PDA

View Full Version : Winterize?

wreckwriter
10-23-2009, 01:16 PM
My G8 will spend it's first WV winter mostly, if not entirely, in the garage. What should I do to it? Stabil? Jackstands?

Chewy
10-23-2009, 01:18 PM
Seafoam and get the tires off the ground. Seafoam is a better stabilizer IMO but either will work.

I'd also put a Deltran Battery Tender Jr. on it and make sure the oil is fresh.

Chris

Devilish34
10-23-2009, 01:22 PM
Seafoam and get the tires off the ground. Seafoam is a better stabilizer IMO but either will work.

Chris
^this and start it once-twice for 10-15mins a month

-Ray-
10-23-2009, 04:05 PM
I removed the battery. I will also remove it this Winter. If you are not going to drive it, don't start it. Unless you get it to operating temp completely, you'll add moisture to the oil.
I put 51 lbs of air in the tires and rolled it twice. I had no issues with my tires when I brought it out in the spring.
I also added a bottle of Stabil to a full tank of gas. No issues driving it after either.

MoonPie
10-23-2009, 04:11 PM

Chris

I used Seafoam on my 5.7L Hemi Charger and both GXP's I've had, right before I put the catch cans on all three to clean out any accumulated gunk. I was told or read somewhere that seafoam is pretty harsh, is this true and how often should I use it if at all? Wreck, sorry for going off topic, I couldn't advise you on storage anyways, plus I wouldn't trust my opinion on anything other than breaking shit. Thanks.

todds87ss
10-23-2009, 04:46 PM
I removed the battery. I will also remove it this Winter. If you are not going to drive it, don't start it. Unless you get it to operating temp completely, you'll add moisture to the oil.
I put 51 lbs of air in the tires and rolled it twice. I had no issues with my tires when I brought it out in the spring.
I also added a bottle of Stabil to a full tank of gas. No issues driving it after either.

this. Plus using a quality synthetic oil will minimize how much moisture gets absorbed in the oil.

Chewy
10-24-2009, 06:18 AM
Yeah a true syn oil won't get acidic like dino. I wouldn't start it either. Bad idea.

I use Seafoam in EVERYTHING with an engine. Boat, waverunner, all my 4 wheels vehicles and 2 wheeled vehicles.

I've never had an issue with it.

G8GT721
10-24-2009, 07:28 AM
i read somewhere but never done any of these, that you should park the car on top of old carpet or a tarp to prevent moisture from the concrete floor. And also use dryer sheets to deter mice from making nests.

MoonPie
10-24-2009, 01:48 PM
Yeah a true syn oil won't get acidic like dino. I wouldn't start it either. Bad idea.

I use Seafoam in EVERYTHING with an engine. Boat, waverunner, all my 4 wheels vehicles and 2 wheeled vehicles.

I've never had an issue with it.

Cool, thanks for the input. I felt like Seafoam did its job when I used it so I was surprised to hear that it could potentially harm your engine. Good to know you haven't had any problems with it.

Chewy
10-24-2009, 02:59 PM
i read somewhere but never done any of these, that you should park the car on top of old carpet or a tarp to prevent moisture from the concrete floor. And also use dryer sheets to deter mice from making nests.

The carpet is necessary if you don't use jack stands. I've used carpet with my bikes before.

Chris

pokey
10-24-2009, 03:40 PM
Does the carpet help protect the tires from flat spoting? I have some 1" rubber excersise matting I was thinking about using..
BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.77 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105

Chewy
10-24-2009, 04:15 PM
Does the carpet help protect the tires from flat spoting? I have some 1" rubber excersise matting I was thinking about using..
BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.77 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105

No it's because the moisture in the concrete can ruin tires. It's more of a motor cycle issue IMO as there are only two contact patches.

I'd use stands. The goal is to also remove the weight from the springs.

-Ray-
10-24-2009, 05:05 PM
I didn't park on carpet. I am using Royal purple though.