PDA

View Full Version : Not too impressed

Art708
10-07-2008, 11:40 AM
Ok... Took the car to have exhaust, cai, and tune done today.

Base run stock... 299.56 HP
Installed Magnaflow Catback... NO Change at all
Installed Roto-Fab.... 307.23...Big Whoop!
Did tune....best 326.86 HP 342.98

All in all it feels like a big waste money if you figure dollar per HP. I was mostly disappointed in the results of the exhaust and intake.

wreckwriter
10-07-2008, 11:46 AM
Who did your tune? Were they experienced on G8s?

Andy@Livernois
10-07-2008, 11:47 AM
as everyone here can attest there is way more to the performance of these cars then just the HP number... The question I have is for you "best" HP run, was it 326.86 or 342.98 or the the 342.98 torque?

Btw, now its time to change your sig... :D

Chewy
10-07-2008, 11:47 AM
Hard to beat the VMS tune IMO. I'd like to go see them and have it done in person though... We'll see...

No change with exhaust is hard to believe... You'll usually get something...:blink:

G8V8
10-07-2008, 11:57 AM

All in all it feels like a big waste money if you figure dollar per HP. I was mostly disappointed in the results of the exhaust and intake.

I have only the R-F intake, VMS canned tunes (ECM and TCM) and the VMS HSRK (faster, remote IAT sensor) and run 4.46 0-60 mph and did a 13.262 2106.77 last weekend.

If the Tuner doesn't KNOW how to tune G8s and G8 trannys specifically, I suspect you are leaving a LOT on the dyno floor.

Art708
10-07-2008, 12:03 PM
as everyone here can attest there is way more to the performance of these cars then just the HP number... The question I have is for you "best" HP run, was it 326.86 or 342.98 or the the 342.98 torque?

Btw, now its time to change your sig... :D

342.98 ft.lbs torque..... sorry I forgot to type it. Base torque was 322.97.

This was the first G8 this guy has done although he tunes GMs and races Vettes and Camaros. I just think that a 26hp and 20ft.lbs of TQ isn't much for a couple of grand expenditure.

-Ray-
10-07-2008, 12:20 PM
I didn't expect much from the cat back. You also didn't post what octane the tune was for.
I agree that there is more there though.

GRRRR8
10-07-2008, 12:37 PM
I think there is at least 10 more HP in it, but take it to teh track and get a time on it. If it is under 13.4 you are good unless its 60 degrees or less, then you should see a 13.2ish.

TexasG8
10-07-2008, 12:38 PM
Most people are dropping almost 1 second in the 1/4 mile with just the R-F Cai, Vms Tune, & Hsrk.....

GTPprix
10-07-2008, 12:47 PM
I would be more worried about leaving the trans on the floor than horsepower.... You would NOT believe the stuff we've had to "fix" in the past few months LOL

G8V8
10-07-2008, 02:01 PM
I would be more worried about leaving the trans on the floor than horsepower.... You would NOT believe the stuff we've had to "fix" in the past few months LOL

Art, get a Vector Tune. You will NOT regret it. honest!

Art708
10-07-2008, 02:59 PM
It's a shame to have to pay for 2 tunes but I tried to get it done first hand locally. The engine threw a code on the way home from dinner. I plugged in the DashHawk and it said both banks were running lean. I think I'll go in the morning and have him put the stock tune back in and order one from Vector.

wreckwriter
10-07-2008, 03:01 PM
It's a shame to have to pay for 2 tunes but I tried to get it done first hand locally. The engine threw a code on the way home from dinner. I plugged in the DashHawk and it said both banks were running lean. I think I'll go in the morning and have him put the stock tune back in and order one from Vector.

Damn. Hope they saved your stock tune.

GTPprix
10-07-2008, 03:15 PM
we can fix it if they didnt, weve gotten good at that lately ;)

wreckwriter
10-07-2008, 03:20 PM
Yea but driving around lean enough to throw a code doesn't sound like a great idea....

Art708
10-07-2008, 03:50 PM
He saved the stock tune last week when we did a stock dyno pull so I don't think it'll be a problem He's only about 5 miles from my house so I don't think I'll harm much driving there tomorrow morning.

Art708
10-07-2008, 03:52 PM
I guess it takes a while to order the Vector tune and wait for the gizmo to install it, huh? There are things I have to do in advance of ordering the tune?

locrzn#92
10-07-2008, 03:52 PM
Hey, I was messing around with some filters, you know different placements and sizes. I thru the same code and I don't have a tune. If you know a shop that can scan it and then reset the code, try that first or have the guy check the code that tuned it and reset it. I did that at our shop and haven't had a problem since. I put my set up on that I mocked up for spectre and its fine. The code also said the banks were lean. Thats not saying the shop didn't mess up your tune, it might be worth a try. After we reset the code, it didn't show up at my dealer afterwards either, my dealer is full of gear heads and dirt track guys, so, they wouldn't care if I put a tune in it. They would even clear the code if I couldn't do it myself.
good luck

G8V8
10-07-2008, 04:02 PM
I guess it takes a while to order the Vector tune and wait for the gizmo to install it, huh? There are things I have to do in advance of ordering the tune?

You can order a tuned ECM on a core exchange unless they have changed that. Then you can rent the FlashExpress and install the TCM tune when you get it. VMS can work out what you need.

Chris, what about a competitive upgrade deal to bring another G8 into the fold?

GTPprix
10-07-2008, 04:36 PM

Yes you need to get into the FXP queue, the sooner you order the sooner you get the unit :)

G8GTlawride
10-07-2008, 04:42 PM

Not much improvement with the MF catbacks WHEN you make other mods as you describe. Only noise. But if that is what you are looking for then they are great. When adding long tube headers which are about twice as much as the MF catbacks you get a considerable increase in HP. The factory mufflers only lose about 2 HP over aftermarket or none going this route.

Get the LT's and get the HP you were expecting (oh yea, get the VMS ECM/TCM tune, huge difference!!).

Art708
10-07-2008, 04:58 PM
Hey, I was messing around with some filters, you know different placements and sizes. I thru the same code and I don't have a tune. If you know a shop that can scan it and then reset the code, try that first or have the guy check the code that tuned it and reset it. I did that at our shop and haven't had a problem since. I put my set up on that I mocked up for spectre and its fine. The code also said the banks were lean. Thats not saying the shop didn't mess up your tune, it might be worth a try. After we reset the code, it didn't show up at my dealer afterwards either, my dealer is full of gear heads and dirt track guys, so, they wouldn't care if I put a tune in it. They would even clear the code if I couldn't do it myself.
good luck

I can reset the code but I want to have it checked. It also seems that even though it codes lean I'm not getting the mpg readings I was with the stock tune. I'm losing mpg somewhere.

GTPprix
10-07-2008, 05:15 PM
I can reset the code but I want to have it checked. It also seems that even though it codes lean I'm not getting the mpg readings I was with the stock tune. I'm losing mpg somewhere.

From the fuel trims pegging from adding so much fuel to compensate for the leaning out...

Art708
10-07-2008, 05:21 PM
So while I'm here bitching... If I send in my ECM to be tuned, is there just one unit that controls engine and transmission or are there 2 separate control modules? And just where is this sucker......on the right fender panel under some stuff...shiny with fins?

Panther 2
10-07-2008, 05:25 PM
The numbers you gave 326.86 hp and 342.98 tq , are they corrected numbers ? Tuning perimeters use on corvettes and camaros ,are not the same as the G8, Bill@HPtuners has posted this.There is now 300 members on this Forum, at least 200 have a VMS tune,if it's not right ,they will help you make it right.

GTPprix
10-07-2008, 05:30 PM
So while I'm here bitching... If I send in my ECM to be tuned, is there just one unit that controls engine and transmission or are there 2 separate control modules? And just where is this sucker......on the right fender panel under some stuff...shiny with fins?

Two seperate, you already found the ECM :) The TCM is inside the trans, we really recommend the FXP unit to flash both modules at the same time to get the full tune.

Art708
10-07-2008, 06:05 PM
Two seperate, you already found the ECM :) The TCM is inside the trans, we really recommend the FXP unit to flash both modules at the same time to get the full tune.

Sigh..... nothing's easy. Guess I'll have to go with the FXP....if I'm smart enough to figure all this shit out.

GTPprix
10-07-2008, 06:07 PM
Art if you can get attachements on your email you can handle this :)

G8V8
10-07-2008, 06:12 PM
Sigh..... nothing's easy. Guess I'll have to go with the FXP....if I'm smart enough to figure all this shit out.

Art if you can get attachements on your email you can handle this :)

It really is not difficult. You should have a lap top. Mine is XP. Don't know about vista.

Art708
10-08-2008, 02:59 AM
We have Vista on one laptop and XP on the other and XP on the desktop computer so I guess I have the proper equipment.

TexasG8
10-08-2008, 05:24 AM
Is there anyway you can scan the fuel trims (LTFT's) with the dash hawk to see if it reads 16.4 at idle to see if you have a vacuum leak.

wreckwriter
10-08-2008, 05:27 AM
Dashhawk will read fuel trims, long and short term, but they change so fast it's nearly impossible to get a good reading. They do not sit at a stable number (at least mine don't).

TexasG8
10-08-2008, 05:30 AM
If you have a vaccum leak the LTFT's will peg at 16.4 at idle.

wreckwriter
10-08-2008, 05:37 AM
Ahhhh, OK, I misunderstood, thought you were saying it should give that reading if no leak. That's good info, thanks.

GTPprix
10-08-2008, 06:01 AM
If you have a vaccum leak the LTFT's will peg at 16.4 at idle.

16.4 isnt pegged, they go into the 20's ;)

TexasG8
10-08-2008, 10:22 AM
I know they go over 16.4 but with the W-body cars when the car has a vaccum leak it will shoot straight up to 16.4 at idle.

Wreckwriter
Do your LTFT's lock in at 0 during WOT?

wreckwriter
10-08-2008, 10:24 AM
I know they go over 16.4 but with the W-body cars when the car has a vaccum leak it will shoot straight up to 16.4 at idle.

Wreckwriter
Do your LTFT's lock in at 0 during WOT?

Honestly I don't know. Should they?

TexasG8
10-08-2008, 10:28 AM
Well at least when I tune the W-body cars they do.
If you are locked in say -2.5 @ wot the car will add fuel.
And if you are locked in say 2.5 @ wot the car will pull fuel.
In a perfect world you want the LTFT's to stay as close to 0 as possible for the idle, cruise, and WOT.
I think VMS needs to chime in on this one.......:rocking:

Art708
10-08-2008, 11:44 AM
I went back to the tuner this morning. He checked and found it was running a bit lean at low speeds. He reset some stuff and it seems to be working ok now. Although I'm going to have to drive it a while to see if my gas mileage has gone down. If so, then I'm gonna have to do something about that.