PDA

View Full Version : Adam's Polishes JunkMan Kit w/ Porter Cable

majesticix
10-20-2009, 07:43 AM
Brand: Adams Polishes - Porter Cable
Price: $342.03 after shipping
Purchased From: www.adamspolishes.com

Installation: Other than attaching the provided Adam's polishing pads, there is no installation. Pads attach easily and stay on!

Quality of Part: 10 for Adams, 9 for PC
Product Performance: 10
Would you Recommend to Others: Definitely

Any Other Comments:
Surprise surprise, Adam's comes through again with a supreme product. Got a clear coat scratch? Doing some touch up painting and want to sand your paint smooth? GET THIS KIT! Truly remarkable at what the PC can remove with Adam's pads and polishes.

Word of warning however, this is VERY time consuming. If you plan to REALLY detail your whole car, expect two FULL days of detailing (clean, clay, polish & wax). I've been doing panels at a time since I don't have that amount of time in a single day with a 1 year old...and I'm still not done!

The results are nothing short of amazing. I had a serious clear coat scratch from removing caked bird crap on my roof. Rubbing Compound by hand helped, but wasn't perfect. Hit it with the PC and it's back to new! I did some paint touch up, sanded my paint smooth, and the PC kit brought it back to life.

Polishes and Buttery Wax work wonders. Bucket and guard work great for removing particles from their sudsy wash pad...and the waterless wash is a perfect compliment to the detail spray. All Purpose Cleaner, kick ass. Detail Clay...wow. You will not find a disappointing product from this kit.

The only fault I have with the system is the removable handle on the Porter Cable. The vibration is killer. On a low setting it is tolerable, but at 4500+ your hand will go numb quick. Solution: don't hold on to the handle. There is no vibration felt when holding onto the PC itself...even at 5 or 6000 oscillations.

Pretty insignificant. Adam's products and service are nothing short of a miracle. They are clearly the best vendor I've ever dealt with, period. Their products are incredible and well worth the money. I've spent more than I ever should for cleaning products and I don't have a single regret.

Chewy
10-20-2009, 08:09 AM
Did it come with Adam's Super Machine Wax? THAT is the best stuff to use when getting ready for the winter. It's actually a sealant so it lasts quite a bit longer than the Buttery does. It doesn't offer the depth of the Americana but close IMO.

It goes on with the machine and can be taken off with the machine as well but I find it easier by hand with a polishing towel.

majesticix
10-20-2009, 08:17 AM
Surprisingly, no it doesn't. You have your choice with the buttery wax or the Americana...I'm surprised they didn't offer it with the machine wax for a machine system. I'll have to pick some up.

Chewy
10-20-2009, 08:34 AM
Yeah AJ (Junkman) doesn't use his car in the winter weather. Buttery is great wax but it doesn't last as long as the SMW and APW.

I did my Subie with the SMW on Sunday and it came out beautiful. Make sure to do the wheels too.

Chris

majesticix
10-20-2009, 09:31 AM
Good info to know...looks like I'll be buying some more product!

who?me?
02-05-2010, 09:48 PM
I might have to pick up this kit. Have you ever done this before or is it your first time? it worries me a little that i might mess something up.

Fatdaddy
02-06-2010, 07:21 AM
I might have to pick up this kit. Have you ever done this before or is it your first time? it worries me a little that i might mess something up.

You won't mess it up. Nothing but smooth, scratch free shiny goodness.

majesticix
02-20-2010, 06:52 PM
yeah I never did it before. You can't mess it up as Fatdaddy says. They design their stuff for the weekend warriors...not the pro's (not to say this stuff doesn't give you a pro look). I met up with another G8 guy who had less than 2k miles on his car and saw mine and said, "what the hell do you do to make your car look so good? It looks better than mine (and his was spotless). "

Thank you Adams.

polo
02-20-2010, 09:33 PM
The vibration is killer. On a low setting it is tolerable, but at 4500+ your hand will go numb quick. Solution: don't hold on to the handle. There is no vibration felt when holding onto the PC itself...even at 5 or 6000 oscillations.

You know what's weird? I detailed my car (6-8 hours with the PC), and then did the same to my wife's car the following weekend. The vibration from the PC tore my hands up when I did my car, but not when I did my wife's. After doing my car, the next day at work I could hardly open and close my fingers. They were so freakin' sore. The day after doing my wife's car, my hands weren't sore at all. I guess they just got used to the PC?

(oh, and both times was without the handle. I haven't even tried it with the handle on yet)

Great review, by the way. I agree with it 100%.

Rick Maddux
02-21-2010, 08:20 AM
It looks like I need to order a kit. What kit should I buy? Does the paint correction kit seem to be complete? I don't want to spend that kind of money needlessly.

polo
02-21-2010, 09:31 AM
It looks like I need to order a kit. What kit should I buy? Does the paint correction kit seem to be complete? I don't want to spend that kind of money needlessly.

This kit has everything you need for paint correction, with the exception of a clay bar. You can pick a clay bar up from Adams, or any local auto parts store. A few extra microfiber towels wouldn't hurt either.

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-338-adams-7424xp-dual-action-car-polishing-kit.aspx

If you don't need the PC, they have this one without the PC:

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-478-adams-da-car-polishing-accessory-kit.aspx

Don't forget to use discount code "GRRRR8" for 10% off.

Demos-Analem-Kratos
02-21-2010, 10:57 AM
So you think the best kit to buy is the junk man kit if i need a PC still? i don't want to spend crazy amounts of money but i want to be able to maintain my paint! I'm anal when it comes to keeping my car clean! I don't have paint in bad shape but if you think this kit is good to have i would go with the junk man anyways.

majesticix
02-21-2010, 11:41 AM
You know what's weird? I detailed my car (6-8 hours with the PC), and then did the same to my wife's car the following weekend. The vibration from the PC tore my hands up when I did my car, but not when I did my wife's. After doing my car, the next day at work I could hardly open and close my fingers. They were so freakin' sore. The day after doing my wife's car, my hands weren't sore at all. I guess they just got used to the PC?

(oh, and both times was without the handle. I haven't even tried it with the handle on yet)

Thanks! Yeah the handle is MUCH worse. I took the handle off and it was much better. Depending on the setting you choose will really effect it. I was a little conservative and stuck with 4500 or so at max. I may need to be a bit more aggressive at winter and jump to 5000+ for some parts.

majesticix
02-21-2010, 11:47 AM
So you think the best kit to buy is the junk man kit if i need a PC still? i don't want to spend crazy amounts of money but i want to be able to maintain my paint! I'm anal when it comes to keeping my car clean! I don't have paint in bad shape but if you think this kit is good to have i would go with the junk man anyways.

If you want to PC your car, here are the essentials:

Detail Spray and Clay bar (for prep after you've washed your car)
PC Kit with Adam's Pads
Swirl & Haze Remover
Fine Machine Polish
Machine Wax (or Buttery Wax)
Microfiber Towels (you'll want a few of these)
All Purpose Cleaner (for cleaning the pads when you're done...works great)

I believe that is it for the essentials. The Junkman kit was a pretty good deal for me since I needed all of that, plus a few other things.

Just remember, this takes TIME. So make sure you have it hahaha. :)

Rick Maddux
02-22-2010, 04:40 PM
Let's poll the group. At least those who see this. Do you hand wash your car? If you don't have a bucket and all the goodies from Adam's would you spend the money to buy the bucket and grit guard? To me..it just makes sense.

majesticix
02-22-2010, 04:54 PM
It's worth it to me...obviously haha. You really need not only the PC kit, pads, and formula, but also need the clay package. If you buy it all separately, you're actually saving money with this kit.

Rick Maddux
02-23-2010, 04:12 AM
Thanks Majesticix! I wanted the opinion from someone who knows. 10 percent discount is still in effect I hope.

majesticix
02-23-2010, 07:04 AM
Yup, you should be good to go.

dthornton8
02-23-2010, 10:56 AM
If you want to PC your car,

forgive me if this is a dumb question but what exactly does PC mean? Obviously it has something to do with detailing your car I just want to know what the acronym stands for.

thanks

GPDAN
02-23-2010, 11:56 AM
Adams FTW! Been using there stuff for 2 years already and i cant get enough of their stuff.

TooManyHobbies
02-23-2010, 12:00 PM
forgive me if this is a dumb question but what exactly does PC mean? Obviously it has something to do with detailing your car I just want to know what the acronym stands for.

thanks

Porter Cable - the manufacturer of the polisher. They also design/manufacture lots of woodworking and construction power tools.

Demos-Analem-Kratos
02-23-2010, 04:12 PM

thanks

Porter Cable...its a type of buffer with adjustable speeds. I have not used one yet but i hope to in the near future.:brock:

Rick Maddux
02-24-2010, 05:06 PM
Yep...Me too. Probly next week.

Rick Maddux
02-26-2010, 06:37 PM
I pulled the trigger today and ordered the Junkman Kit with PC.

Ben@Adams
03-02-2010, 11:06 PM
Good call... you won't be disappointed in the results you can achieve... of course keep my info handy. If you need any help along the way shoot me an email (Dylan@AdamsPolishes.com) and I'll be happy to answer any questions you might have.

GeoffA
03-03-2010, 01:44 AM
Brand: Adams Polishes - Porter Cable
Price: $342.03 after shipping
Purchased From: www.adamspolishes.com

The only fault I have with the system is the removable handle on the Porter Cable. The vibration is killer. On a low setting it is tolerable, but at 4500+ your hand will go numb quick. Solution: don't hold on to the handle. There is no vibration felt when holding onto the PC itself...even at 5 or 6000 oscillations.

Good call... you won't be disappointed in the results you can achieve... of course keep my info handy. If you need any help along the way shoot me an email (Dylan@AdamsPolishes.com) and I'll be happy to answer any questions you might have.

Reading this has me interested also, I was kind of shying away from purchasing this but now I'm considering it.

I was watching the vids, and in the second one Junkman states make sure you put the washer on the PC, this will prevent the shaking. Did you two skip a step???

Just made me think of it when reading through...

polo
03-03-2010, 04:16 AM
Reading this has me interested also, I was kind of shying away from purchasing this but now I'm considering it.

I was watching the vids, and in the second one Junkman states make sure you put the washer on the PC, this will prevent the shaking. Did you two skip a step???

Just made me think of it when reading through...

Nah, I've got the washers on mine. There's two (one comes with the PC and one comes with the pads), and you're supposed to use both of them.

I promise you won't be disappointed with buying the PC. I always hand waxed and never knew that I was missing anything until recently. It's quite amazing how easily the PC takes care of swirl marks and light scratches.