PDA

View Full Version : UPR Billet Oil Catch Can

rmcrom
10-16-2009, 12:11 PM
Brand: UPR Products
Price: 99.99
Purchased From: http://www.uprproducts.com/pontiac-billet-oil-catch-can-separator-g8-08.html

Installation: Easy
Installation Time: 20 minutes

Quality of Part: 10
Product Performance: It works very well.
Would you Recommend to Others: Yes

Any Other Comments:

This catch can seems to be well made. It's got some weight to it and it screws together very nicely for a tight seal. It comes with plenty of hose to run the lines cleanly for a factory look. The installation was very easy, following the instructions on their website. You basically pull out your hard plastic PCV line and slide on the new hose, cut it in the middle, and attach to the barbs on the can. Also this can clears both the engine cover and factory airbox. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a good oil catch can. UPR got this out to me very quickly as well. I wanted to get some pics of it out of the box so you can see what UPR ships, but my camera battery was drained so here are some pics of it installed.

http://i587.photobucket.com/albums/ss319/rmcrom/006-1.jpg

http://i587.photobucket.com/albums/ss319/rmcrom/008-2.jpg

fastg8mi
10-16-2009, 02:40 PM
Nice!

Snakey
10-16-2009, 04:59 PM
Looks like a nice option! Wonder how it compares in quality to the Billet Prototypes piece?

99-LS1-SS
10-16-2009, 05:07 PM
I can assure you it works! I just walked out to the garage and unscrewed mine and this is what it looked like.

http://www.usamls.net/brandon/images/img_1351.jpg

rmcrom
10-16-2009, 05:42 PM
Looks like a nice option! Wonder how it compares in quality to the Billet Prototypes piece?
From the pictures it looks just like the billet prototypes piece to me, only its a little cheaper and you don't have to wait for them to be made before they ship which is why I got this one.

I can assure you it works! I just walked out to the garage and unscrewed mine and this is what it looked like.
Is that the billet prototypes or the UPR? Either way it looks like it works nicely.

99-LS1-SS
10-16-2009, 05:43 PM
It's a billet prototype but they should all work roughly the same.

svtcobra
10-19-2009, 06:00 AM
Ordered same one from UPR and got it in a couple of days. Quality of piece is very good, will be installing it sometime this week.

FB3
10-19-2009, 11:52 AM
Will this work on a GXP? I have read that the GXP breathing/pvc locations are different than the GT.

Would love to get one, but don't want to run into an installation problem.

rmcrom
10-19-2009, 01:35 PM
I would imagine it should work. It comes with a good length of hose (I had some left over) and it mounts to a stud on the strut tower which should be the same on the GXP.

rmcrom
10-24-2009, 07:23 AM
It's been on for a week and it already has some oil in it. There was a lot more oil than I expected from only one weeks driving. I expected just a light film of oil, but there was already a little puddle.

Call-Me-D
11-16-2009, 12:59 PM
Ordered mine from UPR as well, should be here this Wed(11-18). It's nice to be able to find a different option and not hafta wait. Ordered Thursday night(11-12) and shipped Friday....

Rawyzf
11-17-2009, 11:39 AM
Do you guys know if this will mount in that location if you have the RotoFab Intake? I need to get a can also, but not sure on the location.

dandragonrage
11-17-2009, 12:19 PM
The site says it has an oil separator inside. Can you tell us anything more? The site doesn't elaborate. It doesn't look to me like it has anything. I assume it does not have a particulate filter (the best option). Does it have metal mesh/steel wool? A metal screen? Or is the oil separator claim on the site a lie?

svtcobra
11-17-2009, 01:28 PM
It is same has Billett Protptypes can, go to thier site for better pics. They have metal mesh.

rmcrom
11-17-2009, 01:39 PM
The seperator is in the top part of the can and it looks like some kind of metal wadding. The oil seperator is not a lie. Mine has already seperated a good bit of oil.

Call-Me-D
11-17-2009, 02:16 PM
Do you guys know if this will mount in that location if you have the RotoFab Intake? I need to get a can also, but not sure on the location.

Yessir, it mounts on the stud where the factory airbox bolted down to....Exactly like the BP can.... I'll post some pics of it apart when I receive it tomorrow....

Rawyzf
11-17-2009, 03:00 PM
Yessir, it mounts on the stud where the factory airbox bolted down to....Exactly like the BP can.... I'll post some pics of it apart when I receive it tomorrow....

Thanks, I appreciate it. I am gonna order one now also.

wagon540
11-17-2009, 03:34 PM
Ordered mine yesterday, i'm gonna mount it on the right side cuz i'm non DOD. Thought about Norris but i like the flat top look.
Kim.

Call-Me-D
11-18-2009, 01:03 PM
Received my UPR can today, and can tell y'all that it is a nice piece. I would recommend it to you guys. Attached are some pics of it. It does have steel mesh in the top portion to separate the trash from the oil. I'm at work right now, but I'm gonna install after work. i'm sure it'll be an easy install.

wagon540
11-18-2009, 02:14 PM
Received my UPR can today, and can tell y'all that it is a nice piece. I would recommend it to you guys. Attached are some pics of it. It does have steel mesh in the top portion to separate the trash from the oil. I'm at work right now, but I'm gonna install after work. i'm sure it'll be an easy install.

Nice, are those o ring or pipe thread fittings? Just curious, i'm gonna use braided line on mine, it should be here in a couple of days.

GeoffA
11-18-2009, 02:33 PM
Will this work on a GXP? I have read that the GXP breathing/pvc locations are different than the GT.

Would love to get one, but don't want to run into an installation problem.

Yes, It will work with the GXP 99-LS1-SS has his on a GXP. He might even have some pics posted on his install.

Call-Me-D
11-18-2009, 03:23 PM
Nice, are those o ring or pipe thread fittings? Just curious, i'm gonna use braided line on mine, it should be here in a couple of days.

They are 3/8 npt fittings....I just finished installing, took 20 minutes and the install is clean......Pics to come later.

Wagon, When I get some free time, I'm gonna switch to AN fittings and the black "Pro-lite" nylon braided hose to make it even cleaner.

wagon540
11-18-2009, 06:00 PM
They are 3/8 npt fittings....I just finished installing, took 20 minutes and the install is clean......Pics to come later.

Wagon, When I get some free time, I'm gonna switch to AN fittings and the black "Pro-lite" nylon braided hose to make it even cleaner.

Thanks, i said braided, i meant earls pro lite 350. Might even weld an AN male fitting on the inlet plate tube, and drill and tap intake. Haven't looked to see if thats feasible yet. Hopefully have it and other stuff to work on this weekend.

Crazy Paul
11-19-2009, 05:20 AM
Thanks, i said braided, i meant earls pro lite 350. Might even weld an AN male fitting on the inlet plate tube, and drill and tap intake. Haven't looked to see if thats feasible yet. Hopefully have it and other stuff to work on this weekend.

Not feasible.
Do it with AN tube adapters.

The steel PCV tube coming out the front of the valley plate (LS3,LS2,L76 hardware AFM deleted) is 3/8" OD with an expanded barb right on the tip.
The steel tube (for fresh air supply) going into the passenger side valve cover is the same.
Trim the barb off with a tube cutter then slip an AN tube adapter on and tighten it up.

Part No in red is 316 stainless steel from Swagelok.
3/8 OD tube to -6 AN
Russell and Earls etc sell similar in pretty colours.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/Swagelok1_04.jpg

On the side of the intake manifold the plastic tube coming out is 10mm OD.
Again you can do it with tube adapters but due to the metric tube you'll need two fittings to get back to AN. The two fittings go into each other so it still looks quite neat when assembled.

Part Nos are 316 stainless steel from Swagelok.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/Swagelok2_03.jpg

G8V8
11-19-2009, 10:01 AM
UPR is a nice unit. fits great and is already catching oil.
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-11/65524/DSCN0603_1678.JPG
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-11/65524/DSCN0602_1677.JPG

Call-Me-D
11-19-2009, 03:38 PM
Here's a a couple of pics of mine, installed yesterday. Pretty simple...

Rawyzf
11-19-2009, 03:49 PM
Here's a a couple of pics of mine, installed yesterday. Pretty simple...

Looks great!

Mine will be here on Mon. Do I need anything, or does it come with everything needed?

rmcrom
11-19-2009, 03:58 PM
Looks great!

Mine will be here on Mon. Do I need anything, or does it come with everything needed?

Comes with everything.

Call-Me-D
11-19-2009, 08:22 PM
Just need a flat-head screwdriver, somethin to cut the hose with, and a ratchet w/ a
10mm deep socket. All this and you're good to go.

gr8lover
11-20-2009, 02:16 AM
Sorry for the newbie question, but why do we need one? Is this something important to get and what makes some need it and others dont? or should all of us get the oil catch can? benefits? negatives on not getting one?

Thanks for info

-Ray-
11-20-2009, 02:30 AM
To prevent oil from being burned in the combustion process.

Crazy Paul
11-20-2009, 02:39 AM
Catch Cans are designed by automotive enthusiasts for those who expect a higher standard of performance from their vehicle and wish to help extend the life of their engine by decreasing oil contamination from the intake tract to the combustion chamber.
Oil vapors and other contaminates are first caught and condensed by a stainless mesh and then dropped to the bottom of the can where the walls prevent the oil from climbing back to the top and exiting back into the intake tract.

Oil contamination derives from the positive crankcase ventilation valve common on most internal combustion engines where vacuum is pulled on the crankcase by the intake or in some cases the throttle body. This contamination occurs when oil vapors exit the crankcase via the PCV valve, enter the intake tract, and create adverse effects such as carbon build-up on valves, pistons, and plugs, as well as cause harmful detonation. Detonation in many cases causes the ECM/PCM to retard timing, thus creating a reduction in horsepower. Power adders such as turbos, blowers, or nitrous can benefit greatly due to the removal of oil contamination in the combustion process. Poor emissions could also be traced back to high levels of oil residue being burned in the combustion process. By removing this oil, a clean burning engine could help the environment as well as improving the performance of a vehicle.

-Ray-
11-20-2009, 03:12 AM
Yeah, what he said. ^

Crazy Paul
11-20-2009, 06:00 AM
Yeah, what he said. ^
That was a cut and paste job.
I would have spelt it vapour. :secret:

99-LS1-SS
11-20-2009, 06:12 AM
That was a cut and paste job.
I would have spelt it vapour. :secret:

LOL! I was just about to give you props Paul! Either way, that is a great explanation of a catch can and how it works.

Rawyzf
11-25-2009, 06:03 PM
How do you get that Purple/Silver plug off on the TB?

rmcrom
11-25-2009, 06:12 PM
You have to pull the silver part off first. Once you get that off the purple plug will come off.

Rawyzf
11-25-2009, 06:16 PM
You have to pull the silver part off first. Once you get that off the purple plug will come off.

Cool, got that part of now, thanks!

How in the heck do you get your hands in that spot still to take off the PVC? I don't know if taking that plug off really cleared any room!

rmcrom
11-25-2009, 06:46 PM
I just cleared some of that stuff away near the pcv tube just enough to slide the hose on.

Rawyzf
11-25-2009, 07:46 PM
Got it on now, just hard to work with these fat hands!

Great piece, install was pretty easy. Would be easier with smaller BK hands and knowledge on how to pull that stupid plug off the TB.

gr8lover
11-26-2009, 12:29 PM
Just got my UPR catch can yesterday.... didnt I order it yesterday? no maybe it was the day before- quick delivery!!!! Looks good also.

tptboy
12-11-2009, 11:58 AM
Nevermind, found it....

rmcrom
12-11-2009, 02:09 PM
Nevermind, found it....
What did you find?

tptboy
12-11-2009, 02:11 PM
Installation instructions with pictures...http://www.billetprototypes.com/G8_Catch_Can_Install.html

Executor999
02-07-2010, 05:07 PM
Installed mine today.

http://www.danielhower.com/g8/catchcan01.jpg

http://www.danielhower.com/g8/catchcan02.jpg

Mr louis
02-07-2010, 08:47 PM
looks great!

Rick Maddux
02-11-2010, 04:03 AM
It looks good. That goes on my wish list!

newman27
01-12-2014, 01:19 PM
I just installed the UPR Catch Can. It looks great and arrived very quickly :cool2:. However, the inlet and outlet nipples did not screw in all the way (threads are still exposed after I tightened them up as far as they would go and they stuck in place facing away from the engine - not optimal, can't unscrew them now). Also, my catch can had a hole in the bottom that had to be plugged using a screw in plug which was provided (again, threads exposed even after I screwed in the plug as far as it would go). I think these issues are just cosmetic and overall I'm happy with the product but they leave me a little less than completely satisfied. Did anyone else have these issues?

s/c'd cav
01-16-2014, 10:00 PM
that is the way npt threads work , they are tapered and will only go in so far , its how they seal up

hopefully the picture works

MongosG8
01-17-2014, 12:55 AM
Newman .. that's how mine is also.. like s/c`d cav said that is the norm. As long as its tight and sealed you are all set. Plus I used Teflon tape to make sure it was all the way sealed. It doesn't hurt any.

newman27
01-17-2014, 04:03 AM
that is the way npt threads work , they are tapered and will only go in so far , its how they seal up hopefully the picture works

Yes, that helps - I didn't realize that - thanks!

Newman .. that's how mine is also.. like s/c`d cav said that is the norm. As long as its tight and sealed you are all set. Plus I used Teflon tape to make sure it was all the way sealed. It doesn't hurt any.

I wish I had thought of that! Everything does seem secure however. Thank you!

s/c'd cav
01-18-2014, 01:01 AM
you are welcome , it what we are all here for :)