PDA

View Full Version : Recall notice for my car

G8JOE
10-27-2009, 06:13 PM
Today in the mail I got a recall notice for: "sealing boots on the front suspension lower control arm ball joints may not seal correctly in cold weather and would crack and contaminate the joints. Causing premature wear of the ball joint, which could cause clunking or rattling noise when the vehicle is driven over rough roads, wheel out of alignment or premature tire wear."
Local dealer will:
replace boots, inspect joints
no charge bfore Dec 1st 2009
courtesy transportation

So I guess i will bring her in soon, winter is just around the corner here...

g8 gt 09

GRRRR8
10-27-2009, 06:15 PM
This is the 1st step to see if it will cure the issue with the lower arms. They will inspect them while its there.

G8JOE
10-27-2009, 06:20 PM
I have 11,400 miles, rotate every 3-4000 miles, stock 19 inch summers at stock psi. So far have not noticed any front end issues, except over very rough roads.

GRRRR8
10-27-2009, 06:21 PM
I have 11,400 miles, rotate every 3-4000 miles, stock 19 inch summers at stock psi. So far have not noticed any front end issues, except over very rough roads.

You mean there are smooth roads in Jersey? :)

Mike P
10-27-2009, 07:09 PM
Has anyone made aftermarket (Pedder's / BMR / Moog) ball joints yet? I'm thinking of getting mine inspected.......

Can we order replacement boots?

Also, anyone got a picture of the boot and ball joint, like how it sits on the car?

BW G8GT
10-28-2009, 06:27 AM
Will all G8 owners get a recall notice for this issue? I haven't received one yet.

ashaal
10-28-2009, 06:33 AM
+1?

KEV-O
10-28-2009, 07:39 AM
Will all G8 owners get a recall notice for this issue? I haven't received one yet.

as far as i know, i think it's only for the 09 models
maybe contact your dealer and find out more info
onstar should give you a monthly statement-e-mail letting you know of any recalls, or services needed for your car

Chewy
10-28-2009, 07:50 AM
No Pedders doesn't have the BJ's YET but said they were going to. I'm thinking we won't see them until January at the earliest.

MOOG actually got shot down by BMR as they said they weren't as good as they used to be.

The boots are available. Greg at Pace has a set or at least had a set of them.

I actually bought all new arms and decided to pump a little more grease under the boot with my syringe. I was surprised how little there was in there. The stock BJ's are also VERY loose new so I don't think they'll last very long.

Chris

BluYa76
10-28-2009, 07:54 AM
Why are they saying no charge if taken care of before Dec. 1st? Did I miss something, I thought this would be a 3yr/36m warranty issue anyways?

jnak
10-28-2009, 08:07 AM
Why are they saying no charge if taken care of before Dec. 1st? Did I miss something, I thought this would be a 3yr/36m warranty issue anyways?

Someone said that was for cars that are out of warranty.

swimman
10-28-2009, 09:40 AM
Just had this done to my '09 GT on Monday. They replace the ball covers. The dealership I brought it to did not have the correct tool and had to borrow an 'improvised' tool from another dealer. They have put an end date on the 'campaign' (as the dealer called it) of 12/1 so the covers can be changed out prior to extended cold weather. Otherwise, there may more problems than a shabby ball joint cover which would cost GM more in the long run.

mooredata
11-03-2009, 05:01 PM
I received the same kind of call today on the OnStar Voice system. Customer Service Rep. said I had till December to get it fixed...? I ask her to send me the recall notice number so I can read about the recall. Waiting for the number. Also had heard something about this from another G8 owner.

white lightning
11-03-2009, 05:47 PM
onstar should give you a monthly statement-e-mail letting you know of any recalls, or services needed for your car

I've got an 09 and haven't gotten a notice. I wonder if the notices are being sent out to owners in the colder climates first?

MIEngineer
11-03-2009, 07:43 PM
Make sure the dealership did not damage your GXP lug caps [for the GXP owners]. Mine are chipped and I will be calling the dealer tomorrow.

sweetair
11-03-2009, 07:55 PM
Has anyone in MD gotten a recall notice? I have not and my service Manager has informed that Maryland is not in a cold climate.

JVH1982
11-05-2009, 08:07 AM
Got mine earlier this week. Gonna schedule service for next week, as well as have them fix the rubber pad on the driver door pull.

Rawyzf
11-05-2009, 10:27 AM
I've seen nothing as of yet either, and I think MN might be a cold climate.

aleatory
11-06-2009, 07:02 PM
sweetair, I'm in Germantown too. Haven't received the recall either. Which dealership do you use?

G8JOE
11-07-2009, 07:16 AM
Well I got my car recall taken care of from BURNS rt 70 CHERRY HILL and actually had a really good experience. They were falling over backwards to get my business and really took care of me. I dropped it off the night before(Till 9pm) and it was done 1035am the next day. They did the recall boots with wheel alignment, full check of fluids, reset my wheel sensors and did all computer and trans updates. They said CAI and catbacks were OK, but before doing anything else check with them and see if it would void the warranty, said just don't go into the motor, no mention of tune but I think that would void it. My 1st good service appointment. Very pleased would use them again and recommend them.

BW G8GT
11-08-2009, 02:57 PM
I've got an 09 and haven't gotten a notice. I wonder if the notices are being sent out to owners in the colder climates first?

That's what it's starting to look like, I don't have a 2009 model, but I wonder if owners of 2009 model on the west coast will receive recall work.

Sandhog
11-12-2009, 04:50 PM
I have a friend who bought a G8 GT about three months ago,also an '09 from the same dealership I bought mine from last March.Both 09 G8 GT's with the 19" wheel package.Only thing different is the color.
He got a recall notice about two months ago and took the car in for the fix.I still havent heard anything and Onstar notices only show the brake light and stuff that was fixed in the first recall.We are both in the same state.Could it be certain cars or whats up here?

JAM
11-13-2009, 05:57 PM
the dates of manufacture dates close as indicated by your VIN#'s?

JAM

NAiLs
11-15-2009, 08:57 AM
I didn't get a recall notice about this yet (I'm in WI). I have had my car in for the lower controls arms to be replaced, and here I am 4 months after they replaced them, and the problem is back.

However, my brother sent me a text with 3 recalls on it, that has something new to me. I don't have the letter in my hands to see if it's talking about my old totaled Grand Prix on the same letter (shouldn't be).

The letter had the 2 more recent recalls on it: Brake Lamp Stays On, TPMS Reprogram. The 3rd notice on the letter, was an Engine Compartment Fire... My brother put 9047 in front of it?? I only know of the 3800's (L36) having this problem, not the L76.

Can anyone chime in on this?

Sandhog
11-24-2009, 05:38 PM
I called the smart folks at GM courtesy besk a few nights ago.After a few choice words when they tried to locate my info,I found out that my car was in fact one of the recalled ones.I made an appointment for Dec.4th to have it fixed.
They never mentioned why I hadn't been notified.

Punisher
11-24-2009, 10:39 PM
I called the smart folks at GM courtesy besk a few nights ago.After a few choice words when they tried to locate my info,I found out that my car was in fact one of the recalled ones.I made an appointment for Dec.4th to have it fixed.
They never mentioned why I hadn't been notified.

how did you find out?

Sandhog
11-25-2009, 06:28 PM
I have a friend who bought a G8 after seeing mine,from the same dealer but a few months later.He got the call a while back ago and asked if I had got the same recall notice.I waited it out until I heard more about it from this site.
The damn funny thing is that the GM courtesy computer had the car listed but the real person couldnt find any G 8 listed for me.He insisted that the only car showing up on my account was a 2003 Impala that was long gone.
After asking the guy if he really thought I was that stupid, that I would be calling about a recall on a Pontiac G8 if I didn't even own one,he checked again and found the other 3 new GM cars in my driveway.
I reckon some stuff you just can't make up.
Anyways its going in on Dec 4th.

tallerthanormal
11-29-2009, 08:03 PM
I took delivery of my 09 G8 GT on October 6th, but I have not received any kind of recall notice....? I am very concerned about this and have contacted my salesperson from the dealership. I hope my car isnt one that needs the repair! If it is, I need to know NOW. :hang:

bobyoung
11-29-2009, 11:51 PM

I have an early 09 and according to my dealer (who looked puzzled) there is no recall for mine and I've had a lot of front end problems.