pretty sure most Mustangs are geared lower which would max them out well below us. Another thing, it could've been a "Shelby" version of a GT which is just a few options and not equal to the Shelby GT 500. Regardless, you put the Mustang in it's place...behind you. :spank:

G8 GT V8
10-29-2009, 05:45 AM
I saw one running at one of our local tracks a couple weeks ago and it was running slower quarter mile times than my essentially stock GT (I did have Kook's axle backs on at the time but they're supposed to not help too much in the horsepower end of things). After seeing that, I'm not intimidated by the Shelby moniker, unless it says GT500. Good job...He's probably already traded it in for a G8. :)

rmcrom
10-29-2009, 10:04 AM
I believe the Shelby GT is mostly an appearance and suspension package for GTs. The GT500 is the supercharged beast.

foreosu
10-29-2009, 03:55 PM
I believe the Shelby GT is mostly an appearance and suspension package for GTs. The GT500 is the supercharged beast.

Correct - I know better than to think I could hang with the GT500. Although it wouldn't stop me from racing one, just to see it run!

johnbell2
10-30-2009, 05:50 AM
We're spoiled. A G8 GT is a tough act to beat in stock trim, mild mods make the scenery fly by in a hurry.

If you're hunting AMG / M series / Vettes etc. for sport just to keep things interesting then you know you have a quick car. I won't even go after a Lexus anymore unless it's an IS-F and I managed to hang with that easily already.

The fun one here the other day was playing chase car with a murdered out Acura NSX. That guy couldn't shake me to save his life, he was pissed. Me laughing out loud in his rear view probably didn't help - sorry buddy, just couldn't contain it :)

JVH1982
10-30-2009, 08:01 AM
I got royally destroyed by an E63 AMG. Guy was driving very 'aggressively' through traffic so I didn't give chase. He was squeezing in between cars so close I almost crapped a brick. Street racing isn't worth trading paint over.

wyldman
10-30-2009, 09:38 AM
I got royally destroyed by an E63 AMG. Guy was driving very 'aggressively' through traffic so I didn't give chase. He was squeezing in between cars so close I almost crapped a brick. Street racing isn't worth trading paint over.

I wish most of the idiots out there would realize that. The right time and place (Mexico) is fun but dodging in and out of traffic is just stupid and I wont follow you. Not with my $1000.00 deductible and $365.00 a mo. payment. Screw that.

Tempest2000
10-30-2009, 01:53 PM
I did when I was 18, but I got a mortgage, kids, wife, and its just not worth it any more.

Having fun on a windy back road or a vacated road are free game though...

DRCUSTOMPARTS
10-30-2009, 04:43 PM
When I saw the title, I was expecting to see this, lol. Good kill though!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/moK4vVErEfE&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/moK4vVErEfE&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

04Venom
10-30-2009, 06:33 PM
I did when I was 18, but I got a mortgage, kids, wife, and its just not worth it any more.

Having fun on a windy back road or a vacated road are free game though...

Ain't that the truth....

kyllekkc
10-30-2009, 10:12 PM
the shelby gt are just an upgraded gt not the gt 500 good kill though

xruling
11-05-2009, 05:50 PM
Is the film running in slow motion or are the firefighters in Indiana unionized? Talk about a lackadaisical approach to a task. :zing:

firstdue
11-05-2009, 06:25 PM
The car already looks like a total loss, and there are no immediate exposure problems. Takes a minute to engage the pump, stretch the line and charge the line. You'll notice it flairs up quite a bit when they hit the interior. Some vehicles have magnesium in the steering column and it takes a lot of water to cool it....and it really lights up when its initially hit with water.

-Ray-
11-06-2009, 03:34 AM
Is the film running in slow motion or are the firefighters in Indiana unionized? Talk about a lackadaisical approach to a task. :zing:

I was curious, then I realized it was a Mustang.
If there were any lives in any danger, it would have been a different video.

travis gore
11-06-2009, 03:48 AM
why hurry it was just a mustang on fire:poof: