PDA

View Full Version : remote start distance

Struggle
10-15-2009, 10:30 AM
We have tried on several occasions to use this feature and it only works if we are within about 15' of the car. It does not matter which remote is used.

Is there any way to increase to distance that it works? We do have tinted windows and when I asked the soon to be closed dealer they said that would affect it. Distance was no better before the windows were done.

I see Pace shows a longer range remote but we do not show one of the build codes that they say is required.

Chewy
10-15-2009, 10:39 AM
15 feet isn't right... My windows are tinted and I get probably 50-75 feet...

I hold it up to and against my chin for extended range. It sounds stupid but it works... It's something I learned years ago in my previous life.

G8+6=fun
10-15-2009, 11:45 AM
Mind works at about 50 to 75 ft. away and never had any problems with it.

alex94z
10-15-2009, 12:58 PM
Mine only works within 15-20' also. Same before and after tint. I also replaced the battery in the fob with a new one and no difference. :(

Kermit
10-15-2009, 03:49 PM
Something is wrong with yours if you only get 15-20'. I'm like the other two with 50-75'. The chin trick really does work. I learned that in my previous life too when I drove the GP GTP.

micheal0484
10-15-2009, 04:24 PM
Mine blows, 35ft of so. If I am up above the car(on another level) It works from 75+

Struggle
10-15-2009, 04:56 PM
I wonder if an antenna modification could be done?

I have done the chin trick as well and no go there.

Where would the antenna be for this if there is one?

Calling TIm Allen to the front for a rewire:poof:

todds87ss
10-15-2009, 06:42 PM

I hold it up to and against my chin for extended range. It sounds stupid but it works... It's something I learned years ago in my previous life.

30-40 ft for me. Yes, that sounds stupid...stupid enough to work. Gotta try it.

BluYa76
10-15-2009, 07:03 PM
I'm like others here, get about 75ft +or- and then some with chin trick!

bigtreepu
10-15-2009, 08:23 PM
if you get the advanced two way it greatly improves the range of both the factory key and the 2 way remote. They add a different antenna.

~Matt

darkan
10-15-2009, 08:27 PM
The chin trick really does work. I learned that in my previous life too when I drove the GP GTP.

+1 on the GP GTP. GM just seems to make shitty remotes. That being said, with the chin trick I'll get 50-75 ft. like some of the people here have said, and that's with tinted windows.
I wonder if the type of tint used makes a difference? The nicer, more expensive tint has metallic particles in it, I believe. That might explain the reduction in range for some people.

Punisher
10-15-2009, 09:19 PM
I'm with those in the 50-75 range...havent had any problem with it at all....I've even tried from the inside of my house and still works...ofcourse I'm pointing the remote from a window but it still works.....wonder why some would go a longer distance than others:hmm:

WARLOCK
10-15-2009, 09:53 PM

HAHA i seen this topic and when i clicked on to the thread thats exactly what i was going to post!

ITS NOT STUPID its a fact. I have started my car from far enough away you couldnt even hear it, you just see the lights flash it cranked.

I too learned this back around 1990 when i was installing audio systems and car alarms in high school.. every installer knows this trick. it uses your body as an antena to broadcast the signal.

Chewy
10-16-2009, 04:50 AM
I had an electrical engineer fight with me over it. Told me it couldn't work. "dude I'm and electrical engineer. I know it won't work" WTF? People are so against trying it for themselves.

You can stand in one spot and try it normally, then stick it to you chin and BAM! Jack in the box can't tell me it doesn't do something...

Chris

alex94z
10-16-2009, 05:46 AM
Hmm, i'll try the chin trick. If it doesn't work I guess I'll make a trip to the dealer to see if there is something they can do.

jnak
10-16-2009, 06:14 AM
I don't really like the idea of shooting RF signals directly into your brain.

Then again, I do use a cell phone.

Chewy
10-16-2009, 07:49 AM
Hmm, i'll try the chin trick. If it doesn't work I guess I'll make a trip to the dealer to see if there is something they can do.

Did you try replacing the battery? It may be getting weak!:)

alex94z
10-16-2009, 07:54 AM
Did you try replacing the battery? It may be getting weak!:)

Yes, replaced it with a brand new energizer brand battery. Made no difference in distance.

Struggle
10-16-2009, 09:35 AM
Where is the antenna at for the remote start? I wonder if it was installed wrong and could be repositioned?

Old Cop
10-16-2009, 12:11 PM
I believe it's a height issue. While visiting my son recently I was able to start the car from considerable distance from the second floor of the motel.

Line of sight is my guess.

todds87ss
10-16-2009, 06:20 PM
I tried this last night. It locked from a rediculous distance (easily 100 ft), then tried to remote start. The lights flashed, and, if it did start, it did not stay running. Perhaps I was not holding my mouth right...

orangegeeate
10-18-2009, 03:22 PM
Mine starts from 150' - 200' with it in my posket with no problems.

alex94z
10-19-2009, 05:59 AM

There is something definately wrong with mine if i'm only getting 10'-15'. :hang:

todds87ss
10-20-2009, 08:47 PM

How in the hell do you know what buttons to push if it's in your pocket. I have to take it out and study it each time as if I'm trying to decode the dead sea scrolls - seriously.

Chewy
10-21-2009, 04:34 AM
How in the hell do you know what buttons to push if it's in your pocket. I have to take it out and study it each time as if I'm trying to decode the dead sea scrolls - seriously.

Takes a while but you memorize it... Then I jump in the Subie and the buttons are the opposite for lock and unlock... THAT sucks... :spank:

edfiero
10-21-2009, 11:05 AM
I call BS on the chin. How is holding at your chin using your body for an "antenna" any more than simply having the clicker in your hand?

If anything, the chin idea, is just that you are holding the clicker higher...to clear other obstacles. You might do even better if you hold it over your head. The higher the better.

todds87ss
10-21-2009, 06:18 PM
I call BS on the chin. How is holding at your chin using your body for an "antenna" any more than simply having the clicker in your hand?

If anything, the chin idea, is just that you are holding the clicker higher...to clear other obstacles. You might do even better if you hold it over your head. The higher the better.

This is what I was thinking, also. I tried it again this morning, and there was not a clear line of sight. It did not work until I had clear line of sight - 20 feet or so.

TLS
10-21-2009, 08:01 PM
I get spotty distance....but what aggravates me more is: I see the light flash when I hit LOCK....See the light flash on what I think is start....and go out and check, and it's not running (like 30 seconds later). <---Because it almost never starts. I would love to have more range.

gearhead455
10-22-2009, 05:25 PM
I have hair on my chinny chin chin, I wonder if it will work. lol :D

orangegeeate
10-24-2009, 12:23 PM
I get spotty distance....but what aggravates me more is: I see the light flash when I hit LOCK....See the light flash on what I think is start....and go out and check, and it's not running (like 30 seconds later). <---Because it almost never starts. I would love to have more range.

You do remember you have to hit lock twice then start?

TLS
10-25-2009, 04:42 AM
Now I feel dumb!

I thought it was just once!

Makes sense after the second try (second lock motion) it starts then.

gearhead455
10-26-2009, 02:30 AM
I only hold the button down until the lights flash and it starts. (about 3 seconds)

TLS
10-26-2009, 02:51 AM
I only hold the button down until the lights flash and it starts. (about 3 seconds)

I was referring to hitting LOCK 2x's, then just hold the start button for a few seconds.

Works great now!

Range could be a little longer, but at least I'm able to utilize the feature properly.

JVH1982
10-26-2009, 08:21 AM
I don't need to lock twice to remote start... 1x then press and hold the crank button. I find that my range is fine, but the button to unlock the car is rather picky on how its pressed.

Shredmo
10-26-2009, 08:32 AM
IIRC, I have to hit the "lock" button only once prior to pushing and holding the "start" button for 3 seconds. Doesn't matter if the car is locked or unlocked. At the end of the day, even if car is locked, I have to hit "lock" then "start". If the car us unlocked, I only need to hit "lock" once, then hold "start" for 3 seconds.

rez0nance
10-26-2009, 10:15 AM
You do remember you have to hit lock twice then start?

No, you don't.

Remote start procedure: hit lock once, and then hold down the remote start button for 2 seconds.

This is in your manual guys. Clear as day.

alex94z
10-26-2009, 01:39 PM
I just ordered a range extender from sellersautosport.com. I hope this helps. My remote start is virtually useless right now.

Posidon42
10-26-2009, 05:35 PM
I tried testing this when leaving work today. I was easily 200ft away, holding it in my hand as I didn't know about the chin test yet ;) Started right up. I had to look at the lights to see it was starting as I couldn't hear it in an empty parking lot. Guess that means I need a louder exhaust.

Struggle
10-26-2009, 05:52 PM
I just ordered a range extender from sellersautosport.com. I hope this helps. My remote start is virtually useless right now.

I hoe you come back with results on this thread if it works. Obviously there is more than a few of us with this issue. Does anyone know how the system works as for location of the unit and if there is an actual antenna for the RKE system and where it might be located.

The tined windows for us made it no worse than it was prior to them being tinted. I chinned mine and also held it high in the air with no change. Still had to be within about 15-20' of the car. If I twist my nose just right and twitch the ears it will start from the garage door pointing the remote at the car. :nud:

todds87ss
10-26-2009, 06:31 PM
I tried testing this when leaving work today. I was easily 200ft away, holding it in my hand as I didn't know about the chin test yet ;) Started right up. I had to look at the lights to see it was starting as I couldn't hear it in an empty parking lot. Guess that means I need a louder exhaust.

this!
I hit mine and folks 450 feet away look around. Funny as hell.

gearhead455
10-27-2009, 04:07 PM
No, you don't.

Remote start procedure: hit lock once, and then hold down the remote start button for 2 seconds.

This is in your manual guys. Clear as day.

+1

alex94z
11-07-2009, 10:27 AM
I installed my Sellers RKE range extender and it works great!! I tried my remote start from at least 150' and it now works! Best $99 ive spent so far! :woohoo: They have a youtube video of it working from about 400'.

alex94z
11-07-2009, 10:38 AM
Here's the demo video. It wasn't too bad to install either. Took me about 1 hour.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW9-QebMX24

esinger
11-07-2009, 11:35 AM
I installed my Sellers RKE range extender and it works great!! I tried my remote start from at least 150' and it now works! Best $99 ive spent so far! :woohoo: They have a youtube video of it working from about 400'.

Once I got it position right in the C pillar, it really picked up my range too. I can't get the 400', but I definitely increased my range to over 100 to 200 feet (depending on the conditions).

Alex94z, how'd you route your antenna? Just curious, because mine seemed too short to install as the instructions read (short by about 2 to 3 inches).

alex94z
11-07-2009, 12:45 PM
Once I got it position right in the C pillar, it really picked up my range too. I can't get the 400', but I definitely increased my range to over 100 to 200 feet (depending on the conditions).

Alex94z, how'd you route your antenna? Just curious, because mine seemed too short to install as the instructions read (short by about 2 to 3 inches).

You're right about the instructions and length. I had to route mine behind the subwoofer and not in front of, as said in the instructions, to get the desired height in the C pillar.

Struggle
11-10-2009, 08:45 PM
You're right about the instructions and length. I had to route mine behind the subwoofer and not in front of, as said in the instructions, to get the desired height in the C pillar.

Where is the module exactly with the factory antenna located at?
The reason I ask is I want to see if mine is bundled together or something since I can only get about 15' from the car and it works no further.

alex94z
11-10-2009, 08:47 PM
Where is the module exactly with the factory antenna located at?
The reason I ask is I want to see if mine is bundled together or something since I can only get about 15' from the car and it works no further.

The module is on top of the rear deck between the subwoofers. The antenna is clipped along the bottom of the driver side subwoofer.

Struggle
11-10-2009, 09:46 PM
Thanks. I will hopefully look into this tomorrow and see what I find.

ncg8
12-22-2009, 07:11 AM
Anyone have instructions or pictures on the RKE Range Extender Kit install? Received mine yesterday but it doesn't come with documentation and I haven't heard anything from Sellers.