PDA

View Full Version : Is Everyone Really that Dissappointed in the Car

cavecreekrich
10-16-2009, 01:18 PM
I have been away from the board a bit but notice a big bunch of negatives compared to a year ago when I joined after purchasing my 2009 GT. Knock on wood, but I have been very pleased with the car. I have 19k miles and the only issue was a bad CD player replaced by dealer and the pain in the ass tire pressure sensor.
The car is what I expected. Not as refined as a BMW or Acura but a decent ride. It's not a real race car in stock form nor a fuel miser. My family road trips freqeuently and it is perfect for the highway. 23 MPG cruising at 80mph in AZ with a inadvertant blast to 128mph that my mother in law didn't even notice. It just eats up highway like no other car I have ever owned.

Are people really having all these issues with tranny's and suspensions. I am talking stock only. Moding is a whole new story and we need to put that group in a different category.

So the question is. Does the stock G8 suck? I don't think so at least not during my 19k miles.

Chewy
10-16-2009, 01:22 PM
I love to hate it... If it wasn't for the suspension I wouldn't have a decent complaint but I have been screwing with this suspension for several months now and it's become a HUGE PITA!

Chris

GRRRR8
10-16-2009, 01:23 PM
Even with the suspension issues I love the car. I guess its different for me as I do all my own work and dont care about warranty.

bwooten492
10-16-2009, 01:28 PM
as the car sits now i like it. Price of parts suck but besides that i like the car. They just need a few things in stock form and they move nicely.
Mozilla/5.0 440x240 Samsung SCH-U940 NetFront/3.4

r33pwrd
10-16-2009, 01:29 PM
I like the car for what I paid for it... If it was 40K I would not be happy with it.

-Ray-
10-16-2009, 01:34 PM
I love my G8. Most people who ride in it or look at it do too.

caretaker
10-16-2009, 01:40 PM
Ditto on what Ray said.

GRRRR8
10-16-2009, 01:40 PM

Thats because they think its mine. :nah:

-Ray-
10-16-2009, 01:41 PM
Sigh.............

zosoboogie
10-16-2009, 01:41 PM
After all my mods and the issues that I have I love my Audi r8 slayer!!

OmahaGTP
10-16-2009, 01:52 PM
All the suspension talk on here makes me incredibly nervous anytime I hear anything I might deem "questionable" while I am driving. So good so far!

*knock on wood*

While riding in other vehicles, I find myself hearing noises and saying to myself "if I heard that in my car, I'd of flipped" even when the noise wasn't anything to be worried about.

I need to relax...

jnak
10-16-2009, 02:05 PM
I love my G8. The suspension issues are driving me nuts too, but for the price there is no car that I would buy in its place.

Sidewinder
10-16-2009, 02:18 PM
I love my G8 base. I do wish Garber Auto Mall could fix the passenger airbag situation. I get some heads turning but not like my old ride. My Tacoma got looks and people would stop and ask about it all the time.
http://forum.grrrr8.net/picture.php?albumid=108&pictureid=548
http://forum.grrrr8.net/picture.php?albumid=108&pictureid=665

Devilish34
10-16-2009, 02:21 PM
Even with the suspension issues I love the car. I guess its different for me as I do all my own work and dont care about warranty.

ball joints or ????

R.Penguin
10-16-2009, 02:25 PM
I have been away from the board a bit but notice a big bunch of negatives compared to a year ago when I joined after purchasing my 2009 GT. Knock on wood, but I have been very pleased with the car. I have 19k miles and the only issue was a bad CD player replaced by dealer and the pain in the ass tire pressure sensor.
The car is what I expected. Not as refined as a BMW or Acura but a decent ride. It's not a real race car in stock form nor a fuel miser. My family road trips freqeuently and it is perfect for the highway. 23 MPG cruising at 80mph in AZ with a inadvertant blast to 128mph that my mother in law didn't even notice. It just eats up highway like no other car I have ever owned.

Are people really having all these issues with tranny's and suspensions. I am talking stock only. Moding is a whole new story and we need to put that group in a different category.

So the question is. Does the stock G8 suck? I don't think so at least not during my 19k miles.
Both of mine have been just peachy!

Devilish34
10-16-2009, 02:26 PM
I like the car for what I paid for it... If it was 40K I would not be happy with it.
^This I paid under 25k for mine so with current mods I'm around 32k.

+1

Devilish34
10-16-2009, 02:27 PM
Sigh.............

+ infinity

pha|anx
10-16-2009, 02:59 PM
I'm lovin' it.

99-LS1-SS
10-16-2009, 03:07 PM
I was a little put out with the vibration but now I'm back on track and back to bliss.

SRG963
10-16-2009, 03:10 PM
I love mine and plan on keeping her around for a long time.

Monty
10-16-2009, 03:34 PM
Had the car a year now. The only problem was a warped rotor. Everything is smooth as silk.

BW G8GT
10-16-2009, 04:01 PM
I'm very happy with my G8. Mine is totally stock. Only real complaint I have is the steering wheel shake, but I didn't really notice it until I changed my tires and wheels last year.

Wheels were high speed balanced, but still a slight shaking.

GAG8
10-16-2009, 04:08 PM
Love my G8 GT!

99-LS1-SS
10-16-2009, 04:08 PM
Well, it appears to be uranimous, we still like our G8's.

GRRRR8
10-16-2009, 04:18 PM
ball joints or ????

I have ZERO issues with mine except for the brake lights staying on intermittently. I do only have 4400 miles too.

I drove it today and walked it sideways all the way through 3rd gear :woohoo:
Didnt hear any balljoints while doing that. :)

GAG8
10-16-2009, 04:26 PM
I have ZERO issues with mine except for the brake lights staying on intermittently. I do only have 4400 miles too.

I hear that the dealership can fix that brake light calibration issue for you. :)
Still waiting on a GRRRR8 drag race vid...:watch:

bobyoung
10-16-2009, 04:29 PM
I still love mine too, especially since I can now hear the motor.

GRRRR8
10-16-2009, 04:30 PM
I hear that the dealership can fix that brake light calibration issue for you. :)
Still waiting on a GRRRR8 drag race vid...:watch:

Trying to avoid the dealer. Can you imagine the look on there face when they start it or open the hood. :eek:

Going to try and have the line loc and trans cooler done next weekend. Then just a few tweaks and I will take it to the track. Whatever it is it is and then I will finish it and the nitrous for when the track reopens.

99-LS1-SS
10-16-2009, 04:32 PM
Trying to avoid the dealer. Can you imagine the look on there face when they start it or open the hood. :eek:

Going to try and have the line loc and trans cooler done next weekend. Then just a few tweaks and I will take it to the track. Whatever it is it is and then I will finish it and the nitrous for when the track reopens.

I'm not falling for the track trick! :D

Says the pot to the kettle!

GRRRR8
10-16-2009, 04:34 PM
I'm not falling for the track trick! :D

Says the pot to the kettle!

I have to go and quiet the troops. Its just been a very fucked year if you will. :wacko:

99-LS1-SS
10-16-2009, 04:37 PM
I have to go and quiet the troops. Its just been a very fucked year if you will. :wacko:

I hear you. I'm just harassing you. I can't wait to get mine to the track now that it won't shake apart at 73 mph!

Devilish34
10-16-2009, 04:50 PM

Did that Tuesday night but I let out before 3rd hit

pokey
10-16-2009, 07:06 PM
As said before for what I paid I'm happy if I paid anywhere close to 40k I'd be wishing I bought something else (BMW).
BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.77 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105

SpeedRacerX
10-16-2009, 07:08 PM
Love this car. Issues are the oil leak and some vibration that I can't duplicate myself some days.

Other than that, for the money - it is (as my kids would say) a BEAST.

99-LS1-SS
10-16-2009, 07:09 PM
BMW's look cool and all but they really aren't worth the money. My in-laws have had 3 of them recently and they have all had issues. I'll be the first to say that the BMW designers know what they are doing but they really aren't much better than anything American made. Those days are gone. I would rather have a CTS-V than the M5.

bdahlg68
10-16-2009, 07:19 PM
I miss a few things about my E90 330i - the transmission and the fact that my 330i felt like it weighed about 2000lbs! I do love my G8, but me and the 6L80E, we are not friends. I work for ZF, and actually ask constantly for them to prototype a 6HP swap for me. No luck so far.

My biggest complaint is GM's warranty sensitivity. I mean, there are 335 E90's running around with 350-400 rwhp that don't have the dealership / OE warranty issues that we have in the same rwhp range.

Beyond that, I only wish Pontiac was still around to sell these so we would have better aftermarket support!

pokey
10-16-2009, 07:39 PM
I'm not sure why I have a hard-on for a BMW 3 Series? If I had one I'm sure I could find somrthing wrong with it! On a different note the G8 is sure running strong now that the temps are dropping in WI. Makes me forget about things like my rattling door and screwy suspension..o and that ticking I get sometimes when I start it.

bdahlg68
10-16-2009, 07:52 PM
I'm not sure why I have a hard-on for a BMW 3 Series? If I had one I'm sure I could find somrthing wrong with it! On a different note the G8 is sure running strong now that the temps are dropping in WI. Makes me forget about things like my rattling door and screwy suspension..o and that ticking I get sometimes when I start it.

Lol - there is something wrong with the 3-series. the farkin price tag. It is a small car. The back seat is not comfy if someone tall is in the front. The trunk isn't that big either. But.... i averaged 22 mpg and got 30 on the highway with 255hp and an ~5.9 sec 0-60. They are great cars, though. Alot of attention to detail. You'd be hard pressed to find something on a 3-series that would make you scratch your head and wonder why they do it the way they do.

KenV
10-16-2009, 09:17 PM
Aside from coming to me, brand new, with an empty windshield washer reservoir (?!?!???) this car has been awe-inspiring. No shakes or shudders, and dead-smooth throughout the speedometer range. A friend with a BMW 745 thought it was a 5 series at first. Then I hit the gas. Fixed that, dead stock.

Punisher
10-16-2009, 09:50 PM
Yep I love mine too...havent had any problems with shaking or any other problems posted from different members...hope it stays like that too

esinger
10-17-2009, 02:15 AM
Mine's been an absolutely great car from day one. Only warranty issue was one LED that didn't work in the third brake light. I'll probably hit 10K this weekend, which is surprising since I really didn't think I'd put that many miles on it in less than a year.

PostalCherokee
10-17-2009, 08:31 AM
My only complaint is the tranny. I started having the flare issue and it still just doesn't shift right. that and I don't have enough mod money!:poof:

wreckwriter
10-17-2009, 08:35 AM
I'm very happy with mine. The biggest thing I'm pissed about is the dumping of Pontiac by that moron Fritz.

Bretz56
10-17-2009, 09:02 AM
My only complaint so far, every time i pull in the garage to clean it, there is another chip in the paint!!! This is rediculous! Is there anything warranty wise, that we can do? Other than that, 4,700 miles of driving bliss so far.

Executor999
10-17-2009, 01:25 PM
I'm very happy with mine. The biggest thing I'm pissed about is the dumping of Pontiac by that moron Fritz.

+1. All I've ever bought were Pontiacs. Now what?

grandmacpubah
10-17-2009, 04:45 PM
no issues other than I have some weird clunk after the pedders track II install...I could have the driveshaft vibration, but it could be in my head too idk...waiting to see if it gets worse or not lol...

I love this car...by far the most fun I've ever had with a car.

djo165
10-17-2009, 08:53 PM
I got just over 6k on the odometer, and still like my GT. No problems so far, but I do miss having a manual transmission. But then if I had bought a GXP manual, I'd be complaining about horrible mileage and the price of premium gas, so I guess there is always something. :mellow:

Rayvan
10-17-2009, 09:35 PM
Love this car. 14,000 miles, no issues. Nuthin'

gearhead455
10-17-2009, 09:49 PM
Over 13,000 miles,more than happy,but that bass amp mod started a vibration on the rear decklid(maybe that's why the factory had it turned down low so you didn't have any rattles) on the pass. side,need to investigate. Lol :)

bobyoung
10-17-2009, 11:39 PM
Over 13,000 miles,more than happy,but that bass amp mod started a vibration on the rear decklid(maybe that's why the factory had it turned down low so you didn't have any rattles) on the pass. side,need to investigate. Lol :)

Check the two units hanging down from the deck,they're right there when you open your trunk, the XM box and the other one. mine were both loose, I just undid one side of each and stuffed a small bit of rag between the top and the deck, stopped all the vibration which drove me nuts too.

bobyoung
10-17-2009, 11:40 PM

Yup, me too and I never pass an opportunity to state the fact that Fritz is a pussy. Big mistake there and they'll pay for it too in the end.

gearhead455
10-18-2009, 03:17 AM
Check the two units hanging down from the deck,they're right there when you open your trunk, the XM box and the other one. mine were both loose, I just undid one side of each and stuffed a small bit of rag between the top and the deck, stopped all the vibration which drove me nuts too.

Thanks,sounds like this mornings project.:woohoo:

Chooch
10-19-2009, 05:01 AM
Other then the ball joint issue, mine has been perfecto.. The dealer has been great to get me in and out when the ball joint parts came in the first time and as well, they just ordered the other side for me even though they were pretty tight, they want to replace it. Other wise my "4 door Corvette" is as quick, comfortable as day I got it and it has with 19k on the clock now. Now next step is winter tires and wheels as the Stock 18 inch Goodyear RS-A's are nothing more the wheel protectors, although I must say they have been wearing good. That surprised me

00 Trans Ram
10-19-2009, 06:41 AM
You could add up all of y'alls mileage, and it might be more than me. I've got 34,xxx miles on it, and add about 100 per day. We're talking HARD driving, too. I'm on my 3rd set of tires. And, I wear out the fronts as fast as the rears (hard turning, hard braking).

I haven't been on a road course in my racecar in over 6 months, so I suspect that I'm taking out my frustration in the G8. Did 2 track days in it, and rode it so hard that the brakes caught fire.

I just brought it in for the TPMS problem. Other than that, no problems.

So, the question is, "Do I still like my car?" Well, let me put it this way, I'm usually looking forward to my next car about the time the warranty runs out on the current one. So far, I haven't found a SINGLE car that I want to buy that costs less than $100k.

BMW M5? - Too expensive to mess with if there is a problem. Plus, for about $5k, I could have performance to beat it. And, I already think that the G8 is better looking.

Caddy CTS-V? - It certainly has the performance. But, it's too small for me and my family. Plus, it just doesn't have the looks (to me).

Mercedes CLK 550? - My dad has one, and it's a nice looking and riding car. But, I hate the way it drives. It's WAY too much like a luxury car (think Lincoln Continental) with its slow throttle response.

I'm sure that I could be convinced that there actually IS a car for under $100k that I'd buy in a few years. But, certainly not one with the price point of the G8.

Plus, there's just something about the LS powerplant. As a friend of mine says (he has an LS2 stuffed in an RX-7 racecar), "You just can't beat God's motor for price and performance."

Top Speed
10-19-2009, 08:29 AM
Love mine, 13000 miles, no problems except gas cap that loosens occasionally.

JMS
10-19-2009, 12:54 PM
Love mine, no problems at all.....getting ready to hit 14k...I'd buy another one in a heartbeat

majesticix
10-20-2009, 06:18 AM
I've had a variety of issues and still love my car to this day. Blown motor, f'd tranny, suspension ball joint needs replacing (waiting on parts), leaky gas cap, OnStar module malfunction, and the 2 recalls...I could possibly chalk up mods to the motor and tranny. Even if it was all manufacturer defect, I'd still buy another one.

I test drove the SHO...nice car but definitely not a G8 replacement IMO. Perhaps a Genesis but they probably fall into the SHO boat as well (haven't driven one and I've only seen 1 in person briefly). And both of those are priced higher than the G8. G8 wins hands down.

jetmechinnc@yahoo.com
10-20-2009, 02:03 PM
Only problem have is a blown rear side speaker, dealer ordered me a new one and a gas cap that keeps loosening, apparently it's a problem because the part is back ordered, waiting two week sso far. Other than that, totally happy with my second and apparently last pontiac

Ktlplxm
10-21-2009, 01:14 PM
Love the car still. Out of all the new carsI've had, this one is the most fun. Other than my early engine issue, I've had no major problems that I couldn't blame on me. No shakes, shimies, vibrations, drones, clicking, clacking, etc, etc, etc. I agree with 00 TransAm, I can't find a single car under 100K that I would want, or justify getting rid of this one for. No other sedan has this much hp, tq, and mpg for the amount of money I have in it.

Devilish34
10-21-2009, 01:33 PM
Love the car still. Out of all the new carsI've had, this one is the most fun. Other than my early engine issue, I've had no major problems that I couldn't blame on me. No shakes, shimies, vibrations, drones, clicking, clacking, etc, etc, etc. I agree with 00 TransAm, I can't find a single car under 100K that I would want, or justify getting rid of this one for. No other sedan has this much hp, tq, and mpg for the amount of money I have in it.

^this

Mike P
10-21-2009, 01:55 PM
+1 for love it.........

I freaking love my car. Now if I can only find more people to race me! The G8 GT is a great family car with awesome power. Nice looking, fast, big trunk, works very well with modding.

I would buy it again in a minute.

I still need to get my ball joints checked, but haven't had many problems if any.....

:)

MGM GT
10-21-2009, 02:57 PM
So far its been pretty good... just little things that have annoyed me:

Leather - Questionable as its very cheap... seems more like pleather/vinyl.

Thin paint - had to repaint front end

Steering wheel trim peeling - had steering wheel trim repainted

Stereo/HVAC controls - constantly annoying! Wish the stereo was separate! Head unit is cheap and I don't know of a good way to replace it due to its interconnection with the HVAC system. HVAC system wigs out sometimes and I have to turn it off and back on and then it behaves.

Stock stereo speakers are horrible - Replaced with Alpine.

Headlights - No HID's really? Replaced with HID bulbs/ballasts.

Foglights - Worthless

Center console scratches too easily.

Ceiling lights look cheap.

Tires - 245 rear tires on a car with this much low end torque???

Seems like a lot but all in all not a bad car, rides good, accelerates well, lots of room and it looks good... for the price you cant beat it which is probably why it has the shortfalls listed above.

SRG963
10-21-2009, 03:06 PM

Agreed. I've had sports to luxury, but none put a smile on my face like my GT does....every time I hear start her up :)

blackgt
10-22-2009, 05:02 PM
even though pontiac is dead what do you think the possibility of aftermarket parts is? I love my gt i have just under 20k with no issues besides the tcm recall.

NYG8GT
10-22-2009, 07:00 PM
Well, now that I FINALLY have my car back after 4 weeks at the dealer waiting for ball joints, I guess I love it again lol. I think I gotta have Mike @ NEP screw with the tranny tune some more, but other than that, it really is tough to complain about the car for what it is *shrugs*

pokey
10-23-2009, 05:07 AM
Right at this moment I'm sitting at a dealership waiting room for door striker issues and 2 missing screws in my overhead console. I just heard they can't find the bulletin for the strikers...I guess I will have to get up and help them.

pokey
10-23-2009, 05:14 AM
Hey! They found it! This body manager is pretty nice though I would rather not be here.

00 Trans Ram
10-23-2009, 05:55 AM
even though pontiac is dead what do you think the possibility of aftermarket parts is? I love my gt i have just under 20k with no issues besides the tcm recall.

Being the same chassis as the Camaro, I'd say pretty good. Perhaps not for body panels and interior bits, but for things that actually make you "go" and aren't just for "show", the aftermarket will be fine.

johnbell2
10-23-2009, 11:50 AM
Washed my car today - 8500 miles on the nose. She's my gal, wouldn't give her up for anything.

Panzer Leader
10-24-2009, 05:38 AM
Agree with the observations that for the $$$, there is nothing that can compare with it. If the car would have stayed around I think that some of the issues cited would have been addressed on future models. I will just have to modify this one. But in the end it will still have cost less than a similiar equipped BMW but have in fact more and better features.

white lightning
10-25-2009, 02:23 PM
I love it! There are things I don't like about it, but ALL cars have issues. Rather than complain about it I just try and change what I don't like.

kidhauler
10-26-2009, 03:45 AM
My car is at the shop waiting for an LCA to get her from AUS. I've been without it for over a week now and it'll be another week before I get it back.

I STILL LOVE THIS CAR!!!

Shit happens and GM is making good on the repairs.

Should the engineers at GM have realized that the rubber boots on the ball joints weren't designed for cold weather? Sure. Is this the first time something like this got overlooked? No. I'll happen again too.

When I bought the car I knew Pontiac was going away. I knew the parts for repairs were coming from AUS. I knew there might be issues with such a limited production run for the US.

This is still the best sedan I've ever owned.

-Dennis-

jetmechinnc@yahoo.com
10-26-2009, 05:41 AM
At least the main complaint just seems to be either a loose gas cap or ball joints, all easily replaced, once in stock, and the fix sounds sound. I had a 2002 BMW Z3 and the rear diff mount would tear out the subframe. Happened on alot of BMWs, even the E46 M3. BMW never had a recall, and would only repair it back to factory specks, so it would happen all over again. Just a bad design for around 10 years.

Ktlplxm
10-26-2009, 05:45 AM
At least the main complaint just seems to be either a loose gas cap or ball joints, all easily replaced, once in stock, and the fix sounds sound. I had a 2002 BMW Z3 and the rear diff mount would tear out the subframe. Happened on alot of BMWs, even the E46 M3. BMW never had a recall, and would only repair it back to factory specks, so it would happen all over again. Just a bad design for around 10 years.

SHHHH!!!! The guys that live and breathe the "M series" will hear, and stone you!! Remember, they are the greatest, most exciting piece of automotive genius that has ever been produced...

and driven to Starbucks for a coffee break :windy:

99-LS1-SS
10-26-2009, 05:53 AM

My in-laws have had 3 BMWs and they have all three been in the shop for various items. The people that think that BMWs are God's gift to cars either, haven't owned one, or have been incredibly lucky. They are NO better than American made cars as far as reliability goes. Appearance and performance is another story. I like the way the M3 and M5 look but I'm happy with my car.

MGM GT
10-26-2009, 07:33 AM
My in-laws have had 3 BMWs and they have all three been in the shop for various items. The people that think that BMWs are God's gift to cars either, haven't owned one, or have been incredibly lucky. They are NO better than American made cars as far as reliability goes. Appearance and performance is another story. I like the way the M3 and M5 look but I'm happy with my car.

True, the E46's had some issues. But now if you get a new BMW e60, e90, etc.. you get a much better design as well as a hassle free 50,000 mile warranty and free all inclusive maintenance brakes, wipers, oil, everything!

I know when pulling up to service at my local BMW dealer you pull into a glass garage with flat screen T.V.'s, coffee, snacks and they fix the car ASAP with no questions asked and give a nice loaner if needed. Compared to pulling up to my Pontiac dealer I have to get out walk inside, tell them why I need warranty work... tell them again, hope they agree, wait while they check the computer, tell me the parts aren't in stock, they need to keep my car and not give me a loaner... kinda pathetic.

I'm not a warranty type of guy as I mod my cars right away so I don't need to deal with it but for the "average" car buyer service makes a difference.

TxSkier
10-28-2009, 12:48 PM
Very happy with the G8GT.
I bought a used 2008 with sunroof.
Probably one of the few base GTs with a sunroof.
Dislikes> sunroof windnoise> fixed under warranty now
Likes>The seats are the most comfortable buckets in any GM car I have owned in the last 25 years. The two-tone black/red cloth seats are holding up well with no wear creases whatsoever.
I drive 110 miles round trip to and from work. Most of it on the Houston tollway. I avg 23.5 MPG for my commute and weekend driving!
I have replaced the original tires with Michelin Primacy from Discount Tires. No shakes, shimmy in the steering wheel. Rides very well.
I am getting ready to bust 40,000 miles.
On my car, I have found that using the AUTO feature for the AC works the best for cooling. I have had other cars where using the manual feature worked best in the hot and humid air down here.

One more dislike> paint chips on the front spoiler

GT G8
10-28-2009, 02:42 PM
I love to hate it... If it wasn't for the suspension I wouldn't have a decent complaint but I have been screwing with this suspension for several months now and it's become a HUGE PITA!

Chris

Would the Pedders Street Kit II fix the known suspension issues? Or are the issues you're mentioning stem beyond a Pedders solution?

Gonewild
10-29-2009, 11:28 AM
I love my G8 more than any car i have owned. I have owned 5 in the last 4 years. I get compliments every day, and I love the bang for the buck.

yllwjckt07
11-03-2009, 08:00 PM
For the price, I dont really know of a better vehicle. I have not had the issues that many have dealt with though...

mikesgt
11-04-2009, 09:13 AM
Love, hate it. Great fun to drive, but I have had more problems with this car than my prior 3 Grand Prix GTP's put together. Unfortunately the dealer doesn't know how to fix a f***ing thing. And if they can fix it, it takes more tan one trip and they have also damaged the car.

pokey
11-04-2009, 10:57 AM
Love, hate it. Great fun to drive, but I have had more problems with this car than my prior 3 Grand Prix GTP's put together. Unfortunately the dealer doesn't know how to fix a f***ing thing. And if they can fix it, it takes more tan one trip and they have also damaged the car.

Pretty much my experience as well. It is really hard to find a good mechanic.

Ktlplxm
11-05-2009, 12:06 PM
Pretty much my experience as well. It is really hard to find a good mechanic.

Easy to find, hard to afford or get to

Devilish34
11-05-2009, 12:40 PM
Easy to find, hard to afford or get to

You'll manage you got deep pockets :)

Ktlplxm
11-05-2009, 12:47 PM
You'll manage you got deep pockets :)
Don't know why people have that idea. I merely have different priorities than some.

Devilish34
11-05-2009, 12:57 PM
Don't know why people have that idea. I merely have different priorities than some.

Just bustin your stones. I'll send you some more motivational posters for your sig

xruling
11-05-2009, 06:24 PM
You could add up all of y'alls mileage, and it might be more than me. I've got 34,xxx miles on it, and add about 100 per day. We're talking HARD driving, too. I'm on my 3rd set of tires. And, I wear out the fronts as fast as the rears (hard turning, hard braking).

I haven't been on a road course in my racecar in over 6 months, so I suspect that I'm taking out my frustration in the G8. Did 2 track days in it, and rode it so hard that the brakes caught fire.

I just brought it in for the TPMS problem. Other than that, no problems.

So, the question is, "Do I still like my car?" Well, let me put it this way, I'm usually looking forward to my next car about the time the warranty runs out on the current one. So far, I haven't found a SINGLE car that I want to buy that costs less than $100k.

BMW M5? - Too expensive to mess with if there is a problem. Plus, for about $5k, I could have performance to beat it. And, I already think that the G8 is better looking.

Caddy CTS-V? - It certainly has the performance. But, it's too small for me and my family. Plus, it just doesn't have the looks (to me).

Mercedes CLK 550? - My dad has one, and it's a nice looking and riding car. But, I hate the way it drives. It's WAY too much like a luxury car (think Lincoln Continental) with its slow throttle response.

I'm sure that I could be convinced that there actually IS a car for under $100k that I'd buy in a few years. But, certainly not one with the price point of the G8.

Plus, there's just something about the LS powerplant. As a friend of mine says (he has an LS2 stuffed in an RX-7 racecar), "You just can't beat God's motor for price and performance."

You might want to look at the Infinity M45, if you don't mind spending more than the G8GT but less than the other price points.

xruling
11-05-2009, 06:34 PM
Had my G8GT for about 6 months/10K miles now. I must have one of the most perfect ones ever made. Zero issues. I might have momentarily imagined that I heard or felt something odd once or twice, but I pushed the gas pedal down hard and confirmed that the car is almost perfect. I wish I could afford to have a GXP for the weekends and the GT for the M-F duties. I still look forward to every little drive and love listening to that American V8 start.

mkoz
11-11-2009, 09:10 PM
I had a brief spell of maddness and considered selling the car while I could still get what I paid for it. This was while it was at the stealer to take care of all recalls and the rear main seal leak. I had an Impala LS for a loaner which I dreaded - yawn. Let's just say after getting my car back 4 days later, I had to appologize to it. I was simply taking it for granted, this thing is a beast and it puts a smile on my face every time I drive it.

I have a slight steering wheel vibration mostly when the rubber is still cold and the remote keyless system has magically lost its range (both keys and new batteries). These are the current outstanding issues, but I consider them minor. My dealer experience has been surprisingly good too. Other than that my only other complaints are the paint and how easily the interior plastics scratch. I have 12K km on the car.

blackgt
11-12-2009, 12:02 AM
I have an 08 black gt that just cleared 20,000 miles and i have yet to have a single issue with the car and i love it!!

Superdave
11-15-2009, 08:59 PM
Love mine, 13000 miles, no problems except gas cap that loosens occasionally.

Ditto that cept mine is at 12,3xx mileage. I've found if u push on the cap when tightening you will get more turns until it starts to click. IMO, this is one of the greatest cars GM has ever built. :)

jetmechinnc@yahoo.com
11-16-2009, 03:08 AM
Ditto that cept mine is at 12,3xx mileage. I've found if u push on the cap when tightening you will get more turns until it starts to click. IMO, this is one of the greatest cars GM has ever built. :)

I went to the dealer and they got me a different one for my car that seems to work just fine, like everything else, it took about 2 weeks to get in, but now I don't get a check engine light because of a loose gas cap. I guess they know it is a common problem and the new cap seems to fix it.

Modhauler
11-16-2009, 05:30 AM
I personally don't drive it but I love riding in it. For the minor issues (recalls and tire) it's been a great ride. All cars will have some issues, it's how they take care of the issues that matters. So far the dealer has been great. Take it in Tuesday for the boots (ball joints) to be replaced. The mileage didn't dropped like my car did with the 10% crap. So far, I'm pleased with it!

Chooch
11-16-2009, 10:22 AM
I can say from a drivers prespective, this is as about as good as it gets from this price point I was looking at. There is simply nothing out there that has 4 doors, lots of room, gets great gas milege(Depends on right foot :) , and has the power I needed to have. Besides the LCA issues for the front end, I have not 1 problem at all. And my dealer has been great. I get appointments quickley, they do it right the first time, and they take a general intrest in my car as well becasue the techs appreciate a true V8 power car. What I need now is to sell the wife on the idea of me getting a beater care for commuting and keep this pup in my heated garage :)

Slizzo
11-16-2009, 12:56 PM
For what I paid, this car has been great to me so far. The only issue I've had is the LCA balljoint issues that is common on these cars.

Other than that, car is tight as a drum. Still drives great and puts smiles on my face. Also still turns heads when I'm out driving around. Now if only I could keep up with the paint on the car (Panther Black Metallic, don't have the time to keep it as clean as I should. Also haven't hand-waxed it since I've had it. I know I know, shame on me...)

That's all OK by me though, this car is on Lease until next year, and I'll be looking for a used G8 in a different color by that time, probably will be one off of lease.

g8sponge
11-21-2009, 07:20 PM
Really surprised anyone would have the impression this car isn't a great bang for the buck. Must be the old squeaky wheel gets the grease. BMWs/Audis/Subies/Nissans/etc all have similar or worse issues. I, like others, don't think there is a car out there for the price, or plus 20K for that matter, that can compare. My car gets kudos and looks where ever I go- I can care less though because it goes and stops like snot. Fun car to mod. No real complaints.

schwartz
11-21-2009, 09:49 PM
Before we(me and the wife) even had the G8 we were planning on getting rid of the Pontiac G5(which was a great car)and buying a BMW.But then we started to notice thats all you see on the road these days is BMW's.The frikin things are everywhere,and everybody that has one thinks they are king sh!t.So we said fuk it,lets get a G8 cause nobody has one.We love the car and have no complaints about it at all.Now we just laugh at all the BMW geeks out there cause now they're all staring at our car saying "WTF was that 4 door?".BMW's are a dime a dozen.