PDA

View Full Version : The official G8 WEIGHT REDUCTION thread...

Robert@KBXPerformance
10-15-2009, 09:24 AM
Ok, so I am well aware of the ease of getting additional horsepower out of these cars but as piggish as they are in stock form I also know that there is some room to take a little weight out. BTW, this is meant to be a somewhat serious technical thread so keep the retarded ideas to a minimum. I intend this to serve as a future reference thread for anyone wanting to get idea's on how to drop weight from their G8. So let's hear it! What are your weight reduction ideas and about how much weight do they drop? Let's put these porkers on a diet.

Here is the list so far:

1) Lighter wheels/tires combo. If I recall correctly I believe I saved about 25-30 lbs rolling weight off of my car in going with 18" C6Z wheels with Direzza's up front and MT ET's out back.
2) Trans tunnel brace removed. Weight saved is about 3-4lbs.
3) Pedder's Xa coilovers. Weight saved is roughly 7lbs per strut.
4) Tire inflation/sealing unit removed from spare tire bay. Weight saved about 5lbs.
5) Smaller battery. Weight saved about 20 lbs.

GRRRR8
10-15-2009, 09:25 AM
Tunnel brace is maybe 3-4 pounds.

Robert@KBXPerformance
10-15-2009, 09:26 AM
Tunnel brace is maybe 3-4 pounds.

Thanks Charlie. Updated my first post to reflect that.

solty
10-15-2009, 09:31 AM
I got Pedders Xa's coilovers, and was amazed how much lighter they felt compared to the OEM struts. Any one ever documented the weight difference between the two...I would estimate 7 lbs per strut!!!!

Chewy
10-15-2009, 09:32 AM
Manifolds and cats I'm sure weigh a bunch more than long tubes with the small cats.

Air intake system removed for vararam has to remove a couple of pounds.

Smaller battery

Remove rear seat

Drivers weight. (one of the cheapest ways)

Remove tire pump and assembly from trunk.

fiveoh
10-15-2009, 09:33 AM
I've always wondered what the weight difference is of sport/premium vs base gt. Anyone know?

fiveoh
10-15-2009, 09:34 AM
Manifolds and cats I'm sure weigh a bunch more than long tubes with the small cats.

Smaller battery

Remove rear seat

Actually the cost of losing weight is way more then most people think. Unless you are grossly overweight.

Chewy
10-15-2009, 09:35 AM
Actually the cost of losing weight is way more then most people think. Unless you are grossly overweight.

Eat less exercise more... No need to buy special stuff...

wreckwriter
10-15-2009, 09:36 AM
Rear seat bottom is very light, I mean very. Rear seat backs a bit more but pulling them opens cabin into trunk where battery is (tech issue at most tracks).

Chewy
10-15-2009, 09:37 AM
Rear seat bottom is very light, I mean very. Rear seat backs a bit more but pulling them opens cabin into trunk where battery is (tech issue at most tracks).

I've had them all off and that hole could be filled VERY easily with a thin piece of plastic bolted into pre drilled holes IMO.

How far do you want to take this?

Setting it up for race only?

wreckwriter
10-15-2009, 09:43 AM
I've had them all off and that hole could be filled VERY easily with a thin piece of plastic bolted into pre drilled holes IMO.

Biggest issue is the pass-through in the center. I expect if an inspector knew it was there it would be an issue. But yea, you're right of course, you could cover holes if you were going full race.

MGM GT
10-15-2009, 10:04 AM
Sub frame weights - 10lbs

Passenger seat is heavy - easily 50lbs and only two bolts to take out at the track.

Rear seat back and mounting plates - ? Probably about 30lbs

Factory manifolds and cats - replace with long tube headers to save 30lbs

Replace exhaust - easily 30lb savings

OnStar box and backup battery - 5lbs

Engine cover and factory airbox - 7lbs

Hoodliner and vent blockoffs - 2lbs

Trunk liner - couple pounds

Foam block and air pump - 5lbs?

Factory speakers and amp - ? Replaced with Alpine and an easily removable sub box. Probably about 15lbs saved.

You already mentioned the battery, I changed to a 26R saving a good bit of weight about 20 like you said.

If you want a bit more there's the crash bars behind the bumpers at your own risk. I didnt do this but noticed it.

I got my race weight down to 3800lbs down from 4000 without trying too hard.

Robert@KBXPerformance
10-15-2009, 10:13 AM

I think we could keep this within reason. After all, most people are still going to use their G8 for a DD too. If we were talking about an all out race weight vehicle then things would get extreme pretty quickly.

Robert@KBXPerformance
10-15-2009, 10:19 AM
Sub frame weights - 10lbs

Passenger seat is heavy - easily 50lbs and only two bolts to take out at the track.

Rear seat back and mounting plates - ? Probably about 30lbs

Factory manifolds and cats - replace with long tube headers to save 30lbs

Replace exhaust - easily 30lb savings

OnStar box and backup battery - 5lbs

Engine cover and factory airbox - 7lbs

Hoodliner and vent blockoffs - 2lbs

Trunk liner - couple pounds

Foam block and air pump - 5lbs?

Factory speakers and amp - ? Replaced with Alpine and an easily removable sub box. Probably about 15lbs saved.

You already mentioned the battery, I changed to a 26R saving a good bit of weight about 20 like you said.

If you want a bit more there's the crash bars behind the bumpers at your own risk. I didnt do this but noticed it.

I got my race weight down to 3800lbs down from 4000 without trying too hard.

Good ideas. I noticed the crash bar when installing the FMIC while doing the TT. Maybe some all out racers would want to do it but I think most people would be best served by keeping it there for a little extra safety. :)

Robert@KBXPerformance
10-15-2009, 10:20 AM
- Eliminate XM radio box. Probably save about 4lbs. I am not an audio expert but I don't think this will have any adverse affect on the rest of the factory radio.

00 Trans Ram
10-15-2009, 11:05 AM
I always like to spearate weight loss into two categories - Free (no $$, just labor) and Not-Free (gotta buy something). Here's a list of "Free" stuff, mainly taken from what I did to take about 700lbs out of my Trans Am.

The main way to do this is to look at every specific piece (every black box, wire, welded-nut, etc.) and ask if it makes you go faster, stop quicker, or turn harder. If they answer is "no", then it can go.

FREE
- Remove entire interior. Scrape seam sealer goop from all the seams. Since these are DDs, when you're putting it back, only put back what you need. Leave out sound deadening foam (you can replace with a spray-on liner, or leave it out entirely).
- Remove HVAC system. This is extreme, but remember that most "real" muscle cars from the 60s didn't have A/C!
- Remove factory crash protection. Don't know exactly what's in there, but there are all kinds of foam blocks and "crumple" metal bars front and back. take apart the doors and remove the side-impact bars.
- Remove all airbags.
- Remove headliner and glue some felt to just cover the metal.
- If you have a sunroof, remove it and put in a filler panel.
- Lightweight battery and smaller gauge cables.
- Determine what is a structural member and what is not, then cut out what is not. For instance, there is metal that forms the back "shelf" behind the back seat for the speakers to mount in. That whole thing can probably go.
- Remove radio and speakers, with wiring.
- Remove horn
- Remove cruise control.
- Remove all environmental crap.
- Remove rear seats.
- Remove windshield wipers and motors (use Rain-X).
- Use a hole saw to creat more holes in sheet metal (don't compromise structural integrity!).
- Replace all light wiring with simple toggle switch and wires to each light; get rid of high beams and associated hardware).

NOT-FREE
- Replace front seats with lightweight race seats.
- Replace steering column and hydraulic system with manual rack-n-pinion and straight shaft (collapseable).
- Run 17" wheels and tires.
- Aftermarket tubular suspension pieces.
- Remove factory glass and replace with Lexan. You can even tint it, and no one will ever know. (no windshield wipers!)
- If you have a manual, replace clutch and flywheel with lightweight units (my stock clutch weighed 49.8lbs, the new 7.25" triple disc with fly weighs 19.8lbs).
- Replace dash with fiberglass or CF replica (a company can lay glass over your stock piece, then use that as a mold to make you a custom piece, if you want).

I'm sure there's more, but have fun with those! Pretty extreme, but some of them may work for you.

G8GXP4now
10-15-2009, 11:33 AM
Keep the bare minimum amount of gas in the car. Each gallon is approx 6lbs

jdeserio
10-15-2009, 12:50 PM
wow, how about a carbon fiber hood???can someone please make one! and one that is not crazy looking, just oem like or simple.
Replacing the whole exhaust system saved me some weight. and FTI torque converter was def lighter than the stock one..
Debadged it too!! lol almost 1lb there!

MGM GT
10-15-2009, 12:57 PM
FREE
- Remove entire interior. Scrape seam sealer goop from all the seams.

- Lightweight battery and smaller gauge cables.

NOT-FREE
- Replace front seats with lightweight race seats.

Dont scrape seam sealer, just makes a mess. Get some dry ice, freeze it then tap it with a hammer and it shatters. Then just pick up the pieces.

I dont think battery's and cables are free, haha.

I thought about race seats as I had a carbon fiber set out of my race car which were about 11lbs with cover but I haven't found any mounts for the G8... guess you could go custom.

R.Penguin
10-15-2009, 01:08 PM
Eat less exercise more... No need to buy special stuff...
Think about doing all of the above. Race it as is. Lie about how much faster you could go if you did all that shit.

That's my solution, and I'll live with my 13.74 at 105.

Aaaaaaaaaaah! :p

TomPierce
10-15-2009, 02:39 PM
Window regulators and motors. replace windows with plexiglass. Guesstimate 40 lbs???

MGM GT
10-15-2009, 04:04 PM
To those suggesting Lexan... its a real pain especially if your trying to keep the car a daily with functioning windows. Most anyone can tell they are there, they scratch easily, and at the track they usually bump you to a class where you wont be competitive but they are lighter then OEM glass.

Personally I think there are better and more effective ways to lose 30-40lbs. But if your running 8's and trying to get that 7.99 and have tried everything else then why not.

fiveoh
10-15-2009, 05:11 PM
- Eliminate XM radio box. Probably save about 4lbs. I am not an audio expert but I don't think this will have any adverse affect on the rest of the factory radio.

I have mine completely unplugged and the radio works fine. So I doubt it will make a difference if you take out the box.

616 of 933
10-15-2009, 05:55 PM
if you remove to much weight it will affect handling. each 100 lbs is what a 10th. but a 100 shot is worth 1 sec.

Robert@KBXPerformance
10-15-2009, 06:17 PM
if you remove to much weight it will affect handling.

How the handling is affected will depend on what was removed and what area it was removed from. In all likelihood most of that weight reduction will allow better handling provided you aren't removing structural members or other important items that affect suspension geometry or rigidity; or vastly shift weight distro.

each 100 lbs is what a 10th. but a 100 shot is worth 1 sec.

I already addressed that with the first post of this thread. Allot of us are WELL aware of how to make power with these cars. That still doesn't mean that a little attention cannot be focused on putting these cars on a bit of a diet. Some of us are already pretty modded so just adding a shot of nitrous on top is not exactly an option or needed.

Will it be easy to drop a few hundred pounds off of the G8's total weight without sacrificing creature comforts? Probably not at first. But as time goes by and people dig deeper into these cars more little tidbits of knowledge will come out to assist the dragracing crowd with feasible weight reduction options. This thread is intended as a compilation of those tidbits of information rather than just throwing more power at the situation.

00 Trans Ram
10-16-2009, 09:03 AM
As for the Lexan, I'd probably NOT replace the side windows. Lexan is not as rigid as regular glass, so it probably won't hold up to the motors moving it up and down. But, it'd be fine for the front/rear glass. Get the front coated, and it'll stand up to steel wool without scratching.

For the seats, it's actually REALLY easy to make custom mounts. In fact, my suggestion is to use more of an "adapter". Detatch the stock seat from the power base mount. Then, using just strips of steel to span the stock mounting holes for the seat, you can bolt on any aftermarket seat.

Devilish34
10-16-2009, 09:10 AM

Smaller battery

Remove rear seat

Ever notice eating health costs more ?

99-LS1-SS
10-16-2009, 09:23 AM
Think about doing all of the above. Race it as is. Lie about how much faster you could go if you did all that shit.

That's my solution, and I'll live with my 13.74 at 105.

Aaaaaaaaaaah! :p

Just imagine if you had your "propulsion system" working at the time of your 1/4 mile pass!!

http://improbable.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/thisone.jpg

jdeserio
10-17-2009, 08:08 PM

where is the xm radio box located?? is this in the trunk?

Robert@KBXPerformance
10-18-2009, 07:22 AM
where is the xm radio box located?? is this in the trunk?

Yes.

TLS
10-18-2009, 08:00 AM
A lot of the "heavier" and "easier" to remove items are in the trunk where we NEED weight for traction.

Are we forgetting about the windshield washer res? Think it can almost hold a gallon.

jdeserio
10-18-2009, 04:37 PM
Yes.

is it the box you see right when you open the trunk on the roof of the trunk? how do you remove it?

c5racr1
11-09-2009, 09:37 AM
gallon of gas is 2,2 pounds

SpeedRacerX
11-09-2009, 10:02 AM
Gallon of gas is between 5.9 and 6.4 pounds. Gallon of water is even heavier; gallon of lead would be very heavy. :)

gr8lover
11-09-2009, 12:45 PM

Boy I want to get this gas!!! :wacko:

616 of 933
11-09-2009, 02:11 PM
http://www.daleholley.com/nissan.htm

fiveoh
11-09-2009, 02:40 PM
http://www.daleholley.com/nissan.htm

AWesome

r33pwrd
11-09-2009, 02:57 PM
AWesome

they dropped 2 seconds for free! (ok the price of some saw blades :) )

GeorgeInNePa
11-09-2009, 07:58 PM

African or European?

MGM GT
11-21-2009, 07:14 PM
FYI... this piece is 19lbs

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/3061/2101/32651050071_large.jpg

GeorgeInNePa
11-21-2009, 07:24 PM
Next time I go to the track, I'm taking out the passenger seat!

;)

MGM GT
11-21-2009, 07:29 PM
Next time I go to the track, I'm taking out the passenger seat!

;)

Worth a try, its pretty heavy.

I was actually thinking about race seats but the mounts are unique. I figure you can save 100lbs easy replacing the front seats. The race seat in my last car was only 11lbs alone and about 13lbs mounted. Not the most comfortable thing though.

GeorgeInNePa
11-21-2009, 07:35 PM
Worth a try, its pretty heavy.

I was actually thinking about race seats but the mounts are unique. I figure you can save 100lbs easy replacing the front seats. The race seat in my last car was only 11lbs alone and about 13lbs mounted. Not the most comfortable thing though.

Yes, I'll bet it's 50-60lbs...

edmanet
11-21-2009, 08:56 PM
Yes, I'll bet it's 50-60lbs...

Thought you were going to let me drive ... LOL

GeorgeInNePa
11-21-2009, 09:12 PM
Thought you were going to let me drive ... LOL

I still will. Think of how quick it'll be then!

:woohoo:

MGM GT
11-22-2009, 06:19 AM
I still will. Think of how quick it'll be then!

I'm thinking ahead for next season... I know I'm going to get kicked out. So depending on how often they make that decision and how I feel about it I may be sneaking a 6pt in which will weigh a few pounds but allow me to race.

edmanet
11-22-2009, 06:21 AM
I'm thinking ahead for next season... I know I'm going to get kicked out. So depending on how often they make that decision and how I feel about it I may be sneaking a 6pt in which will weigh a few pounds but allow me to race.

I thought you sold your G8......or did I miss something while I was on injured reserve??

George....me plus the seat = -160 lbs.

MGM GT
11-22-2009, 06:31 AM
I thought you sold your G8......or did I miss something while I was on injured reserve??

George....me plus the seat = -160 lbs.

You miss stuff sitting on the IR list!

I was trying to sell it, for some reason nobody jumped on the cheapest one in the country for sale. But I like it again and am now keeping it and re-modifying it! :woohoo: Getting the normal cam/converter/valve job upgrades in addition I'll be upping the wet shot once its all tuned and ready.

GeorgeInNePa
11-22-2009, 11:45 AM

Are you doing a bolt-in?

If yes, let us know the details, please.

MGM GT
11-22-2009, 12:39 PM
Are you doing a bolt-in?

If yes, let us know the details, please.

Believe unibody cars have to have welded 6" base plates. I think you can scrape by with sandwiched base plates on both sides of the factory sheetmetal with Grade 8 hardware but not 100% on that.

GeorgeInNePa
11-22-2009, 12:55 PM
Believe unibody cars have to have welded 6" base plates. I think you can scrape by with sandwiched base plates on both sides of the factory sheetmetal with Grade 8 hardware but not 100% on that.

Pretty sure you're correct. 6x6 welded or 2-6x6 sandwiched bolted.

MGM GT
11-25-2009, 01:32 PM
In addition to saving 19bs by replacing the resonators, these only weigh 16lbs and replace the factory boat anchors. You can easily remove almost 100lbs from this car from the exhaust alone if you replace the headers, cats, resonators, and mufflers!.

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/3061/2101/32651050073_large.jpg

MGM GT
11-25-2009, 04:54 PM
FYI the stock mufflers are 20.2lbs each so 40.4lbs resulting in 24.4lbs weight savings! Not to mention the SLP's sound F'n amazing!!

fiveoh
12-01-2009, 04:52 PM
Has anyone thats replaced the stock 8" subs weighed them? I'm trying to figure out how much they weigh.

MGM GT
12-01-2009, 05:29 PM
Has anyone thats replaced the stock 8" subs weighed them? I'm trying to figure out how much they weigh.

I removed them but don't remember exactly what they weighed, wasn't much as they are cheap subs with small magnets. I dont think it was more then 2lbs each as the CDT's I temporarily replaced them with were a good bit heavier and they only weigh 4lbs each.

FYI - Some quality door speakers with some damping applied to the door give you about as much bass as the free air setup.

fiveoh
12-01-2009, 05:45 PM
I removed them but don't remember exactly what they weighed, wasn't much as they are cheap subs with small magnets. I dont think it was more then 2lbs each as the CDT's I temporarily replaced them with were a good bit heavier and they only weigh 4lbs each.

FYI - Some quality door speakers with some damping applied to the door give you about as much bass as the free air setup.

I'm planning on doing a sub in a box in the trunk, just trying to figure out how much weight I would be adding. Thanks for the info!

MGM GT
12-01-2009, 05:57 PM
I'm planning on doing a sub in a box in the trunk, just trying to figure out how much weight I would be adding. Thanks for the info!

Check out MDF-lite, my box is made of that and its a good 20lbs lighter then a normal MDF box.

MGM GT
02-05-2010, 08:08 AM
Rear center console and under seat braces are 15lbs.

edmanet
03-07-2010, 10:19 AM
My 16" CCW rims and DR setup saved me 84 lbs.

MGM GT
03-07-2010, 10:52 AM
My 16" CCW rims and DR setup saved me 84 lbs.

Wish I could save 84lbs for less then $3,000!

Don't the front runners save most of the weight?

bwooten492
03-07-2010, 11:16 AM
In addition to saving 19bs by replacing the resonators, these only weigh 16lbs and replace the factory boat anchors. You can easily remove almost 100lbs from this car from the exhaust alone if you replace the headers, cats, resonators, and mufflers!.

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/3061/2101/32651050073_large.jpg

That looks familiar!

fiveoh
03-09-2010, 09:18 AM
Has anyone weighed the stock brakes? The bear system says they are lightweight and only weight 6.5lbs, I was curoius how much the stockers weigh.

616 of 933
06-07-2010, 04:37 PM
any new tips

JonnyG2132
06-09-2010, 09:52 AM
Has anyone weighed the stock brakes? The bear system says they are lightweight and only weight 6.5lbs, I was curoius how much the stockers weigh.

anyone know about this? im curious too

EDIT: Nevermind. Found out all i needed to know about brakes in the brakes section. Its not worth doing

MGM GT
06-09-2010, 11:27 AM

Must be the caliper only, no rotor only weighs 6.5lbs.

GeorgeInNePa
06-09-2010, 02:46 PM
Wish I could save 84lbs for less then $3,000!

Don't the front runners save most of the weight?

Just weighed the GTO spares and M&H bias ply runners.

they were 53.3lbs. in a box.

Figure on 25lbs. each or less than half of what a stock wheel and tire combo weigh.

MGM GT
06-09-2010, 03:04 PM
Just weighed the GTO spares and M&H bias ply runners.

they were 53.3lbs. in a box.

Figure on 25lbs. each or less than half of what a stock wheel and tire combo weigh.

Nice! I think thats the same as the shipping weight on mine, hopefully they make a difference.

wnt2gofst
06-09-2010, 03:27 PM
Nice! I think thats the same as the shipping weight on mine, hopefully they make a difference.

I am hoping also..I will test them next friday hopefully. Hoping it help drop about a tenth or so..

MGM GT
06-09-2010, 04:17 PM
I am hoping also..I will test them next friday hopefully. Hoping it help drop about a tenth or so..

If these drop even a tenth and the gears drop .15-.2 I will be more then happy!

JonnyG2132
06-09-2010, 07:10 PM
What are some good 18" lightweight wheels that i can put on all 4 tires and drive around with everyday, that wont cost me thousands of dollars?

bigo
06-24-2010, 10:33 AM
What lightweight battery do y'all recommend and website to buy it at? I'm not familiar with the specs of the battery either and I don't take my G8 to the track.

JonnyG2132
07-25-2010, 05:52 AM
can anyone add anymore to this thread? Interested

wreckwriter
07-25-2010, 06:05 AM
If you really want to lighten the car look into replacing front seats. Those turds are heavy.

JonnyG2132
07-25-2010, 06:09 AM
If you really want to lighten the car look into replacing front seats. Those turds are heavy.

what could i put there in place of the stock seats that will bolt right in?

wreckwriter
07-25-2010, 06:13 AM
what could i put there in place of the stock seats that will bolt right in?

Nothing that I know of. I have only drivers seat in mine, pax seat and rear seats are out.

JonnyG2132
07-25-2010, 06:16 AM
Nothing that I know of. I have only drivers seat in mine, pax seat and rear seats are out.

what do you think you saved by taking those out? 75 lbs?

wreckwriter
07-25-2010, 06:22 AM
what do you think you saved by taking those out? 75 lbs?

Yea, about that. Rear seats are light but front is a dog. There's a few pounds in the rear pass-thru fold-down but I'm going to have to bolt up a piece of aluminum to meet rear firewall rules. I've got the metal, just have to put it in.

gardnertroy
01-28-2012, 05:17 PM
how about front sway bar like the ls1 f bodys ? you'll also get more weight transfer

wreckwriter
01-28-2012, 05:51 PM
More transfer? Really?? Hmmmm....

gardnertroy
01-30-2012, 07:08 PM
allowed my front to lift easier on my 2000 z28 not sure if it would work on g8,s or not ???? or even what they weigh

JonnyG2132
02-04-2012, 08:16 AM
so you guys think the drivers side seat and pass seat weigh about 75 lbs each? What do race seats weigh? is there such thing as a comfortable race seat?

wreckwriter
02-04-2012, 08:56 AM
75 is a good guess. My seat weighs 10 or so. its very comfortable but probably not all day on the highway. There are good options but they're pricey and not direct fit.

JonnyG2132
02-04-2012, 09:03 AM
are any of them a direct fit? Which seat do you have? What all is needed to install it? I have a guy that does custom work.

wreckwriter
02-04-2012, 09:06 AM
I don't think any are direct fit. You need some sort of brackets fabbed. Mine is a Kirkey aluminum seat, you want that on the street.

JonnyG2132
02-04-2012, 09:15 AM
I don't think any are direct fit. You need some sort of brackets fabbed. Mine is a Kirkey aluminum seat, you want that on the street.

I want the Kirkey Aluminum seat on the street? Why? Comfort?

JonnyG2132
02-04-2012, 09:44 AM
What size fits in our car? I just some out on Ebay. Is this what you are talking about? http://compare.ebay.com/like/130591161680?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

or something like this? http://www.ebay.com/itm/KIRKEY-ECONOMY-SEAT-TUBE-CONTN-20-17-5-IMCA-MODIFIED-/220709448721?_trksid=p3284.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSI%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BUA%2 52BFICS%26otn%3D21%26pmod%3D130591161680%26ps%3D54

wreckwriter
02-05-2012, 02:09 PM
You don't want it due to comfort, lack of adjustability, stock belts won't work, etc. None of them 'fit'. You have to have brackets attached to the floor. I used this one http://kirkeyracing.com/index.php?link=browse&code=Series41

JonnyG2132
02-05-2012, 09:08 PM
Well I want it for saving weight, but I also want it to not kill my back or my ass. You dont have padding on yours? I would def want one with some padding

shane
04-08-2012, 12:52 PM
Ok im going to revive this thread.

So far i've removed

Rear subframe weights
Front Crash support
Tire foam thing and pump
On star and XM boxes
Trans tunnel brace
hood liner and vents

Also just ordered a set of Skinnies for the front.

Trying to think where else i could save some weight.

STL_G8GT
04-08-2012, 12:54 PM
Ok im going to revive this thread.

So far i've removed

Rear subframe weights
Front Crash support
Tire foam thing and pump
On star and XM boxes
Trans tunnel brace
hood liner and vents

Also just ordered a set of Skinnies for the front.

Trying to think where else i could save some weight.

Smaller/lighter battery? Probably give up some cca's, though.

shane
04-08-2012, 12:59 PM
Yea thats the other thing i was thinking was the battery just haven't decided yet. Just trying to get the car around the 3950 mark in race trim without me in the car

With the 20's all around it was 4020 with 1/4 tank and me not in the car.

desertg8
04-15-2012, 06:17 AM
be carful on the battery. todays car needs them for proper fuel pressure. when i had a small battery the fuel pressure dropped at high rpms/loads. the battery in modern cars is just not for starting the car.

shane
04-27-2012, 07:27 PM
Did a few tiny things things like the rear weights and xm box and onstar and put 17's all around and skinnies in front
Results are in.

before with 20's all around it was 4020 with around 1/4 tank
Just now with 17's all around and slicks and 1/4 tank
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/s720x720/292622_10150689579827539_685082538_9155194_8919928 29_n.jpg

JonnyG2132
04-29-2012, 06:17 AM
what are rear weights? Would you say that going from 20s to 17s made the biggest difference?

shane
04-29-2012, 11:57 AM
Yes the 17's made a big difference and the skinnys also help. I never weighed the car with the 20's up front and 17's out back, but did weigh it with 17's all around once i did the skinnys.

TonyKarter
04-29-2012, 12:30 PM
Factory exhaust manifolds removed in place of headers? Anyone want to venture a guess at weight saved? Spare tire well cover...3-4 pounds? Gallon of gas: 6.2 lb.

Blk.drgn@hotmail.com
01-28-2013, 04:27 PM
Here are a few ideas for things that you really don't NEED.
-Fog lights
-ABS system
-Glove Box
-Side and centre rear view mirrors
-I know many have said wheels, but even just skinnier front rubber will move a couple lbs.
-Wipers/ wiper arms (use rain-x like on power tour)
-Interior Visors
-Obviously only a key in the ignition for things to have on the inside with you, including no spare or tire inflation kit.

I have not weighed any of these, put ever ounce counts ;) especially with the more major ideas here, I had slim pickens by now.

66GTO
05-27-2013, 09:07 PM
It's not cost effective but most of the pound pinchers here are high HP so a light weight HD drive shaft would be a good addition anyway, if nothing else get one if the oem fails...

G8-4-Speed
08-08-2013, 12:18 PM
Not sure if it is practical but 5th gen Camaros have aluminum spindles VS G8 that has cast iron. For guys using mini batteries, consider a BAP for the fuel pump. I know, adding weight for weight removed....

Edsel1134
08-08-2013, 01:02 PM
Any one know coilovers to stock strut weight? Tend to be wayyyy lighter remove all the heat shielding an sound damp under the car my shit rattles anyways
Cat delete
Exhaust swap
Hmm I've seen drifters make CF dash for their GTO's and remove a shit ton of weight prolly can happen
Back seat delete
Cf rear doors remove panels and mech
Some things I would do
But won't because I loves my g8
Also
One more thing sure its been discussed but
Rotational mass is a big factor.. Every one loves those 20 inch rims even me but the car has to rotate those

RedSexy
08-08-2013, 01:13 PM
Some weights to take into consideration.

Stock 19" Sport wheels w/tire = 55-56lbs ea.
GTO Spares = 28lbs ea.
17x9.5" Z06 replicas with 275/40/14 = 47lbs

Not just weight loss, Also Rotating weight on the hubs of the car.

My G8 on 22" wheels (67lbs ea.) ran a 12.43@112 and switching to my Drag pack got me 11.88@117mph.

BIG DIFFERENCE!
Wei